• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tarantino went downhill since Django Unchained

angrod14

Django and Hateful 8 are a complete borefest. The latter one has no sense of pacing whatsoever and it's gimmicky as hell with the whole "shot in 70mm Panavision and soundtrack by Ennio Moriconne" bs; we get it, but that does not make a movie good.

Then we have Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which is more watchable than the last one, but it's still pretty boring. The movie has no plot whatsoever. He made a whole deal about the Charles Manson cult and whatever, and the guy barely came out in the movie. There isn't a single significant moment in the film with him. The only suspenseful scene in the movie (featuring the ranch) lead to absolutely nothing, no payoff. Just Bruce Dern sleeping in a rotten room. And the ending, while funny and all, is a little bit burned-out (no pun intended) at this point with the theme of rewriting history and avenging the victims QT has been doing for the latter part of his career.

When you bring up these points to fans they always respond things like "yeah, but it's supposed to a love letter to cinema and blah blah blah". Bro, EVERY SINGLE QT movie is a love letter to cinema. The difference is that movies like Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, and IB freaking ROCK, in addition to being love letters to cinema. I wouldn't call Django or OUATIH bad movies per se, but they're just so dissappointing to watch if you know what the guy is capable of.

I think the thing that makes the difference is that in his old movies, Quentin was actually trying. He was actively trying to prove he was one of the greats, shooting action and doing suspense like no one else and showing how it's done. But now that he's a household name he is just doing whatever he wants without any sort of production restraints, and knowing everyone will just jerk him off anyways because he's who he is.

The last nail in the coffin is that his last movie will be about a "movie critic", so expect another pretentious borefest. I will forever treasure Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, and IB. In fact, I've been thinking a lot and can't come up with any other movies that are quite at the same level to me as those, so in that regard he still is my "favorite" director. But the rest of his filmography is pretty forgettable, and it seems he's peaked a long time ago.

Hrk69

I don't agree with you but I feel like the films became more predictable after Django Unchained

My love for Tarantino came after Inglorious Basters, he's pretty much untouchable and I hate the idea that he is leaving cinema forever after Movie Critic

But downhill? Nah, never. This man can't do anything wrong imo

Laieon

I completely disagree, I significantly prefer his output in the 2nd half of his career than I do the first. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is one of his top 2 or 3 imo, I loved just about everything about it.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I haven't seen any of his films since Django - which I did like quite a bit. But I've never been a huge fan, his movies usually feel too self aware and artificial, if that makes any sense.

dem

I was wary of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood... and I waited a bit to watch it.

It might be my favourite Tarantino movie.

I personally found Django Unchained to be one of his more entertaining films. I would watch it any day over Kill Bill: Volume 2, Deathproof, Inglorious Bastards, and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. It was an action packed Western with great performances. If I ever acquired a mansion I would hang this film shot on a wall:

Leonardo-DiCaprio-laughing-meme-template-of-Django-Unchained.jpg

P.S. The problem with OUATIH is that Margot Robbie and daydream sequences act as filler. It needs to be cut down to become an enjoyable movie.

Last edited:
I though hateful eight was the most intense movie ive ever seen. (i strongly dislike his movies outside of jackie brown and his 2009-2015 output)
Hateful Eight had terrible pacing. There was too much basking in the moment and not enough suspense and plot development. Also several very weak performances. Could have been a great mini-series if edited well.

Last edited:

CGNoire

I wish he would stop writing his love letters to the west long enough to make another love letter to the east again.

Last edited:

violence

I should get back to watching once upon a Time in Hollywood again. I turned it off after the 2nd extended foot shot.

Mr Hyde

Once upon a time in Hollywood is probably my favorite Tarantino -flick since Jackie Brown, so I disagree. Wish he'd expanded more on Charles Mansion and his cult though.

DrFigs

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is surely an improvement over Django. I personally think its one of his best.

INC

funny how opinions work. i think both are some of his finest work
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on the other hand bored me to tears

Agreed, hateful 8 is one of my favourites

Django is also brilliant, apart from the last few scene of him dancing on horse, completely ruined it for me, oh and I find jaime for, annoying as fuck I'm general

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I have a valid criticism of QT. His movies look like sh*t.

Compare Once Upon a Time in the West to The Hateful Eight. All his characters look like they still have the tags attached to their clothes. Nothing looks authentic. His movies have a mall production look to them.

Pejo

Are there legitimately any directors that went "uphill" in the past 5-10 years? I genuinely can't think of one.

Flutta

Banned
funny how opinions work. i think both are some of his finest work
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on the other hand bored me to tears
Yup. Loved H8. Once…. Well that shit was so bad i started questioning myself if this was Tarantino movie… i don’t remember much about it either lol.

angrod14

Are there legitimately any directors that went "uphill" in the past 5-10 years? I genuinely can't think of one.
I think Fincher is still going really strong. The Killer was awesome. I think we still haven't seen the best of him, so he's exciting in that regard.

Sonik

Hateful Eight is 3+ fucking hours and you never even bother to check what time it is. Excellent movie with fun af characters. Django is too sadistic for me to even like it and Once upon is weird and disjointed but still pretty fun

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have enjoyed every one of his movies, though I feel he peaked between Pulp Fiction and the first Kill Bill. I mean, seeing Kill Bill opening night in a packed theater as a kid was amazing. When the anime sequence starts I remember people being vocally surprised - no one expected that. And as the movie went on I felt real fear for The Bride at times. I wasn't so sure Tarantino wasn't going to kill her off in her own movie. It felt that unpredictable.

I think he took himself too seriously with The Hateful 8. That was just a goofy, campy take on a western but it felt so serious at times, like he wanted it to be cinema verite but his lead characters were spouting anachronistic terms and phrases while being lazy film stereotypes of one kind or another.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
-Django is the best of his recent set
-Hateful 8 and and once upon a time were aight
-If you take out waltz out of Inglorious u got a bad movie

angrod14

I have enjoyed every one of his movies, though I feel he peaked between Pulp Fiction and the first Kill Bill. I mean, seeing Kill Bill opening night in a packed theater as a kid was amazing. When the anime sequence starts I remember people being vocally surprised - no one expected that. And as the movie went on I felt real fear for The Bride at times. I wasn't so sure Tarantino wasn't going to kill her off in her own movie. It felt that unpredictable.
The ending of Vol. 1 must have the best cliffhanger in the history of the universe. Mind-blown. And that whole movie was such a beautiful ode to Japan in general, Japanese culture, anime. As a kid I was a huge fan of Ruroni Kenshin, and Kill Bill was to me like a live-action version of that. Magical.

Tams

Inglorious Bastards is his best work, hands down.

Django Unchained is very entertaining and classic Tarantino, but it mostly seems to be how many times he could cram 'nigger' into a film (which I have no complaints about).

I do think it's a shame he's done nothing but period pieces since 2007, as a big part of his appeal was his unique take on the modern world.

My theory? he got so sick of all the imitators so he decided period pieces would prevent people from so easily ripping him off.

At least Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is closer to present day.

Last edited:
I been trying to think of one that has a steady upward output but everyone I think of has duds or maybe just a flatline

Eggers (Northman will most likely age well tho) stoked for nosferatu

Ari aster fucked up with beau is afraid

Guillermo del toro got critically acclaimed for shape of water but looking back he’ll boy and pacific rim are getting old.

Jordan peele best film imo is NOPE. I’m in the minority tho. He’s producing too much mid stuff too.

Maybe a good example is Dennis Villanueve. I didn’t love dune as much as arrival or blade runner but he is not missing or even stumbling a little basically his whole career.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
With Tarantino/Nolan movies you have to look at the dialogue delivery, acting, and the quality of writing. You can't switch off your brain and watch it. It's like nosing the whiskey before taking a sip.

Once upon a time in Hollywood was great so was Hateful Eight.

Last edited:

Pejo

Never really liked his movies except Kill Bill. Long overdrawn dialog and camp.
Going in blind to "From Dusk till Dawn" was one of my absolute favorite movie watching experiences, so he gets a huge bonus just for that film. Probably lessens the whole thing if you knew what to expect, though.

Didn't care for Django but I saw it with the person I hate most in this world so maybe I should give it another go. Hateful 8 was fucking awesome, went and saw the "roadshow" version so it's probably even more slow and boring to some people whose intelligence I would never dare insult.

And I loved Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as well.

Pulp Fiction... now that shit's overrated as hell. But I didn't see it for a few years and I had heard so much about how it's so brilliant and confusing because it's "non-linear" so I went into it with my expectations too high. Had a couple of fun scenes I guess, and can't go wrong with the meme
Animated GIF

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I don't agree with you but I feel like the films became more predictable after Django Unchained

My love for Tarantino came after Inglorious Basters, he's pretty much untouchable and I hate the idea that he is leaving cinema forever after Movie Critic

But downhill? Nah, never. This man can't do anything wrong imo
Death proof was shit compared to planet terror. It was just a foot fetish film

bitbydeath

Reservoir Dogs will always be my favorite of his followed by Pulp Fiction then the Kill Bill saga.

Hateful 8 I enjoyed but something felt missing compared to the films I like more.
Agree with this, but i’d put From Dusk til Dawn in between Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I have a valid criticism of QT. His movies look like sh*t.

Compare Once Upon a Time in the West to The Hateful Eight. All his characters look like they still have the tags attached to their clothes. Nothing looks authentic. His movies have a mall production look to them.
Hateful 8 Certainly did. I think I was expecting a full on Django style movie but we got an almost stage play. So I let myself down. But to be honest it’s a good movie. The only one of his I don’t really like is death proof. But otherwise he has remains consistent lot great in his films. Where I feel Robert Rodriguez has gone downhill since his heyday. Tarantino has been making solid watchable films.

He is that good that even a mediocre film of his is still head and shoulders above a lot of other films.

While he isn’t in my top directors list. He is inching closer as he has maintained a solid set of works.

I think if he stops after 10 films why not.

Martin Scorsese shit the bed with killers of the flower moon (sorry that’s my opinion)
I think Tarantino wants to stop while he still has it. Which will make his films all that more valid and keep them stronger in people’s minds.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Agree with this, but i’d put From Dusk til Dawn in between Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.
I feel that’s more Robert Rodriguez’s film. As it’s definitely in his desperado el mariachi style of directing.

Quentin helped write it with him.

But to me at least I just always think or it as More of Robert Rodriguez’s Cheech Marin, Danny Trejo the pans and quick action, camera angles, framing. etc. But all the jokes etc are Quentin’s (all the really cool lines) the OTT action parts I believe are Robert’s

but either way it’s a fucking great film. With two directors teaming up.

It’s a classic and no irony etc. It’s a great great film.

But Quentin definitely learned from it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom