• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crazy In-Law Stories

Dural

My wife's family are a bit... crazy. I thought I'd share a story or two and see if anyone else has some in-laws as wacko as mine.

Several weeks before my wedding my wife's mom started berating my wife telling her she needed to give her dad her car because he's driving a death trap. Everyday she would call her over and over again telling her he was going to die if she didn't give him her car. Eventually she gave in, she used all her savings to pay off the car then gave it to her dad to drive. This was maybe a week before we got married. Fast forward to a year later, might not have even been a year, and my wife gets a call that a car in her name was in an accident (she never signed the car over to them, they were just using it). Apparently her parents got in a fight at the local bar (this always happens) and her mom, who has no license, took off in the car while intoxicated and with a glass of alcohol and drives into a light pole (on purpose). The insurance company called it a total loss and my wife got a check for the car. Her mom thought because she was the one driving that she should get the check, never mind that the car was still in my wife's name and we were paying for the insurance. She also got off with a slap on the wrist; no drunk driving charges, open alcohol charges, or driving without a license. She was crying that she wanted to die so was put at the local hospital for a few days to be monitored then released.

There are many other crazy stories about her parents, usually relating to alcohol.

Aesius

I got lucky because my in-laws are pretty solid people. However, they have become extremely political in recent years (left leaning) and were more terrified of Covid than anyone I’ve ever met. And while masks are coming back in some places, they never stopped wearing them. They are like the quintessential 60-something retired NPR listeners.

Billbofet

My in-laws are passive-aggressive twats, with my mother-in-law also being a massive alcoholic.
Worse than all that, they are boring as hell, so I have zero crazy stories.

Dural

You better keep an eye on your wife.

Meaning, sometimes things are passed along and show up later.

We've been married 10 years now, she's nothing like her mom. In fact, she hates her mom and has actively tried to get her dad to leave her (I honestly don't think he's much better).

BlackTron

I thought the story was going to be much worse. If her mom had caused substantial damage in excess of a light pole, such as to other personal property (cars) or medical expenses, your wife would be responsible for said damages in excess of that covered by the insurance policy.

For that matter, if you own a car but it is not insured, and your dumbass friend takes the car and totals someones Corvette, guess who is responsible for that 80 grand, it's totally on you

Dural

Here's another one, this time her dad.

My wife got a call from her uncle on a Saturday morning that her dad had broken his leg. He didn't know how it happened, but he couldn't walk on one leg and it was swollen and bruised. My wife went and took him to the hospital because his car wasn't at his house and he didn't know how he got home. He ended up having a really bad break and needed surgery on it, but he had no idea how it happened. My wife asked him where he was the previous night and he told her a local bar that he frequented. She called the bar to ask if they knew what happened. He was being a belligerent drunk, as he always is, and kept antagonizing the bouncers. Eventually they had enough and carried him outside. They didn't admit it, but one of them had to have twisted his foot all the way around as that's the kind of break he had. He didn't remember any of it. He now needs a hip replacement due to how he walks and stands due to the broken leg.

He was supposed to get the hip replacement last spring but the doctor wouldn't due it unless he stopped smoking. He stopped for several months, but his wife didn't and she stays up all night chain smoking so the second hand smoke from her showed up in the blood work and the doctor denied doing the surgery. He can barely walk because of the hip but has now said fuck it and went back to smoking.

Last edited:

Braag

Sometimes relatives can ruin or make a relationship very hard for you.

My girlfriend held a big birthday party with all her friends and family there. I arrived there slightly earlier than rest of the guests but about 1 hour later than I expected. I was running couple of errands and I had to go to a shop to purchase some last minute stuff that they wanted there.
My GF was a little bummed that I didn't arrive earlier but got eventually over it.
Fast forward to later that night when everyone started being drunk (except me cause I don't like to drink much) and her mom came to change few word with me and just out of nowhere she goes ape shit on me for being late and fucking up the whole party and cursing me that I don't care for her birthday. Only person who saw this was my gf's friend. I told her mom that I chalk up the way she's speaking me to alcohol and left her alone. I told my gf about her mom going all crazy on me and few moments later her friend who saw everything arrives there and tells me and my gf that I should apologize to her mom cause it was disrespectful that I told her that it's just the alcohol talking.
To say I was upset was an understatement, I kept my cool and at the end of the night apologized to her mom. But from that day forward I deeply dislike my gf's mom and friend.

The quintessential reference to in-laws:
940c65951bd49bedf9d334d8786849ef26ceaeaeff1a34e148e7e1a4c17ca2fc._RI_TTW_.jpg

Top Bottom