• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 Spike VGAs: Dec 10th @ 7:30 PM EST, Streaming Online [Kojima: SO SORRY]

The game is nearly perfect on 360 and PC. Just because it's fucked up on one system doesn't mean it doesn't deserve its accolades; I put in over 200 hours in the game and will easily put many more. Don't be mad.

Also congrats to Rocksteady and Valve! Portal 2 ran away with awards.

You are failing hard. How can Bethesda take award for best Studio, when their game is broken on one platform? Not only that, all things point out to them knowing it, yet still shipping the game together with X360/PC.

hlhbk

Overall the VGAs have come a long way for the better. Last night was far better than any others awards show for any industry this year.

CrazyDude

Overall the VGAs have come a long way for the better. Last night was far better than any others awards show for any industry this year.
It was horrible. Sorry, but it hasn't come a long way at all. You can't even call it an awards show when they only give out 3 awards. Worst awards show of any industry this year.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why did Blizzard get whatever award they got? They didn't even release anything this year.

Because the Gods of Gaming award is the runner-up variant of the Hall of Fame award.

It was horrible. Sorry, but it hasn't come a long way at all. You can't even call it an awards show when they only give out 3 awards. Worst awards show of any industry this year.

Nobody can say the latter half of his post with a straight face.

There is another award show or two that are more classier and well composed, but not in the same scope as the VGAs: GDC Awards, AIAS (Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences) and DICE Summit.

If you guys want a proper video game award show, I suggest anyone to contact any of these organizations and ask them to televise them.

nib95

Banned
Any links to the award announcements/speeches? Saw nothing in the OP or GT and wondered if there was a video summary any where.

hlhbk

Completely disagree. Every other awards show minus the scream awards make me want to fall asleep within 5 minutes.

BY2K

Membero Americo
HamillHimself Mark Hamill
Weird VGAs! Don't mind losing but I'd like to know when it happens Did I miss something?Award given off-camera? Tara & I in lousy seats BOO!

tarastrong tara strong
VGA awards r just a big commercial! They did not even announce vo live, me & @HamillHimself sat in the bleachers

tarastrong tara strong
I'm sorry, but to have @HamillHimself sit way up in the bleachers; & not even MENTION his nomination? Shame on VGA...

tarastrong tara strong
I mean, I got my make-up done; I at least wanted a close up of my face when I lost but pretended to be happy for someone else!!!

God damn. :(

best summery yet :D

z5YIy.png

Holy shit.

Any links to the award announcements/speeches? Saw nothing in the OP or GT and wondered if there was a video summary any where.
Pfft

There practically were none. Although one of the guys from the MW3 got tackled by an actor pretending to be a soldier, thrown to the ground and teabagged.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The only ones that got a speech were Blizzard, Bethesda, Infinity Ward and I think that's it.

The rest of the awards flashed by. (Seriously, like 15 awards in 60 seconds.)

Also some angry black man who has a Youtube account got about 5 minutes of screen time in which he physically threatened the guy who runs Spike TV (I guess? I missed the intro) He also tried unsuccessfully to take the host's mic away from him.

Massa

Hmm.... something doesn't look right....

You want to know what doesn't look right?

Best Game: Skyrim
Best PS3 Game: Skyrim? No, Uncharted 3.
Best 360 Game: Skyrim? No, Batman: Arkham City.
Best PC Game: Skyrim? No. Batman: Arkham City? No again. Portal 2.
Best Wii Game: Skyward Sword.

Basically they arranged the results so each GOTY nominee would get a "Best * Game" award no matter what. Fucking ridiculous.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Basically they arranged the results so each GOTY nominee would get a "Best * Game" award no matter what. Fucking ridiculous.

... That IS a big coincidence, if it's one.

Kazerei

Banned

I don't really see a problem with that. They want to spread the love around.

But you know what is kinda funny? Each GOTY nominee's developer was also up for Studio of the Year. Except Skyward Sword. Not that it really matters, Nintendo EAD is like Studio of the Forever.

