• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Behemoth's Next Game" screens (from creators of Alien Hominid)

Azrael

Add me to the unimpressed with Alien Hominid crowd as well. Great art is not a substitute for polished game design. The game was riddled with cheap deaths, so the game throws so many bonus lives at you that there's little to no penalty for dying. The game is essentially unmasterable, unlike great tough-but-fair shooters like Metal Slug 3, and there is no sense of accomplishment from improving your score or making progress. Add to that the UFO sections controlled terribly and really needed a Robotron style control setup, and the boss patterns until the very final levels were extremely basic. But like I said, the art was great, and the Pitfall style minigame was pretty cool as well.

thorns

Banned
It was their FIRST game. Give the guys a break. Very few people get things the right the first time. They had a very small budget and probably very very few testers..

No wonder there are no more good 2d games coming out..

Hopefully the scenario won't go like this..

Elitist gamers: We want more 2D and original games!1
* a new developer releases an original 2d game called X
Elitist gamers nitpick on X saying, this aspects sucks , that aspect sucks, the game sucks etc.
* A game which wouldn't normally sell much sells even less.. the developer cancels future projects.
Elitist gamers: Waah noone releases any new and original 2d games anymore blah blah..

jarrod

Banned
Well, whatever the case... I hope this new game's multiplatform. It looks like it's using the same engine anyway, which is already in place for GC/PS2/Xbox. Maybe we'll even get a GBA port.

Azrael

It was their FIRST game. Give the guys a break. Very few people get things the right the first time.

No wonder there are no more good 2d games coming out..

Hopefully the scenario won't go like this..

Elitist gamers: We want more 2D and original games!1
* a new developer releases an original 2d game called X
Elitist gamers nitpick on X saying, this aspects sucks , that aspect sucks, the game sucks etc.
* A game which wouldn't normally sell much sells even less.. the developer cancels future projects.
Elitist gamers: Waah noone releases any new and original 2d games anymore blah blah..

2D games will have a revival once small developers abandon the find publisher/ship game to retail model that is ubiquitious for the game industry. When games like Alien Hominid aren't hidden away in the back corner of EB for $29 (if the EB even carries it at all), but are available for download to HDD or flash memory for $10 from an iTunes like service for gaming, more people will buy them.

In the meantime, I'm not going to praise mediocre niche titles just because the genre needs my support.

thorns

Banned
Azrael said:
2D games will have a revival once small developers abandon the find publisher/ship game to retail model that is ubiquitious for the game industry. When games like Alien Hominid aren't hidden away in the back corner of EB for $29 (if the EB even carries it at all), but are available for download to HDD or flash memory for $10 from an iTunes like service for gaming, more people will buy them..

xbox live arcade ;)

monchi-kun said:
if this sucker makes it to retail on PSP then i'll take a 2 month ban from GAF

translation

Hur Hur GAF Hur Dirka Dirka Hur
---------------

On another note my local Fry's is selling a shitload of import PSP games.....probably to offset the lack of titles being released on the platform

I'm still waiting for you to shut the fuck up, dumb.

sarusama

thorns said:

Oh I appreciated their game very much. But one thing that I've come to loath is seeing the huge potential and the actual result. For example when I hear about PN03, about the dancing & shooting, and saw the first few trailers... you can't imagine how excited I was. It was like the perfect action game: dance through hordes of enemies spreading mayhem & destruction as you go. What did they end up doing... Bleh!

All my critique is just because I want their next game to be perfect. Cause I want 2D to continue living. In fact I'm very compelled to write them some feedback... maybe we should put up a thread to compile all the feedback in a positive way with some "recommendations" (not in the sense that we'd be telling them how to make their game, but just examples of what we would have appreciated more, e.g. down+jump to roll). Whadaya think?

hiryu

Looks great and in the article it says the demo is running on a gamecube so I'm pretty sure it's at least coming out for that.

jarrod

Banned
hiryu said:
Looks great and in the article it says the demo is running on a gamecube so I'm pretty sure it's at least coming out for that.
Yeah, the Behemoth guys are pretty big Nintendo fans. I'm expect at least GC+PS2, and maybe even Xbox, PSP and/or GBA. I dunno if Alien Hominid GBA is being done inhouse or not though.

I'd really like to see them try their hand at an original DS game though.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
1up said:
While the demo was running on GameCube at Comic-con, there is no confirmed platform, release date, or publisher at this point. Fulp estimates that the game may ship roughly a year from now, and given its early state, he notes, "It probably won't be seen for a while after Comic-con."
I'm glad it's coming to GC, but Alien Homind is freakin hard. Harder than the first Viewtiful Joe even. Hopefully they'll include an easier difficulty setting. Either way, I'm glad The Behemoth has found their niche among the competition.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'm glad that Alien Hominid did well enough for them to bring this out. I've been a fan of these guys for years and I will be purchasing the GC version of this game on day one. I also wouldn't mind an Alien Hominid 2.

Top Bottom