• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online Tamriel Unlimited - |OT| - Console edition

TheMink

Picked it up, went Breton Nightblade. Enjoying myself so far!!

Is there anything I need to know about Stat allocation? Ive barely started but I haven't invested anything into anything yet.

I would like the stealthy daggers or maybe bow route. Any advice?

BizzyBum

Picked it up, went Breton Nightblade. Enjoying myself so far!!

Is there anything I need to know about Stat allocation? Ive barely started but I haven't invested anything into anything yet.

I would like the stealthy daggers or maybe bow route. Any advice?

This game throws so many skill points at you that you can be anything you want like any other TES game which is one of the great things about this game. You only really need to worry about good builds if you plan to get serious with PvP or veteran dungeons at max level but you can always respec at that time.

My advice though is try to level up everything. Some examples would be mix and match light, medium, and heavy armor at first to get them all to level 50.

Aces&Eights

Skill morphing question. So, I am level 25 Champion and I have respeced my skills (a long time ago, around level 40) I have since had new skills slotted and ranked up all the way to IV. The bar has been full on them for quite a while but it will not give me a morph option and I have 6 skill points waiting to be used. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

What's the name of the skills? Are you positive they aren't already morphs of an initial skill?

I think you are correct. I must have morphed before and not realized it. I'm a doofus.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Skill morphing question. So, I am level 25 Champion and I have respeced my skills (a long time ago, around level 40) I have since had new skills slotted and ranked up all the way to IV. The bar has been full on them for quite a while but it will not give me a morph option and I have 6 skill points waiting to be used. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

What's the name of the skills? Are you positive they aren't already morphs of an initial skill?

gossi

Some Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind screenshots. On PS4 Pro it's Native 4K with HDR.

IW3WJEa.jpg

QIUgetu.png

Dj4iGfL.png

Ry6NXuj.png

For those who didn't catch the live stream, it adds a new main quest and opening tutorial, completely abandoning the old storyline. The Bethesda PR peeps say the game is bigger than Morrowind in size and quest time.

By the way, when the game relaunches I will ask for this topic to be moved back to Gaming and redo it as the Morrowind OT.

Dineren

Banned
Some Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind screenshots. On PS4 Pro it's Native 4K with HDR.

For those who didn't catch the live stream, it adds a new main quest and opening tutorial, completely abandoning the old storyline. The Bethesda PR peeps say the game is bigger than Morrowind in size and quest time.

By the way, when the game relaunches I will ask for this topic to be moved back to Gaming and redo it as the Morrowind OT.

What do you mean by abandoning the old storyline? I bought this when the game originally launched, but never played it. Does that mean if I wait until Morrowind launches to play it the original main quest won't be available?

Wallach

What do you mean by abandoning the old storyline? I bought this when the game originally launched, but never played it. Does that mean if I wait until Morrowind launches to play it the original main quest won't be available?

No. I think you'll just have the option to start a new character directly in Vvardenfell, so there are new tutorial quests over there in case you don't start in one of the original areas. The old quests aren't going away though.

gossi

No. I think you'll just have the option to start a new character directly in Vvardenfell, so there are new tutorial quests over there in case you don't start in one of the original areas. The old quests aren't going away though.

The old quests are staying, however the entire opening is being replaced. The old tutorial (which introduces the main quest) is gone.

Wallach

The old quests are staying, however the entire opening is being replaced. The old tutorial (which introduces the main quest) is gone.

Are you sure? I don't think they mentioned removing the old tutorial in the livestream. They can't force you to start in Vvardenfell because not everyone is going to buy the expansion, so I don't know why they'd remove any of them.

MaKTaiL

The game as we know now will remain the same. You will have the option to start directly on Morrowind but if you choose you can also start just like you do now.

Preordered Morrowind on PS4 and also subbed for 6 months to ESO Plus, bought some crates with some of the crowns, ended up with the Storm Camel and horse mounts so happy with those results, will keep the rest for anything else that comes up between now and my 6 months being up. Remembered that the subscription adds the crafting bag which makes the game less stressful on the micromanagement of inventory.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
only played about 4 hours of this before i stopped but gonna try it again. the morrowind expansion has got me a bit excited.

Lom1lo

How often goes this game on sale ? I could buy the gold edition for 30 € at amazon.de, but I rather have it digital.

Xbox One, there was a sale during the free play days and I wondered if this means I have to wait a long time for the next sale..

https://psprices.com/region-gb/game/909949/the-elder-scrolls-online-gold-edition

Similar time tbh, November December sales, I guess might be another one soon, and no doubt there will be once Morrowind hits.

I picked up the digital gold premium with 5500 crowns on PS4 for £28 when they had the sale on, bargain considering the cost of crowns on their own.

H3xum

Can I ask a really vague question?

I have played all of the ES series and enjoyed all of the ES series. I want an easy class to get in and be able to enjoy ESO without feeling like I have to micro skills and macro bars and such. I enjoy the warrior role...what would you vets suggest? I am on XBO.

Can I ask a really vague question?

I have played all of the ES series and enjoyed all of the ES series. I want an easy class to get in and be able to enjoy ESO without feeling like I have to micro skills and macro bars and such. I enjoy the warrior role...what would you vets suggest? I am on XBO.

There's hardly any micro management in this game =)

Your hotbar only has room for 5 skills, and one Ultimate ability. Later on you'll unlock a second hotbar (switch bars by switching weapons that they're assigned to), so you can have two different weapons and a total of 10 skills, but 99% of players stick to using a single bar a time, and use secondary bars for PVP or group PVE content (like healing, or tanking).

The warrior build I'm playing at the moment is heavily focused on raw weapon damage. I'm still levelling him so I'm not sure how "viable" it is for min/maxers but it's a lot of fun to play. It's a Dragon Knight class and I'm focusing on the Fighter's Guild skill line, Dual Wield Weapons, and Medium Armour, for all the passive bonuses to weapon damage they provide. I'm levelling by touring all of Tamriel to destroy Daedric Anchors, exploring along the way. I haven't completed a single quest and I'm level 21 with roughly a third of the anchors in the game destroyed, so I genuinely think I might get close to level 50 without completing a single quest.

H3xum

There's hardly any micro management in this game =)

Your hotbar only has room for 5 skills, and one Ultimate ability. Later on you'll unlock a second hotbar (switch bars by switching weapons that they're assigned to), so you can have two different weapons and a total of 10 skills, but 99% of players stick to using a single bar a time, and use secondary bars for PVP or group PVE content (like healing, or tanking).

The warrior build I'm playing at the moment is heavily focused on raw weapon damage. I'm still levelling him so I'm not sure how "viable" it is for min/maxers but it's a lot of fun to play. It's a Dragon Knight class and I'm focusing on the Fighter's Guild skill line, Dual Wield Weapons, and Medium Armour, for all the passive bonuses to weapon damage they provide. I'm levelling by touring all of Tamriel to destroy Daedric Anchors, exploring along the way. I haven't completed a single quest and I'm level 21 with roughly a third of the anchors in the game destroyed, so I genuinely think I might get close to level 50 without completing a single quest.

Well all of that is reassuring to read haha, thank you!

When it comes to group things, dungeons or whatever their proper name is in this game, is there a clear advantage/disadvantage to grouping as a certain class?

When it comes to group things, dungeons or whatever their proper name is in this game, is there a clear advantage/disadvantage to grouping as a certain class?

As with all MMOs, yep, you'll find groups more easily as a tank or healer. I don't even touch the group finder dungeons myself though so I can't give much advice there. I stick to battlefield scale PVP and natural grouping (no group invites required, just help out with a world boss or world event and everyone gets 100% exp automagically).

I hear some people complaining about dungeon groups routinely kicking players who don't play as commonly accepted "good" builds for their role (DPS, tank, or healer), but I have no idea how much of an issue that really is, or how much is just a tiny minority of players it happens to making a lot of noise about it. But it certainly does make sense to assume that at end-game other players will want you to have a good grasp and understanding of the game mechanics for group content.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

In ESO class and role are 2 different things.

The roles are the same as the trinity in every MMO, tank, healer and dps (either magic focused or stamina focused

Classes (Dragon Knight, Templar, Nightblade, Sorcerer) only give you access to 3 unique skill trees which help define the flavor of your character.

All classes can play all roles. You can be a sorcerer and a tank. You can be a Dragon Knight and wield a destruction staff. All things are viable with the right customization.

