• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 5 runs on system 258

MAZYORA

"We once again must tip our hats to Tekken Zaibatsu for further information on the upcoming Tekken 5 fighting game from Namco. There has been some speculation recently about what hardware the new Tekken title will be running on. We can now confirm that Tekken 5 will be using an upgraded version of the System 246 arcade hardware, aptly named, System 258. The System 258 is based on PlayStation 2 hardware with several enhancements in key areas, so when Tekken 5 heads to the PlayStation 2 in 2005, the transition should be fairly smooth.

Another minor tidbit that may interest players is that like Virtua Fighter 4, Tekken 5 will be available with and without the card system. As we reported last week, Tekken 5 will offer a character customization system that allows players to use a data card to customize their character's color scheme and outfit. This was widely used in Sega's Virtua Fighter 4 arcade cabinets and was a big success in Japan.

Since Tekken 5 will allow arcade operators to purchase a cheaper arcade board without the card system, many gamers may not have the chance to utilize this function. With arcades in decline here in the United States, there's a good chance many arcades will opt for the cheaper solo board instead of the more expensive board and card system. In addition, it has also been discovered that Namco will not offer the board without the full cabinet for at least the first production run of Tekken 5. That means that instead of converting an older game into Tekken 5 by using an existing cabinet, arcade owners will have to purchase a new cabinet if they want Tekken 5 as soon as it's released.

The board will be sold separately from the cabinet at some point after the initial production run, but with a Fall release date, arcades waiting for this option may not receive the game until early 2005. While this is certainly subject to change, Namco's actions may support recent rumors suggesting the title will hit the PlayStation 2 in early 2005. If this rumor has some truth behind it, perhaps Namco is trying to garner the highest possible profit during the titles shorter than normal arcade run?

Whatever the case may be, we'll be sure to keep you posted on the latest Tekken 5 information as it comes in from Namco and Tekken Zaibatsu."

Source: http://sony.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/6764

If already posted, sorry! Anywhooo....I wonder how much more powerful it is than
system 246/PS2? I bet it's prolly similar to system 12 compared to system 11 in terms of power. Or Naomi to Hikaru. It's prolly just a system 246 with more ram. I'm suprised it runs on a new board, because from the video and pics, it doesn't look like anything PS2 couldn't handle. Maybe it looks a lot better in person.

Anyanka

Namco not selling T5 as a kit at release is insane. What are they thinking? That's the same trick Midway unsuccessfully pulled with MK4. A lot of arcade operators are just going to say screw it and not buy it. I didn't even know Namco still made dedicated cabinets for the Tekken games. I am like positive TTT and T4 were conversion kit only.

GigaDrive

Banned
I wonder how the PS2 port will turn out since the arcade version runs on more powerful hardware?

well, if System 258 is a modest upgrade of the PS2-based System 246, kind of like the System 12 board (Tekken 3) was a modest upgrade of the PS1-based System 11, then I would imagine Tekken 5 on PS2 (a conversion not a port) would be a modest and noticable downgrade (not a huge downgrade) from the arcade.

let me rephase that a bit, if maybe that did not make sense to you... the PS2 version of Tekken 5 should probably be a fairly close conversion of the arcade, with probably a noticable but not severe drop in graphics and perhaps speed/framerate, as was the case with Tekken 3 on PS1.

Tekken 5 on PS2 will probably not be as close to the arcade as Tekken1 and Tekken2 on PS1, or identical like Tekken4 on PS2. the best guess would be like Tekken3 on PS1.

maybe Tekken 3 on PS1 seemed exactly like the arcade to you, or others, I don't know. maybe it seemed like a horrible downgrade. for me, it was inbetween. it was a noticable downgrade, but not too bad. not like the huge downgrade of Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn from the stunning Model 2 arcade version.

MAZYORA

ourumov said:
Feel very curious about the enhancements it has over S246...

Like I said, I'm guessing it's prolly a similar upgrade to what System 12 was over System 11, or Hikaru to Naomi. I'm really curious to see if it's just a ram upgrade, or if there are some new chips in there too. I'm kinda glad Namco is using new hardware, I like arcade games that are better than their console counterparts. Kinda off topic, but... I really can't wait 'til Sega unveils Naomi 3.

jarrod

Banned
I bet we see Soul Calibur 3 on System 258 in 2005... followed by enhanced PS2/Xenon/Revolution releases in 2006. :)

Also, I wonder if Sega might be retiring the "Naomi" name with that mysterious "System SP" trademark turning up? Then again, maybe the new PVR board will be "Atomiswave 2" now that Sega's been forced to take over the board? Who knows?

MAZYORA

jarrod said:
I bet we see Soul Calibur 3 on System 258 in 2005... followed by enhanced PS2/Xenon/Revolution releases in 2006. :)

Also, I wonder if Sega might be retiring the "Naomi" name with that mysterious "System SP" trademark turning up? Then again, maybe the new PVR board will be "Atomiswave 2" now that Sega's been forced to take over the board? Who knows?

There is definatly a new Naomi board in the works, whether or not its called Naomi is uncertain though. Hopefully it's the most powerful hardware available and beats the next gen consoles in terms of power.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'd imagine the home port will depend on whether it is multiplatform or not...

If they are planning on ONLY porting to PS2, I'd bet that it will be very very close to the original. I'd say it would be much closer to matching the arcade version of the game than, say, VF4 PS2 was to matching THAT arcade system...and that was a better port than Tekken 3 (PSX) or VF2 (Sat).

If it goes to all three systems, the PS2 version will likely have some additional flaws as a result (kinda like SC2).

BTW Maz, during my trip, I finally played all the way through Billy Hatcher. It is a very fun game, but I still fail to see how you could be impressed with the technology. The worlds are very simple in comparison to almost ALL other recent platformers (going back to stuff like Jak and Daxter and onwards) and there are some slowdown issues at times. The only part of the game that looks beyond Dreamcast level is the water. Even the textures aren't that hot (especially in comparison to Sonic Heroes). It is visually appealing, however...just not technically impressive.

Also, like Heroes, it looks absolutely fantastic in progressive scan mode. For some reason, those two games are among the most vibrant I have seen. The colors are so intense and beautiful. Does Sonic Adventure 2 Battle support prog-scan? I'd be interested in that version if it did...

hirokazu

dark10x said:
If it goes to all three systems, the PS2 version will likely have some additional flaws as a result (kinda like SC2).

huh? never seen the PS2 version, but i thought the general notion was that it looked identical to the arcade version?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
hirokazu said:
huh? never seen the PS2 version, but i thought the general notion was that it looked identical to the arcade version?

No, it's not. In fact, SC2 PS2 is the worst version out there because it has a lot more slowdown than the arcade version, and the GC/XB versions. Good thing it only happens when it's non-consequential.

dark10x

hirokazu said:

It did. However, they both had slowdown at points and lacked a few special effects common with NAMCO PS2 titles...

I firmly believe that SC2 could have looked more impressive had it never been released on GC and XBOX.

MAZYORA

dark10x said:
I'd imagine the home port will depend on whether it is multiplatform or not...

If they are planning on ONLY porting to PS2, I'd bet that it will be very very close to the original. I'd say it would be much closer to matching the arcade version of the game than, say, VF4 PS2 was to matching THAT arcade system...and that was a better port than Tekken 3 (PSX) or VF2 (Sat).

BTW Maz, during my trip, I finally played all the way through Billy Hatcher. It is a very fun game, but I still fail to see how you could be impressed with the technology. The worlds are very simple in comparison to almost ALL other recent platformers (going back to stuff like Jak and Daxter and onwards) and there are some slowdown issues at times. The only part of the game that looks beyond Dreamcast level is the water. Even the textures aren't that hot (especially in comparison to Sonic Heroes). It is visually appealing, however...just not technically impressive.

Also, like Heroes, it looks absolutely fantastic in progressive scan mode. For some reason, those two games are among the most vibrant I have seen. The colors are so intense and beautiful. Does Sonic Adventure 2 Battle support prog-scan? I'd be interested in that version if it did...

Dude, I totally disagree! Billy Hatcher has awesome graphics, and are much more impressive the Sonic Heroes. Have u played the snow castle stage where u have to roll the snowman's head? All the snow deforms and moves in realtime(ala Virtua Fighter 4.)And the textures are awesome in BH. Every texture in Billy Hatcher has a weird smudgemapping effect, it almost looks like oil crayons, it's like a weird bumpmap. There are some textures ripped from the Sonic Adventure series and they have this effect addede too. Overall, I think BH is impressive.

MAZYORA

segasonic said:
So, what's the difference between System 258 and standard PS2 hardware / System 246? More V-RAM, I suppose?!

I wonder why Namco is using a new board? Tekken 4 really didn't seem to be maxing out PS2.

DrDogg

Gunsmoke said:
It's been discovered ?
huh ?
All arcade game manufacturers sell their warez in the same manner.
It's been the norm for donkey's years.

Dude... read it again. Of course it's known that arcade manufacturers sell the games with the cabinets. What the article is CLEARLY saying is that the solo board option will NOT be available at the time of release. That is NOT usually how it goes. With every other Tekken title the solo board and board + cabinet options wer both available at the time of release. This will not be the case for Tekken 5 (unless Namco changes their minds).

Also, there's a chance the System 258 is simply a System 246 with the added card system. I'm working on getting the specs though.

dark10x

MAZYORA said:
Dude, I totally disagree! Billy Hatcher has awesome graphics, and are much more impressive the Sonic Heroes. Have u played the snow castle stage where u have to roll the snowman's head? All the snow deforms and moves in realtime(ala Virtua Fighter 4.)And the textures are awesome in BH. Every texture in Billy Hatcher has a weird smudgemapping effect, it almost looks like oil crayons, it's like a weird bumpmap. There are some textures ripped from the Sonic Adventure series and they have this effect addede too. Overall, I think BH is impressive.

I dunno, I found it to be one of the least impressive looking GC games yet. Everything is very low poly, the textures very often look blurry, there is tons of object draw-in, and there is plenty of slowdown when the particles start flying. Sonic Heroes has more detailed areas, much higher poly models, better textures, and more effects overall.

Then you start to compare it to stuff like Naughty Dog's engine and you REALLY see how lacking it is in comparison. I didn't like the game, but Jak and Daxter's grahpics engine is very impressive and handles MUCH more than BH ever did.

I mean, in BH, you see large slabs of level geometry and they are generally EXTREMELY simplistic (ie - giant, flat polygon sides) whereas you NEVER see that kind of stuff in many other games.

MAZYORA

dark10x said:
I dunno, I found it to be one of the least impressive looking GC games yet. Everything is very low poly, the textures very often look blurry, there is tons of object draw-in, and there is plenty of slowdown when the particles start flying. Sonic Heroes has more detailed areas, much higher poly models, better textures, and more effects overall.

Then you start to compare it to stuff like Naughty Dog's engine and you REALLY see how lacking it is in comparison. I didn't like the game, but Jak and Daxter's grahpics engine is very impressive and handles MUCH more than BH ever did.

I mean, in BH, you see large slabs of level geometry and they are generally EXTREMELY simplistic (ie - giant, flat polygon sides) whereas you NEVER see that kind of stuff in many other games.

Dude, the levels are huge in Billy Hatcher! You can see the whole level from any point of a stage, there is ZERO pop-up. Sure, smaller objects such as animated trees and breakable rocks FADE in, but the actual level itself is completly drawn out. As for Sonic Heroes vs Billy Hatcher, Billy Hatcher wins! I've compared the two, and overall, Billy Hatcher wins in every aspect, especially in special effects. From the deformable snow to the thousands of polygonal floating baloons, BH whoops SH in the graphics department. The water in Billy Hatcher is some of the best ever on GC; everything underwater bends and distorts--simply breathtaking. I can see why you would think the textures are a bit blurry, but if you look closly, it's actually a technique that smudges the texture to make it look like oil crayons--it's sorda like a version of a bumpmap. It gives the game that hand painted look, sorda like Yoshis Island. I think Billy Hatcher is so kick-ass in the graphics department, but then again, that's just my opinion. I really wish Sonic Team would've kept Sonic Heroes exclusive to GC, I can only imagine how bad-ass it would've looked if it was completly built around GC(though ST did lead with GC, but they still used renderware, not thier own engine.) Sonic Heroes has really good graphics, but it bums me out every time I play it because I know it could've been so much more.

Top Bottom