• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techradar's game of the generation: Astrobot PSVR

Birdo

Banned
e26.jpg

Thank you!

They could have just said "Okay" and moved on. But nope, had to derail the thread just because they disliked my opinion.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Thank you!

They could have just said "Okay" and moved on. But nope, had to derail the thread just because they disliked my opinion.
Your opinion, so far, has been of no value for this thread. You seem to be the only one that gives it any value.

Birdo

Banned
You derailed the thread by calling a full-fledged platformer a tech demo

Don't play dumb you know what you were doing lol

Holy shit!...... FINE.

*Takes a knee*

I apologise for calling this VR Minigame Collection a "Tech Demo" and not worthy of Game of The Generation.

I also apologise for doubting Xenu VR.

There. Move on, and I will too.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I'm waiting for PSVR2 to play this game. I do hope psvr2 is compatible with psvr1 games, I have 5 games I'm waiting to play on it. The low res of psvr1 and my motion sickness don't get along.

Bankai

I wholeheartedly agree!

You really can’t judge this game before having played in on PSVR. It’s really THAT good and inventive. A new kind of experience in gaming for me.

One on the games of the generation for me. hell, one of the best games EVER IMO.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
There really should be more known developers working on VR. If Sony bring PSVR2 to the PS5, I'll definitely pick up this console instead of the Xbox.

I own a rift S and while it's very cool , my PC is starting to show its age. But I'm not willing to get a new one yet, it's too expensive.

So a PS5 would be the best bet.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
I really wanted to play this but after getting a quest it’s difficult to want to faf with the wires and the controllers.

Maybe I should jump back into PSVR for this and Iron Man. 🤔🤔🤔
Could always wait for that rumored PSVR 2 for PS5. Supposedly a lot less cables and easier set up.

Keihart

It's a tech demo.
Hello fellow gaffers, i haven't played the game but i'm gonna pretend that i have insight on the matter based on what i've read and heard about the game, i think the game is only a tech demo and not worthy.
Don't you dare to challenge my opinion, I've heard a lot about the game from what i read and hear to know that it's not really that good, no need to play it, my opinion it's valid enough as it is.

Now excuse me, i'll go watch some let's plays so i can talk shit about some other games i don't play, maybe even write some reviews.

Romulus

Hello fellow gaffers, i haven't played the game but i'm gonna pretend that i have insight on the matter based on what i've read and heard about the game, i think the game is only a tech demo and not worthy.
Don't you dare to challenge my opinion, I've heard a lot about the game from what i read and hear to know that it's not really that good, no need to play it, my opinion it's valid enough as it is.

Now excuse me, i'll go watch some let's plays so i can talk shit about some other games i don't play, maybe even write some reviews.

Not to mention, watching VR doesn't even make sense.

Moss has the same gameplay ideas but after the first few levels it became sameness. I would rank Moss more of a tech demo.
Astrobot kept the ideas fresh and fun and evolving with each new level.
Astrobot then took the time to dress up the levels and worlds with character, themes, and music.

Resenge

Moss has the same gameplay ideas but after the first few levels it became sameness. I would rank Moss more of a tech demo.
Astrobot kept the ideas fresh and fun and evolving with each new level.
Astrobot then took the time to dress up the levels and worlds with character, themes, and music.
Susprised we haven't had another Moss game or some big DLC. loved that one also.

Neff

Astro Bot Rescue Mission does for VR what Mario 64 did for 3D

Not even close, but it's still bloody good.

It's the best use of VR I've seen, in addition to being the best attempt at this type of game I've seen outside of Nintendo and Sega. It's a must-play for any platformer fan.

I never said that I did. I'm going by reviews and people's impressions.

You've been misled. The original Playroom Astro Bot was a tech demo obviously, but Astro Bot Rescue Mission is a fully fleshed game with tons of unique levels packed with ideas, spectacle and surprises, and is generally firing on all cylinders creativity-wise.

Last edited:

Romulus

Not even close, but it's still bloody good.

It's the best use of VR I've seen, in addition to being the best attempt at this type of game I've seen outside of Nintendo and Sega. It's a must-play for any platformer fan.

I think its more debatable than "not even close." There were already 3d games on PC in and around the time of Mario 64. It was simply a good Mario game, slightly ahead of its time.

Neff

I think its more debatable than "not even close."

Playing Super Mario 64 in 1996 felt like I'd gone into the future. It was a superhuman leap over everything else at the time in terms of interaction, camera work, level design, visuals and programming muscle, not to mention re-writing the rulebook on both a genre and an IP in one fell swoop. I can't think of an equally sizeable paradigm shift in game design.

Romulus

Playing Super Mario 64 in 1996 felt like I'd gone into the future. It was a superhuman leap over everything else at the time in terms of interaction, camera work, level design, visuals and programming muscle, not to mention re-writing the rulebook on both a genre and an IP in one fell swoop. I can't think of an equally sizeable paradigm shift in game design.

I was also there day 1, but being a PC gamer at the time. It was very polished, solid camera, and just a watershed platformer for 3D. But, Mario 64 definitely did not feel like a quantum leap to me in terms of overall gaming.

Last edited:

yurqqa

I think PSVR is basically not a PS4, but a different platform.

The best game of this platform is definitely Astrobot, but it's not that easy to compare it with classic TV consoles.

It's just a completely different experience when it's done right.

Is it the greatest 3D platformer since Sonic Adventure 2 :pie_thinking:

I'd say since Mario 64. It's THAT kind of jump like 2D -> 3D.

Last edited:

John2290

It's a tech demo.
The game is no less than 8 hours, longer if you're grabbing all the bots. Took me about 12 to get them all and then there is another 3-6 hours of extra content, depending on your skill, for grabbing all those bots as well as some nice little bonus stuff as a reward such as an in game crane game with figurines to collect. You could easily spend 20 hours in this game and I've come close. If you want to 100% which is what any dedicated platformer is going to want to do, you're in for 14 hours by my guess and likely closer to 20 for the completionist. That's not a tech demo, that's a fully fledged and carved out game, one that is so good you'll want to wipe your save and replay it.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It should come as no surprise that the people who are the least impressed by the game are often those who never tried it (and have probably never even tried VR in the first place).

They still like to post about it a ton, though. They think their complete lack of experience on the subject makes them experts.

Case in point - Birdo Birdo has 18/50 posts on the first page. So 36% of the first page of this thread is dominated by someone who has never played the game but is absolutely certain it's not good and must express this "expert opinion" fervently.

Raonak

Banned
Definitely one of the most magical awe inspiring games of this gen.

Imo, PSVR in general was one of the highlights of this generation. It felt like something that could not be done last gen

Love people declaring what the game of the generation is when the current generation is receiving support for years to come. How does one objectively choose a best game from over 7 years worth of titles anyways? Just fanboy gibberish that means nothing. Astrobot was good but it didn't stick with me.

It didn't create a compelling world, story or characters. It wasn't highly addictive or endlessly replayable. I'm not even sure if it was the most innovative game in recent years. By what metric can it be the objective best of anything other than some psvr top 10 list? Guess I'm just not the audience of these clickbait things.

At the end of the day my assessment of Astrobot is an average platformer with a shockingly good soundtrack and a heavy reliance on gimmicks. Once the shock and awe of first putting the headset on wears off, it's not a title that's going to keep bringing you back. For that Beat Saber is hands down a better VR game.

Last edited:

Romulus

Even average games are praised as "revolutionary" as a way of promoting an expensive peripheral. Take away the VR gimmick and that becomes even more clear.

It's motion controls all over again, and here we are, back to using normal controllers. Even Nintendo that managed to make it fun gave up on the idea.

Journos are promoting VR as as a "revolution" in interactivity. And ironically, VR is the input device that limits interactivity the most -- it might be fun to look around, but that's it, a device for spectators, not active agents in the world.

I mostly play racing simulators and RPGs on PC, Astrobot is simply undeniably great. Theres no way to downplay it.

And you saying it limits interactivity is more revealing than you intended. You absolutely have not played it. It gives you more interactivity and its purposeful. It makes normal platformers feel like spectator games by comparison, its actually the opposite of what you're trying to say.

Last edited:
Even average games are praised as "revolutionary" as a way of promoting an expensive peripheral. Take away the VR gimmick and that becomes even more clear.

It's motion controls all over again, and here we are, back to using normal controllers. Even Nintendo that managed to make it fun gave up on the idea.

Journos are promoting VR as as a "revolution" in interactivity. And ironically, VR is the input device that limits interactivity the most -- it might be fun to look around, but that's it, a device for spectators, not active agents in the world.
Don't be an armchair developer when you can't grasp simple concepts of game design.

This is the kind of comment you'd read from a flat earther except relating to game design instead, and as an actual developer it's kind of embarrassing.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I wouldn't go as far as calling it a troll. It's fun for a short while. But it's still just a glorified tech demo.
"Super Mario 64 is just a glorified tech demo."
"Halo: Combat Evolved is just a glorified tech demo."
"Crysis is just a glorified tech demo."
"Red Dead Redemption 2 is just a glorified tech demo."

Either you're confused with the Playroom demo, that featured Astrobot and is very much a tech demo, or, you've never played the game and shouldn't be posting. In either case, stop embarrassing yourself.

diffusionx

Gold Member
VR is by far the most interesting thing to happen in gaming this past gen. It is the most interesting thing to happen since 3D polygons in fact. Maybe the games are not good enough yet to be "game of the generation", but then again, maybe they are. I remember when I first played VR even dumb shit like bow and arrow games were some of the most immersive, mind-blowing titles I've ever played and they are far superior to that now.

I have not had the good fortune to play Astro Bot and it's one of the few games I feel like I missed out on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom