• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cutting Edge: PS1 Graphics in 2024... Why?

cireza

Sega (a company that I personally really like) needed to add the second SH2 to the Sega Saturn because Sony decided to follow 3D graphics. This is history and Sega's engineer Hideki Sato confirmed it.
How ignorant can you be ?

The SH2 has nothing to do with 3D, it is the CPU of the console. VDP1 handles 3D, and obviously they did not add VDP1 later or whatever absurd fairy tale people like to come up with the Saturn.

Dual CPU was a habit of SEGA in arcade boards, when it wasn't three (Sega Y Board) and the exact same architecture found out in the 32X.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
All this disdain and hatred for ps1 style graphics and aesthetics all because of a funny looking chicken.... shame on you gaf.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

I'm 36 years old but age doesn't invalidate history, history is history.
Sigh.... I was on about getting upset and crying over someone slagging off a system: I don't cry, just debate over systems and just because someone said something on YouTube, doesn't make it fact or history
Anyone who owned the 16 bit micro's was enjoying 3D polygon gaming long before the PS1 came along

Sonik

PS1 style graphics look good for horror games and only for them because of how ugly they are. I replayed Silent Hill 1 on an emulator years later and it wasn't even half as scary without the ugly pixels and the jaggies, all that shit adds a coat of mystery and weirdness to it

Rayderism

The PS1 was the first console I bought day1. I didn't regret it at all. My favorite launch title was Battle Arena Toshinden....specifically Sophia's bitch slap move. I still laugh when I see that. Really wish I had a gif of that move(hint, hint), I'd probably use it a lot, because...well...you know, some people truly need it. LOL!

But when it comes to PS1 these days, the one game I always go back to it for is Road Rash. The one that was also on 3D0. I never get tired of that game. The crazy artwork, the funny cutscenes, the awesome music, the excellent gameplay. It's the game that shines brightest in my mind when anyone mentions PS1.

I remember when they released the first dual shock for the PS1. I immediately went out and bought it....and took it back about 2 days later. At the time, I couldn't get used to the analog sticks and got real frustrated with it. Months later, I bought it again since games were starting to require it. Took me a while, but I got used to it. Now, I can't imagine playing a Playstation game without those analog sticks. Funny how things work out like that.

As for PS1 graphics, yeah, they haven't aged well, but at least we have Duckstation now to spruce them up a bit.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's not revisionism
''the Playstation did invent the 3D gaming market '' 3D gaming market.

Sega (a company that I personally really like) needed to add the second SH2 to the Sega Saturn because Sony decided to follow 3D graphics. This is history and Sega's stupid engineer Hideki Sato confirmed it.

Sega was doing 3D in the arcades. Doesn’t really matter that Sony was focusing on 3D, because they were following a path that Nintendo and Sega created.

Also Saturn released at the same time as PlayStation. 3DO before both of them.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
A generation that bought Sony marketing and basically ignored the inherent graphical flaws and issues of their games to the point they seemed the norm or even appealing while ridiculing other systems that simply did things differently with their own limitations and strengths is making games 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Going back to PS1/Saturn/N64 really isn't a great idea. 3D from back then is the worst, it simply looks awful.
Looks fine on a CRT or with a decent shader. More than fine in some cases.

However, on a modern screen, in raw form - anything/everything earlier than generation 7 looks atrocious.

Last edited:

Crayon

No need to make it look all lofi, but I think it's a reasonable level of graphics for small 3d games.

That's level of assets would be more accurate, i guess. With no constraints on resolution,fps, characters on screen or ram, etc, you can do a whole lot more than a ps1.

sachos

Going back to PS1/Saturn/N64 really isn't a great idea. 3D from back then is the worst, it simply looks awful.
Its not so much the graphics per se but the controls, devs were figuring out 3d controls and a lot of those games dated really poorly in that regard.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I don't mind the textures or the small polygon amounts, the jittering and texturing warping is where I draw the line. For the N64 I think the short distance fog is iconic of it's games, but the blurry textures isn't something I want in a modern game.
Soundtrack on the other had I prefer, if we could go back to the Jungle/Drum&Bass themes that were common of the era.

"Drum n Bass: Yesterday's sound of tomorrow--today." I love it

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I never had a PS1 before but I find those visuals absolutely delectable nowadays. I even love the affine texture warping.

Top Bottom