• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ability to See the World at a Higher 'Frame Rate' Could Give Some Gamers an Edge, study

dave_d

Given this is it too much to ask for an LCD that updates at a similar rate that a CRT does? That would be about 300,000hz, it's all I'm asking for.

Rayderism

Even with an adjusted FOV? Do you still perceive depth?
It takes 2 eyes to truly perceive depth. So things like VR glasses are useless to me for anything other than maybe the head tracking, the stereoscopic 3D effect just isn't there. It took me over a year to "adjust" to a lack of depth perception. A person's brain will sort of re-wire itself to develop a sort of pseudo depth perception, not to mention coming up with ways to attempt to judge distance (moving my head side to side, paying attention to shadows, tactile feedback, etc.) but I will always be susceptible to weird depth related optical illusions where things can appear either further away or closer than they actually are.

As for playing video games on a normal TV screen, 3 dimensional depth is faked to begin with, so yeah, it still "looks" 3D to me. But with only one eye, my periphery is reduced (50% less visual input to the brain), so it's harder to track things like multiple bullets all over the screen, like in a shmup. Most gaming related stuff isn't really all that affected, or at least I don't notice it as much, it's just that shmups used to be one of my favorite genres, so it's the one where I noticed the most immediate skill loss.

As for the topic of framerate.....I do see the difference between 30 and 60fps, but I've always been able to tolerate lower framerates without a problem, even when I had both eyes. To the point of higher framerates giving some gamers an edge.....I figure that comes down to the type/genre of game, personal preferences and tolerance levels of each individual gamer.

nkarafo

So wait a second... Those who say "human eye can't see more than 30fps" and "i can't see the difference between 30 and 60" were honest? Not simply lying or being ignorant?

Lies No GIF

Top Bottom