Game Of The Year:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Batman: Arkham City
Portal 2
The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Studio Of The Year:
Bethesda Game Studios
Naughty Dog
Rocksteady
Valve

Heh, Hamill was miffed? So was I.

I actually like the little "hey, the character himself is talking to you to accept the award!" thing they do, but it would have been a lot better if Joker had said something like, "And to accept the award, here's the man who brought me to life, good ol' Marky!" and then Mark Hamill actually got up on stage and talked about sending off the Joker with one last performance, yadda yadda.

The actual voice talent (and the writers responsible) should be acknowledged, not just Imaginary Computer Person.

Lunar15

I'm sad to hear it was a train wreck. Not because I wanted it to be good, but because of the Konami Press Conference factor: People will tune in to the show next year to see the train wreck.

The best case scenario would be that it was just boring and pointless.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Heh, Hamill was miffed? So was I.

I actually like the little "hey, the character himself is talking to you to accept the award!" thing they do, but it would have been a lot better if Joker had said something like, "And to accept the award, here's the man who brought me to life, good ol' Marky!" and then Mark Hamill actually got up on stage and talked about sending off the Joker with one last performance, yadda yadda.

The actual voice talent (and the writers responsible) should be acknowledged, not just Imaginary Computer Person.

Thats not the issue. The issue was there was a separate award that Hammill was in the running for that nobody even noticed, and that they had shit seats in the corner somewhere. That character award was completely different, and was handled fine.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

This was a common practice that EGM and other magazines used back in the day to make the awards more interesting. Once a game is the "Best Game" of the year it cannot win other categories because it would logically just dominate them all, and then we'd just have 2 hours of "Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim."

~Kinggi~

Banned
This was a common practice that EGM and other magazines used back in the day to make the awards more interesting. Once a game is the "Best Game" of the year it cannot win other categories because it would logically just dominate them all, and then we'd just have 2 hours of "Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim."

This ends up taking credibility away from the notion that these awards mean anything outside of a big share-fest of awards. Watch something like the Oscars and movies do sweep because they are actually the best and are awarded as such.

Kazerei

Banned
This ends up taking credibility away from the notion that these awards mean anything outside of a big share-fest of awards. Watch something like the Oscars and movies do sweep because they are actually the best and are awarded as such.

But there's no "overlap" in the Oscar categories like with the VGA categories. The best picture doesn't necessarily have the best lead/support actor/actress, best director, best cinematography, best film editing, etc., but it's probably going to win at least a few of those categories. The best game of the year should logically win the best 360, best PS3, and best PC game categories as well (or whatever platforms it's on).

Skyrim wouldn't have won GOTY by that reckoning though. The judges wanted to ignore the PS3 version.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Looks like every other online GOTY awards ceremony to me. Nothing new here.

~Kinggi~

Banned
But there's no "overlap" in the Oscar categories like with the VGA categories. The best picture doesn't necessarily have the best lead/support actor/actress, best director, best cinematography, best film editing, etc., but it's probably going to win at least a few of those categories. The best game of the year should logically win the best 360, best PS3, and best PC game categories as well (or whatever platforms it's on).

This is true i had a brain fart i guess.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Again, I need to figure this out. Which game / reveal would we NOT believe? Was it Last of Us? I mean it looks interesting and I'm happy ND gets to steer away from UC for a while, but not believing a studio creating a new ip? Well, maybe that is unbelievable.

Throavium

Deadmau5 performed at last night's VGA awards, providing tunes for the event. Afterward, he went to his hotel. So far so good, except for the part where he accidentally left a prerelease PS Vita that Sony had provided him behind in a cab. Drat.

The DJ revealed the situation in an early morning tweet. "F---! I left my PSP Vita in a f----- cab, calling cab company and they say they have like 500 dispatched now. Gunna be a long night... :(" In subsequent tweets, an exasperated Deadmau5 came to terms with the likely possibility that the PS Vita is gone.

This sounds exactly like something that I would have done, except for that whole DJ part.
lololo

Top Bottom