• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas House advances bill allowing adoption agencies to discriminate.

jmood88

Republicans want to force women to have kids, then do everything they can to punish the very same kids the instant they're born.

Adoption Agencies already have a hard enough time as is finding placements for children, why would they ever choose to discriminate?

To everyone who is thinking "nuke Texas" and "well of course it's Texas":

Texas is rapidly trending purple, and this bill could help motivate the suburbs and cities in Texas to finally tell rural conservative Texas to fuck off.

Oh and Ted Cruz is up for reelection next year, so I do what you can to turn Texas purple.

If you live in Texas, CALL YOUR REPS & VOTE. Even outside of Texas, even if you think you're living in the most saccrine sweet and caring liberal city, country or state, CALL YOUR DAMN REPS & VOTE. Let word spread and for it to be carved in stone is that this kind of unempathetic and cruel legislation is intolerable now and forever. Make it so that propositions and laws like this are always grounds to make the drafter a political pariah.

digdug2k

I'm curious, political affiliation isn't a protected class. Can you discrimate because "I think children should be brought up in Republican households"? I guess not or I'd her about assholes doing it.

As someone who is working with an adoption agency to try to get matched with an expectant mother, this is fucking disgusting and I'm glad I don't live in Texas. Fuck these assholes. This is some of the worst shit conceivable.

Fuck each and every person who voted for this and the people who would choose their misguided religious beliefs over the livelihood of children. There is a special place in hell for these people. As someone who will be looking to adopt a kid a few years down the line, I honestly don't know how how my wife and I would react if we were denied guardianship based on the fact that we're a mostly agnostic, interracial couple.

In the words of Andrew Jackson, "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it."

Yes, in the words of someone who has been dead for almost 300 years? Not sure what point you're making here unless you can point to an instance where this has happened recently.

In the words of Andrew Jackson, "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it."

Wallace_001_L.jpg

In the words of George Wallace, "Segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever!"

(Literally, the courts have no army to enforce their decisions. Practically, the norm of following them is so strong as to be nearly absolute. Not even Jackson won this one - the courts declined to order federal marshals to enforce the decision, but Georgia did free Worcester, eventually pardoned him. Worcester v. Georgia is still the bedrock case for governing relations between the federal government and American Indian tribes)

No way this sticks. No way whatsoever.

Despite that, those responsible for authoring and advancing should be ashamed of themselves. Pretty repugnant thing to do.

Are there guidelines? I mean could they also deny because the couple dries their clothes on sunday?

Only for Christian clerks?

Or what if you have your "very special own" religion?

RedRum

Banned
Looks like it is a done deal for texas.

On Thursday, Texas Governor Greg Abbott (R) signed a bill that will allow child welfare service providers to decline to provide certain kinds of care based on “the provider’s sincerely held religious beliefs.” The bill, House Bill 3859, will permit discrimination against LGBTQ couples wishing to adopt children, in addition to allowing LGBTQ children to be placed under the agencies’ care in “religious education.” The bill goes into effect in September.

https://thinkprogress.org/texas-gov...-lgbtq-youth-discrimination-bill-749cf6b94ec0

Fucking shameful.

Razmos

SEPERATION. OF. CHURCH. AND. STATE.

Fuck all these religious pieces of shit. Religion should have no place in politics and should not influence lawmaking.

If you believe in a magical sky deity then keep it to your fucking self, don't force it on others.

Ridiculous. Fucking ridiculous.

UberTag

After they take away their ability to adopt kids, when do they pass the next bill taking away their rights to vote and earn a living wage?
Why not just incarcerate the lot of them or send them to Mexico or burn them at the stake?

Way to set a shitty example, Texas.

This is why I call Texas a shithole and could never live there. It's just a republican wet dream of how we can treat people like shit, disgusting disgusting state and an embarrassment to the country.

Disgusting on every level. Texas fell straight into the shithole this year.

....I don't think you know much about Texas if you think this is a "this year" type of thing.

Ekai

It's ironic that the same guys will go on and on about Sharia law, when it's obvious they'd vote for a christian equivalent in a heartbeat given the bullshit they keep on pushing.

Pretty much how the right-wing conducts itself.

Not at all surprised. Republicans love enforcing their religion on everyone else and letting good people suffer. That this hurts not just prospective adopters but children too probably only makes the Republicans cream their pants more.

Pretty much how the right-wing conducts itself.

Not at all surprised. Republicans love enforcing their religion on everyone else and letting good people suffer, That this hurts not just prospective adopters but children too probably only makes the Republicans cream their pants more.
Yup, hates Sharia law and says how barbaric it is but has a wet dream for creating modern day crusades.

I'm planning on staying in Texas for another 3 years before selling my house and moving somewhere that's more secular. I'd rather pay income tax than be held hostage by people like Greg Abott, Ted Cruz and John Cornyn.

Venture

The more I read, the worse it gets.

As ThinkProgress noted when the bill passed the Texas House in May, the bill affects not only child placement services (think adoption agencies), but group homes, counseling services, care for abused children, and other resources for children with complicated family situations. The bill will have a broad reach, affecting organizations that provide a wide variety care options for a large number of children.

Prioritizing the religious beliefs of organizations who care for children over the religious beliefs, and human rights, of children, the bill will allow child welfare services to place LGBTQ children under their care into “religious education” that demonizes them or undermines their self-worth.

But religious minorities will also be impacted by the bill, which allows child welfare organizations to place children who are members of religious minorities (Jewish or Muslim children, for example) into Christian schools. Forcing a child whose faith ties them to their family and their culture to go through religious education for a religion that is not theirs is detrimental to the right to freedom of religion, and can have long-term consequences for the child. HB 3859 allows service providers to alienate children from their beliefs and their heritage in the name of religious freedom.

Ekai

Oh... good

...this just gets worse. Being Republican is akin to a disease at this point. Not that it wasn't before. The suffering they happily want to put people through is maddening and heartbreaking.

Darg

Neo Member

Holy crap, these people are completely nuts. The fact that this was even on the table is insane.

Edit: yeah just read the whole thing. Got no words man, thats all i can say. It's inhumane to all the kids.

This year?

This is why I call Texas a shithole and could never live there. It's just a republican wet dream of how we can treat people like shit, disgusting disgusting state and an embarrassment to the country.

....I don't think you know much about Texas if you think this is a "this year" type of thing.

Let's just say it's been especially crap the last few months. The shitty governor has been really emboldened by Trump.

HylianTom

Banned
What. The. Fuck.

This will undoubtedly go to the Supreme Court.
One big question mark in my mind right now:
will Justice Kennedy step down before it reaches SCOTUS?

Because if he does and Trump or Pence names his replacement, I don't have faith in SCOTUS doing the right thing.

Ekai

One big question imark in my mind right now

Because if he does and Trump or Pence names his replacement, I don't have faith in SCOTUS doing the right thing.

Notorious RBG too.

olag

~Give me that old time religion
Give me that old time religion
Give me that old time religion
It good enough for me~

Texas straight turning into Bioshock Infinite

Beartruck

Regardless of partisian behavior, several aspects flat out violate seperation of church and state and right to religious freedom (the actual kind, not the republican kind).

Ekai

Regardless of partisian behavior, several aspects flat out violate seperation of church and state and right to religious freedom (the actual kind, not the republican kind).

Not just that, they want to force LGBT+ orphans into what will essentially amount to conversion therapy. And discriminate against prospective LGBT parents too. This law is unconstitutional and inhumane on numerous grounds. It's literally Republican Sharia law.

Is there some rumor about Kennedy stepping down soon? Seems like I've seen people thinking this, but I'm not sure what it's based on. He's not that old, is he?

The one to worry about right now is RGB. She's, by far, the oldest judge and, by far, the most left-leaning one. She goes, the court not only has a 6-3 conservative lean, but the 'swing' vote of Kennedy no longer applies.

Arttemis

If they make it to 2018 before stepping down, I expect the Democrats and their new surge of members to do exactly what Republicans did to Merrick Garland.

If they make it to 2018 before stepping down, I expect the Democrats and their new surge of members to do exactly what Republicans did to Merrick Garland.

RGB isn't ever stepping down. She's going to Scalia it and die on the job. She knows the stakes and how important it is, so she'll stay there until she drops.

But SC judges are confirmed by the Senate. The odds of the Democrats taking the Senate are, at best, slim (look at the Senate map for 2018 and, like, really brace yourself because it really is that bad). It's not going to happen, I fear, and from now to 2020 any SC seat is going to be a free one for Trump, or whoever succeeds him if he is eventually ousted. And while it's true that the Supreme Court having a conservative lean doesn't necessarily mean every decision will be bad, with the modern GOP you can guarantee that whatever pick they give will be as far to right as realistically possible. If for no other reason but to finally kill Roe v. Wade, which is like the ultimate Republican victory call.

I mean, if against all odds, Dems take the Senate, then yes, obstruct any and all picks. Make damn sure another seat isn't stolen.

BigDug13

So based on this law, if there were some Muslim group homes for foster kids, the government is now saying it's ok to put the kids through Muslim training.

Top Bottom