• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise Sells 3 Million Units Worldwide

Go_Ly_Dow

Japanese game industry not in shambles.
No BS "AAAA" like Ubisoft, lower dev costs, efficient development time, partnerships with supporting companies in East and South Asia.

Whilst the Japanese gaming market may have declined for some traditional games, Japanese publishers overall look well placed to do well at a global level with their IPs.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Worst Tales 😉

Oh No Woman GIF by Ka-pow

I wonder why Capcom and Konami dont jump back into the JRPG world with Breath of Fire and Suikoden.
Capcom would need a JRPG director and team, and Konami would need…well, their new Silent Hill and MGS games to sell first.

If those games don’t sell Konami is probably going to disappear again and reassess. They honestly don’t need to make AAA games to make money, so everything they've been doing recently feels like a courtesy to help gain back a good public image.

xrnzaaas

I'm glad the game landed in Game Pass. I want to like it, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen. Gonna use GP once again to play the game like a trial version... and then maybe buy it.

Last edited:

Allandor

Well just completed my run through this game and bought the expansion last week. I like this game, but the fight system is a bit in transparent. You can quickly loose the overview, so I set everything to Auto and just hit a button on the special attacks. This way the character can also use all skills. If you fight manually you can only use skills bound to buttons.

But I really enjoyed the characters, atmosphere etc.

I really hoped for better numbers for this game. Would be a real loss for gaming if even this series changes it's genre to get to new audiences (looking at you Final Fantasy).

Well just completed my run through this game and bought the expansion last week. I like this game, but the fight system is a bit in transparent. You can quickly loose the overview, so I set everything to Auto and just hit a button on the special attacks. This way the character can also use all skills. If you fight manually you can only use skills bound to buttons.

But I really enjoyed the characters, atmosphere etc.

I really hoped for better numbers for this game. Would be a real loss for gaming if even this series changes it's genre to get to new audiences (looking at you Final Fantasy).
Don't worry, these are great numbers for a Tales game! Here's some various sales milestone I've posted in the last thread back when they reached 2.7M units sold.

GrHyNJ6.jpg

I wonder why Capcom and Konami dont jump back into the JRPG world with Breath of Fire and Suikoden.

Also Sony

RPGs are really expensive to make, largely require pretty large teams and not all IP sells.

Sony took their big shot with Legend of Dragoon and it didn't sell well enough. They published a few other RPGs but they shied away from internal development.

Capcom and Konami really haven't had that much success with it either. Tales has always been larger than Breath of Fire and Suikoden.

Sony's most successful RPGs have been Legend of Dragoon and Arc The Lad. Neither ever topped 2 million.

I'm not sure Suikoden and Breath of Fire ever topped more than a million with a single game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
For the ppl saying worst Tales game, could you elaborate?

Skifi28

Certainly not bad, but after Granblue relink it's hard to go back. All I can think of is "This is what modern tales could have been like".

DeathGuise

The last Tales game I played was Symphonia. I loved it. But it was one of those things where, when I was done, I was done. Are there any that are as good or better than that one? Is Arise on that level?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm glad they invested a little more into the production values and it payed off, but I'm also bummed because I didn't think Arise was very good and I hope they don't just double down on that direction forever.

Fbh

It's good to see the game sold well after they finally improved the production values.
The game itself has a solid core but the plot and character were pretty underwhelming. If they can keep these production values for the next one, make it a bit shorter and improve writing it should be great.

stn

My first entry to the Tales series, and it was excellent. I'll be getting around to the DLC as soon as I clear some backlog.

Paltheos

Worst Tales 😉

I think that undersells all the things the game does well, even if yeah the whole package isn't that great. This is my post from last year summing up my feelings:

Mid on the whole (my ranking is Vesperia>Graces>Berseria>Zestiria>Abyss>Arise>Symphonia>Xillia or something close). The game does allot of stuff right and allot wrong. Off the top of my head:

+Presentation's on a whole other level. The world is so much bigger than before and the combat is as flashy as Tales has ever been.
+Sakuraba swung and hit this time. Most of his music is really good - particular shoutouts to the main battle theme and the dynamic tracks in major dungeons that switch gears depending on whether you're in the field or battle.
+Start of the story is decently exciting and the main duo have good chemistry. I dig the Utena callback and the fire sword in general.
-Ironically, the mixing is kind of garbage, making the awesome tracks not as easy to hear as they should be and somehow Bandai doesn't have individual volume sliders for different sounds (music/voice/sfx are the standard three).
-Some elements of the combat interface were annihilated. For god knows what reason, AI instructions for your teammates are not available in this title and you can't... say, instruct your party to attack other monsters on the field instead of the one you're trying to combo. Baffling.
-The rest of the cast did not land with me. Part of this might be related to replacing the 2D animated artwork in skits with their in-game 3D models which have... just so less personality.
-Story falls to pieces by the end, as is often the case in Tales games, but this one's particularly memorable for its mind-numbingly long and tedious cutscenes by the end. Middle section isn't great either.

Doom85

My 2nd least favorite Tales I’ve played after Xillia 2. Characters were one-note, the supposed threat of the antagonists was rapidly diminished, the changes to skits in style was awful and also just had characters expositing or repeating their one or two personality traits which is a far cry from the variety prior Tales skits provided, etc.

Abyss, Berseria, and Vesperia are god tier. Symphonia is excellent. Xillia 1 is pretty good if unremarkable in every category. Graces F and Zesteria have some great stuff but some really dumb shit too balancing them out to be decent.

Xillia 2 is the worst because just throwing us the EXACT same maps from Xillia 1 for 90% of the game is inexcusable. And to charge full price for that shit, just WOW.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Personally, I didn't like it as much as Vesperia or Berseria (I think Berseria is still my favorite).

The whole third act of this game was a mess - it felt like Disc 2 Xenogears.

Top Bottom