• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dinner Party: GAF advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

K0NY

I'm about to deal with some major potential drama tonight GAF, so if you'd like to offer me advice on how to proceed, please read the background below.

Later today three other married couples and their respective children will be coming to dine in our home at my wife's request. The dynamic of these couples is possible trouble. There's all sorts of drama under the surface of each relationship that could potentially collide once everyone starts relaxing and drinking together.

Couple A: One of my wife's former co-workers who is Russian and attractive. She acts flirty and is funny. Her husband is Indian and quite dull. I point out their races because the cultural differences they each grew up with make for a fascinating dynamic between the two of them. They don't so much seem to be enamored with each other as just tolerating their mutual coexistence.

This couple has two daughters, both of which are quite spoiled because the aren't given any limits or punished when they misbehave.

Couple B: My wife's current boss who is snooty and quite proper. She's a self-admitted control freak. Her husband is a party boy who gets drunk and starts acting frisky. Last time we were at a dinner party together, this man was hanging all over me saying he can't wait to go to a strip club and get some tits pushed in our faces. His wife was encouraging him to go find someone younger (she says, "A 20 year old") and more tolerant than her to have fun with. I recently found out that their marriage is in real trouble and the husband might be in the process of moving out.

Couple B has two sons. One of them is by birth, the other was adopted from Russia 2 years ago. The siblings aren't that friendly with each other but the older (birth) son actually hates Couple A's kids. At previous events he's gone out of his way to avoid them.

Couple C: One of my wife's current coworkers who is in her mid twenties and very cute. I don't know much about her except that her husband is a recovering alcoholic. They have no kids.

So when these people show up, I know that the booze will be coming out. In fact some are actually bringing alcohol. My son gets along with everyone but I anticipate him having to play cop between the other sets of children. I'm concerned that the alcoholic from couple C and the heavy drinker from Couple B will get out of hand. The husband from Couple B might start hitting on the young wife from Couple C or make moves on the flirty wife from Couple A.

Normally when we have people over we'll break out Rock Band or something to entertain ourselves, but these people aren't the type to have interest in that. They will want to sit and talk and drink. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to make things go smoothly and avoid unnecessary drama. My wife wants things to go well because she's pretty close with all the women attending.

I'm also afraid of having an attitude and coming off as a jerk. I'm bitter because a large number of my friends are gathering elsewhere today for a big video game party complete with three consoles on different TVs and I'm going to miss it because I need to be home for this thing.

So GAF, I ask for your advice. How should I handle things?

ToxicAdam

Isn't that rude to be drinking in front of a recovering alcoholic?

I recommend a backup plan like a board game (or one of those communal DVD-based games) in case the conversation is bland after dinner.

joey_z

Banned
Wait till you find out that Couple B's adopted son is actually the child of the wife from Couple A and the husband of Couple B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom