• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teacher Defiantly Displays LGBTQ Pride In Photo with Trump

Saya

Amazing photo.

His FB post about it.

18157570_10104677546226803_5345698199299116402_n.jpg

Erevador

Worth noting that Trump for all his enormous (and fatal) flaws is the most pro-gay Republican president in modern history. He said on 60 Minutes he's fine with gay marriage and declared it "settled law." Could you imagine a Republican saying that 8 years ago?

Gay marriage is the law of the land. It's never being rolled back. The fact that Trump (and, by association, his heartland VP with a history of extreme anti-gay positions) hasn't opposed it is setting the precedent that the conversation is settled.

I'm not suggesting that Trump deserves particular credit for any of this, but it's worth noting that lasting progress appears to have been made. It wasn't long ago that both Obama and Hillary weren't prepared to be in favor of gay marriage publicly. Now the Republicans seem to have quietly recognized the reality of things and dropped the issue. Peter Thiel getting major applause at the convention for announcing he was a gay Republican was a turning point as well.

I don't believe that Trump, from what I know of his background, would be bothered by this man's mild fabulousness. He'd be annoyed that the guy is against him (since he's more thin-skinned in the face of criticism than anyone I have ever heard of), but he's not weirded out by the presence of gay people. The people suggesting Trump is "leaning away" in the photo are seeing what they want to see, he's just leaning more on one arm than the other because that's more comfortable. His body language is similar in all his posed photos.

FROM NPR: What was President Trump's reaction to the fan? Did he say anything?

Oh, he loved it! I popped it open when I walked into the office because I'm a very sassy person. And [President] Trump complimented it right away. He said, "I love the fan!" And he told me I had great style. Then, when I was ushered in for my private photo with the president and Melania [Trump] I was told I should put it away. So I just folded it up and held it at my side. But when it came time for the photo, I just asked the president, "Do you mind if I use the fan for the photo?" He said, "Absolutely go for it." So I popped my fan and did my pose.

We're in uncharted political waters here and everything is turning in bizarre ways, but one strange and positive side-effect is that the actively anti-gay right is more or less dead on the national level.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Gotta admit, the guy is so sharply dressed that he pulls off the folding fan look nicely 🙂

Top Bottom