• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 21st Century's 100 Greatest Films (BBC Poll, 177 worldwide critics)

Blader

Mulholland Drive's? Yes, absolutely. The moment you realize
that 2/3 of the movie is a dream
, everything falls into place, and it's pretty easy to dissect and discuss the numerous symbols throughout the film. It's great.

It's funny, I was absolutely hating the movie up until that moment. Like, genuinely hating it. I hated every choice made by everyone throughout the movie. Then *that* happened and completely spun my head around. :lol

Kill3r7

I'll never understand the critical hard on for Boyhood.

A 12 year project by a director who poured his blood, sweat and tears into the project. Much like folks on GAF and other internet gaming sites pull for indie projects, movie critics feel the same way about films like Boyhood. It is a very well made film which is highly profound, intimate and meaningful. When you think about it, it truly shows what our life, or at the very least growing up, is about.

kabel

That gleeful tumble down the stack of money is so perfect. I don't even remember that.

And look who is sitting tied up on top of it!

the-dark-knight-money-scene.jpg

Mr. Lao

Seen 65 of the films listed. No complaints, no one selection "invalidates" the list for me. Really need to watch Yi Yi.

Go watch White Ribbon though. Anyone got a breakdown of the director representation? Nvm found it, page 4 of thread.

Surprised Farhadi only has one entry. Most of his stuff gets 8.0 and higher on imdb, but then again they never got released in the US. About Elly deserves a spot.

Cosmozone

Can't complain too much I guess. There are so many opinions. I, too, would switch a lot around. Glad to see Spirited Away is so high on the list. The only film I watched multiple times at the cinema besides Fury Road. Mulholland Drive is also great. I should rewatch it one time. But there's way too many Pixar stuff there. Requiem should be higher because of the music alone.

BTW would be interesting to know what Toni Erdmann fans think about the list. Some of them were already pissed that it missed out at Cannes and now it will go for foreign film Oscar. I didn't watch it (3 hours, come on).

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I just watched Enternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and although it's a good movie I would never put it as #6.

Fun fact: I hated this movie so much I drank more than I ever drank before after watching.

Not that i don't appreciate the French sensibility of "It's not what is said, it's what isn't said", but man, it just wasn't for me.

Just couldn't connect to it in any meaningful way.
Main characters is kind of a weirdo (who gets suspicious videos and decides "lets not call the police, but let's show it to the guests we have over for some reason"?") and I'll be honest, if that's all it took for what goes down in the movie, they're more crazy than part of some intricate plot.
Haneke is German though (Austrian maybe?).

I like the list!

Cosmozone

Sad to see Whale Rider miss out (LOTR is not a huge shock due to the nature of this sort of list).
Oh, damn. Also really liked this one. I retroactively regretted missing it on the big screen.

@walking fiend. Yes, Haneke is Austrian. He's fluent in French, though.

Nafai1123

Banned
There's a few on there I don't like (Melancholia, Under the Skin) but pretty good list for the most part. Pretty hilarious seeing Spring Breakers higher up than stuff like the Pianist. Black Swan also deserves a spot IMO.

I just glanced through the list, and cherry picked within 2 minutes my top 10. While just off the cuff I do feel pretty good about it (Oldboy was hard to leave out).

1. Mulholland Dr.
2. There Will Be Blood
3. City of God
4. Inglourious Basterds
5. Pan's Labyrinth
6. Spirited Away
7. Mad Max: Fury Road
8. The Tree of Life
9. Children of Men
10. A History of Violence

Weird that a bastardized and jerry-rigged tv pilot is voted the best film.

Given the tone of the first part of the film the TV pilot style works perfect. It just makes everything feel just a little off until...

Also count me as one of the the pro Spring Breakers. Everyone I know hates it, but I loved just how absurd it was which to me was the point. Good chance it would make my top 25.

Top Bottom