• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans 2015 |OT| Nissan enter the fray

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalin80

Banned
Yeah that's an odd one. Despite so many different ways of making sure everyone gets the same info you still get mixed signals and confusion.

I really DO NOT like it at the end of LeMans on EuroSport, the race finishes after 24 hours & as soon as it finishes that's it, the coverage is over!

It has been broadcast live for the previous 24 hours, after a 90min F1 race the channels spend at least a hour yapping abut what has gone on in the race.

At least Europe had consistent coverage for the entire 24. The American FOX Sports experience is changing channels every other hour and getting preempted by Uzbekistan vs. Senegal soccer games.

dubc35

Including the 6h WEC races there are quite a few endurance races every year and who knows with increasing popularity that may increase.

Just to note I don't include the Dubai 24 as an actual race as the teams are given a laptime that they cant go faster then which is... so very retarded.

wtf?

dalin80

Banned

In order to artificially tighten racing the cars are given a target lap they can't exceed but in the spirit of racing they are given 10 joker laps where they can go faster without penalty. It produces a race of the cars cruising around and everyone just waiting for them to use the fast laps.

The organisers claim that with traffic the cars would struggle to break those times anyway but in reality the drivers often complain about having to slow down deliberately in order to not waste a joker at the wrong time.

re: nissan, they can't throw in the towel at this point, with all the promotion, ads and PR they have done simply ditching the car isn't possible. It *has* to have working rear wheel hybrid at the next race, even if it's only base 2mj, their car was just fast enough on the lemans straights to only lose ~20s a lap around any other twisty track being FF only will see them behind the GT field....again.

Shaneus

In order to artificially tighten racing the cars are given a target lap they can't exceed but in the spirit of racing they are given 10 joker laps where they can go faster without penalty. It produces a race of the cars cruising around and everyone just waiting for them to use the fast laps.

The organisers claim that with traffic the cars would struggle to break those times anyway but in reality the drivers often complain about having to slow down deliberately in order to not waste a joker at the wrong time.

re: nissan, they can't throw in the towel at this point, with all the promotion, ads and PR they have done simply ditching the car isn't possible. It *has* to have working rear wheel hybrid at the next race, even if it's only base 2mj, their car was just fast enough on the lemans straights to only lose ~20s a lap around any other twisty track being FF only will see them behind the GT field....again.
That's... fucked.

I bet we see it in F1 next year.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Some fantastic imagery there. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding future entrants; Mazda have recently expressed an interest in returning to the top class of endurance racing. Nothing more than that at the moment, but it's a story to keep an eye on.

Seanspeed

Banned
The external sound every time I've gone to a race is not a traditional race car sound to me. Yeah, it sounds good, but the 458 always sounded much different than the others in the field. No video has done it justice, either.
So your idea of a traditional race car is one that sounds like it ate Taco Bell a few hours ago?

No such thing as a 'traditional' race car. Obviously we all have our own tastes. If you like that gurgly, 'spending time in the bathroom' sound, that's all good, but I happen to think there's a reason people think differently about it.

DD

Nissan confirmed that they will not put the GTR-LM on the track on the next race, at Nurburgring. They'll go back to private testing to make things work. They also said that they are not giving up.

No surprises there.

Maybe it's too early to write them off but so far their design seems like a dud. Common sense told me it wouldn't work. I'm not holding my breath for them.

I hope the Mazda rumors turn out to be true.

Jezbollah

Great news for both Porsche and Toyota. I was expecting that move by Toyota as they were clearly third best of the LMP1 cars. Porsche staying is outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom