• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown launches September 12 on XBS, PS5, and PC

Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown is a lifestyle and social experience that redefines the standards of open-world racing games. Alone or with friends, explore Hong Kong Island, accurately reproduced at 1:1 scale. Collect exceptional cars from dealerships, customize them in workshops, and showcase your style to reach the elite of the competition.

Pre-order now and experience the ultimate racing & lifestyle experience starting September 12, 2024, on Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, and PC.

Quezacolt

Always online + focus on multiplayer racing = nope.
Yep. I loved the first TDU. Was sooo good, and i never even touched the multiplayer for that game. But this one is a pass for me.
I have GT7 for the ps5, and i only own it because a coworker gave it to me, otherwise i would have never bought that game either.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
second game not so much
uAQw1zA.gif

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Always happy to see the series still ticking along, got my name in the credits of one of the older entries as QA, my first out of college job.

But it's a very different series these days compared to it's origins, closer to Forza Horizon than Need for Speed.

I still reckon unlimited 2 has my favorite character select ever made.

That fucking zoom into the defualt white guy who can't dance in slow motion followed by the still moving but slow downed music and dancing is PERFECTION. Shame about the annoying as fuck voice acting, but that's not the fault of the genius that created that character select.

Depending on reviews might pick this up, but I got burned out by both Foza's and GT's recent live service push, it's exhausting keeping up with all the events etc.

Last edited:
Hell yes, Test Drive Unlimited IS my favorite racing game of all time, truly visionary at the time, ex tdu devs went and made the crew, which basically is a worse version of Test Drive Unlimited.

Cant wait to dive back into it. IF its good, thats a big if with nacon.

Last edited:
Huh. Didn't know that.

This explains a lot.
Ivory Towers hired a lot of tdu devs from Eden Games.

What makes me hopefull for TDU Solar Crown is that it has creative director is Alain Jarniou, he was working on the first tdu and directed the second.

Also read that higher up in Nacon where also involved in the first TDU and are banking on it being a success and giving it ample dev time. Thus why you have so many delays without it being canceled

Last edited:

Hudo

Ivory Towers hired a lot of tdu devs from Eden Games.

What makes me hopefull for TDU Solar Crown is that it has creative director is Alain Jarniou, he was working on the first tdu and directed the second.

Also read that higher up in Nacon where also involved in the first TDU and are banking on it being a success and giving it ample dev time. Thus why you have so many delays without it being canceled
I mean, I do hope that they come up with a good alternative to Forza Horizon and The Crew (which are kind of the main competitors here).

Demo up on Steam. ^^

The demo will have no time limit and will feature “carefully curated content” designed to give players an idea of what the full game has to offer, including:
  • 9 out of 14 districts available
  • The first 15 levels of progressions
  • 16 cars available for purchase
  • 22 additional cars available for Test Drive
  • 27 races
  • Streets and Sharps clan HQs

Hell yeah! Hopefully the always online requirement is only a rumor.

I'm pretty sure it isn't, but I saw some broken English translation where someone on the dev team said they were thinking of ways to turn it off down the road. The implication was that it'll be always online until the game is EOL and then they'll figure out some way to make it offline.

I'm pretty sure it isn't, but I saw some broken English translation where someone on the dev team said they were thinking of ways to turn it off down the road. The implication was that it'll be always online until the game is EOL and then they'll figure out some way to make it offline.
I will test it in the demo. I know that it requires linking a third party account, but that does not really faze me as long as there is not a separate launcher.

Last edited:

Stuart360

64gb sigh. I mean i have 1TB Fibre so it will be like 10mins or somehting, but still i hate it with demo's these days where you have to download the whole game.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Demo up on Steam. ^^

The demo will have no time limit and will feature “carefully curated content” designed to give players an idea of what the full game has to offer, including:
  • 9 out of 14 districts available
  • The first 15 levels of progressions
  • 16 cars available for purchase
  • 22 additional cars available for Test Drive
  • 27 races
  • Streets and Sharps clan HQs

Nice. Will download tonight.

I get the feeling this is bait for old TD Unlimited and will suck the same way EA used the Most Wanted for NF 2012.

I smell dead in 3 weeks.

xrnzaaas

I don't mind the ugliest Porsche, but the G-Wagon,

puke GIF
The cover cars are hilarious actually. The sports wagon styling Porsche already abandoned with the ICE Panamera model and previous generation G-class despite the current gen being on the market for quite some time.

PS. Is it true you need Nacon account to play the demo??

Last edited:

Insane Metal

Gold Member
The cockpit animations are shite. Sterile and the wheel hardly turns past 45 degrees.

Why can't everyone just rip off driveclub ffs, the new crew game got it right.

Chase came is odd too, and the robotic sounding navigation bitch is already making me feel like Wayne Brady

What's up with the mirrors? The fuck?

Top Bottom