• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind |OT| Why walk when you can ride?

Not sure. Probably, looking at map. It has been something like 10 years since i last tried distant land mod so i can't say for sure.

The topography is different from TES3. I'm sure there were taller hills obscuring the view between Seyda and Vivec even if you got rid of fog.

I mean, it seems a lot of tall hills from TES3-5 are shortened in TESO's topography.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Tossing up whether to put the Skyshards and Lorebooks addons on during my 1-50 levelling...I really enjoy the exploration and "ohhh a Skyshard/Lorebook!" moments, but the draw distance doesn't seem to pick up the beams all the times until I'm really close to them :/

Any tips (on PC) for a good draw distance to see Skyshards all the time? They do always beam, but it seems they don't pop until I'm quite close to them.

In vanilla, I remember putting the Skyshard and Lorebook addons on, and I remember thinking "This could be ruining my immersion/exploration" feel.

1st world ESO problems right here lol.

Chumley

Banned
Two questions, how do i increase my inventory space and what's the easiest way to get a mount?

Also is there any way to turn off dialogue subtitles?

Redshirt

Banned
Two questions, how do i increase my inventory space and what's the easiest way to get a mount?

Also is there any way to turn off dialogue subtitles?

There are in-game bag vendors that upgrade inventory space in most major cities. You can also spend crowns.

Additionally, there's a capacity component to mount training that adds bag space as well.

You can buy horses in-game at stables starting at 10K.

Not sure about subtitles. There is an option to disable NPC on the main chat tab or any custom chat tabs.

Seijuro

Started yesterday, a few hours in and only questing around Vvardenfell as of now.
Am I missing out on stuff because I didn't start the regular ESO main questline and instead just doing Morrowind stuff?

I'm asking because this seems more like a single player Morrowind than an MMORPG to me. Sure I will happen upon the occasional other player, but until now there was no quest where I had to interact with anyone else, or given the incentive to party up with other players (with the exception of an overworld boss I stumbled upon). I know once I reach level 10 (?) I can queue for instanced dungeons and join guilds, but as of now this is more of a traditional RPG (which is not a knock on the game, it's just different from other MMORPGs that way).

In FFXIV for example, once you hit lvl 10, the game forces you into party instances. Does that point arrive in ESO as well? And do I have to do the "regular" main questline for this?

Started yesterday, a few hours in and only questing around Vvardenfell as of now.
Am I missing out on stuff because I didn't start the regular ESO main questline and instead just doing Morrowind stuff?

I'm asking because this seems more like a single player Morrowind than an MMORPG to me. Sure I will happen upon the occasional other player, but until now there was no quest where I had to interact with anyone else, or given the incentive to party up with other players (with the exception of an overworld boss I stumbled upon). I know once I reach level 10 (?) I can queue for instanced dungeons and join guilds, but as of now this is more of a traditional RPG (which is not a knock on the game, it's just different from other MMORPGs that way).

In FFXIV for example, once you hit lvl 10, the game forces you into party instances. Does that point arrive in ESO as well? And do I have to do the "regular" main questline for this?
The majority of content in ESO can be done completely solo. Only end game content like dungeons, Trials and Battlegrounds require playing with others. It's one of ESO's strongest qualities, imo.

SZips

I think I just finished up the main story thread in the Morrowind expansion tonight.

I must say that it was really enjoyable! The writing for some of these quests was a good step or two above the norm when compared to the last couple of games. I loved the touches of humor here and there. Plus it still amazes me that every single line of dialogue is voice acted.

I still have plenty to do in Vvardenfell.

I do have a question though: If I'm missing some armor set pieces (never got them or sold them), is there a way to buy them somewhere?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Pretty much what HM said, one of the best things about ESO is you can happily do most of the game solo, and if you feel like teaming up to hit a Trial, Dungeon or Battleground you can easily.

I like to warm up a session with a few solo story quests, gather some mats then hit a Dungeon then admire my loot for a while whilst Breton dancing....that's how this Pact member rolls.

ESO is one of the most solo-friendly MMORPG's out there. You are never forced to interact with other people, which is a bit of a pity in my opinion. I would have preferred if they followed the FFXIV model and threw in a few forced dungeons along the main quest.

As far as I know Morrowind didn't come with any new dungeons. After you finish the expansion you will go to the mainland and start the ESO main questline. While exploring the different alliance zones you will stumble upon various dungeons but they are all optional.

Redshirt

Banned

I did Morrowind first with my new Warden and then went into ESO proper, and I think it worked really well.

I like how being the Champion of Vivec was my life story before the bad things that happen to me in the main story.

ESO is one of the most solo-friendly MMORPG's out there. You are never forced to interact with other people, which is a bit of a pity in my opinion. I would have preferred if they followed the FFXIV model and threw in a few forced dungeons along the main quest.

As far as I know Morrowind didn't come with any new dungeons. After you finish the expansion you will go to the mainland and start the ESO main questline. While exploring the different alliance zones you will stumble upon various dungeons but they are all optional.

Some of the forced group content would be world bosses and public dungeons (all found in the world).

Just bought eso digitally as I'd lost the disk.

But... how do I access the game without the morrowind expansion, it keeps asking me to enter a code or upgrade?

Have I just wasted money? Can't afford a morrowind expansion at this point.

Just bought eso digitally as I'd lost the disk.

But... how do I access the game without the morrowind expansion, it keeps asking me to enter a code or upgrade?

Have I just wasted money? Can't afford a morrowind expansion at this point.

No. There's a prompt to skip that screen. Square on PS4 I believe

Edit. Look at bottom of screen. Should give option to skip if I recall right

Just beat the main quest line. Really good stuff in it, thought the ending was really well done for an MMO. I've also completed what I imagine are the two most eloborate string of side quests in the expansion, and thought they were both excellent.

I play ESO mainly as a single player game and come back to it from time to time, so I'm not the most avid fan, but I was quite happy with my purchase, and am definitely getting my $40 worth of fun.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Just beat the main quest line. Really good stuff in it, thought the ending was really well done for an MMO. I've also completed what I imagine are the two most eloborate string of side quests in the expansion, and thought they were both excellent.

I play ESO mainly as a single player game and come back to it from time to time, so I'm not the most avid fan, but I was quite happy with my purchase, and am definitely getting my $40 worth of fun.

It's a whole lot of content for $40 IMO, getting unfairly compared with $60 expansions though doesn't help it's cause much.

I'm L31 at the moment on a MagSorc, wondering if someone could explain the exploit mechanic when the prompt pops up? Absolutely loving the combat with the Sorc with controller (on PC), just realised there's a tab lock with R3 hold too, good to know!

I'm confused. I have a level 6 character I started and am still on the starter island. Should I continue doing that until a certain point, or just go straight to Morrowind?

I actually didn't buy the expansion yet, kind of want to see if I keep up with it first. But I loved Morrowind and going back to Vvardenfell sounds awesome.

So better to level up first or just dive into the expansion with basically a new character?

I'm confused. I have a level 6 character I started and am still on the starter island. Should I continue doing that until a certain point, or just go straight to Morrowind?

I actually didn't buy the expansion yet, kind of want to see if I keep up with it first. But I loved Morrowind and going back to Vvardenfell sounds awesome.

So better to level up first or just dive into the expansion with basically a new character?

You can go straight to Morrowind or you can do the Main Quest in base TESO first.

I'm finishing the Main Quests in TESO before going to Morrowind, but I've already went there just to get a sneak peak :p

Redshirt

Banned
It's a whole lot of content for $40 IMO, getting unfairly compared with $60 expansions though doesn't help it's cause much.

I'm L31 at the moment on a MagSorc, wondering if someone could explain the exploit mechanic when the prompt pops up? Absolutely loving the combat with the Sorc with controller (on PC), just realised there's a tab lock with R3 hold too, good to know!

Many mobs are exploitable when they're set off-balance, at which point a heavy attack will knock them down.

You can go straight to Morrowind or you can do the Main Quest in base TESO first.

I'm finishing the Main Quests in TESO before going to Morrowind, but I've already went there just to get a sneak peak :p
Ok cool. Maybe I'll stick with the plan of making sure I'm actually enjoying the game before dropping $$ for the expansion.

Also, is a sneaky bow-wielding Bosmer a good (and fun) character to use? That's what I've used for all ES games.

Ok cool. Maybe I'll stick with the plan of making sure I'm actually enjoying the game before dropping $$ for the expansion.

Also, is a sneaky bow-wielding Bosmer a good (and fun) character to use? That's what I've used for all ES games.

Also, as soon as you reach level 15 ( I think) you can start doing the low level Dungeons! That's where the game really shines!

stn

How long is the ESO main quest? I'm currently on chapter 2. Figure I'll do that, the Fighters Guild, and then Morrowind. Then, I'll find some friends to raid with.

Any XBO'ers wanna play some time add me. GT is Norieaga. Just pleaseeeee say you're from GAF so I know you're not some random weirdo. Thanks!

Samikaze

I'm seeing Warden's running around with Feral Companions that have green eyes, or strange green runes on their shoulders.

Can you edit your feral companion? If so, how?
I'm currently level 12 with level 16 Animal Companion skill.

Redshirt

Banned
I'm seeing Warden's running around with Feral Companions that have green eyes, or strange green runes on their shoulders.

The green eyes means it's an Eternal Guardian, which auto respawns. The rune is on both morphs, I think.

dubq

One of the pre order bonuses was a grey bear skin.. could be that?

Samikaze

The green eyes means it's an Eternal Guardian, which auto respawns. The rune is on both morphs, I think.

That could be it. Mine hasn't morphed yet.
I could have sworn he had normal eyes too, but I could be wrong.

One of the pre order bonuses was a grey bear skin.. could be that?

Not sure. I know I saw it on grey versions, but it could also exist on the brown ones too.

Severance

I'm a long time WoW and FFXIV subscriber, and I skipped out on Stormblood to dive into ESO. It is truly a breath of fresh air, the game has lots of great ideas. Fully voiced NPCs really help immerse me in the world more than any other MMO has, as I don't have it in me to skip through quest text anymore. The 'One Tamriel' concept is fantastic as well. The only problem I have is deciding on what class I want to take into end game. I've been trying out a couple, and embraced going Nightblade because I'm playing it like any other Elder Scrolls game. Looking ahead though, I usually like PvE content with a dash of pvp, and I like playing a healer. Sometimes tank. Anyway, how's the Warden fitting into the game currently now that Morrowind is settling in? There's not too much out there on Wardens yet. People say Templar is far ahead of any other class in terms of healing, and people don't take kindly to any other class healing. I'm considering alternatives, but looks like Templar is the only way to go.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It is a great game, but dang I'm dropping my connection like no tomorrow. I even did their open port suggestions because I got sick of the "unable to connect to server". Public dungeons have been the worst. If there's players just walking around it crashes. No other game has ever crashed this bad for me on PS4.

I am really enjoying this game, but the stability of these megaservers are terrible. I never complained about getting connected. It has never happened to me before when I played a game online, but holy crap is it annoying. I was literally seconds from a boss being downed and it crashed.

I submitted a ticket with their support tonight, but I am 99% sure it's not my connection.

It is a great game, but dang I'm dropping my connection like no tomorrow. I even did their open port suggestions because I got sick of the "unable to connect to server". Public dungeons have been the worst. If there's players just walking around it crashes. No other game has ever crashed this bad for me on PS4.

I am really enjoying this game, but the stability of these megaservers are terrible. I never complained about getting connected. It has never happened to me before when I played a game online, but holy crap is it annoying. I was literally seconds from a boss being downed and it crashed.

I submitted a ticket with their support tonight, but I am 99% sure it's not my connection.

That is really crazy. I've had near flawless connection since MW launched (one night I had a lag issue).

Have you tried reinstalling the game?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
urgh, apparently dualwield is better for dealing in PvE for stamin as a dk, I think I'll respec but I'm already level 45.

I think that was changed with morrowind

guess I'll go 5 med 1 heavy 1 light

what undaunted level gives you the passive for mixed armor

Hellers

I have alt-itis. Playing on PC. My stamwarden hit level 35 last night and she's great to play. Currently 2h/bow but I'm thinking about going bow/bow

I started a fresh high elf magsorc this morning before work. I'm going to run her without a clanfear for a change. I also want to play the other classes (My dw/bow nightblade is at 16).

Chumley

Banned
They really need to put in some proper anti aliasing into this game and sort out the problem with view distance performance, framerate goes to shit after around the 40 or 50 setting and especially with a lot of players in the same place at once.

I have alt-itis. Playing on PC. My stamwarden hit level 35 last night and she's great to play. Currently 2h/bow but I'm thinking about going bow/bow

I started a fresh high elf magsorc this morning before work. I'm going to run her without a clanfear for a change. I also want to play the other classes (My dw/bow nightblade is at 16).

Considering that champion points apply to all characters, I'd say ESO is rather alt-friendly.

I also like to start new characters all the time but I only have two at the moment. A templar, my main, and a dragon knight. Both lvl 50 (CP 98 or something).

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
On my MagSorc I just started using Destro and Resto staff back to back with heals/summons on the Resto and pure DPS on the Destro skill lines...so much better than double DPS IMO.

Awesome for PVE, Not too sure for Cyrodiil since I'm only L31 (get smashed).

Redshirt

Banned
On my MagSorc I just started using Destro and Resto staff back to back with heals/summons on the Resto and pure DPS on the Destro skill lines...so much better than double DPS IMO.

Awesome for PVE, Not too sure for Cyrodiil since I'm only L31 (get smashed).

Yeah. Resto back bar is a great option for survivability while leveling up.

As a magsorc, once you get Conjured Ward, you'll be badass and won't need it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That is really crazy. I've had near flawless connection since MW launched (one night I had a lag issue).

Have you tried reinstalling the game?

The thing is, it's on two consoles that it's doing this. I purchased a Nighthawk 1750 and we have a cable modem. I run speed test and I'm getting 50+mbps.

I opened the ports on my router they suggested even though it's possibly a security risk. That's a good idea, but it sucks because it's happening on both consoles.

sometimes I do remote play ESO while my wife is playing too, but i don't see why slower speeds are minimum when they give us the option to stream from our PC/Vita.

I should be able to stream it while another person plays. It works when it wants to. I'm just frustrated because the drops come after very good play sessions. It'll drop at the worst possible time.

We had it where everyone was frozen, main character turned invisible, and where the screen would go dark instantly.

I get kinda upset thinking they need better tech. If you had multiple PC's running WoW or something.. you'd probably not run into a drop from the server. I've only played WoW by myself and most other MMO's. I LANed with a group 3 years ago and we had 7 people going on the same type of connection playing Guild Wars 2/LOTRO. For two people in 2017 on console, this is ridiculous.

Ah this is that free new zone unlike Orsinium, IC, and Colovia right?

Yep. I think it is the first piece of post-release content they released back when subs were still mandatory. It also used to be a group zone until someone decided that having to play with other people in an MMO is a bad idea.

I don't play the game and I can say with quite a bit of confidence that most of this is pretty wrong
It is absolutely wrong. I have played since early access as well and this game is fantastic. Whether I am solo adventuring, with some friends, or with my guild, there is always something to do. I love the variety in this game. Not to mention how pretty it is.

Anyone on NA PC can feel free to add me @XTVengeance

It came with no new dungeons, but it did come with a trial, The Halls of Fabrication. Supposedly it is harder than Maw.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Redshirt, you are a boon to the ESO GAF community, I see you answering questions left right and centre, it's appreciated hombre :)

Is there an active GAF community on EU (PC)? Judging from the OP it doesn't really seem that way.

Also finally got a decent controller profile running. I really hate the UI changes and mod incompatibility that the current controller support offers so I think I'm better off with xpadder.

Top Bottom