• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown launches September 12 on XBS, PS5, and PC

Demo is great so far. GOTY contender for me.

Hopefully they can iron out server and performance issues for launch.
I did not have as good of an experience. The IQ seems to be upscaled 520p and cannot maintain a smooth 60fps and seem to run better at 30 fps. Worst of all the graphics are not clean and have a PS3 racer patchy blur to them. It would not be an over exaggeration to say Forza Horizon 2 on PC is a better experience in its current state.

It seems that the game needs to check into a server at startup and likely keeps saves there. It does not kick if connection is lost though. The collectibles unfortunately need to check in so it is a no buy for me as I like to play stuff offline.

It is a shame because the driving mechanics and car features are pretty good. It is too bad image quality is half-assed and online check-ins are insufferable. Hard to justify a purchase when there are so many better options.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Interesting that the Switch version isn't listed anymore in the version list or marketing but also has not been officially canceled.

Switch has had other KT Engine releases and should conceivably be able to handle it in cut-down form (albeit this is a big modification of the KT Engine for open-world play and graphical add-ons, so it could stretch a system that already makes some pretty ugly-lookin Switch ports.)

Not sure yet if the portable version is canceled, delated, or if they're planning on Switch 2 instead of still trying to cram this onto the old version. (We could see it in the June Direct if it's not on Switch 2, but if it's missing from that show then probably plans have changed.)

Gambit2483

Interesting that the Switch version isn't listed anymore in the version list or marketing but also has not been officially canceled.

Switch has had other KT Engine releases and should conceivably be able to handle it in cut-down form (albeit this is a big modification of the KT Engine for open-world play and graphical add-ons, so it could stretch a system that already makes some pretty ugly-lookin Switch ports.)

Not sure yet if the portable version is canceled, delated, or if they're planning on Switch 2 instead of still trying to cram this onto the old version. (We could see it in the June Direct if it's not on Switch 2, but if it's missing from that show then probably plans have changed.)
It was reported as canceled some time ago.

Last edited:

CamHostage

It was reported as canceled some time ago.

Nope, there's no confirmation there. Nacon has quietly delisted the Switch version (and took its time scrubbing the platform name from its product pages,) but has made no mention of whether it's delayed or dead or upSwitched.

Not a big deal, Switch would not have been the ideal platform to play on (although i do like open-world casual mess-arounds on a portable personally.) It's curious though that they didn't officially drop the Switch plans when they officially killed the PS4/X1 versions.

Last edited:

Danknugz

needs VR, i saw yesterday Beam NG finally added VR after devs were opposed to it for so long. psyched on that but who know when i'll have time to drag out / set up my index.

TheStam

So I tried the demo, was curious about this as I played the OG Test Drive games and love everything Hong Kong themed. But it seems quite underwhelming. I get that this might not have a huge budget, but when it comes to graphics it honestly looks quite bad for a 2024 racing game. Shadows and lightning looked very flat, Forza Horizon 3 looked better than this. And it might have been just a pre-launch thing, but perfomance was rough as well. Couldn't hold 60 fps in 3440x1440p maxed out on DLSS Quality while frame gen seemed buggy. I can't see myself buying unfortunately.

stn

I was so hype for this until I found out there`s no offline racing and you will only race AI when the game can`t find online players. If the game sells poorly, what`s to stop them from taking down the servers so you can never play the game again. Pass unless they patch in offline racing.

StereoVsn

I did not have as good of an experience. The IQ seems to be upscaled 520p and cannot maintain a smooth 60fps and seem to run better at 30 fps. Worst of all the graphics are not clean and have a PS3 racer patchy blur to them. It would not be an over exaggeration to say Forza Horizon 2 on PC is a better experience in its current state.

It seems that the game needs to check into a server at startup and likely keeps saves there. It does not kick if connection is lost though. The collectibles unfortunately need to check in so it is a no buy for me as I like to play stuff offline.

It is a shame because the driving mechanics and car features are pretty good. It is too bad image quality is half-assed and online check-ins are insufferable. Hard to justify a purchase when there are so many better options.
Well, this is all a deal breaker. That’s too bad.

RavageX

Meh they had a great thing going with this girl when they first showed it, should’ve had her on the cover
mRIgABQ.png
I'm digging the game, but you are right. She had ALL my attention, I couldn't even pay attention to the game....and I swear to you I'm not "one of those kinda guys".

RavageX

I'm digging the game, but you are right. She had ALL my attention, I couldn't even pay attention to the game....and I swear to you I'm not "one of those kinda guys".
On a side note. I don't know what it is about this place...or maybe its just the way socializing about games has become, but damn. SO many negative people that bring a rain cloud to just about every topic. Game show? It sucks, nothing new. Game previews? Looks shit. Demo that says its an early build? Runs like ass. A game isn't 60fps? You are preparing a noose from a ceiling fan.

FFS, what do you enjoy? Do you wake up everyday with a deep sigh?

Bry0

Demo is barely functional, from what little I played I don’t hate it, but I’m not impressed like I hoped to be. Compared to tdu2 it still feels a lot smaller and contained, and loses a lot of the magic. Not so sure about this one and I hate to say that after being disappointed with the direction of the crew and horizon becoming painfully low stakes and childish in tone.

Fredrik

Heh no dodging here, nearly 50, happily married, kids, but I definitely don’t excuse myself for liking women that looks like women. She (or God) has sculpted that body to perfection!
The game would sell better with her on the cover. Zero doubt.
But she’s not in the group that gets to be included these days, so, tough luck.

I was so hype for this until I found out there`s no offline racing and you will only race AI when the game can`t find online players. If the game sells poorly, what`s to stop them from taking down the servers so you can never play the game again. Pass unless they patch in offline racing.

I really did not think this would be a problem until i played the demo, if you fail a race and try to restart it you end up having to wait for about 1 minute since it has to search for players before it throws you into a match with bots. Really takes the enjoyment out of trying to go for gold, a restart was super quick in the original games.

Every interface feels soulless and generic just, the victory animations looks stupid as hell. I also dont like they have the "free roam" aspect from TDU2's car dealership, i would perfer it was like the first game where you just cycled through cars instead of having to walk and look at everything. Also evey icon blends into the map due to color choices, you have to zoom so far in to differenciate what you are looking at

My enjoyment went up when i just drove out of the city and cruised around that has to be said, for its current price i think its still a buy for me, but i would never buy it at full price. No reason when The Crew 2 sells for way cheaper and honestly seems like a better game, hell i might as well just play TDU1 or 2 on my PC instead.

Also i think the setting is wrong for the game, TDU for me is tropical sunny palm trees open wide roads, not cramped cities like hong kong

tldr: This game feels more like the crew 2+ than tdu.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

the requirements for the game is very high.
A 8700k cannot keep the game at 60fps at all resolutions.
consoles will hopefully have 30 and 60fps modes or they optimize the game more.

So far I am not really a fan of the demo

Top Bottom