• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techradar's game of the generation: Astrobot PSVR

By being able to move the camera with your head, yet the game plays as any other average 3D platformer. This only reinforces my point.

Ad hominem
One game reinforces your point about a whole medium? If anything that's what we called cherry-picking to make it seem like you've won an argument. Flat-earthers love to do this too.

VR objectively provides more interaction potential and agency than non-VR; this is not something you can debate; it's a mathematical fact due to the significantly higher degrees of freedom.

Greirat

I did enjoy the Astrobot demo, but never got around to playing the full game. They were certainly doing things with VR that I hadn't seen before, really playing to its strengths.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Astrobot VR is very close to being my game of the generation too. Absolutely gorgeous, innovative, fun, memorable, adorable. It just is that good.

I am the one emotionally invested? You are the one who cannot stop trolling VR threads with no VR experience at all, It seems to me you are emotionaly invested in the downfall of VR for no reason.

You could ignore the thread you don't know anything about and get on with your life normally (But you can't help yourself can you)

Your "opinion" without any experience on the thread your posting on is just pushing a troll agenda.
You can ignore me ignoring you while ignoring this thread and get on with your life normally (but you can't help yourself can you)

Report me for what? Saying that I don't think a game is GOTG worthy?

Do you know how pathetic that report is?
To be fair, he kinda has a point. It's not really wise to hate something that you have not tried yet. VR is something someone has to experience firsthand to be able to say if its good or bad. Normal games you can maybe have a case for by saying they're shit or awesome by checking gameplay clips but VR is totally different. I don't have an opinion on VR as I have yet to try it. So i reserve judgement until i maybe get it one day.

The reporting bit is a bit of a stretch though. I mean, FUCK !! lol

Last edited:

Resenge

You can ignore me ignoring you while ignoring this thread and get on with your life normally (but you can't help yourself can you)

To be fair, he kinda has a point. It's not really wise to hate something that you have not tried yet. VR is something someone has to experience firsthand to be able to say if its good or bad. Normal games you can maybe have a case for by saying they're shit or awesome by checking gameplay clips but VR is totally different. I don't have an opinion on VR as I have yet to try it. So i reserve judgement until i maybe get it one day.

The reporting bit is a bit of a stretch though. I mean, FUCK !! lol
If people can get banned for saying "PS5 has 9.2tf" then I would think saying shit like this is reportable too for at least a warning. It is not like its the first time he has talked shit about VR games without any experience of any VR games.

Check other VR threads especially the should Microsoft adjust their strategy thread. He is just one of a core group of people who love to troll VR threads.

Last edited:
If people can get banned for saying "PS5 has 9.2tf" then I would think saying shit like this is reportable too for at least a warning. It is not like its the first time he has talked shit about VR games without any experience of any VR games.

Check other VR threads especially the should Microsoft adjust their stratagy thread. He is just one of a core group of people who love to troll VR threads.
Yeah that is fucking weird man. I never did understand that.

That's all good though mate. Can just agree to disagree with someone and move on.

Elcid

Banned
I actually agree with this. Hands down the most unique experience of this generation and I agree with the comparison to Mario 64. This game really was innovative and different. Anyone who judges it without playing it is a total asshole.

Romulus

By being able to move the camera with your head, yet the game plays as any other average 3D platformer. This only reinforces my point.

And you singling out "moving your camera with your head" proves my point even further than it already was. Which is saying alot. You really don't get it all and it's even more apparent with every additional post.

I never once thought moving my head around in Astrobot was anything special, you're missing the point.

Last edited:

Neff

it might be fun to look around, but that's it, a device for spectators, not active agents in the world.

There are things done in Astro Bot which simply wouldn't be as much fun without VR. The way you move and position your head has a direct tactile effect on the game world, and it's very specifically designed to reveal/conceal elements based on your perspective at any given time.

Granted, most VR games do simply let you 'look around' (although RE7 gives you a distinct tactical advantage by being able to look/shoot around corners) for a more immersive experience, but Astro Bot takes the technology and makes an actual video game out of it.

You could have just said you haven't played it.

Last edited:
3D platforming 1 year prior Mario 64 made better
FPS, 3D, Platforming, /s hooter

incidentally, I would very much enjoy Jumping Flash VR much better than Astro Bot - btw, both by same Japan Studio

don't get me wrong: Astro is an excellent and polished platformer. But it's just that: a regular platformer with usual platforming tropes from the past 40 years played by controlling a small character with a gamepad

that's just not what VR gaming is about

Even average games are praised as "revolutionary" as a way of promoting an expensive peripheral. Take away the VR gimmick and that becomes even more clear.

It's motion controls all over again, and here we are, back to using normal controllers. Even Nintendo that managed to make it fun gave up on the idea.

Journos are promoting VR as as a "revolution" in interactivity. And ironically, VR is the input device that limits interactivity the most -- it might be fun to look around, but that's it, a device for spectators, not active agents in the world.

boy, this reminds me back when I was just as clueless talking VR out of my ass

fun times of flat beliefs...

wd40

I'd absolutely love to play Astrobot, but I have no VR. If they do a VR for PS5 i might get that and play Astrobot on it tho. If they drop a Half Life: Alyx port on PS5VR my brother says he'll buy it literally for that one game so lets hope lmfao

you the player is right there along with Astro. This changes everything. You're not just controlling and looking at the little robot all around, above and below you: you're drawn into the action as you headbutt your way through obstacles, when you need to dodge goo spit your way, when you slingshot Astro into targets, when you throw shurikens at enemies or at walls to serve as platforms to him etc.

either come to VR and stop making a fool of yourself with ridiculously ignorant comments or go back to passive watching tv while pushing buttons and don't bother with VR

Neff

you the player is right there along with Astro. This changes everything. You're not just controlling and looking at the little robot all around, above and below you: you're drawn into the action as you headbutt your way through obstacles, when you need to dodge goo spit your way, when you slingshot Astro into targets, when you throw shurikens at enemies or at walls to serve as platforms to him etc.

Exactly. You're controlling two characters at the same time- Astro and your head, which can actually do a great deal more than Astro can. You're basically his protector and the enabler of his way forward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom