• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Current Best Selling VR Games Of All Time Thread [Updated]

That isn't an official list, just what someone could cobble together. Alyx had sold 680k before the launch of Quest 2 from links I could find so is almost definitely over a million by now.

Depends on what you mean by sales because I doubt Alyx has sold even half of that.

Alyx given away with Index, to people who only brought the index controllers to use with something else, and with a partnership with HTC with Vive.

I'm sure there were some actual purchases too, but I doubt since the first several months from release Alyx has been selling anything more than Xbox One in Japan mid-gen numbers per week. There's a liited amount of PCVR users and even less who use Steam VR.

It wasn’t Half-Life 3. No surprise for me. I doubt Horizon Call of the Mountain will get the motor running for PSVR2 for the same reason. What people want is the real deal, no side crap. A full scale big budget Half-Life 3 which is highly anticipated by the whole industry would be the perfect test to see if VR will ever fly.

To be fair it was going to be Half-Life 3, and then they decided to change course to jump on the VR train.

How about making a AAAA Half life 3 exclusively for VR instead to kickstart the VR industry?

Would only even have a chance if it was a multiplatform games.

$300 is a stretch IMO.

Kinect and Move were around $100-150 worth of parts and sales topped out. I know VR is a different kind of experience, but game wise not that much different as they are mostly demo/indie quality games for $20 or $30.

If good sleek VR sets can come out for $100, sales will zoom up the charts but only so much.

Interesting point, Samsung sold like 7 million Gear VR's before Oculus pulled the plug on support to go walled garden having headsets cost between $99-$160 depending on compatibility lists and specs/storage. They were getting better overtime as well.

Problem is, before the Quest 1 launched in 2020, we had too many headsets basically producing the same thing, with similar software and giving consumers similar experiences which the fad crashed after a few years outside of Samsung with a rapidly declining userbase, and then the Quest 1 came out, showed there was still novelty to take advantage of, and then the Quest 2 came out with standalone, full wireless, and features and experience that was a leap from mobile VR, despite the content still being close to mobile VR, which most of the VR industry was still imitating the content of with few exceptions even if you went heavy duty PCVR.

A new headset would have to cost no more than $200 with that plan to work this late and because of how slow things have been going, consumers are expecting a good gap from the current headsets (psvr2 just launching excluded) otherwise the price won't matter. I can't see you providing that jump with $200 or less.

I can only see that price being possible with a new generation of MobileVR headsets compatible with the current crop of powerful smartphones. Where phones not lower than upper mid-rage could have the specs to produce better experiences. Problem is, everyone got burned on that before and the games would have to be going deeper than Angry Birds in VR, or half the tech demos we are STILL getting in 2023 that people already played some variation of in 2016.

Jesus, easy to see why most VR games are 3 hour demo type experiences. Hard to imagine a company spending a huge budget on a full length AAA game that will only sell a million or so.

Seems like a hybrid style where VR is an option is the way forward.

Hybrid style doesn't give much reason for consumers to jump on VR though, and gives less reason for devs to push the medium directly.

A hybrid game is complementary but it can't be the main selling point of the headsets.

If these games are VR's best sellers, yikes.

By the looks of it, if it wasnt for Beat Saber, VR gaming wouldnt even exist.

Technically, you could apply that across the Quest 2 Headset, since some games got their crossing sales from releasing on that, and the best Quest 2 could do with who knows, 20 million shipped is probably by now in 2023, 5 or so million Beat Sabers. Best selling VR game despite since 2015 over ~35 million different VR headsets being sold.

Amiga

Lol.

Which all 3 of those games sold more than 2 million, and 2 million was not considered great it was considered good, and made sense for the time. VR proper restarted in 2015, it's now 2023, and this is the result in getting closer to ten years, with during the time over 30-35 million headsets sold. These numbers are terrifying.

- even 500k is good if the budget fits the expected sales. A badly produced game can sell 5+ million and still flop for a publisher.
- 30-35 million headsets but split platforms. games available on several platforms like Beat Saber and Super Hot sold the best. they seem like low budget games so the profit would be good. Moss and Walking Dead sold enough to get sequels. RE8 got a VR expansion because RE7 was good for Capcom. That means VR can already bring success.

Buggy Loop

Going by the stats, only about 700 people play concurrent at any given time now, and the average play time per owner is only 11 minutes. The median time played is just under 8 minutes. In the last two weeks, the average play time per user is less than one minute.

By the looks of it, either HL Alyx is a super short demo, or it's a game with some decent game length, but most players bail after only 11 minutes.

Most gamers would spend more time fiddling with editing lines and GM options playing a FIFA game for the first time.

Have you had time to look for time formats since last night? I.e roughly 24 mins ago if we go with your format.

That’s a sad list for sure, but not unexpected

A bit surprised not to see Half-Life: Alyx on there though. They really should make a non-VR version of that game so people can actually play it.
they never gave sales numbers. As said above, Steamspy has it between 2-5m. It sold massive amounts of headsets when it was announced.

- even 500k is good if the budget fits the expected sales. A badly produced game can sell 5+ million and still flop for a publisher.

No it's not you can't ignore the software sales compared to the amount of hardware that has been sold when it comes to determining if an industry is healthy. You can't omit stiff an look at sales in a vacuum. Also VR is a different market from traditional gaming so a 1:1 comparison doesn't make sense when talking about games and publishers.

- 30-35 million headsets but split platforms. games available on several platforms like Beat Saber and Super Hot sold the best.

Beat Saber would still be leading just on Quest 2, you are oversimplifying the issue. 30-35 million headsets with the top games mostly owing their sales to one platform means that games are basically not selling anywhere else, and aren't very high on the one platform that is.

Even back when Quest 2 announced over 15 million sold, which may be around 20 now, the best game won't have sold 5 million on the best selling VR platform.

What were those 15 million buying excluding the business and productivity users? Probably a few random games got bored and left. Hence the poor retention rate for the Quest 2 as was linked elsewhere.

RE8 got a VR expansion because RE7 was good for Capcom. That means VR can already bring success.

Or is it because Capcom was given an incentive? We don't know, this is speculative.

Moss and Walking Dead sold enough to get sequels.

Or they may have been funded, or given an incentive to do so. Thing is based on how low sales have been and how long and how early some of the games on this list crossed 1 million units (not walking dead VR which didn't) the consumers may not be there for Moss 2 to sell another 1 million.

Software sales have been dropping, so to see Moss 2 do as well or better there would have to be renewed interest in VR for enough consumers to jump back in to accomplish that goal. Maybe one of the many headsets releasing this year will do it, although I think Moss 2 has a deal with Sony in part, so that may prevent it from releasing on other headsets platforms.

they never gave sales numbers. As said above, Steamspy has it between 2-5m. It sold massive amounts of headsets when it was announced.

No it didn't. Where are you getting Alyx sold a "massive amount" of headsets?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Depends on what you mean by sales because I doubt Alyx has sold even half of that.

Alyx given away with Index, to people who only brought the index controllers to use with something else, and with a partnership with HTC with Vive.

I'm sure there were some actual purchases too, but I doubt since the first several months from release Alyx has been selling anything more than Xbox One in Japan mid-gen numbers per week. There's a liited amount of PCVR users and even less who use Steam VR.
And I think there is a good chance that they have sold a lot more than a million if you include pack-ins. I am sure that most PC Quest 2 users have picked it up. But neither of us know.
You are just making up numbers - more than half your list is figures from before or just after Quest 2 launched.

Amiga

No it's not you can't ignore the software sales compared to the amount of hardware that has been sold when it comes to determining if an industry is healthy.

It's a new industry that is still developing. Nobody is betting the farm(other than Meta:messenger_beaming:). Expectations are for steady growth. Developers are learning, tech is improving.
I think PSVR2 will be like the N64/PS1 in how they established the conventions of 3D games. I expect some games like RE1/MGS1/FF7.

And I think there is a good chance that they have sold a lot more than a million if you include pack-ins. I am sure that most PC Quest 2 users have picked it up. But neither of us know.
You are just making up numbers - more than half your list is figures from before or just after Quest 2 launched.

I didn't make up any number. I said that Alyx had free promotions and I doubt it actually sold 1 million "direct" sales, if Alyx has sold over 1 million, or estimated 2 million as said here in this source, https://uploadvr.com/half-life-alyx-2-million/

Being given away through 3 different avenues, especially closer to launch where sales were stronger and the game was newer with glowing reviews, would probably be a big contributor to that, which means those sales wouldn't earn money, which also means they wouldn't be an indicator of a healthy VR industry

To really see what Alyx can do with sales, Valve needs to make it multiplat. But Valve at least so far doesn't seem interested in doing so at this time. There are rumors Valve is talking with Sony if true we will see if something comes out of it.

It's a new industry that is still developing. Nobody is betting the farm(other than Meta:messenger_beaming:).

It's been ~7 years, 10 if we include the proto-headsets. I Don't know one could still say its still developing outside of Hardware. Software has mostly stayed similar even across numerous headsets during this time with a few exceptions.

As for betting the farm, Zucker isn't the only one losing money.

I think PSVR2 will be like the N64/PS1 in how they established the conventions of 3D games. I expect some games like RE1/MGS1/FF7.

The first problem with this is conventions weren't really established on those consoles for 3D games because 3D games already had conventions established years before. It was just early console 3D specifically. Although there are exceptions like Tomb Raider that crossed both boundaries.

As for seeing games a software quality jump akin to RE1/MGS1/FF7 is incredibly optimistic. To do that would take much more effort, dev team resources, and monetary investment than what VR has been having so far. Something that's hard to do with software isn't selling well or hardware (that's not losing money).

It's a cycle of devs not wanting to risk losing too much to gamble on if doing so will move hardware. VR has been trapped in that cycle for some time.

That's why this year is important, we have two headsets launching this month, and several more through the year, and to move headsets they will NEED software, so what I'm hoping is that we see some high initial investment with some of these headsets with their software, and at least one or two of them sells well enough that we keep seeing more AAA development. And even AA development because that's not much of that either currently o be honest.

Whether that's Sony, Samsung, Apple, TCL, Pancake, Arpara, Zank, DPVR, QIYU, HTC etc, doesn't matter as long as someone manages to do it.

If that doesn't happen than the trouble starts That's why imo, this is a make or break year for this generation of VR.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

It's a new industry that is still developing. Nobody is betting the farm(other than Meta:messenger_beaming:). Expectations are for steady growth. Developers are learning, tech is improving.

I think it's closer to the Atari, personally. We're at the absolute start of the sigmoid curve on VR integration. It's still a nascent, clunky, over-expensive, overly-fiddly technology, with only a small fraction of the population who are interested in it.

We've got at least another couple of generations to get through before it hits the mainstream. Not least because right now, we're nowhere near being able to miniaturise the technology that has to go into it.

When we can play stand alone, wireless, full length VR games with the graphical quality of the highest end PC, on a device this size:

CCOqL7g.jpg

...then it'll be selling the kinds of numbers you get with the Playstation, Xbox or Switch.

brian0057

Banned
The PS Vita and Kinect sold more units in terms of both software and hardware than every VR device ever has combined.
Sony and Microsoft still killed them. In the case of the former, they killed the entire portable brand.

I'm 100% convinced that VR development is a front for laundering money.

Last edited:

Amiga

When we can play stand alone, wireless, full length VR games with the graphical quality of the highest end PC, on a device this size:

CCOqL7g.jpg

...then it'll be selling the kinds of numbers you get with the Playstation, Xbox or Switch.

This is iPhone level. Tech doesn't have to go that far yet for VR to be financially viable. Gaming is a specialized market that can handle more sophisticated stuff than mainstream. VR can grow a niche market with a healthy development community that lays the ground for a bigger evolution.

Freeman76

I’m just saying there isn’t a real good example of a lucrative market for developers to take advantage of.
This is the main factor, no matter how many know it alls write walls of text spitting facts and figures from their anus, if the market isnt lucrative enough people wont be as enticed to enter it.

No it's not you can't ignore the software sales compared to the amount of hardware that has been sold when it comes to determining if an industry is healthy. You can't omit stiff an look at sales in a vacuum. Also VR is a different market from traditional gaming so a 1:1 comparison doesn't make sense when talking about games and publishers.

Beat Saber would still be leading just on Quest 2, you are oversimplifying the issue. 30-35 million headsets with the top games mostly owing their sales to one platform means that games are basically not selling anywhere else, and aren't very high on the one platform that is.

Even back when Quest 2 announced over 15 million sold, which may be around 20 now, the best game won't have sold 5 million on the best selling VR platform.

What were those 15 million buying excluding the business and productivity users? Probably a few random games got bored and left. Hence the poor retention rate for the Quest 2 as was linked elsewhere.

Or is it because Capcom was given an incentive? We don't know, this is speculative.

Or they may have been funded, or given an incentive to do so. Thing is based on how low sales have been and how long and how early some of the games on this list crossed 1 million units (not walking dead VR which didn't) the consumers may not be there for Moss 2 to sell another 1 million.

Software sales have been dropping, so to see Moss 2 do as well or better there would have to be renewed interest in VR for enough consumers to jump back in to accomplish that goal. Maybe one of the many headsets releasing this year will do it, although I think Moss 2 has a deal with Sony in part, so that may prevent it from releasing on other headsets platforms.

No it didn't. Where are you getting Alyx sold a "massive amount" of headsets?
Valve sold half a million headsets the week it was announced.
You keep pretending though.

The PS Vita and Kinect sold more units in terms of both software and hardware than every VR device ever has combined.
Sony and Microsoft still killed them. In the case of the former, they killed the entire portable brand.

Well, then, you’re a fool who doesn’t actually understand what money laundering means or involves.

And kinect sold almost nothing. The only units out there were pack ins. Nobody wanted that shit. It’s the worst gaming device I’ve ever owned. Nobody purchased it, they purchased bundles that had it.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Well, then, you’re a fool who doesn’t actually understand what money laundering means or involves.

And kinect sold almost nothing. The only units out there were pack ins. Nobody wanted that shit. It’s the worst gaming device I’ve ever owned. Nobody purchased it, they purchased bundles that had it.
sbEM7Os.png

Valve sold half a million headsets the week it was announced.
You keep pretending though.

Lol?

Index sold 46K in 2019 before HL, after Half-Life Alyx was announced it sold 103k the rest of the year. For 149k for 2019, https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...more-than-doubled-amid-half-life-alyx-reveal/

Valve still limited production likely for profit after that, even later when the game actually came out, and in 2020 Q4, the biggest quarter of the year, Quest 2 sold 1.4 million which was the non-mobileVR record, PSVR1 which was considered on it's death bed was 125k, and Index sold 61k, slightly above the 55k of the Rift headsets that has already been marked dead for awhile,
https://gamingbolt.com/oculus-quest...00 units,coming exclusively to Oculus devices.

The likely hood of the Index being over 500k is practically zero. Since Q4 2020 Index on SteamVR headset charts has mostly been dropping, and only gained when older headsets fell off or had their percentages drop because they were dead, replaced, or no longer used. On those charts HTC is usually (overall) 3rd with their headsets which barely sell much at all. I'm not sure of that new HTC elite headsets going to do much either as HTC hasn't changed their strategy at all. So while Index is still 2nd percentage wise the units are poor.

Since Q4 2020 Index units aren't even in the data drops anymore. Valve is likely fine with limited shipments to an enthusiast niche for profit. It's clear Valve never intended to really compete and throw money out to chance millions of headset sales.

mckmas8808

Banned
I looked it up and I don't think this is true. I'm seeing rumors say XR3 chip and guessing 2.5x more power. Saw 2.4tf mentioned. That is pretty good. A ps4 is 1.8 and this being much more modern arcitecture it should be way better. I'm optimistic.

Given that jump will be from some really basic graphics, then it will be a big improvement. The only problem then is having to support all those quest 2's that are still in use as stand alone systems.

I think questx is going to define the baseline for 95% of games and I'm okay with that. Right now, only sony or valve is in a position to subsidize aaa games. If a big hit is only going to to sell one million, that 2.4tf quest3 might be the appropriate power to let those smaller games have more headroom and they will be able to use better assets and effects. The for ps and pc they can scale that up with higher grade assets and settings and we'll at least be getting better looking games than we've seen the last several years.

Yes, you are correct with the 2.5x power jump. I should have been more clear that I was speaking more to the "difference" you'll actually see once a game is made for it, more than the raw numbers. Remember what games did for the PS4 -> PS4 Pro jump in VR? The same games looked a little better and they played better, but it didn't seem as if they'd be able to program totally different games on it. And that was a 2x jump from 1.8 TFs to 4.2TFs (or a 2.3x jump).

lukilladog

It's also like the corporate version of kickstarter over promised and under delivered tech frauds, sucking that investor money and pushing share prices. Horizon Call of the mountain must be the worst launch ever for a Sony franchise (in the morning there was 1 chanel and one viewer at Twitch lol), it's either the worst market reading ever for Sony, or just collateral for a hidden agenda.

The PS Vita and Kinect sold more units in terms of both software and hardware

Regarding hardware both together (360 and PS3 only) sold 24+15= 39 million.

Samsung Gear VR sold 7.8 million
PSVR1 sold over 5 million, let's say 5.5 million
Quest 2 sold over 15 million at least
Quest 1 around 1 million
Oculus Go 1 million
Oculus Rift (family) 1.5 million
HTC (family) 1.3 million

Total= 33.1 million

On paper that doesn't seem to bad, but you have to add that Move and Kinect sold a lot in a few years, whereas this number was from 2015-Feb 2023 across all these devices for VR to reach 33.1.

However with the many headsets releasing this year, I can see VR hardware passing 39 million by the end of the year. Only have to sell over 6 million and that may happen with Quest 3 by itself even without TCL, Samsung, pancakeXR, Apple etc, plus shipments of still on sell older headsets on top of that.

VR will sell more this year than last year just based on the amount of releases and marketing even if many of them turn out to be flops rather quickly. The question is by end of the year how many of these dozen plus headsets will still be in viable position for 2024.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
We don't have anything close to real numbers for most VR kits (hence only 2 links above and zero confirmed from anything close to official or known accurate sources). Also, some of them are successors that completely replaced old stuff rather than added to them, most of the games listed aren't even on older platforms like Go (yes ladies and gentlement, he includes 3DOF devices) used to pad these inaccurate numbers. Thank god we don't have guesses for cardboard VR I guess, otherwise they'd be included in the sum total as being the same platform as the Index and PSVR2, lol.

Practically, what you want to present as a negative here is actually a very good thing, how every consumer doesn't simply gravitate to only the best marketed games making a few of them successes and the rest left with nothing but instead all kinds of different games, many of them indie, have sold to a smaller portion of the install base spreading the numbers around. It'd be pretty sweet if that continued to be the case when VR has grown more as a subset of gaming (as gaming is what GAF deals with, obviously VR has been successful in all kinds of fields) but alas, the usual market forces will take hold when there's more money to be made as said forces have essentially yet to really push anything in VR in the same way to begin with, though we've seen small steps towards that here and there, and eclipse the smaller efforts fighting for visibility.

Oh well, it's nice to see your narrative changed from every-random-vr-headset-I-find-is-a-PSVR2-killer (seriously, the way you were posting about some of that stuff is like presenting Polystation and OUYA as legit console rivals that have a chance to dethrone any of the big ones, obviously nobody rational would do anything like that) to a somewhat more sensible all-of-VR-sucks-and-is-going-nowhere, as if just because Zuck or any random imbecile another imbecile quotes thinks that it should equal and thus replace all of gaming (and other activities as Zuck hardly cares for gaming) then that's the only metric of true success and it's not a success that I and other consumers, enough to make plenty VR games profitable, bought them as part of our software collection even if we also still buy flat games and even other entertainment products.

If you're gonna go all meh, that didn't sell as much as the biggest thing, then that would also apply to the vast majority of flat games but it's definitely a good thing that not every game is a COD clone or whatever sells the most and nobody (again, nobody rational) goes oh no, genre/style of game x or y doesn't even justify its existence with < COD sales, the best has only sold y or x and the rest not even close so nobody should bother making such, the way you go on about VR in general based on skewed (or rather based on intentionally skewing) "data" like this. Obviously I'm still a PC gamer even if I plug a VR kit in my PC, I'm not gonna magically stop buying anything other than VR games and the same goes for PS5 owners and the same goes for gamers that have multiple platforms Quest included, VR or not it's all just gaming and different games find success in the different niches rather than all attempting to rival the highest sellers only (which truth be told should be mobile gacha games rather than the COD or GTA stuff I keep mentioning, lol). Just like I bought some VR games over any flat games and vice versa, it's all just another game I choose.

Sure, if you can replicate COD's or GTA's success then you'd be crazy (or simply have a certain vision you want to develop) if you choose not to but that's not how shit works, I kind of doubt Gorilla Tag's initially solo developer who last reported making something like $25 million from his f2p VR game (which wasn't even approved for the main Quest store until last December) could do that and I don't think one can assume he could simply have another, equally viable to develop at the time idea, catch on with the flat gaming userbase and make 100 times as much instead or whatever is the argument against VR's existing/future potential this time either. Similarly, Beat Saber (among other high sellers, as if these are AAAA cinematic games that need to rival GTA) is not a big enough success for selling several million, having tons of ongoing DLC revenue and getting sold to Facebook for $2 billion in 2019, but Carnival Games selling similarly on the gigantic install base of the Wii is called a hit just to claim it should have sold more when it was brought to VR even though it's also been on many other platforms up to Switch/PS4/Xbone with no real success since, lol?
Eddie-Griffin said:
Space Pirate Trainer - 150k

Many of the games listed reached their sales goals over a period of time, meaning that their sales are pretty much done. Though more recent releases like Beat Saber are excluded from that having sold over 4 million as of 2021, so by now it may be over 5 million or more but Facebook is keeping quiet on that for now. It is currently the best selling game in VR.
It's nice to see more outdated numbers in the OP, like Space Pirate Trainer's early access sales by 2017 (the article linked is actually dated a couple months before the game's full launch in the same year) with VR itself in its roughly current form launching just a year before and of course no Quest port (or device) in sight, yet the OP notes warn the numbers listed were achieved over a long time even though they're so oudated and contrasted with the very latest and highest possible VR install base (even for games exclusive to certain segments like PSVR only) to diminish them.
Eddie-Griffin said:
If these numbers seem low, which they are, keep in min there was a VR version of minecraft, Wii hit Carnival games, and Myst in VR, among other games you would expect to have sold well and helped headset, but didn't, along with a few hybrid games.
You're calling Carnival Games a hit Wii game for its few million on Wii's ginormous install base, ignoring the last 15 years of the IP's nonexistent appeal on any platform just to claim it should sell better in VR in the same thread you put down indie games for selling similar numbers. You're wrong for Myst too, sure it's a classic and all its versions/remakes since 1993 have sold a lot collectively but the latest remake which wasn't made just for VR but also flat, Xbox, etc. and got the Quest port and VR support on PC hardly sold on any platform. No obvious bias looking to distort the data here 🤦‍♂️

Minecraft was only on Gear VR and the Rift store (the least popular, almost abandoned, PC store and a badly rated version). There are probably more users playing VR mods of the game than it sold on the mobile stuff nobody other than your sorry ass lumps in the same category as the PSVR2 🤦

Last edited:
Found more sales added to the OP.

Boneworks sold over 100k it's first week, no new numbers since. 150k for Space Pirate Trainer. Deisim, 30k.

Rec Room announced 2 million "unique" VR users.

On RE7, did more research and their user numbers are likely.

If these numbers seem low, which they are, keep in min there was a VR version of minecraft, Wii hit Carnival games, and Myst in VR, among other games you would expect to have sold well and helped headset, but didn't, along with a few hybrid games.

A game would need to be a shakeup and appealing to general audiences to beat and move more headsets than Beat Saber, that wasn't so huge itself. A GT7 and RE8 isn't going to cut it. Not are better versions of tenaclehigh or Star Wars. Those latter ones aren't going to appeal to more people as they are just with enhancements, they would need to change things up.

Last edited:

Alexios

On RE7, did more research and their user numbers are likely, i was mistaken that RE7 was a PSVR exclusive, it was timed exclusive and launched on Quest, so that makes more sense as to it's sales, it's likely that no PSVR1 game sold over 1 million units so this makes more sense.
Great research, good thing you went back for "more", RE7 is on the Oculus Quest, nice, what a powerful little device to get such a high caliber PS4 tier game. Are you just googling for words like RE7 VR, come up with PC gamers playing the PC version's VR mod with a Quest, don't even really read anything that doesn't suit your narrative and assume complete fabrications you then casually spew as facts or what? Your related link in the OP is clearly about RE4 VR on the Oculus Quest, not RE7 that you refer to. Not that the rest of your posts are any more accurate. Clearly you aren't interested in and are very ignorant about VR (that's ok, nobody expects you to know shit you don't care about) to not have heard about titles like RE4, why make all these threads and make up all these things you confidently spread while being amazingly wrong in every way one can ever be? Why not move on?

Last edited:

Alexios

I know you're being upset at...something right now instead of contributing to a thread about finding numbers, but from the link you didn't read,

So yeah, a pretty significant contributor to Capcoms reported RE7 VR users. Yep. Not really a narrative when it's factual it was doing well on the headset and would be a big contributor to the amount of total users, but please continue.
Are you serious? Again, that's the Quest exclusive RE4 VR and has nothing to do with anything regarding the PSVR exclusive RE7 VR functions and the amount of PSVR users on that. RE7 is not on Quest. There's a PC RE7 user mod you can play in VR with Quest or any VR set which Capcom don't track.

Does your brain not distinguish between 4 and 7 at the moment for some reason? So, no, you don't "know" shit about me or the topics you decide to make threads about. Evidently. 4 is not 7, these are different numbers and the quote you wanted to rub to my face contains zero instances of #7 🤦‍♂️

That's the third time, from your initial research to "more" research to doubling down instead of owning up to your ignorance and trying to make it about the one pointing out the obvious that you go on to completely miss just to throw some snide remark and continue spreading bs as fact, wtf, lol?

Edit: nice editing of your posts so you don't appear like a confrontational imbecile unwilling to double check his "research" and once again throw the blame on the one you want to call a troll for calling you out and correcting you even now that you've realized you fucked up and can't read, nice🤦‍♂️

Why are you telling me RE7 had decent performance as if I said otherwise? You're the one who was striving to debunk it because you didn't believe it so came to the conclusion it was only possible because it was on more platforms than you thought, when it actually wasn't, what's wrong with you?

Maybe focus on correcting your OP now since it still includes the RE7 bs you only removed in this part of the discussion trying to make me the bad guy talking to himself or something, sucks for you I had quoted your posts and how you doubled down on blatant bs above before you edited them:
Eddie-Griffin said:
There's one PSVR1 exclusive on here, Resident Evil 7 VR. Although while it's not clear what constitutes "users" in this case, Resident Evil 7 reached this milestone on PSVR1 in January 19th 2021. While we don't know if it's the best selling PSVR1 game compared to games like Beats Saber or other cross-platforms, I would say it's likely its at minimum second, and clearly the best selling exclusive. This may give us a preview of how Resident Evil Village may perform although things are different now compared to when RE7 VR first released in the VR market, so time will tell.

RE7 was actually on the quest as well, and it seems that contributed to its user count. We had some games sell well frontloaded like Space Pirate and Boneworks but then they crashed and burned. Rec Room uses "unique" users which may or may not translate to real sales, but it had an active presence for the time, but then players kind of stopped using it.
tl;dr all the million (or more) sellers you downplay are in fact displaying excellent performance and many of those with lower sales with your oudated numbers going by some early access releases and no later ports to other VR platforms do too considering they're tiny indie games, not AAAA bs.

Last edited:
Are you serious? Again, that's the Quest exclusive RE4 VR and has nothing to do with anything regarding the PSVR exclusive RE7

Ok small mix-up, but I don't know what the deal is here anyway, RE7 still did well, sure Capcom didn't specify what counts as users, but 1.17 million is still a good number for a PSVR1 title. I don't get the need to downplay the RE7 numbers which other stuff aside, is the core of your disagreement.

Yeah VR software sales are low, but if we keep within the bubble RE7 had decent performance.

Yes, you are correct with the 2.5x power jump. I should have been more clear that I was speaking more to the "difference" you'll actually see once a game is made for it, more than the raw numbers. Remember what games did for the PS4 -> PS4 Pro jump in VR? The same games looked a little better and they played better, but it didn't seem as if they'd be able to program totally different games on it. And that was a 2x jump from 1.8 TFs to 4.2TFs (or a 2.3x jump).

That was a two times jump in raw power, Quest 2 and Quest 3 will be a 2x jump overall. Not just in one area.

PS4 PRO's problem was that it was still a jaguar chained PS4 on some steroids.

Last edited:
Going by the stats, only about 700 people play concurrent at any given time now, and the average play time per owner is only 11 minutes. The median time played is just under 8 minutes. In the last two weeks, the average play time per user is less than one minute.

By the looks of it, either HL Alyx is a super short demo, or it's a game with some decent game length, but most players bail after only 11 minutes.

Most gamers would spend more time fiddling with editing lines and GM options playing a FIFA game for the first time.
No matter how you slice it it's the best VR game on the best hardware imaginable. That and I hear those stats aren't very accurate at all. I'd love to see a comparison with PS but Sony doesn't want people to know such info, Valve is much more lenient even post steam spy crippling.

The Wizards Action rpgs series (the whole franchise) sold 200,000 across all platforms Feb 2021. Added.

Last edited:
Top Bottom