• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

your favorite racing games by year (2002-2022)

Hudo

Re-Volt, Burnout 3 and Motostorm: Pacific Rift are still my racing game "trinity". And yes, I know that they are all arcade racers. Actually Re-Volt is a Mario Kart clone...but the best one.

For more serious racing, I still like to play the first Grid and Project Gotham Racing 4 and Rallisport Challenge 2.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Re-Volt, Burnout 3 and Motostorm: Pacific Rift are still my racing game "trinity". And yes, I know that they are all arcade racers. Actually Re-Volt is a Mario Kart clone...but the best one.

For more serious racing, I still like to play the first Grid and Project Gotham Racing 4 and Rallisport Challenge 2.
You know i'm something of a Re-Volt fan myself. But i don't play it with powerups on, the physics are the most defining thing about the game for me. Perfect/near flawless driving is encouraged since it's so easy to spin out and lose your control.... especially when controlling such tiny karts.

Goalus

2002: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2
2006: Out Run 2006 Coast 2 Coast
2012: Forza Horizon
2014: Forza Horizon 2
2016: Forza Horizon 3
2018: Forza Horizon 4

Unknown?

Yeah. 3 was a disappointment compared to 2 to me. 2 was just way better and 3 traded cars and tracks for eye candy. 4 redeemed it though and surpassed 2 but 6 had track creators and 7 has the best online racing on console(well Sport started that but Sport wasn't as good). The only thing that sucks about 7 is it's way too easy to get good cars from the start.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No Way Cat GIF
No Way Meme GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
2 was just way better and 3 traded cars and tracks for eye candy.
for eye candy, and better more accurate handling, and less HP restrictions on events, 60fps, a faster, more snappy campaign overall. Yeah i'm fine with the lower number of cars and tracks, here. Not like it was an issue when Sport did the exact same thing for its car and track list as well. The only issue are the dumb roulettes after completing events.

stn

Ain't nobody got time to find the year each game released, but I would put the following in there:

NFS Underground 2
NFS Most Wanted (2005)
Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition
Midnight Club: LA
Burnout Takedown
Burnout Revenge
Forza Motorsport
Sonic Racing Transformed

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why you cutting off the Dreamcast, biatch?! Well, Daytona USA released in Australia in 2002 so there. It might not be the best version of Daytona (though it gets an undeservedly bad rap much like other Dreamcast iterations of games like Virtua Fighter 3tb) but it shits on everything else in here. FU!

Last edited:

IAmRei

I cant recall the years, but here is my list:

Mario kart 8
Gran turismo 4
Ridge Racer portable 1
Choro Q ps2
Need for speed undercover
Need for speed the run

That's my fave racing games

Also Modnation on psp is my fave back then, unfortunately there is no sequel as far as i know

marcincz

Haven't played racing games in each year from thread, but I'll try:

2004 - Gran Turismo 4
2005 - WipEout Pure
2006 - Test Drive Unlimited
2007 - WipEout Pulse
2008 - Burnout Paradise
2010 - Gran Turismo 5
2012 - Forza Horizon
2013 - Gran Turismo 6
2014 - Driveclub
2016 - Forza Horizon 3