• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Da vinci code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doube D

Just finished reading it, and loved it. I kept an open mind about the "FACTS" in the book and enjoyed it for what it was. That said, I then tried to research its foundations on the web. What I found were countless Christian based sites trying to debunk fact after fact. Yet I couldn't help but ignore most due to their obvious bias. I mean to base your arguments in opposition to the text based on assertions posed by a PRIEST (PhD in bible studies notwithstanding) or so called scholars whose assertions are clearly one sided if not plainly wrong, is well, close minded. This isn't to say I believe everything I read in the book, but they are intriguing and I am wondering if any of you know of a credible (NON-BIASED) reference to the ideas mentioned in the book. :)

Regardless, it’s a great read for anyone that wants a page turning thriller. On to Angles n Demons. 

Doube D

apris, its kinda hard to discuss this in a fashion that would leave out some very spoilerish material. I suggest you read with caution, if at all. Wait until you have finished it first would be my advice. :)

Fusebox

Banned
Enters yet another Da Vinci Code thread at gaf.

Agrees wth everybody about how excellent the book is.. again.

Leaves.

Jim Bowie

Is The DaVinci Code a work of fiction? If so, I think the Christian right needs to take a chill pill. It's like saying that the Left Behind series is a newly found addition to the Bible.

I'm a Christian, incidentally. Again, fictional fact is no more than speculation.

Eh, The Da Vinci Code reminds me of Jurassic Park. I read through JP
and by the end had become fascinated with dinosaurs. For those who haven't read the book or seen the movie, it shouldn't be considered an accurate dinosaurial
account. Similarly, The Da Vinci Code shouldn't be looked at as an accurate account of what happened at the Council of Nicaea, etc.

If you want some non-biblical resources, this is a good site:

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/First Council of Nicaea

It'll also include links to Arianism, etc, which would be a good read if you wanna know what the real point of it was (not whether Jesus was divine, but whether he was to be considered separate, or equal to 'God the Father').

Also, you might want to actually read the Gospel of Thomas, since it's referenced in the book and it's not that long:

http://www.misericordia.edu/users/davies/thomas/Trans.htm

If you read it, you'll see it includes a lot of Jesus quotes from the gospels, but then it adds twists that don't really make sense like:

"The person old in days will not hesitate to ask a little child of seven
days about the place of life, and the person will live."

But anyways, do your research with an open mind and you'll notice all is not how Brown presents it.

~Cris

Jim Bowie said:
Is The DaVinci Code a work of fiction? If so, I think the Christian right needs to take a chill pill. It's like saying that the Left Behind series is a newly found addition to the Bible.

I'm a Christian, incidentally. Again, fictional fact is no more than speculation.

I've heard it's fictional. My sister's friend picked up the book from the fiction section so...fiction.

Doube D

well obviously the story is fictional. But the author suggests that the facts behind it or within it are real (hence all the commotion).

aparisi2274

Well I finished the book today. AMAZING!!!! I cant wait to read Angels & Demons. Anyway, this book was awesome. So many plot twists, and so many little cliffhangers. This books makes me want to go to the Lourve in France and check out everything.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Is there a site somewhere which covers which facts are wrong? I'd really like to know before I tell anymore people things I've learned from reading the book.

I enjoyed Angels & Demons until the last few chapters, then it just got ridiculous. Anyway, I've got Da Vinci Code on top of my reading pile, but with my new job have had no time to pick it up, glad to hear everyone enjoys it though.

well obviously the story is fictional. But the author suggests that the facts behind it or within it are real (hence all the commotion).

DaVinci code in a nutshell:

The story is fiction. Certain historical aspects are fictional, although some believe them to be real (Priory of Sion, for example). The stuff that causes the most stir (was Jesus a God, was the Bible fictionalized for political reasons, did he and Mary Magdalene have a child) can never be proven to be false or true. Altough judging from all the new DAVINCI CODE IS WRONG AND EVIL books that have come out recently by wackjob fundamentalists, the religious folk are sure going to try.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Are things like the pagan beliefs and things real? Like that story of the fertility god Baphomet having horns and that's where the word horny came from and due the Christian slander campaign the devil also had horns etc? Those are the parts which interested me most, it'd really ruin the book for me if they weren't true.

Dilbert

I haven't read the book, but it's definitely a work of fiction. There was a special on 20/20 the other night investigating some of the stories and theories on which the book was based, and it was interesting stuff. If you missed it, you might investigate what it would take to get a copy from ABC.

As for the "bias" issue -- just because someone happens to be a Christian (specifically, Catholic) priest doesn't mean that their opinion automatically is biased against some of the theories presented in the book. If I was seeking an expert perspective on the history of the early Church, I would tend to think that a Ph.D. in theology would make someone MORE of an expert.

Are things like the pagan beliefs and things real? Like that story of the fertility god Baphomet having horns and that's where the word horny came from and due the Christian slander campaign the devil also had horns etc? Those are the parts which interested me most, it'd really ruin the book for me if they weren't true.

I don't know about the whether the "horny" story is true or not, but, yes, most everything he says about Christianity being paganism repackaged is true. The early church made pagan gods into saints or demons, depending on the particular deity.

aparisi2274

Mama Smurf said:

yeah most of that true. Or how we came to "celebrate" Friday the 13th. Or why Christians go to Church on SUNday and not Saturday. There are certain things in the book that are real and certain things that are fake. here is an excerpt from Dan Brown's (Author) website:

HOW MUCH OF THIS NOVEL IS TRUE?
The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction. While the book's characters and their actions are obviously not real, the artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals depicted in this novel all exist (for example, Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings, the Louvre pyramid, the Gnostic Gospels, Hieros Gamos, etc.). These real elements are interpretted and debated by fictional characters. While it is my belief that the theories discussed by these characters have merit, each individual reader must explore these characters' viewpoints and come to his or her own interpretations. My hope in writing this novel was that the story would serve as a catalyst and a springboard for people to discuss the important topics of faith, religion, and history.

There is more, and if you want to read them, then check out this link:

http://www.danbrown.com/novels/davinci_code/faqs.html

geogaddi

Banned
At the college I go to, I've heard both sides of the issue.

I must say though that there is A LOT of strong evidence against Brown's research and published material. Any layman could be naively convinced of Brown's book at face value, because the layman obviously can't see any possible challenges to Brown's assertions. The book is interesting nonetheless but I am now more skeptical than ever of its content in many, many facets.

aparisi2274

geogaddi said:
At the college I go to, I've heard both sides of the issue.

I must say though that there is A LOT of strong evidence against Brown's research and published material. Any layman could be naively convinced of Brown's book at face value, because the layman obviously can't see any possible challenges to Brown's assertions. The book is interesting nonetheless but I am now more skeptical than ever of its content in many, many facets.

See I disagree with you, while I am not sold on the whole
jesus was a player, and married Mary Magdalene, and had a child named sara
. I do think that a lot of the facts within the book are true. Here is a partial list of the books he used when writing the Da Vinci Code.

Partial Bibliography for
THE DA VINCI CODE

The History of the Knights Templars
--Charles G. Addison

Rosslyn: Guardians of the Secret of the Holy Grail
--Tim Wallace-Murphy & Marilyn Hopkins

The Woman With The Alabaster Jar: Mary Magdalene and the Holy Grail
--Margaret Starbird

The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ
--Lynn Picknett & Clive Prince

The Goddess in the Gospels: Reclaiming the Sacred Feminine
--Margaret Starbird

Holy Blood, Holy Grail.
--Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, Henry Lincoln

The Search for the Holy Grail and the Precious Blood
--Deike Begg

The Messianic Legacy
--Michael Baigent

The Knights Templar and their Myth
--Peter Partner

The Dead Sea Bible. The Oldest Known Bible
--Martin G. Abegg

The Dead Sea Deception
--Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh

The Nag Hammadi Library in English
--James M. Robinson

Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians
--Timothy Freke, Peter Gandy

When God was a Woman
--Merlin Stone

The Chalice and the Blade. Our History, our Future
--Riane Eisler

Born in Blood
--John J. Robinson

The Malleus Maleficarum
--Heinrich Kramer & James Sprenger

The Notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci
--Leonardo da Vinci

Prophecies
--Leonardo da Vinci

Leonardo da Vinci: Scientist, Inventor, Artist
--Otto Letze

Leonardo: The Artist and the Man
--Serge Bramly, Sian Reynolds

Their Kingdom Come: Inside the secret world of Opus Dei
--Robert A. Hutchison

Beyond the Threshold: A Life in Opus Dei
--Maria Del Carmen Tapia

The Pope's Armada: Unlocking the Secrets of Mysterious and Powerful New Sects in the Church
--Gordon Urguhart

Opus Dei: An Investigation into the Secret Society Struggling for Power Within the Roman Catholic Church
--Michael Walsh

I. M. Pei: A Profile in American Architecture
--Carter Wiseman

Conversations With I. M. Pei: Light Is the Key
--Gero Von Boehm

teiresias

I've never read "The DaVinci Code," but now I think I might. Am I right in thinking it deals, at least peripherally, with some of the same historical issues discussed in "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" concerning the possible "faking" of the crucificion and Jesus' bloodline being continued to present day, and marrying Magdalen and all that?

"Holy Blood, Holy Grail" is a good, interesting read too, though how much credence one decides to give it is obviously an open issue - and it's not a novel, but more of a book length history report. I read it after playing "Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned" on the PC and it was listed as one of Jane Jensen's sources. I've never read the follow-up book "The Messianic Legacy" (or maybe Messianic Legend, I can't recall) though. It's all made me want to go to Rennes Le Chateau and check all the town and the surrounding area out, it's all just intriguingly enigmatic and mysterious.

way more

I was always taught that The Holy Grail was a literary invention created sometime during the medieval days. I also watched the National Geographic concerning the Da Vinci Code and they were just as inconclusive as this thread has been.

aparisi2274

teiresias said:
I've never read "The DaVinci Code," but now I think I might. Am I right in thinking it deals, at least peripherally, with some of the same historical issues discussed in "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" concerning the possible "faking" of the crucificion and Jesus' bloodline being continued to present day, and marrying Magdalen and all that?

"Holy Blood, Holy Grail" is a good, interesting read too, though how much credence one decides to give it is obviously an open issue - and it's not a novel, but more of a book length history report. I read it after playing "Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned" on the PC and it was listed as one of Jane Jensen's sources. I've never read the follow-up book "The Messianic Legacy" (or maybe Messianic Legend, I can't recall) though. It's all made me want to go to Rennes Le Chateau and check all the town and the surrounding area out, it's all just intriguingly enigmatic and mysterious.

Yeah The Da Vinci code is based on those ideas. It really is a great idea. I hate reading, and this was an awesome book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom