• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

dhonk

Popping in to say hey, my community project Frontline is out there now. http://frontline.tf <-

What do ya think? We are gonna be making a bunch more stuff for mappers to use as we go here. If enough people dig it and make stuff, Valve pls add.

voodooray

Popping in to say hey, my community project Frontline is out there now. http://frontline.tf <-

What do ya think? We are gonna be making a bunch more stuff for mappers to use as we go here. If enough people dig it and make stuff, Valve pls add.

You must be happy with that Reddit poll that happened earlier this week about which community update folks wanted to see next =)

It looks fantastic, great work! What is the process for Valve to consider using it as an update now?

If you have a good Scout on your team though they can kill a marked-for-death Heavy in only a few shoots.

Assuming the Heavy doesn't have a team and hasn't switched weapons by the time he shows up to battle.

There's reason actual competitive leagues ban the GRU, and it's because Heavy is hilariously OP with the speed buff.

Bluth54

You must be happy with that Reddit poll that happened earlier this week about which community update folks wanted to see next =)

It looks fantastic, great work! What is the process for Valve to consider using it as an update now?

Valve told the Mayann team that any community update will now be announced ahead of time on the blog with an end date for content submission announced, so the community will know in advanced if an update is going to be added.

Honestly of the 4 community updates currently announced the only one I'm not really feeling is the medieval update. Frontline and Mayann both look like they have the potential to be great and while I'm not a big MVM fan I do acknowledge that MVM fans badly need a new update like Iron Gauntlet.

dhonk

Haha very happy with response.

Also, honestly there was that email mentioned above but Valve changes on a dime. They could honestly pull anything at any time. Basically? Its a big ol mystery.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What the fuck have they done to the game? Lose a game, 99.9% of your team leaves, you have to disconnect and search for another server. Every god damn time. And getting grouped with scrubs is fun.

I have an issue with my hud. I'm using just the default hud, but the right side is missing where it shows the weapons when you switch between them. I just installed the game on a new PC so idk where the issue is. Files are verified, i do the hud_reloadscheme thing and it's not showing up. Am I looking over something?

I mean the part where it shows the sandvich and other weapons on the right, all the other parts of the hud are present.

maxresdefault.jpg

I have an issue with my hud. I'm using just the default hud, but the right side is missing where it shows the weapons when you switch between them. I just installed the game on a new PC so idk where the issue is. Files are verified, i do the hud_reloadscheme thing and it's not showing up. Am I looking over something?

I mean the part where it shows the sandvich and other weapons on the right, all the other parts of the hud are present.

You have quick switch enabled. Settings -> Options -> keyboard ->advanced -> uncheck it

I don't see any mention of it here, but there was an update on the blog last week.

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=23062

Thanks for all of your feedback over the last couple weeks. In our previous post, we talked about a number of issues with the Meet Your Match update and what we were doing to address them. Here's a quick recap on what has happened since then:

Matchmaking:

We have been working hard to improve the matchmaking system, greatly reducing queue times and eliminating most causes of errors when attempting to play. On average, queue times are now below ninety seconds for most players. There are still some issues with lower population regions and game modes that we are looking into.
We have identified and corrected several issues where players weren't being sent to fill empty slots for in-progress matches. There should be far fewer matches where this happens, and we will continue making improvements here.

Casual Mode:

Players are now able to specify the maps they would like play on when using matchmaking. However, it is sometimes the case that players joining in-progress matches (aka "late join") end up on maps they did not select. This will be fixed in an upcoming update.
Abandon penalties have been removed, which means players can come and go as they please.
Vote-kicking has been added. Players that are kicked retain the experience they've earned to that point, in order to reduce the likelihood of players using the system to grief others.

Next, we would like to give you a quick overview of the things we are working on, and go over some of the issues you raise as needing more attention and work.

Abandons in Competitive Mode:

We are going to make abandoning penalties much harsher. The current system increases matchmaking ban times based on the number of abandons over a period of time. We are making a change to more quickly move serial abandoners into really long ban times. We will also subtract the maximum number of rank points possible, per abandon. The amount lost will be far higher than what could normally be lost in a completed match.
In addition, we are investigating several options to offset the impact abandoners have on games that are in-progress. More on that when we have details to share.

Griefing in matchmaking:

We are working on systems that will give players with high numbers of in-game reports automated cooldowns from matchmaking, to discourage disruptive behavior.
As a side note, you can report players while in-game by clicking the "Report Player" button - located in the "Play" section on the main menu.

High ping and queue times:

There are still cases where players can wait longer than we'd like. This is more common in lower population regions and game modes in Casual Mode matchmaking, and the result is that players sometimes end up on a server where their ping is higher than normal.
One solution we are investigating is allowing matches to start with fewer than 24 players -- in cases where there are not enough available players to form a complete match, or when the players being considered are too far away. The system will instead prefer to start a smaller match more quickly, with a more appropriate ping, filling the remaining slots as more players become available.

Experience and incomplete matches in casual:

Right now, leaving a casual match results in no experience being earned. We are looking at changing this to avoid penalizing players for having to leave after investing significant amounts of time into a match, while still providing rewards for playing matches to completion.

We are monitoring the game around the clock, and we continue to read all your feedback and suggestions. Thanks again for taking the time to help improve TF.

Bluth54

In today's patch they added a news item announcing that Pyro vs Heavy will end on August 14th. It will be interesting to see how slowly we'll get the first class update after that.

Also in today's patch Valve finally fixed a bunch of weapon view models so they don't look broken when they're set to 70. It's been 9 years but they've finally done it!

Also they fixed teleporters destroying themselves when used while they were conflicting with invisible map geometry. I never though I would see the day.

Full patch notes.

commissar

Huh they apparently fixed the rejoin to dodge a kick vote thing.

That's basically the single best thing Valve has done to combat cheaters :0

Bluth54

Huh they apparently fixed the rejoin to dodge a kick vote thing.

That's basically the single best thing Valve has done to combat cheaters :0

Well they also need to make it so either the server only shows the name that you had when you joined the server or the vote kick menu shows some sort of notification to show if someone recently changed their name so you know who the hacker is if they keep changing their name, but yeah they are making some very positive steps.

Had some matches after the new big update and matchmaking as well as balancing is quite bad. Uninstalling it now. Not worth the time to be angry about broken gameplay elements.

Bluth54

I wish casual matchmaking had random crits and random spread disabled. It would be so much more enjoyable.

Yeah I have no idea why Valve still has bullet spread on casual matchmaking especially since they got rid of damage spread like a year ago.

I was also kinda expecting them to remove random crits by default in Meet Your Match. I'm not sure how Valve is going to properly balance all the weapons when casual has random crits and comp doesn't, I really do think it's time for them to go.

New blog post:

Just a quick update while we keep working on the Meet Your Match fixes we posted a few weeks ago. We wanted to call out a few noteworthy things shipping with today's update, as well as keep you up to date on some more substantial fixes that are on the way.

We're currently working on a more comprehensive Elo rating system to improve how Competitive Mode ranks are determined that we'll be shipping in the near future. This update will make the rank system more self-correcting and better distribute players based on performance.

In the meantime, though, we've shipped some rank balancing improvements in today's update that will help distribute ranks more evenly in the short-term. Players with high win-loss ratios will now be "fast-tracked" to higher ranks that better reflect performance (without having to grind through unchallenging matches). Additionally, players in the first tier of ranks (1-6) will now be penalized less for match losses, making it easier to gain low ranks at the outset without getting stuck.

Additionally, with today's update, we are rolling out our first matchmaking bans on problem players you've reported. Problem players will receive a six-month ban from Casual and Competitive matchmaking. We've also made it easier for you to report problem players by adding a new feature that lets you report directly from the scoreboard. (See today's update notes for more information.)

We also wanted to touch on upcoming improvements to the Casual Mode experience. A high priority is providing better flow for continuing play at the end of a match. To that end, we're currently putting the finishing touches on two features that many of you have requested: The option to rematch with the same players on the same map at the end of a match, and the ability to re-queue into a new match from the win screens for both Casual Mode and Competitive Mode.

Finally, we are working on issues with the region system that have been causing poor connections for players in certain areas. The next few updates will be integrating TF more tightly with the global server network already used by games like CS:GO and Dota 2 to provide much more reliable connections and the best-possible latency.

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

*Competitive Mode
- Players in the first tier of ranks (1-6) now lose substantially fewer rank points on match loss
- Players with high win/loss ratios in recent matches now earn bonus rank points in order to accelerate their progress toward a more appropriate rank
* Added report player context menu on scoreboard
-- Requires mouse input mode on the scoreboard (see Adv. Options)
* Fixed a potential security issue (thanks to Justin G., aka sigsegv, and Linus S., aka PistonMiner, for this report)
* Fixed an issue with The Righteous Bison and Pomson 5000 hit detection where projectiles were being removed when colliding with invisible entities
* Fixed a display issue with combat text damage numbers against Engineer buildings sometimes being incorrect (such as with weapons that do reduced damage against buildings)
* Removed the damage effects and pain sounds when using the Rocket Jumper and Sticky Jumper
* Updated PASS Time view model positions to support using FOV 70
* Updated the animations for the Sharp Dresser to fix a clipping problem
* Updated the localization files
* Updated cp_sunshine to fix some clipping issues
* Updated cp_metalworks
- Adjusted the height of the ceiling in the room behind the second control point
- Added some slight visual detail to various concrete rooms throughout (team color stripe)
- Adjusted the height and width of various doors throughout the level. Mostly focused on primary paths into combat areas, with an eye towards standardizing door sizes where possible.
- Fixed an angled playerclip brush above 2nd control point that players could surf on (thanks Photon)
- Adjusted height of 'tank' in L room behind 2nd control point
- Moved two tall spotlights back into a clipping brush at mid to avoid very small collision issue (thanks Bilbert)
- Adjusted some clipping issues by turning rooftop brushes into displacements/func_brushes throughout the map and disabling collision (thanks Bilbert)
- Clipped off some glass windows at 2nd
- Added crate to cargo containers at mid, allowing scouts to get onto the highest cargo container
- Added props to the clipping ramp around the final control point to indicate collision
- Replaced brush fence on the platform in alley with a metal prop to solve an asymmetrical shadow bug (thanks Bilbert)

Bluth54

This last update got delayed from last Thursday, I have a feeling it was supposted to include the casual changes listed in the blog post but they couldn't get it working. Hopefully they'll get it working soon.

The TF2 team seems to have such problems getting the matchmaking working correctly and it feels so bolted on and not fully integrated into TF2 (like you you can't see the items you get until after you go back to the main menu and can't leave the menu to view your backpack while searching for a game).

I'm guessing the reason is TF2 has such old code it was never designed for matchmaking and they're having to make serious changes to get it working.

When I first heard about competitive coming out I was kinda hoping they would have a calibration system so I could see my true blue TF2 mmr. I held my own in the upper echelons of a lot of the community servers back in the day including Janky GAF, if anybody here remembers who I was. I see a lot of familiar names here. It looks like from the notes everyone still starts at level one? And the point boosts you get increase your mmr rate based on wins only and not individual performance (damage out put accuracy, kills, etc.)? Am I reading that right?

I kind of want to try it, but I'm not sure about spending 10 bux on the ticket or giving Gaben my phone number.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They do have a calibration system if you pay IIRC. That's what the "competitive" is supposed to do. Casual will just matchmake you via region and then place you within similar win/loss, AFAIK.

Yeef

When I first heard about competitive coming out I was kinda hoping they would have a calibration system so I could see my true blue TF2 mmr. I held my own in the upper echelons of a lot of the community servers back in the day including Janky GAF, if anybody here remembers who I was. I see a lot of familiar names here. It looks like from the notes everyone still starts at level one? And the point boosts you get increase your mmr rate based on wins only and not individual performance (damage out put accuracy, kills, etc.)? Am I reading that right?

I kind of want to try it, but I'm not sure about spending 10 bux on the ticket or giving Gaben my phone number.
Junior member.

(I don't have anything useful to say.)

Bluth54

They do have a calibration system if you pay IIRC. That's what the "competitive" is supposed to do. Casual will just matchmake you via region and then place you within similar win/loss, AFAIK.

They don't have a calibration system but based on their last blogpost they're working on one:

As an Australian, I'm proud to see Jasmines "kill our med, we don't give a shit" mentality being used effectively. If you send 2 players in on a long flank to kill Dave, expect the rest of your team to get romped in a 5v3 in the meantime.

Bluth54

I haven't gotten a chance to watch a ton of i58, but what I have gotten to watch has been a lot of fun and very much worth watching. I'm hoping we continue to see the comp TF2 scene grow.

As an Australian, I'm proud to see Jasmines "kill our med, we don't give a shit" mentality being used effectively. If you send 2 players in on a long flank to kill Dave, expect the rest of your team to get romped in a 5v3 in the meantime.

The best strat by far.

"Red's Soldier is looking shaken after that med pick!"

EDIT: Marketplace.tf has such awful ads.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
All-EU grand finals... we i49 again.

Freestate showed up and performed really well for his first LAN, but Froyo's projectile classes were totally outclassed. :X Then again, Mike is for sure the best soldier in the game.

Try again next year, 4G and JT!

I want to see Full Tilt carry their momentum through and win it all.

EU finally learning what it's like to win at something ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

But I think this is the highest viewership I've ever seen for a TF2 tourney. I don't think Dreamhack broke 3k.

Top Bottom