• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thanks GAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Thanks, because during my years at GAF, my English skills have improved. I still remember my first posts here (well, not exactly here but on the older boards), I felt insecure about my ability to write in English. I was also worried about not being able to express my opinions in a way that people clearly would understand. But I really feel like I've improved during these past years. Of course, this could also stem from the fact that I visit English sites on the net in general, but I believe that you improve a lot more by actually writing in English yourself.

Of course, this post will probably contain some sort of spelling or grammar mistakes. :p

But anyway, apart from stealing your free time, what have these boards brought to your life?

EDIT: BTW, English is not my first language, I'm from Sweden. Just thought this fact would make my post more reasonable.

MIMIC

Banned
Kiriku said:
Of course, this post will probably contain some sort of spelling or grammar mistakes. :p

Correction: This post will probably contain some grammatical errors. ;)

Solid

I feel the same way as you do. But on the other hand I always have a dictionary right beside me just in case :)

GAF means alot to me since my biggest interests are games and movies. That's about it. I don't have any members on my icq list or something like that.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
MIMIC said:

Well, I've learned that as long as you understand what someone's trying to say, grammatical errors etc don't matter much. I mean, I try to type as correct as possible, but that's just me. I don't really care how people type, as long as I understand them.

Gattsu25

Banned
That my english skill has actually decreased since I started using online?

well...that's not true...just my ability to write in english :b

Also, GAF has helped me to watch many many movies I would otherwise skip--the same with games.

MIMIC

Banned
Kiriku said:
Well, I've learned that as long as you understand what someone's trying to say, grammatical errors etc don't matter much. I mean, I try to type as correct as possible, but that's just me. I don't really care how people type, as long as I understand them.

I know. I was just kidding. :)

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
teh 1nt3net has dun WUNDARS 4 my 3nglish skilllz!

I've been a professional writer for years now, and thanks to the GAF, I write more in one day than ever, and yet I still make stupid spelling and grammatical errors over and over and over again! :(

FortNinety said:
I've been a professional writer for years now, and thanks to the GAF, I write more in one day than ever, and yet I still make stupid spelling and grammatical errors over and over and over again! :(
It was the best of times :) It was the worst of times :(

Call me Ishmail :rolleyes

mpoutane

I'm not a native English speaker, but I get pretty good grades. And my thanks goes to LucasArts adventure games: they improved my grammar and spelling alot a few years ago!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Well, I'll admit that quite a few members here don't seem to care about spelling and grammatical errors...but there are also a few members who DO care about how they write. I reckon those are the people I learn from the most (or should, at least).

Just as an excellent example, I didn't even know that a word like "scrotum" existed, until Drinky Crow used it in a post a few months ago (I think it was about the game Vexx). I found the word hilarious for some reason, and even more so when I actually found out what it meant. :p

Kiriku said:
Well, I'll admit that quite a few members here don't seem to care about spelling and grammatical errors...but there are also a few members who DO care about how they write. I reckon those are the people I learn from the most (or should, at least).

Just as an excellent example, I didn't even know that a word like "scrotum" existed, until Drinky Crow used it in a post a few months ago (I think it was about the game Vexx). I found the word hilarious for some reason, and even more so when I actually found out what it meant. :p

ha! +10 faith in humanity.

Socreges

Banned
Your English is much better than a lot of people here who speak the language natively.

Swedes, I think, are generally the most fluent speakers of the language of any non-English-speaking country. It's pretty much taught in your schools as a second language, right?

sasimirobot

MIMIC said:

I didnt even notice a mistake in the first post, if there was one. Your english is fine (if not perfect as far as forum posting goes), dont worry.

I wish I was as hard working at languages as you...

Drexon

Banned
Yup. And all the TV shows (that are even watchable) are in english, so it comes naturally to us.

Oh, and what am I doing in here? Kiriku> You suck, everybody knows english ffs. ;)

Crispy

My English has improved a bit because of GAF. Especially on how to construct sentences and I learned some obscure words.

I mostly want to thank GAF for keeping me up to date with the latest movie and game news and all those links to funny stuff on the web I otherwise never would have seen!

Thank YOU GAF!

*Cries tears of joy*

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Socreges said:
It's pretty much taught in your schools as a second language, right?

All Swedes learn English from third grade and up. It's one of the base subjects, so to speak. I think we almost get to study as much English as Swedish, to be honest. And as Drexon said, all TV-shows and movies from the US/UK (and well, from any country in general) are subtitled in Swedish. So we're not to blame for all the PAL releases that never happened here in Europe. :p

Drexon said:
Oh, and what am I doing in here? Kiriku> You suck, everybody knows english ffs.

Yeah, this is GAF alright!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom