• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

tech help - replaced power supply, now MB doesn't detect IDE drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyC

got called in early this morning as someone's comptuer wouldn't start up. tested the power supply - it was dead. replaced it, booted it up, but now it won't detect any of the IDE drives. I'd clear the CMOS, but I can't find the manual or anything that would help me to idenifty the motherboard as to find the manual online. Help, please.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Uh oh.

;)

Check the connections, carefully. Standard IDE cables can sometimes come loose when you're working inside.

Is the power supply more or less powerful than the one you replaced? Unplug everything but the hard drives and the motherboard to see if they spin up?

dem

Disconnect the drives.
Connect one and set it as master.

Doesnt detect it?
Sucks for you :p

BuddyC

*groan*

it detects the CD-ROM drive as a secondary master. I checked the cables and jumper settings for the HD, and it still doesn't detect it. I know the HD gets power, because it does that "ee-n-ot" sound when the computer boots. Even with dead HDs, I can get the BIOS to read them. Argh.

BuddyC

first i switched the IDE cable with that of the CD-ROM. still no detect.

then i thought that the slot could be dead, so i plugged it into the secondary IDE port. still no luck.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
url]

Every PC owner should have one of these and a TV card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom