• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell Me About 'The Young Ones'

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yeah, the old BBC show. I've never seen it (until now, actually...it's on)

It's strange. Pretty strange. Funny though. Maybe I'll start watching it, regularly.

border

I liked how weird it was. I didn't really think it was funny though. I couldn't finish the first disc of the DVD set, just because I got kind of bored and figured that there were better things to watch.

It's very uneven. Bambi, and Flood are probably hte best episodes, and Oil was good.

ANd whichever one has them renting the VCR from Harry the Bastard.

Oh, and the one with Narnia, and the potion that turns people into axe-weilding homocidal maniacs ("It's a cure-- for not being an axe-wielding homocidal maniac'_

Trevelyon

Once you're done with the Young Ones... try get your hands on Bottom season 1&2.

B00009V901.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

GDGF

Soothsayer
I think i'm getting into some kinda BBC comedy kick. I've always ignored the channel (don't really know why now) but there is definitely some good stuff on there.

Episode I was watching was 'The Bomb' I believe. The one about the nuke that crashes into their flat.

The Young Ones is brilliant, it revolutionised British comedy. The first episode its about 10mins in and you haven't seen vivian yet then....
He comes flying through the wall

Bored Bored Bored Bored BORED *smack's rick over head with cricket bat* Bored bored bored BORED*smack self over head with cricketbat* "Even mindless violence is boring today.

Ahh thank you father i may be young but without u i wouldn't have seen as much brilliant comedy such as the young ones, red dwarf, eddie izzard, monty python, marx brothers. :D

pilonv1

Ignatz Mouse said:
It's very uneven. Bambi, and Flood are probably hte best episodes, and Oil was good.

Still, the parts that aren't as good as Bambi or Flood are still light years above most of the stuff you'll see today. Bomb is pretty good too.

ANd whichever one has them renting the VCR from Harry the Bastard.

Nasty.

Oh, and the one with Narnia, and the potion that turns people into axe-weilding homocidal maniacs ("It's a cure-- for not being an axe-wielding homocidal maniac'_

That's Flood.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Bleh. Watch Father Ted instead! Everyone should watch that, especially Catholics as I want to see how they react.

bjork

"It's funny, isn't it, Michael... although one goes to bed, apparently free of grit, when you wake up, you're bed's full of bits."

"I don't know Vyvian, I can never see my matching undersheet for chicks."

"Heh, yeah! I have the same problem with fleas. You see, without my spectacles, fleas and bits look almost identical... not that a flea's going to be wearing my spectacles."

"Ha, nice one Vyv, the act's really coming along!"

"Thanks, Mike."
----------------------

:vyvian puts an empty cup into the teakettle:

"Mike, Mike... there's a cup of tea in the pot!"

"He's only improvising, but Shakespeare could've written his material"

"ha ha haaa ha."

-----------------------

"I HAD HALF AN APPLE IN THERE! Alright, who's taken it?!"

"What you were doing? Saving it for teacher? Trying to keep the doctor away?"

"If he's anything like YOU, yes! Was it you who took it, Mike?"

"If you're going to sin, you might as well be original..."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I don't know."

------------------------

"This may sound like a stupid question... lip nip bip vip pip?"

"Yes, it does."

-------------------------

"I got 'war' tattooed on this hand, 'peace' tattooed on this hand, and I got the brothers Karamazov on my back, but you can't see that, because... y'know, I got me shirt on."

"Doesn't it hurt?"

"Naw, it's cotton and polyester blend."

---------------------------------------------

etc.

pilonv1

bjork said:
"I HAD HALF AN APPLE IN THERE! Alright, who's taken it?!"

You missed the joke before that! "It's not as if they grow on trees or anything!"

Also from Flood, as Neil talks about going to the shop...

"What do we need?"

"Everything."

"Everything...lentils...wallpaper"

Good times.

bjork

pilonv1 said:
You missed the joke before that! "It's not as if they grow on trees or anything!"

Also from Flood, as Neil talks about going to the shop...

"What do we need?"

"Everything."

"Everything...lentils...wallpaper"

Good times.

You missed a joke setup in the middle!

"So what do we need?"

"You know exactly what we need! We need everything besides green globules, urine samples, and super mousse!"

"Right, everything. Lentils... wallpaper..."

"JUST GET TO THE SHOPS!"

CrunchyB

I recently watched all Bottom episodes again. It's a bit of a mixed bunch, but some episodes really shine. There's also a ton of senseless violence :)

I never enjoyed them. I've watched quite a few episodes when they were on TV and they may be amusing, but not funny (or at least that's all I can recall), I doubt I'd ever watch them if I had the series on DVD.

I'm waiting for delivery of The Office seasons 1 and 2 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom