• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss [3DS] |OT| "The wait better be worth it!" - PALland

Ydahs

2D arts are problably lower res, but considering sound is very space consuming, you are probably right. Still, 3DS games are the first handheld games to hit 2GB and we are already complaining.

Not really complaining, just making an observation. It's a very good port all considered.

Hopefully it's successful enough for Namco to continue developing Tales series on the 3DS, since the 3D is a treat.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Audio quality is what surprised me the most in this game, it's very good and there is a massive amount of dialog.

Game is very smooth. I really like it. I had a 25 euros discount coupon on game and got the only copy that my nearby store got.

Pretty awesome.

Boken

Banned
Ok this same does seem rare.

It's sold out at ozgameshop. I probably should've preordered this along with MK7 and SM3DL : (

weeaboo

Wow so I guess Namco has distributed ten copies across Europe. I will burn my Abyss and future Graces F copies if they say "no english Xillia because Abyss bombed". God, fucking awful company.

Gambit

Ok this same does seem rare.

It's sold out at ozgameshop. I probably should've preordered this along with MK7 and SM3DL : (

Wow so I guess Namco has distributed ten copies across Europe.

Haha, even Amazon.de is already sold out and only 3rd party sellers offer it for 50 bucks. Has to be one of the lowest print runs ever.

Stop it you all. You are scaring me! I meant to wait for a (brief) price drop. If you continue, you'll make me buy the game right away, despite having no time to play it atm.

It's all your fault!

Famassu

Play.com seems to have it in stock, although it's probabaly one of the more expensive places to buy it. TheHut has "usually dispatched within a month" and BlahDVD doesn't seem to have even gotten it in yet ("new release - awaiting stock from supplier"). Yeah, seems like Bamco really botched this release. Glad I pre-ordered it.

Stuart444

Wow so I guess Namco has distributed ten copies across Europe.

I'll say this yet again, it's the retailers decision on how many they order and how they sell them (ie GAME not having them in store at all).

Namco's only fault is not marketing them that great in general (not just in europe) but distribution wise, it's the retailer decision as to how many they buy.

weeaboo

I'll say this yet again, it's the retailers decision on how many they order and how they sell them (ie GAME not having them in store at all).

Namco's only fault is not marketing them that great in general (not just in europe) but distribution wise, it's the retailer decision as to how many they buy.

kay T_T

storafötter;32993827 said:
What does that even mean when a game is under investigation?

They are investigating where they can find more copies!

They are investigating where they can find more copies!

I had a feeling it could mean that, well at least it is sought after? :p

The article page on amazon.de says that the game is in english and german. But in fact, the game isn't localized. Only the manual and the cover should be in german.

Amazon says that some customers filed complaints because of that. That's why they investigate - which shouldn't take too long: Namco themselves said on their homepage that the game won't be translated into german many weeks ago.

Maybe amazon.de has contacted their supplier now, because they suspect they got a wrong shipment. Well, they should just take a look at the USK logo to make sure that this really is the german retail version.

Thanks for the clarification. I hope it doesn't put off German buyers even if it is lazy to not localize into more languages.

The sad thing is that only the US version is registered on one of the biggest online stores here in Norway. Another place says that it has 0 copies in the warehouse.

Pezking

storafötter;32993827 said:
What does that even mean when a game is under investigation?

The article page on amazon.de says that the game is in english and german. But in fact, the game isn't localized. Only the manual and the cover should be in german.

Amazon says that some customers filed complaints because of that. That's why they investigate - which shouldn't take too long: Namco themselves said on their homepage that the game won't be translated into german many weeks ago.

Maybe amazon.de has contacted their supplier now, because they suspect they got a wrong shipment. Well, they should just take a look at the USK logo to make sure that this really is the german retail version.

Oxx

When it comes to super-niche games like this, it obviously makes sense for publishers to offer up pre-order incentives or collector's editions so that retailers have some clue about the size of the audience.

Obviously Namco don't really care.

Stuart444

When it comes to super-niche games like this, it obviously makes sense for publishers to offer up pre-order incentives or collector's editions so that retailers have some clue about the size of the audience.

Obviously Namco don't really care.

Offer up things that may end up being a waste of money if they don't get the expected sales they want or need to make the incentives or CEs worth while.

Graces f may get a CE (at least in America) though. not surprised a hand held port wouldn't.

well I got the game last friday at a GS store here in Spain. let me first say I got Dark Souls from the same GS store on its launch day, well here's the thing, while there wasn't any problem when I bought Dark Souls (tgey received plenty of units for every platform) this time they only received 3 copies of TotA. before I went to that GS store I had previously tried to get the game from three other retailers (a very big and well known onehere in Spain, FNAC and Game) but none of them had it, so in the end I was lucky finding a copy (even more, the only still sealed copy they had).

there's something else that makes me more mad at Scamco,and it is because the game seems to have just one PAL version. the spanish cover is the same as the UK and french ones, they have released the same package across all Europe, even the instruction manual comes mainly in emglish and french, with only 4-5 pages as a quick guide for other european languages.if I knew this before I would
have bought it from Amazon.co.uk

so,from my experience, what a bad launch, just when I thought Scamco couldn't do any worse...

kanugo

Well, even zavvi are out of stock. "Availability: Usually dispatched within a month".

Should I buy the game from amazon.co.uk? I mean, we don't know if any of these stores are getting another stock of the game, right?

Zafir

Well, even zavvi are out of stock. "Availability: Usually dispatched within a month".

Should I buy the game from amazon.co.uk? I mean, we don't know if any of these stores are getting another stock of the game, right?

I find it hard to believe they won't restock when there's clearly some demand for it. However, this is bamco we're talking about, so who knows.
well I got the game last friday at a GS store here in Spain. let me first say I got Dark Souls from the same GS store on its launch day, well here's the thing, while there wasn't any problem when I bought Dark Souls (tgey received plenty of units for every platform) this time they only received 3 copies of TotA. before I went to that GS store I had previously tried to get the game from three other retailers (a very big and well known onehere in Spain, FNAC and Game) but none of them had it, so in the end I was lucky finding a copy (even more, the only still sealed copy they had).

there's something else that makes me more mad at Scamco,and it is because the game seems to have just one PAL version. the spanish cover is the same as the UK and french ones, they have released the same package across all Europe, even the instruction manual comes mainly in emglish and french, with only 4-5 pages as a quick guide for other european languages.if I knew this before I would
have bought it from Amazon.co.uk

so,from my experience, what a bad launch, just when I thought Scamco couldn't do any worse...
Clearly they didn't think it would sell well enough to warrant the further printing costs/translations. Which is funny really, they mentioned they thought the game would sell 250k. Fat chance at this rate.

Zornica

Banned
Stop it you all. You are scaring me! I meant to wait for a (brief) price drop. If you continue, you'll make me buy the game right away, despite having no time to play it atm.

It's all your fault!

I was waiting for a slight drop below 40€ too... and now it jumped up to 50+€ -_-

I'm not sure on how to proceed from here on... - the only sure thing: I wont pay more than 40€.

RpgN

bol.com (Dutch site) doesn't have it in stock anymore, now you can reserve a copy and they're giving an estimation of 2 December as well...

Luigiv

These online retailers running out of stock is making me nervous. I was going to wait a bit before buying the game but I guess I'll do it today.

Edit: And bought.

First impressions; combat is fun, writing is sloppy.

RpgN

You know, most shops haven't even received their first stock yet. Could it be a marketing ploy to create demand and raise awareness on purpose?

You know, most shops haven't even received their first stock yet. Could it be a marketing ploy to create demand and raise awareness on purpose?

No. It's just Namco being unable to convince retailers to stock the game. Same thing happened to Pacman & Galaga Dimensions (the only time it ever came to stores was through the pre-owned bargain bin)

Well, given that the PS2 version is 2.8GB and the 3DS version is 2GB, I'm willing to bet the audio quality did take a hit.

Nah. They probably made most of their file size savings from trimming down the size of the FMV (from 512 x 480 down to 400 X 240) and using a more modern video codec. They might've had to reduce the sound quality of a few voice samples though I guess (which is probably why you're only hearing a bit of crackling with a few voice samples, rather than all of them)

Still waiting for my copy to arrive... grr...

RpgN

No. It's just Namco being unable to convince retailers to stock the game. Same thing happened to Pacman & Galaga Dimensions (the only time it ever came to stores was through the pre-owned bargain bin)

That sounds reasonable, only...isn't it a bit odd that many stores do have it on sale and pre-orders yet they haven't received anything yet? The stores that don't want to have it in stock, don't add it to the database, isn't that how it goes?

For instance, Bart Smit, the biggest Dutch retailer when it comes to games (and toys in general), doesn't sell it. You won't find it on their site and employee's don't know the game even exists. Your explanation sounds fitting to this example.

Sadist said:
Namco-Bandai and raising the awareness of a Tales game? You're funny :p

Well...I didn't necessarily mean big sales but pushing the small base they have, to buy the game early and perhaps create a slightly bigger demand?

It's not much of an effort on Scamco's part, more of a lazy attempt to get more sales in a quick way.

That sounds reasonable, only...isn't it a bit odd that many stores do have it on sale and pre-orders yet they haven't received anything yet?

You're right, it is odd. Namco probably didn't ship enough copies (maybe they decided to reduce shipment numbers after the likes of Game rejected them?)

Nemesis_

I picked it up from JB HiFi in Western Australia on Thursday.

Great game, though I need to put a lot more time into it. I hate the fact skits are so common but aren't voiced. Did Vesperia spoil me or is this normal for the series?

Luigiv

To any fellow aussies, does JB have this game?
I haven't had a chance to go to see.

Yep. I can confirm that despite their laziness to make a product page for it on their website pre launch (they have one now) they did have copies on the shelf by at least day 2. The amount of stock seems pretty decent too.

Anyway, more impressions:
- I hate the Cheagles. In a perfect world Mieu would have burnt down his own nesting ground with himself and all the other Cheagles inside.

- I find it rather ironic that the skits didn't make the cut for the English dub and yet they're the only dialogue segments that cant be sped up with button presses. It's kinda eerie watching the portraits go through their full animation sequences in near (and sometime absolute) silence.

- Looks like Namco's budget for this port was smaller then I originally thought. The UI is hideously unoptimised for the small screen. Fonts are all over the place.

- Battles are still fun.

Datschge

Great game, though I need to put a lot more time into it. I hate the fact skits are so common but aren't voiced. Did Vesperia spoil me or is this normal for the series?
Voiced skits are a core feature of the series in Japan, but Vesperia and ToS-R were only the first ones where Namco bothered to voice skits for Western releases as well.

Top Bottom