• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defcon

Banned
I have the day off tomorrow, so it's gonna be TF2 pretty much all night. Got a case of beer ready to go. Too bad I have a cold and feel like absolute shit.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
pxleyes said:
who and where?

I think he is referring to this post made by tonjohn, Volunteer mod over at the Steam forums

tonjohn said:
The beta will be released late in the evening on Sept. 17th, Valve time.

There is no specific release time at this moment.

You can see the thread here The Steam forums are going awfully slow right now though.

Slacker

WhatRuOn said:
Monday night Football, or TF2....MNF or TF2...ahhhhh
Are you serious? You're being torn away from a game between the Foreskins and the Iggles? That promises to be the Suckbowl™ of the week. Not to mention it's on ESPN. Are you afraid you'll miss a 10 minute interview with Jim Belushi about his new show on ABC? :D

A new Team Fortress only comes along once every nine years! Hit it like you mean it!

pn18

Banned
Defcon said:
I have the day off tomorrow, so it's gonna be TF2 pretty much all night. Got a case of beer ready to go. Too bad I have a cold and feel like absolute shit.
hopefully cold beer.

Cheeto

Slacker said:
Are you serious? You're being torn away from a game between the Foreskins and the Iggles? That promises to be the Suckbowl™ of the week. Not to mention it's on ESPN. Are you afraid you'll miss a 10 minute interview with Jim Belushi about his new show on ABC? :D

A new Team Fortress only comes along once every nine years! Hit it like you mean it!
While ESPN coverage is bottom of the barrel right next to CBS, and the Reskins have all the rights to be called foreskins...your disrespect for the Eagles is now noted. We are enemies.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
wha?

I preloaded TF2 at work last week when the announcement was made, open up Steam this morning and its re-preloading it? At least its going somewhat fast, ~1.5MB/sec

AWESOME THREAD!! Man, the NeoGaf threads have really stepped their game up these days. Good stuff to be found here, and thank you Quellex for creating this awesome thread.

PatzCU

Ya I think I'm going to be going Scout/Engineer as my two main classes..

Though when you think about it, can you imagine the % of spies that will be playing in the 360 version? :lol

Ironballs

Slacker said:

Hey, the new MNF broadcast team isn't bad at all. In fact, I'd say its the best in years.

I'll probably have the game on, but if its boring then TF2 it is.

I hope it releases in time for me to get a couple of matches in before I go to work tonight (5 PST).

In any case, unless there is celebratory drinking going on after work tonight, I'll see whoever I see at about 10 PST :)

pxleyes

Banned
Does no one bother reading?

pn18

Banned
gaben.jpg

grrr what bullshit. thats not monday for most of the world damn it!
oh well, do i stay up late and play or get up early and do the stuff that needs doing then play.... hmmm. tough one.

pxleyes

Banned
Kamakazie! said:
grrr what bullshit. thats not monday for most of the world damn it!
oh well, do i stay up late and play or get up early and do the stuff that needs doing then play.... hmmm. tough one.
these kinds of statements piss me off. Valve doesn't care about "most of the world." They live in one locale, the pacific coast of America. They are going to release it at a time that is convenient for them. Period.

Defcon

Banned
pxleyes said:
these kinds of statements piss me off. Valve doesn't care about "most of the world." They live in one locale, the pacific coast of America. They are going to release it at a time that is convenient for them. Period.

They need to start caring about "most of the world." It's "most of the world" that assures they still have a job by buying their shit.

Just been listening to some of the sound files. The demomans scottish accent is terrible, the spys French accent is nearly as bad. And the pyro is hilarious, he's TF2 version of kenny :lol The sniper is an aussie but he sometimes wonders into stereotypical British WW2 accent from time to time.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
CastleBravo said:
My steam ID. Add me, bitches. Let's get some TF2 on later.

edit: Found the GAF group. Add me to your friends list peeps!

Done!
I'll be looking forward to playing some TF2 with the rest of gaf :)

Prepare to be 0wned! lol

Nykad

ARRRRGGGHHH!!! When are they going to release this thing! I'm going to go nuts!!! :lol

I feel like I'm 10 years old on Christmas day all over again. :lol

pxleyes said:

Erm it is not the fact that they are releasing it at a convenient time for them... since 6pm is after normal office hours and therefore less convenient than say 2-4pm. It is the fact that they said that the Beta would be released on Monday. They said this in a Valve news update that was sent across the world. The statement should have read as a Monday release for the US. That is what annoys me. They can release it when they like, but they shouldn't say one thing and do another. Factually correct news releases should be a certainty, not a luxury. Especially if Valve want to grow their userbase and not shrink it. The whole debacle about the Black Box has not helped matters either. I love Steam and i love HL1 & 2 (my favourite games). I do not however, like false statements being made, be it from EA, Ubisoft, Valve or anyone else. If they never had any intention of making this available on Sept 17th for MOST people then they shouldn't have said as much. Period.

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=news&id=1186&cc=GB said:
Pre-purchase The Orange Box before the October 10 release to save 10% off the regular price and get exclusive access to the Team Fortress 2 beta on September 17.

Defcon said:
They need to start caring about "most of the world." It's "most of the world" that assures they still have a job by buying their shit.

fuck that, us west coasters get shitted all the time by the eastern time difference. it's about time some place out on this side started doing things by our time.

Sorry, didn't calculate correctly. From what they say, Sept 17, then then it would be Wednesday for some.

Doesn't matter, I have other work to do anyway.

pxleyes

Banned
You people need to get a grip. It isn't the release of the game. It is the beta. If you don't like the release time for it, you can go shove it. Valve doesn't even owe you a beta, feel lucky you are getting one.

Second, the main game, like the rest of the HL2 releases, will probably get a simultaneous world release so don't get your panties in a bunch.

Third, are you seriously doing to start nit-picking when "normal office hours" are? Do you have a clue when they work? Do you know how the industry works? 9AM-6PM would be a SHORT day for most developers this close to the release of a game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
pxleyes said:
You people need to get a grip. It isn't the release of the game. It is the beta. If you don't like the release time for it, you can go shove it. Valve doesn't even owe you a beta, feel lucky you are getting one.

Well, to be fair a lot of people pre-ordered the Steam deal for the chance to be in the beta. A beta may not be a full game, but if you're advertising it as a perk of pre-ordering it's certainly a benefit of the bargain. Agree with you that this doesn't necessarily entail that the game will be available at midnight PDT though.

Rlan

Incidentily, in Steam Groups can you filter people by the country they're in? I'd like to just look at the Aussies in the group.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
pxleyes said:

Excuse us for being excited for a game 9 years in the making.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
pxleyes said:
logic is still something you are coming to grips with isn't it?

You've got it. As for Valve, last time I was there, they were still very busy at 6 PM, and that was pre-crunch.

pxleyes said:

Second, the main game, like the rest of the HL2 releases, will probably get a simultaneous world release so don't get your panties in a bunch.

Third, are you seriously doing to start nit-picking when "normal office hours" are? Do you have a clue when they work? Do you know how the industry works? 9AM-6PM would be a SHORT day for most developers this close to the release of a game.

I think you need to grasp a few concepts before entering this discussion:
Valve do owe me a BETA because i pre-ordered The Orange Box. Part of the purchase includes the beta of TF2. They entered into an agreement with me when i made the purchase and are thus bound to provide it or offer a refund.

Second, what does the release of the main game have to do with anything? We are talking about TF2 beta, not the normal release on the 10th/12th. I am fully aware of how previous game releases have worked.

Thirdly, i wasn't "nit picking" i was merely stating that 2-4pm is as convenient as any other time. You were the one that bought up the time of release as being when convenient to them. I am also fully aware of the 18+ hour days that some devs work, especially when nearing a release. This has NOTHING to do with the discussion. If they can release it at 6pm then they can release it at 2pm.

You seem to have totally missed the point and just made meaningless points to justify the fact that they are not releasing it when they said they would (if indeed it comes out at 6pm PST).
Like i said before (and seemingly have to say again for the benefit of those that can't comprehend/read), i have no problems with them releasing it at 6pm PST so long as they don;t claim availability to everyone on the 17th. 6pm PST is after midnight here and so it is on the 18th. Steam is fully able to enable games at different days (as with Bioshock) so it is certainly able to release different news items to different regions. This should be used for the sake of accuracy if not anything else.
What next, when there are colonies on other planets, products can be given year licenses that last for 30 days here because "its a year in their locale"? An extreme and slightly stupid example, but a valid one none the less.

There is simply no justification for false information. End of the story. Get over yourself and you utter disregard for anyone that doesn't live in America.

Sorry to keep this off topic. Just feel someone needs to explain why some people (myself mainly in this thread) are annoyed as pxleyes seems unable to understand.

pxleyes

Banned
I fully understand, but you have no "rights" in this issue.

There is no false information. It is out on the 17th. No specification is simply your fault for assuming something you shouldn't.

Valve does everything Steam-wise by Pacific time. They always have and likely always will. If for some reason you thought they would stop for a split second you're out of your gourd.

Joe Molotov

pxleyes said:

logic is still something you are coming to grips with isn't it?

You're an angry young man, aren't you? :lol

Most people only preordered the game (and had to pay the entire $45 up front) this early so they could get the TF2 Beta. If Valve didn't want people getting antsy, then they should have just said the TF2 Beta was releasing at 6pm PST or whenever. There's no reason they should keep the time a secret.

saelz8

53tt7xk.jpg

Digging the new system the game uses. Not new per say, as RO and BF2 use a similar system, but new in TF. You can see your kill and death count among other things, but unlike CS and DOD, it looks like those particular details are private. I think those details are what we'll see statistics for on our Steam profiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom