• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falch

Well done, Quellex.

Can't wait to play it. AFTER NINE YEARS.

I'm an ex-TFC player, btw. Although I haven't played it for several years now.

dfyb

Banned
so i just noticed that it's impossible for one team to have all the classes playing at the same time on consoles :lol

ggnoobIGN

Banned
dfyb said:
so i just noticed that it's impossible for one team to have all the classes playing at the same time on consoles :lol
Man, I just noticed the're taking the limit down by 8 on PC. That's stupid, IMO. Maps like Dustbowl are best played with 14-15 players on each team.

EDIT: I'm playing in TF1 TNG 24/7 Dustbowl server if anyone wants to play right now.

jvalioli

pn18 said:
count me in.
when does is start in GMT+1?
If you're talking about the GAF game, just log on to steam community and check the GAF events. It should pop in your time zone, I think.

dfyb said:
Consoles have a max player count of 16 don't they?
I dunno why they couldn't make it 2 more and go for 18.... even if it was just on PS3 as that usually has dedicated servers. Will the 360 version be doing this or be struggling to use a players box to host? i can't imagine it would cope with even 16 players though?

ggnoobIGN said:
Man, I just noticed the're taking the limit down by 8 on PC. That's stupid, IMO. Maps like Dustbowl are best played with 14-15 players on each team.

EDIT: I'm playing in TF1 TNG 24/7 Dustbowl server if anyone wants to play right now.
I am not sure about the limit for PC. They said 24 but why don't they just leave a cap off so people can have 32 or 40 player servers like in CS? I am sure it will be modified to allow that at some point.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Is pre-loading taken freaken' forever for anyone else? Mine shot up to 30% right away and basically hasn't moved since.

PeteJ

ggnoobIGN said:
Is pre-loading taken freaken' forever for anyone else? Mine shot up to 30% right away and basically hasn't moved since.
Yeah been stuck at 28% for ages. It starts in the 20s if you have HL2 installed.

Preload took forever for me too. Looking at the downloaded files, TF2 is over 2 Gigs, which is crazy for 6 maps, and the fact the CS:S and HL2 combined is smaller. Maybe it has some really high resolution textures, or tons of animations.

I plan on getting to work early so I can leave eariler and spend all evening playing. Haven't been so pumped for a game in a long while.

ezekial45 said:
Well done Quellex. I'm currently holding out for the Black Box edition of the game, so i won't be in the beta unfortunately.
I thought they got rid of the Black Box. You can buy them separately though, but EP2 and TF2 are like $30 each and $20 for portal so it isn't worth it.

I've been staring at my pre-load for days, even right clicking on it to see if Valve made a mistake and released the game early just for me. This wait is horrible and Fortress Forever doesn't make up for it.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Black Box will still be available through Steam, just not retail.

Anyway, what do you guys main for Team Fortress? since I'm pretty much strictly a Dustbowl player, I'm usually demo or defensive spy.

And does anyone know what maps are in the beta? I assume Dustbowl and 2Fort. Anything else?

epmode

If they put up a Steam-only Black Box after the beta launches, I'm going to be very pissed off. Even more pissed off than had they outright cancelled the stupid collection.

The whole Black Box situation is uncharacteristically slimy for Valve and I hope it's the last time we see something like this.

Armitage

My defense is impregnable, mah offense is impeccable, ah will eat yo children!

I'm going to be a little late in the beta. Do you have to already have preordered to get in, or can I buy Orange Box in a few days?

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I've preloaded at home and at work. Unless it unlocks during my commute (either there or back), I'll be playing as soon as its up! WOO!!

RandomXTX

I will also be there, awesome thread. This game is gonna rock.
I was a huge Quake TF guy back in the day...

It will be hard to put Crysis down and easy to put WAR down but it must be done for TF2.

ng_52.jpg

Good times.

CoLaN

I was reading the requirements and it says shader 3.0 :(

I have an ATI x850xt and HL2 runs pretty smooth....i guess ill not be able to run tf2 on dx 9? or...Please someone enlight me :D

The only Fortress mod I have experience with is a Quake 3 spin-off called 'Quake 3 Fortress'. It never really took off, and had a small community.

What about this Fortress Forever mod? Are people playing that thing? I started it up the other day, but only had a brief look at it.

No_Style

CoLaN said:

I have an ATI x850xt and HL2 runs pretty smooth....i guess ill not be able to run tf2 on dx 9? or...Please someone enlight me :D

Where does it say that? Source Engine games never required SM 3.0. It is pretty damn scalable.

saelz8

CoLaN said:

You'll be fine.

No_Style

CoLaN said:

It's a mistake. The only reason why Shader Model 3 would be required is if you want to turn on HDR. For an MP game, if there was an option to turn off HDR, I would regardless of hardware. :D

BTW, am I the only one who is excited for this game and has never played Team Fortress
for more than 5 minutes
?

Thyrus

Just a few more hours to go til i get to rew up my minigun again. The years of waiting is almost over, yay!

"Preload took forever for me too. Looking at the downloaded files, TF2 is over 2 Gigs, which is crazy for 6 maps, and the fact the CS:S and HL2 combined is smaller. Maybe it has some really high resolution textures, or tons of animations."

TF2 has a *lot* of audio. Developer Commentary and just the voice work seems to take up 400mb alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom