• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thank you Wal-Mart, and your bargain bin of DVDs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because now, finally, I have a copy of this:

B00003CXLS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:D

Oooooh, I almost bought that at Wal-Mart, too. Instead I went with "Frogs" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." Frogs is awesome. Way awesome. It's a horror movie. About Frogs. Small ones. Small, normal frogs. That hop.

shoplifter

Got these at my Target $5 bin:

B00006G8JY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00006G8JX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

What's awesome is that each one has 10 1-minutes commercials on them. Ernest fucking ruled, and Jim Varney was a comedic genius.

Now if only we could get a "Hey Vern, It's Ernest!" DVD boxset.

Wal-Mart's $5.50 movies are good stuff. Also on principle the $1 DVDs I see at other places are nice, but they tend to be... well, just much less of movies, generally. I bought a 90-year-old silent Oz flick and a Bruce Lee movie that doesn't have Bruce Lee in it, for instance.

alejob

Honestly, I don't know why would you want to own a movie. You will watch it once, maybe a second time but thats it. It will be stuck in a shelf forever. I just rent.

shoplifter

alejob said:
Honestly, I don't know why would you want to own a movie. You will watch it once, maybe a second time but thats it. It will be stuck in a shelf forever. I just rent.

When rentals cost $4, I'd much rather pay $5 to own it forever.

Since when does renting cost $4 USD? In Australia rentals here are $1.50 USD for new releases and 70c USD for weekly DVD's.

buck naked said:
Since when does renting cost $4 USD? In Australia rentals here are $1.50 USD for new releases and 70c USD for weekly DVD's.

the fact that we don't have to live in austrailia makes up for it.

alejob said:

Good for you, and no, I really mean that. I'm sitting here with 450+ DVDs on my shelf, and am starting to rethink my dying enthusiasm for the format. I joined Netflix the other day. Also just got a Plextor 712. Not that those two things have anything to do with each other, mind you. I'm just saying.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
"Wal-Mart's Cheap DVD Bargain Bins: Because one can never have enough copies of Baywatch The Movie."

aoi tsuki

alejob said:
i could say the same thing about games, which, on a really good sale, still cost about the same as DVDs normally cost. It's not like i have time to play all the games i get, but i just can't pass up a really good deal. It's a sickness.

The only problem I have with Wal-Mart is that I don't want to have to wade through the sea of white trash, just to get to wade through the bins of DVDs.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
alejob said:

Mainly I think it just stems from a sense of appreciation for the movie, that is, you liked it so much that you now own it, even if you won't necessarily watch it alot. I bragged about my Robocop Criterion Edition DVD when they were hard to find, then they mass produced them again and the thing's probably propping up my bookshelf. Now days I'm doing the Netflix thing...

aoi tsuki said:
But, is it widescreen?
Yep, according to the box it is. :)

alejob said:
Well... I've rented Godzilla 2000 once, seen it on cable a half-dozen times at least, and watched the copy I taped off of the Sci-Fi Channel a few times already this year. So for me at least, owning the DVD is probably not such a bad idea.

But hey, to each his/her own right? :D

SKluck

Banned
I've used netflix to... accentuate my dvd collection, but there is still nothing like owning the real thing with the dvd box, cover, and full discs. Not to mention all the box sets and collector's sets. I still buy the same amount of dvds as ever.

SKluck said:
I've used netflix to... accentuate my dvd collection, but there is still nothing like owning the real thing with the dvd box, cover, and full discs. Not to mention all the box sets and collector's sets. I still buy the same amount of dvds as ever.

Yeah, this is certainly true. I think the major benefit of doing something like the above referenced action, is that you can have a movie that has a shitty transfer, but you're dying to have, like any early DVDs (Batman/Batman Returns), non-anamorphic discs (Mission Impossible), and anything else that guaranteed to see a re-release in the future. Then, when the inevitable Special Edition re-release of the anamorphic version of True Lies, Mission Impossible, Top Gun, or the extra special versions of Kill Bill, then I can buy those. Fuck those studios who want to wring every last bit of money out of the consumer.

Meier

buck naked said:

Blockbuster charges like $4.25 for a week on old releases, but new releases you only get for 2 days at that price. Some mom and pop shops are cheaper but they usually dont last. Games are like 7 bucks for a week at Blockbuster too so I never, ever rent.

alejob said:
If it's something I at all enjoy, it's worth spending a few bucks to support whomever, be able to watch it at any point in the future that it comes to mind, or show it to someone who hasn't seen it before. To me the shelf aspect is a positive; a person could learn a little something about me seeing Spaceballs, Super Mario Bros., and Night of the Living Dead sitting on a shelf.

shoplifter

Jim Varney could do that face in his sleep.

In Ernest Goes To Africa, he busts up a ring of international diamond smugglers. Good times.

edit: \/\/\/ Masterpieces of cinema, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom