• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ability to See the World at a Higher 'Frame Rate' Could Give Some Gamers an Edge, study

LordOfChaos

Some lucky humans are capable of seeing the world at a higher "frame rate" than others, according to the results of a new study. The authors believe that the trait could even give those people an edge when it comes to competitive gaming and sports, though further research is needed to prove it.

The human eye is a miraculous organ that allows us to perceive the universe by converting light into electrical signals using cells known as photoreceptors, which are then transmitted through the optic nerve to a region of the brain known as the visual cortex, where an image is formed. The frequency at which this process occurs during each waking second is known as temporal resolution.

According to the results of a new study published in the journal PLOS ONE, some people see the world around us at a higher temporal resolution when compared to other humans. Whatsmore, the researchers believe that this ability to form more images per second could give these individuals an edge in competitive gaming, and other high-speed activities.

"Because we only have access to our own subjective experience, we might naively expect that everyone else perceives the world in the same way we do," said Trinity College Dublin associate professor in developmental neurobiology Kevin Mitchell, who co-authored the paper.

"Examples like colour blindness show that isn't always true, but there are many less well known ways that perception can vary too," continued Mitchell. "This study characterises one such difference – in the 'frame rate' of our visual systems. Some people really do seem to see the world faster than others."

53a87e1387a9f.jpeg

mansoor1980

Gold Member
According to the results of a new study published in the journal PLOS ONE, some people see the world around us at a higher temporal resolution when compared to other humans. Whatsmore, the researchers believe that this ability to form more images per second could give these individuals an edge in competitive gaming, and other high-speed activities.

lKoE0M.gif

Fredrik

This solves so much.
I’ve always thought those who were okay with 30fps and thought 40fps looked almost as smooth as 60fps were fanboys. But maybe they actually for real can’t see how bad everything looks? Good for them I guess.

In the 30fps vs 60 fps discussion, some people fail to realize that there is a difference between seeing more frames and feeling the difference in responsiveness in gameplay. One is just using one sense and the other is a combination in eye, brain and hand coordination.

This solves so much.
I’ve always thought those who were okay with 30fps and thought 40fps looked almost as smooth as 60fps were fanboys. But maybe they actually for real can’t see how bad everything looks? Good for them I guess.
This. I've tried 40fps modes, as well as unlocked 40fps modes, on my VRR enabled LG C1 and I cannot figure out how people find them acceptable when compared to 60fps or near 60fps. More frames look smoother and feels more responsive. Always has and always will.

Fredrik

This. I've tried 40fps modes, as well as unlocked 40fps modes, on my VRR enabled LG C1 and I cannot figure out how people find them acceptable when compared to 60fps or near 60fps. More frames look smoother and feels more responsive. Always has and always will.
The responsiveness has never been a problem for me, I just don’t like the stutter. Even 60 has stutter if you move the camera sideways. Worst thing is low framerate with motion blur, then all I see is stutter and every frame blurred. 😕

I always considered that there must be aliens out there that would see our flickering lights (which we perceive as continuous) and hurl. Looks like I'm right, innit?

Anyway, kind of an interesting little study... not sure it will necessarily correlate with gaming/sports performance... could just be that this is a black-to-white sort of thing whereas it's really all about the gray-to-gray (metaphorically).

I wrote this recently:

I actually envy those who play at 30 FPS and can't see - or more importantly - *feel* the difference, it's night and day, Performance Mode forever and always, period.

So it seems I was right, some people literally cannot see the difference because if you did you'd never voluntarily choose Fidelity mode when given the choice lol

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I understand been somewhat "acceptable" or better than 30 fps ... now saying is close to 60 fps, or worse, that you cant see the difference to 60 fps? ... now thats reaching and copium.

thief183

I noticed that I start to notice a dip around 55 FPS, under that is a set show for me, from 60 to 100 there is no difference to my eyes but I can notice a huge improvements from 100 to 120, after that only if I'm playing otherwise 120+ is ininfluent.

It doesn't solve the problem of people playing a game designed to be played at 60fps at 180fps and moaning about input lag.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Iv always thought that someone's perception or time could be different to others based on how fast they process things. Sadly as a dyspraxic my neurons don't let my fine motor controls work the way I want them, so if I have this its no advantage for me.

On the flipside beside being in my mid 30's I can still hear high pitches... which means whenever anyone has those anti cat or insect devices on I can fucking hear them from miles away, and it drives me nuts. Like a High pitched constant shriek that fades in and out. My neighbour thought I was joking until I came round every time they switched there's back on like clockwork, and I pointed out their baby would likely be able to hear them as well, they took em out soon after.

Last edited:
The number of games this matters in is pretty small. Count out literally all single player games. And some multiplayer games like Monster Hunter where it’s co-operative.

Portugeezer

Film being 24fps must mean that it was chosen because anything above 24fps is indistinguishable.

No other possible explanation.

I see thet too, but thats an issue with the car's electrical system/led itself.
Yes and no.

See it yourself in reallife? You are right
See it only on camera? Camera refreshes slower then the LED flicker.

LEDs always flicker, but shouldnt be visible without an optic tool like a camera. :)

Last edited:
Iv always thought that someone's perception or time could be different to others based on how fast they process things. Sadly as a dyspraxic my neurons don't let my fine motor controls work the way I want them, so if I have this its no advantage for me.

On the flipside beside being in my mid 30's I can still hear high pitches... which means whenever anyone has those anti cat or insect devices on I can fucking hear them from miles away, and it drives me nuts. Like a High pitched constant shriek that fades in and out. My neighbour thought I was joking until I came round every time they switched there's back on like clockwork, and I pointed out their baby would likely be able to hear them as well, they took em out soon after.
I have severe Tinnitus in my right ear and I also hear those damn things.

When these combine, it's driving me mad.

I know when I lost an eye back in 1991, shmups became a whole lot more difficult for me. I'm unable to track all the action on the screen as efficiently as before. My hardcore gaming days ended with the loss of that eye.
Even with an adjusted FOV? Do you still perceive depth?

intbal

Some humans lack the ability to see the difference between aesthetically pleasing and butt-ugly.
Fortunately, those people have their own dedicated gaming forum.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
We don't see in framerates and if we did, it would be dynamic.

LordOfChaos

I've always run in performance mode. You guys haven't?

I don't get how people don't consider higher frame rate to be a graphical feature itself. It adds so much to the motion resolution, what good is 30 with more details when all those details blur to a paste in motion?

I'd always prefer a game target 60 first, then add as much graphically as they can to that

Last edited:

StereoVsn

40 FPS does significantly reduce latency vs 30 FPS based on how the frames are processed.

I can’t take 30FPS in action games on OLED but Spider-Man with 40FPS is at least tolerable.

Mossybrew

So it seems I was right, some people literally cannot see the difference because if you did you'd never voluntarily choose Fidelity mode when given the choice lol
Nah, not necessarily true. I can certainly see the difference between 30 and 60 - it's just that I'm usually fine with 30, so I'd rather take enhanced visuals.

rm082e

I wonder if the screen you're playing on has something to do with how good 40fps looks?

I have a Steam Deck, and that idea of "40 looks almost as good as 60" is a bit hyperbolic, but I would certainly agree that 40fps on that screen looks closer to 60 than 30 when you're playing a game. I personally set my refresh to 45hz and it feels 98% as good at 60, while saving battery life. That is not the case when I play games on my PC using a 32" monitor.

I suspect if I were playing on a big OLED TV, there would be a bigger difference in feel between 45 and 60. I think it may be specific to the Steam Deck screen.

SoloCamo

I can notice the flickering in some LEDS, really obnoxious with certain cars.

Cadillac vehicles absolutely kill me at night. Also when I was younger during an eye exam I was told I could see things in motion most people didn't pick up. Even when I didn't know better on a CRT I used to change it to 75hz from 60hz and it just was such a better gaming experience and I had no clue why. Makes sense in hindsight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom