• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn that sucks its going to be "late day". Which translates into early ass morning for myself. Not too big of a deal, as long as its before tomorrows TF2 game(s) i shouldn't be too pissed off. And i have HL2 to keep me company as i continue to play it for the first time.

Just pre-ordered and it's pre-loading now. I can't believe that tomorrow I will actually get to play TF2 after all these years and years and years of waiting.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
CastleBravo said:
Just pre-ordered and it's pre-loading now. I can't believe that tomorrow I will actually get to play TF2 after all these years and years and years of waiting.
iknowiknowiknowiknow!!!!!

9 years man, 9 years! I play tf1 every day but I think it's time to move on.

(Now only if this fricken thing would pre-load. I'm on 38% after 8 hours :\)

"Well it is midnight here EST and no unlock. I'm hitting the hay, hopefully it will be activated by the time I get home."

We've already gone over the fact that it'll be a mid-day unlock.

never played the original since i had a shitty computer at the time, this game looks incredibly awesome on so many levels, but my backlog and incoming is so huge. i have no plans to get the orange box till next year probably.

Teknopathetic said:
We've already gone over the fact that it'll be a mid-day unlock.
I know, I was hoping something magical would happen when the clock striked midnight.

Actually one of the moderators on Steam forums said it would be late in the day, not mid-day:

The beta will be released late in the evening on Sept. 17th, Valve time.

There is no specific release time at this moment.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6706481&postcount=11

This does not bode well for us EST people.

Akia

UncleGuito said:
The lack of hype for this game on NeoGAF is sickening.

Well it's GAF and PC games, what did you expect. I think the general rule for the forum is: If it ain't Blizzard don't bother.

Davidion

UncleGuito said:
The lack of hype for this game on NeoGAF is sickening.

So is this this twitch that has me impulsively trying to fix my appliances by beating them with my monkey wrench. I'm not sure what to do. :(

Useff

I just read a transcript of a bunch of the commentary for this game and it's terrific. I don't know if me posting a link to it is legit, though.

"I just read a transcript of a bunch of the commentary for this game and it's terrific. I don't know if me posting a link to it is legit, though."

My personal opinion is that anyone with the game preloaded can take GCFScape and listen to it themselves. AND it's just developer commentary. I don't particularly mind it.

Jirotrom

what if I just want to preorder TF2, I'm getting all of Orange box for the 360 and I only want TF2 for pc. Will I still be able to be in the BETA?

Mindlog

Preordered and preloading

I fear I may end up buying this through Steam and still end up buying it for 360 as well :[]

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Oh man I can't wait to play this, all preloaded and ready to go. TFC killed my college days, we'll see how it goes 9 years later.

perryfarrell said:
What about this Fortress Forever mod? Are people playing that thing? I started it up the other day, but only had a brief look at it.

It's pretty much TFC again but with a lot of tweaks and improvements.

Nades are still there, all the classes still have all their old weapons along with a few tweaks here and there.

Snipers now have "radio tag" which means if he hits an enemy other people will be able to see him through walls etc. (great for spy checks) It also allows him to get a quick shot off and finish the enemy further down the line.

Pyros get a DoT system which means that they'll do more damage over time if they can get more than one source of fire (Flamethrower, incendiary cannon and napalm-grenade) on the enemy. And their rockets are now lobbed.

Engineers can charge their pistol for a bouncing explosive shot.

Heavies can now overheat if they don't control their spray.

Spies now have cloak along with the old disguise, he can choose whether to cloak silently (for improved invisibility) or do a feign death which means he'll drop a ragdoll and go into cloak. And he can sabotage turrets (turning them on their old masters!) and dispensers.

Little things like that.

It's still missing a few bug-fixes and most importantly, 2fort, but in time all will be well.

There's so much stuff I love about FF that I'm sure I'll miss in TF2, where it mostly seems like they're stripping it down... I haven't played it yet though so we'll se about that.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Damn that sucks thats its going to be mid-day so I guess it will be night time release for us on the other side of the world :D. (But that does not stop me from checking if its out every few minutes :lol)

Will there ever be any GMT Steam Community events btw, because 2am is quite late ;)

saelz8

4qf88r4.jpg

6ftli77.jpg

New preview up on CVG (I didn't copy it all, so check out the site)

CVG: The Pyro - easily the most useless of TFC's line-up, has gone from a minor annoyance, spurting 2D flames that'll only get him rocketed in the face, to one of the most important members of the team. Flames now deal serious damage (and look fantastic to boot) - two full burns will finish almost anyone off.

Because of this they've become a great class for running into a giant ruck and causing pandemonium for the opposing team (friendly fire is totally non-existent in TF2). Sticking close to the walls and jumping around corners seems to be the best strategy, and half the time we were racking up more kills than the Heavys on our team (not pansy Heavys either; rock hard Valve tester Heavys). The Pyro is well and truly back in the game.

Besides the Pyro, the Medic has seen the best changes from TFC's template. Replacing the primitive, incessantly beeping medpack is a Ghostbusters-style heal gun, which locks onto a target teammate with a stream of healing plus signs. As long as you're in range and holding the fire button, the healing stream will stay locked-on to your target, leaving you to hide around corners or behind cover.

Simply put, the Medic is now a massive part of the team. A common strategy in our games was to pair a Medic up with a Heavy, allowing the big guy to take on the frontline while the Medic healed from behind. Of course this makes the doc a massive target for spies who'll stream in from the rear with their new cloaking toy, knife drawn. This makes for a frantic see-saw act as the medic keeps the heavy topped up, while he scrambles to spot any imposters coming for his wingman.

Taking one for the team
The biggest twist in the Team Fortress formula, shaking the foundations of every strategy and tactic you've relied on in the past, you probably won't notice on your fast few goes.

Realising that really, there's no point in being a Medic or Pyro if you're not going to get any kills, support points have been brought to the forefront of TF2's makeup. Pay attention; This is the bit that warrants the '2' on the end.

Before, if you shot the cack out of an enemy team member only to have a snipers blast him in the head, you'd get bugger all points despite the fact you dealt the most damage. In TF2, anyone who gets a shot on target gets a point. So if a Scout gets a few shots off, a Pyro brings on the flame and then a Heavy finishes the target off, all three players get a frag.

For even the most rabid TFC players then, TF2 is looking like its going to live up to those nigh-on seven-year-old expectations. But of course you don't have to take our word for it; it's on Steam today for you lucky pre-purchasers. We heart Team Fortress.

Label said:
Damn that sucks thats its going to be mid-day so I guess it will be night time release for us on the other side of the world :D. (But that does not stop me from checking if its out every few minutes :lol)

Will there ever be any GMT Steam Community events btw, because 2am is quite late ;)

I've organised some events with OcUK Community so if you wanna add me to your friends list and just hop in if i am playing. I am not sure what the turnout will be like, but we always get 20-25 for the CS:S games so we should have 5-10.
Unless GAF does indeed sort out a GMT event :)

The screenshots look so so so good.
As someone said earlier, it is the best art direction i have seen, ever. No i don't play many games that aren't FPSs but i have seen a LOT and this still tops them all.
The through that has gone in to even the silhouettes of the characters is amazing!

I hope the Pyro isn't overpowered now, at least the game can get updates to alter the balance some what if the BETA proves it to be true. I can't imagine it is not already pretty spot on but still.... will be interesting to see.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
BTW guys, how does this work; do you get a code or something? I'm running a Steam Press Account and the game's just been sitting there for a few days - not sure If I'm gonna get in or not.

Aegus

McBacon said:
BTW guys, how does this work; do you get a code or something? I'm running a Steam Press Account and the game's just been sitting there for a few days - not sure If I'm gonna get in or not.

If it's in your Steam folder just right click it then select Preload.

mandiller

Quellex said:
http://i5.tinypic.com/4qf88r4.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.tinypic.com/6ftli77.jpg[IMG]

[/QUOTE]

Oh my.

I'm going to cry when it looks like crap on my computer though. Not too long to go now. Start the TF2 hype, Chu! Chu!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Looking at those pics ... Looking at my pc ... crying.

I really hope i can still run the game. I believe i am stuck with min detail :lol , but that should be good enough as long as the frame rate is decent enough.

Quellex said:
Flames now deal serious damage (and look fantastic to boot) - two full burns will finish almost anyone off.

have they talk about show much it takes for a player to go down? i hope with all the pros/cons per character, i hope their all balanced.

"have they talk about show much it takes for a player to go down? i hope with all the pros/cons per character, i hope their all balanced."

I've heard 5 seconds to take down a heavy.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
pn18 said:
@label: wednesday, 10pm-?? ?

Sounds good to me! We should really get it posted on the community event page though.

As Aegus said we should really get a GMT admin to post some events for euro people ;)

Kamakazie! said:
I've organised some events with OcUK Community so if you wanna add me to your friends list and just hop in if i am playing. I am not sure what the turnout will be like, but we always get 20-25 for the CS:S games so we should have 5-10.
Unless GAF does indeed sort out a GMT event :)

Sounds cool, your Steam ID the same as your username here or..? ;)

Sorry for starting to go off topic btw I shall take this to the steam thread.

The screens look fantastic! I cant wait to sink my teeth into this :D only a few more hours!

lexi

Banned
Wow, those screens are amazing. I hope my 7900GT can deliver this beauty at 72fps+.

'Pre-load complete; unreleased' is burned into my retinas, work tomorrow will be an agonizing wait.

Yagharek

Any idea on what the PS3 version is going to be like as far as dedicated servers go for TF2? I'm tossing up whether to get the 360 orPS3 version and the fact that the 360 version will be competing against Halo makes me worry about getting a game on it with low numbers/split userbase.

Obviously the PC version will be safest bet in this regard, but it's not an option for me on this box.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Prime crotch said:
True. I say we decide it at The Thunderdome!

I think if we make a big enough fuss here! we can make it happen :D. I would really love some GAF events would be quite fun ;D

As for ports I assume it would be the same as CS:S, HL2: DM, DoD:S etc, as all the steam/source games tend to use the same ports.

TCP Ports: 27020-27039
UDP Ports: 1200,27000-27015

CoolS

I want to play it, I read the system requirements, but I think my chea-ass graphics card ist just crap. Can you tell me if I'll be able to play it?

Athlon XP 3000+
1,5 GB ram
Radeon 7000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom