• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas high school baseball game ends with 53-0 score, prompts changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
50-run baseball blowout in Texas prompts changes:

(04-07) 11:44 PDT DALLAS (AP) -- Late on a school night, in a game already delayed because of lightning, Richardson Lake Highlands High School came to bat in the top of the fifth inning leading Dallas Samuell by around 30 runs.

Then they scored another 20 or so. The final score was either 53-0, like the scoreboard read, or 57-0, like the winning coach tallied it up.
Worse even than the 56-7 Highlands win over Samuell in football this past season.

It was the most lopsided prep baseball game in state history.

The game has gone beyond just another blowout between a suburban program stocked with kids whose parents can afford out-of-season training and a school struggling to field a team in a low-income neighborhood.

It's already led to a change in the mercy rules in the local school district. Administrators hope it will bring attention to an often-ignored national rule that offers an easy way to end obvious mismatches.

Most of all, it reignited the discussion about sportsmanship in high school athletics, raising questions about how to handle being on either end of such a game.

Good thing, because the teams play again Friday night.

___

Lake Highlands coach Jay Higgins is among the dean of baseball coaches in Texas. His school opened in 1963, and he arrived in 1967, making this his 44th season. Last season, he made his 25th trip to the state playoffs, having gotten as far as regional finals twice. Also last year, he was inducted into the Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association's Hall of Fame.

He showed up to the Samuell game with 783 wins. Although his Wildcats arrived at Pleasant Grove Field sitting at 0-5, having dropped three games by a single run and going down 11-1 in another, there wasn't much doubt his team would win.

Once upon a time, Samuell High was pretty good at baseball _ state champs in 1965, the only such crown for a Dallas school. But these days, the school doesn't have enough players to field a junior varsity or freshman team. Samuell won only about three games a year when it played in Class 4A and this season was forced to join 5A, the biggest classification.

Still, first-year coach Mike Pena was 1-0 when he arrived for the home game against Lake Highlands. His Spartans had won 18-7 over a smaller-division school that hasn't beaten anyone this season.

Neither coach returned calls to talk about the game. However, by all accounts, Higgins tried to do the right thing. Once his team was comfortably ahead, Higgins pulled some starters and emptied his bench. He let his hitters swing away, but told them not to take more than one base. They didn't steal.

According to a community newspaper in Lake Highlands, the Wildcats had 44 hits: 38 singles, five doubles and a triple. They didn't have a single home run.

Samuell, meanwhile, didn't have a hit. Two guys reached on errors, so it wasn't a perfect game.

"We did everything possible," Higgins told The Dallas Morning News. "The national federation, which is the rule book we go by, says you have to play five innings before the game is considered official. That's what I was worried about if you stop after three innings and somebody comes back and says, `Well, you guys didn't play an official game.'"

While Texas coaches follow the rule of ending any game when a team is up by 10 runs after five innings, or 4 1/2 if the home team is ahead, there is another provision that can apply. Rule 4, Section 2, Article 4 of the National Federation of Baseball Rule Book (used in Texas and most states) says a game can be ended early with the agreement of both coaches and the umpire.

"It's not ever been used to my knowledge," said Mark Cousins, interim athletic director for the University Interscholastic League, the organization that oversees public high schools in Texas, and a former associate director in charge of baseball. "We don't necessarily publicize the rule, but it's been in there for a number of years."

Elliot Hopkins is the baseball rules editor and national interpreter for the National Federation of State High School Associations. He said it was irresponsible that coaches wouldn't be more versed in game-ending procedures, but the umpires should've known the rule _ or done something.

"We don't put common sense in the rule book, but we hope they use it. Nor do we legislate integrity, but hopefully they use that as well," Hopkins said. "With a game like this, you worry that a kid wouldn't want to continue. He might say, 'We just got smoked. I'm done.' Nobody wants any of that to happen."

It didn't. All 17 Samuell players returned for practice the next day.

___

The Lake Highlands campus is four miles from Covenant School, which drew headlines two years ago when its girls basketball team beat the girls from Dallas Academy 100-0. The winning coach was fired.

Darlene Wolf Moore doesn't recall that game being mentioned in the stands as Lake Highlands was routing Samuell. Her son, Ben Wolf, is a senior and the starting left fielder, and she is a staunch supporter of the Wildcats.

"It was nice to win, but that's not the way anyone wants to win," she said of the March 8 baseball game. "It was somewhat uncomfortable. We would've liked for it to end sooner."

As far as she knows, no parents or fans asked Higgins to end it. Instead, the Lake Highlands fans began cheering for the Samuell kids, she said.

"When a popped ball was going to the outfield, we were saying, `Get it, get it,'" Moore said. "When they would miss a fly ball, we'd groan, 'Ohhhhhhhhh.' We were disappointed. ... They kept on coming out every inning. It couldn't have been easy. It sure did make you admire their gumption, their stamina, their dedication to their team."

Higgins did try to stop the bleeding by ordering his players to go one base at a time.

What else could he have done?

Some coaches let kids experiment at a new position, but that risks injury. Some coaches let kids bat from the other side of the plate or simply bunting back to the mound and not running out hits, but that's akin to giving up

Hopkins has some other ideas. Different. More constructive.

"Tell the other coach, 'We'll take the win, you take the loss. Now, you want my help? We've got 30 or 45 minutes left. Let's do some drills, let's practice some scenarios,'" he said.

"The young coach would come away with respect for the older coach and have a basis for mentoring. The kids would learn how to do a hook slide, or get rid of the hitch in his giddy-up and have more control. The umpires would get to teach, which would make them feel a whole lot better than being part of a lopsided game. Fans get to listen and watch and learn, and be part of something that is really good."

But, for a wayward program like Samuell, this might not be a one-time thing.

"So? If it's 24 games and 24 clinics, you'd like to think they're getting better, as coaches and players," Hopkins said. "Maybe they'll go tell their friends, 'This guy taught me how to throw a slider,' and a few more kids come out. Eventually, they can build a program."

Hopkins recalled how special-needs players sometimes get into a basketball game and make a layup or score a touchdown in football. There was that college softball game three years ago where two players carried an opponent around the bases after she blew out a knee during a home-run trot.

He doesn't recall any such heartwarming story in baseball.

"Playing high school sports is supposed to be a good experience. Kids have fun, play for their team, wear their school colors, learn time-management skills, respect for authority, all of that," he said. "We didn't see any of that in this contest. Everyone involved failed those kids. All the adults let those kids down. It doesn't mean they're bad people. We just need to do better and be better. And we have an opportunity do it."

___

Two days after losing to Lake Highlands, Samuell lost again, 11-1.

The day after that, the Spartans won.

The score was 9-5. Like their first victory, it came against a team from a smaller classification with a program even more downtrodden than theirs.

Samuell has lost all seven games since then, the closest being 8-2. The Spartans were shut out in the other six, giving up at least 13 runs each time.

It can't ever get much worse because district officials responded to the blowout by modifying their mercy rule. Games can now be called if there's a 15-run margin after three innings. And, coaches are discovering the national rule book provision to end a game by a mutual agreement.

"It's something that we as coaches need to be aware of," said Brian Jones, head of the North Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association and the coach at Dallas Jesuit, another school in the district. "We don't want anything like that to ever happen again."

As for the Lake Highlands Wildcats, they are 9-5 since the Samuell game. That makes them 10-10 on the season, needing a win Friday night to remain above .500.

"I'm not going to say that next time we are going to win, but I hope that we can play them better next time," Pena, the Samuell coach, told the Morning News. "As long as I can get kids interested in baseball, I'm doing all right."

You tell your guys to go easy. I can't imagine they got that many runs without a ton of walks. It's not that hard to hit a soft ground ball if you're not swinging that hard. And offering to do practice drills and scenarios? That's even more insulting than running up the score.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I'm of a mixed opinion when it comes to crap like this.

On one hand my reflexive reaction is to bemoan the pussification of our species as we continue to refine our ability to duck and dodge the lessons of defeat (especially of the crushing variety) that in the end make us better at whatever it is we initially fail at.

On the other hand, I know that high school sports are serious fucking business these days and that schools with the reputation to uphold and a tax base capable and willing to pay for year-round training for their future pros' will have a sizable advantage over Broke Ass Bumfuck I.S.D.

you should try to rack up the biggest win record in order to demoralize the team... maybe their players will quit and then you will have less competition going on

I like how the winning side was nice by cheering for the losing and even offering help. That is the kind of sportsmanship I want to see. Not mercy rules

Pollux

I don't see the problem. the losing team should have worked harder. When i was in high school we won a lacrosse game 38-0.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
From The Dust said:
I like how the winning side was nice by cheering for the losing and even offering help. That is the kind of sportsmanship I want to see. Not mercy rules

Normally I hate this kind of donging, but seriously, the losing side must have sucked golf balls through a million feet of garden hose.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
zmoney said:
I don't see the problem. the losing team should have worked harder. When i was in high school we won a lacrosse game 38-0.
The game has gone beyond just another blowout between a suburban program stocked with kids whose parents can afford out-of-season training and a school struggling to field a team in a low-income neighborhood.
This is the problem, at least how I see it.

C4Lukins

layzie1989 said:
You tell your guys to go easy. I can't imagine they got that many runs without a ton of walks. It's not that hard to hit a soft ground ball if you're not swinging that hard. And offering to do practice drills and scenarios? That's even more insulting than running up the score.

They had 57 runs on 44 hits, 38 of which were singles with no home runs. The coach told them not to steal and not to go for extra bases, and emptied his bench. Not much more you can do then that. Baseball is a game of stats so you really cannot ask your team to laydown or intentionally strikeout just to end it. They just need better rules, because obviously these two teams should not be playing each other and if they are it should not be allowed to get to this level.

What's more embarrassing, being absolutely decimated or the opposing team taking pity on you and purposefully playing badly, safe in the knowledge that you can't touch them?

Slavik81 said:
Baseball's not a timed sport. The game will literally never end unless the losing team manages to get enough outs.

Interesting. I have no knowledge of baseball. How do they televise games?
Are there no leagues or anything like that? This seemed like a ridiculously mismatched game.

devilhawk

Baseball does not have a clock or rules on time so I think a mercy rule should be used. There is no guarantee that a baseball game will end; eventually coaches have to consider the health of their pitchers since most leagues do not let pitchers reenter games.

Slavik81

zmoney said:
Baseball's not a timed sport. The game will literally never end unless the losing team manages to get enough outs.

C4Lukins

Apple Sauce said:
What's more embarrassing, being absolutely decimated or the opposing team taking pity on you and purposefully playing badly, safe in the knowledge that you can't touch them?

Probably what happened here. The team took pity on them and still could not stop kicking their ass.

neoanarch

The problem here is that a semi-pro team went up against a pug team. The obvious solution is to cap spending for those teams and help the lower income schools. The other choice is to split the schools by how much they spend on the programs. But that would just leave a bitter taste in my mouth because it would undoubedly lead to seperation along racial lines.

Alucrid

Banned
Apple Sauce said:

Normally? They usually take into account longer run times and push shows back or just skip em if the game runs on longer.

Big-E

At a 30 run lead I think the game is in the game. The good side was risking injury being out there for so long. Coach should have told them to swing at everything and just get the hell out of there instead of running up the score. And before you go on me for being a Pats fan, pro sports is different from non pro sports and 30 runs in baseball is fucking ludicrous. Having as many at bats in an inning as you would in a game is unbelievable.

jakncoke

Banned
It seems like every few months some hs team gets pummeled then apologists whine and try to get rules changed. If you lose by that much you just suck, go pick up a joint and a game controller or something cause you aren't any good for sports.

No Mercy rule, just have your kids go out with class. Like Joey Votto. Sure, Joey Votto could hit a home run or at worst, an inside the park home run every at bat. But, you see, Votto is such a class act that he sometimes hits the ball for doubles and triples just so the pitchers don't feel so bad about themselves.

These kids could learn a thing or two from Joey Votto.

Orayn

Nappuccino said:
Sure, but when do you stop winning and just call it a game?
Not until the winners slake their thirst with the tears of anguish from the other team, rather than Gatorade.

From The Dust said:
I agree completely. I thought it was a fantastic idea to offer help to the other side. They obviously need it, and HS baseball for that team is something they're still trying to learn.

Cant help but be reminded of

Homer: You're Darryl Strawberry.
Darryl: Yes?
Homer: You play right field.
Darryl: Yes?
Homer: I play right field, too.
Darryl: So?
Homer: Well, are you better than me?
Darryl: Well, I never met you... but... Yes.

One of my favourite episodes.

jakncoke said:
It seems like every few months some hs team gets pummeled then apologists whine and try to get rules changed. If you lose by that much you just suck, go pick up a joint and a game controller or something cause you aren't any good for sports.
Golly..what if they're no good AT VIDEO GAMES??? Yikes.

punkypine

the winning team played conservatively, benched starters, and didnt do anything overly douchey besides just being a far superior team. it's hard to tell guys who barely play that they shouldnt try at all when they finally get a chance to go out there

I think in a game like that, its up to the losing coach/team to decide what to do. There should be a way they could forfeit, but if the players/coach decided that they wanted to keep giong, thats their choice.

the real question is why are these 2 teams even playing each other? If there is that huge of a difference in talent pools, play in different leagues

punkypine said:
the real question is why are these 2 teams even playing each other? If there is that huge of a difference in talent pools, play in different leagues

This.

Usually, there's multiple divisions ranging based on school size and yearly performance, in which teams can be moved up or down a division or so. And if these schools are in the Dallas metro area, there must be plenty schools to have a few different divisions.

see5harp

I thought the change would be that they would create a special league for the blind and disabled baseball teams.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Here, something similar happened with the college Gridiron Football league. The main problem is that a Private College saw in the sport a way to increase its visibility and started to steal players from Universities that only were in there for the sport. We have no NFL so there's no career to be made in the sport and there's no scholarship to the players (If you want to play soccer, is another thing). In the end, the Private College(s) didn't want to play by the new "competitive rules" and former their own Premier League.

alphaNoid

Banned
ruuk said:
It's a contest, not a performance. Losers lose, winners win.
This is how I feel about all sports. Enough with the mercy, enough with the 'let all the kids play' funny business. Can't make the team? Find another sport or hobby. Can't beat the other team? Lose hard and try harder.

Or quit.

/shrug

lightless_shado said:
problem is one side has an unfair advantage

Ya, years of practice and dedication.

iamblades

Apple Sauce said:
Are there no leagues or anything like that? This seemed like a ridiculously mismatched game.

Well with the pros the reasons games last longer is typically the opposite, extra innings on tied games because no one can break the tie. Typically the network will just delay whatever scheduled programming is supposed to be on. Usually the only nationally televised games are late at night or early in the afternoon on saturday or sunday, so they won't preempt any major programming even if they go a few innings long. Really long 15+ inning epics are fairly rare, and when they happen they are exciting events, so it's typically worth preempting whatever was scheduled.

On the amateur level it's rare to have a game like this because it's hard to hit a baseball no matter who is throwing it. Teams need to be very very unevenly matched for something like this to happen. Even a really hot hitting team against a poor pitcher is going to hit a lot of pop flys and ground balls that should be easy outs.

As for the leagues, each state does it different, IIRC most classify teams based solely on the number of students the school has, without taking into account what resources the school/parents have. You can't really have accurate league groupings in high school athletics anyway because the students only play varsity sports for maybe 2 years before a new group comes in, so stuff like this is going to happen.

Ezduo

Banned
alphaNoid said:
Ya, years of practice and dedication.
Looks like money too.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Some of you are showing shit sportsmanship.

The coach already took a few measures but it wound up not being enough:

"Once his team was comfortably ahead, Higgins pulled some starters and emptied his bench. He let his hitters swing away, but told them not to take more than one base. They didn't steal."

They were essentially given pitch and first base tag practice.

vas_a_morir said:
No Mercy rule, just have your kids go out with class. Like Joey Votto. Sure, Joey Votto could hit a home run or at worst, an inside the park home run every at bat. But, you see, Votto is such a class act that he sometimes hits the ball for doubles and triples just so the pitchers don't feel so bad about themselves.

These kids could learn a thing or two from Joey Votto.

TkpYP.jpg

why isn't more of baseball GAF here?

Ezduo

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
And better players. What can you do? They aren't cheating... just lucky. Them's the breaks.
Eeeehhhhh, I doubt it's luck that the school with the middle and upper class kids who have parents with disposable income beat the poor kids who probably have trouble properly paying for all their equipment. I remember playing soccer at a really crummy school in Baton Rouge with a lot of poor kids (myself included) and the money I spent on my uniform and such felt like a god dammed down payment. Beyond that there was the fact that not a lot of kids wanted to play soccer and there were rumors throughout the season that they weren't going to have enough kids next year to field a team. I know at least two kids joined just because they were assured play time every week, they didn't necessarily care about soccer though. Needless to say we got our asses kicked every week. Probably similar situation at this school. Not so much luck as a foregone conclusion.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Lake Highlands coach Jay Higgins is among the dean of baseball coaches in Texas. His school opened in 1963, and he arrived in 1967, making this his 44th season. Last season, he made his 25th trip to the state playoffs, having gotten as far as regional finals twice. Also last year, he was inducted into the Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association's Hall of Fame.
a suburban program stocked with kids whose parents can afford out-of-season training

VS

Once upon a time, Samuell High was pretty good at baseball _ state champs in 1965, the only such crown for a Dallas school. But these days, the school doesn't have enough players to field a junior varsity or freshman team. Samuell won only about three games a year when it played in Class 4A and this season was forced to join 5A, the biggest classification.
first-year coach Mike Pena
a school struggling to field a team in a low-income neighborhood

Yeah this was going to happen. i don't see any wrongdoing here, from either coach. Sounds like the real problem was Samuell High's forced change of division.

At a certain point, they should have swung away, but stop between first and second to get tagged. You are just risking injuries if you keep playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom