• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss [3DS] |OT| "The wait better be worth it!" - PALland

Midou

I personally prefer Abyss to Symphonia, but I think that comes down to preference of characters/story. It's more of the same greatness really.

I felt Abyss was only time I felt there was something really good going on with a Tales story, the twists were nice.

Symphonia is a great game as well don't get me wrong. :p

- I hate the Cheagles. In a perfect world Mieu would have burnt down his own nesting ground with himself and all the other Cheagles inside.

I'm usually very tolerable of these sort of cute characters but damn it Mieu is irritating so far and that's only around 2 hours in, at least i'm comforted by Luke's abuse of the high pitched "thing" so far.
Nothing quite as horrifying as coming to the realization that every time I use the sorcerer's ring it's announced with some kind of squeal.

PKrockin

I'm usually very tolerable of these sort of cute characters but damn it Mieu is irritating so far and that's only around 2 hours in, at least i'm comforted by Luke's abuse of the high pitched "thing" so far.
Nothing quite as horrifying as coming to the realization that every time I use the sorcerer's ring it's announced with some kind of squeal.

Have some more comfort in knowing Mieu gets involved with story scenes less and less as the game goes on.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mieu is my least favourite Tales mascot by far. Don't worry, as the game goes on, he gets less involved, and becomes a little... endearing, I guess. But I took comfort in Luke's abuse of it too. :lol

Tipo and Tenebrae are where it's at.

I didn't find Mieu that annoying. (Although admittedly, I did enjoy seeing Luke punt him a few times.)

Quick question about the in-battle framerate: Does it dip a lot when there's a lot of on screen effects, or is locked at 30fps at all times?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I didn't find Mieu that annoying. (Although admittedly, I did enjoy seeing Luke punt him a few times.)

Quick question about the in-battle framerate: Does it dip a lot when there's a lot of on screen effects, or is locked at 30fps at all times?
There's slowdown on the field sometimes, but so far I haven't seen any in battles (3 hours in).

PKrockin

Best mascot characters

1. Repede
2. Tenebrae
3. Noishe
4. Quickie
5. Mieu

The construction of this list was instantaneous and 90% determined by (a.) how moe they are and (b.) how annoying their voice is.

Zafir

It'a shame that Tenebrae's greatness is let down by the 2 main characters.

Mieu is a funny one for me. He is annoying, and I can totally see why people find him annoying. However, he really didn't bother me. Which actually is very surprising, because I'm not usually that tolerant.

Luigiv

It'a shame that Tenebrae's greatness is let down by the 2 main characters.

Mieu is a funny one for me. He is annoying, and I can totally see why people find him annoying. However, he really didn't bother me. Which actually is very surprising, because I'm not usually that tolerant.

What? How can you possible say that looking into this face doesn't incite strong urges to beat it in with a baseball bat?

igjsd.jpg

I mean just look at him! He's absolutely repulsive.

Zafir

What? How can you possible say that looking into this face doesn't incite strong urges to beat it in with a baseball bat?

igjsd.jpg

I mean just look at him! He's absolutely repulsive.
Oh believe me, I don't know how I manage it. It just, doesn't bother me.

Ok so it's finally here! The battles are indeed 30FPS, disappointing.

But everything else is rock solid. Everything else is exactly like the PS2 version. Controls feel good (touch screen shortcuts are very helpful) and the loading times are practically non existent! (the loading icons aren't even necessary)

I noticed that the training dialogue with Van was cut, a minor thing but it was probably done to help cut down on the file size to fit it onto a 2GB card.

As for the S3D, it's a medium strength effect that doesn't really add much to the experience, but gives everything a pleasant "doll house" look. Unneccessary, but nice all the same. I just wish that they had deactivated the Depth of Field effect when 3D is turned on (the effect just doesn't work in 3D, it makes everything look smeary)

Aside from the 30FPS battles, seems like a great port (especially seen as how the world map actually runs at a smooth 30FPS now, instead of the jittery 15FPS it used to run at!), the loading times being exorcized alone make it so much more enjoyable to play than the original PS2 version that it's just comical!

Recommended!

The 3D effect during the skits is pretty intense. Probably the most intense 3D I've seen so far on the system, even though it's essentially just an animated 2D layer on top of the game environments.

weeaboo

The 3D effect during the skits is pretty intense. Probably the most intense 3D I've seen so far on the system, even though it's essentially just an animated 2D layer on top of the game environments.

Yeah I don't like the 3D in this game at all but the "popup" effect of the text and the skits is very nice.

Yep, the 3D in this game is pretty unimpressive otherwise and I actually just turned it on to drain the battery faster, but I'm still somewhat amazed by how striking the 3D can get on the system.

marc^o^

Yep, the 3D in this game is pretty unimpressive otherwise and I actually just turned it on to drain the battery faster, but I'm still somewhat amazed at how striking the 3D can get.
3D in this game is inconsistent. In some areas it looks amazing, in others it's barely noticeable. Still, for a launch game PS2 port it's pretty impressive, makes me believe future RPGs will look fabulous on this console.

I'm not a proponent of the 3D for this one, having the text boxes pop out so far away from everything else is really distracting to me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tenebrae is the one single good thing about that gigantic pile of shit.
Eh, I actually kind of like Knight of Ratatosk. I don't like how easy the battle system is, though. Free Run abuse. I generally dislike using Free Run in Tales games. :/

But Tenebrae is definitely the best thing about that game. So snarky.

Edit: Repede counts as a mascot? Repede is awesome. Forgot about Quickie and Noishe as well. It's been a while, lol. Coda (ToI) is okay too, rude and blunt. Do Paneer (Radiant Mythology 2), Corrine (Tales of Symphonia) and Geit (Tales of Legendia) count?

weeaboo

*7 hours*

Abyss have a really good cast, Luke is growing on me, Jade and Tear are awesome and the evil guys looks interesting... i even like Mieu. The story is slow paced but seems promising. Good game, I'm having fun :D

marc^o^

*7 hours*

Abyss have a really good cast, Luke is growing on me, Jade and Tear are awesome and the evil guys looks interesting... i even like Mieu. The story is slow paced but seems promising. Good game, I'm having fun :D
6 hours in, combat and story are getting better and better. I'm so glad I bought this, nothing like a good RPG to play in the train :)

Gambit

You know, I only played a little bit of the PS2-version and I am surprised so many of you disliked Luke. I found his being a brat really refreshing. The way he treated Mieu was great!

Anyway, I am still taking my chance and waiting with ordering the 3DS version. I won't be able to play before Christmas and hope it'll still be available then.

Luigiv

8 hours in. The story so far can be summarised as;

Fon fon fon fon fonic fon fon fon fonon fon fon finic fonon fon fon fon.

Truly world and lore building at it's finest.

Sadist

7 hours in as well. It's good as usual. The best thing about Mieu is when Luke abuses the little freak :D

Guy's phobia is... weird.

marc^o^

I love this game. I hadn't played a JRPG for ages and I was surprised by combat, it really shines.

RpgN

I still haven't received my copy :( I called them like 3 times and went there once. It scared me that it's not showing on their site anymore, but they tell me it's still on its way and they just haven't received it yet. It's been what, 8 days?

Luigiv

Any PAL online stores selling this that ships world wide? Can't find any.

Seems like all the usual suspect (365 games, Game, Zavvi) are out of stock. Guess it's wait and see if another shipment happens.

Edit: JB HiFi has it and apparently they do ship internationally, though given current exchange rates, 70AUD probably doesn't look all that attractive.

Top Bottom