Aside from finding groups easier as a tank or healer as was already mentioned, your class doesn't determine how well you will fit into a group, only how well you're outfitted for your role. The reason people get kicked from some groups is because the late game dungeons (called Veteran Dungeons) are quite difficult and have mechanics and bosses that necessitate a certain caliber of DPS in order to be dealt with. This doesn't always mean you need to mix/max a class with the perfect race/gear/skill combo to do most content, but there are expectations of you. If you, for instance, consider yourself a DPS and join a group as such and show up in a suit of full plate armor, you're likely going to get kicked out of a challenging dungeon because you simply won't be able to put out enough DPS without the passive bonuses provided by light and medium armor (depending on if you're magicka or stamina focused respectively).

For solo content and low level content, almost everything is viable. Experiment with everything and get a sense for what all of the weapons and skills can do. Up until you hit level 50 with 160+ champion points just focus on leveling up all of your skills and experimenting until you find out what you like. Worry about focusing later.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i've only just started. the main quest is the harborage. i am in the ebonheart pact but i want to know is it possible that i could travel to the daggerfall covenant area or do i need to get to a certain point? i read that the One Tamriel update let you travel freely and quests will scale but i'm not sure exactly.

i'm just wondering because of the Morrowind update that's coming. when that releases should I be able to start playing that or do i need to get to a certain level or do a certain quest line?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
i've only just started. the main quest is the harborage. i am in the ebonheart pact but i want to know is it possible that i could travel to the daggerfall covenant area or do i need to get to a certain point? i read that the One Tamriel update let you travel freely and quests will scale but i'm not sure exactly.

i'm just wondering because of the Morrowind update that's coming. when that releases should I be able to start playing that or do i need to get to a certain level or do a certain quest line?

Pretty much any place, any level. Pretty sure there are some way shrines in Daggerfall you can transport to. Some of the boats in Ebonheart will take you there too, if you go up to the stèering wherel.

LiQuid!

Go to any wayshrine and then zoom out to the world map. Every faction has a wayshrine available that leads to the first (major) starting city for that faction that you can travel to by default. If you want to get somewhere that isn't near a start city and don't want to run there you can group up with someone that can travel wherever and then use the group menu to "travel to player" by right clicking their name, basically allowing them to give you a free lift anywhere in the world. You will unlock whatever wayshrine you arrive at once you get there.

So at this point is it best to just wait until June/Morrowind to jump back in?

Best in what way? If you want to play the game, play it. If you've done everything in the game and need a new landmass to explore, wait until June.

finalflame

Best in what way? If you want to play the game, play it. If you've done everything in the game and need a new landmass to explore, wait until June.

I mean, what I'm reading is saying that the Morrowind expansion will change the storyline of the game completely and how it starts.

So right now I'm a level 20 sword and board, just hopping from one quest to the next and so on. But I haven't really done any crafting yet (and I'm not big on it in RPGs, usually). Should I start working in some crafting to level those skills? Any chance I'll regret not doing so down the line?

Thanks

I mean, what I'm reading is saying that the Morrowind expansion will change the storyline of the game completely and how it starts.

I think it's just adding a new self-contained storyline for the new landmass it's adding (Vvardenfell). I don't think it's doing anything to the main story of the rest of the game, but it might well be providing an option to start a new character on Vvardenfell straight away. Not that it'd be difficult to get there at level 1, 5 mins after creating a character the normal way anyway.

BizzyBum

So right now I'm a level 20 sword and board, just hopping from one quest to the next and so on. But I haven't really done any crafting yet (and I'm not big on it in RPGs, usually). Should I start working in some crafting to level those skills? Any chance I'll regret not doing so down the line?

Thanks

I would, yes.

Some easy things you can do as you level would be to deconstruct weapons and armor you find that you don't need which will level up your blacksmithing, tailoring, and woodworking. Deconstruct glyphs at enchanting stations. Alchemy and provisioning are a little more time consuming and require you to learn recipes and make a bunch of potions and food. Crafting Writs are a great way to get XP and make some Gold, too. You can get them from your alliance's starting city.

Another thing I would do right away would be to research traits on weapons and armor. Early on they are pretty quick but they will eventually take weeks to research a single piece. Just throw it in there and continue to level, it researches automatically on a set timer that continues even when not playing.

LiQuid!

Thanks

Leveling up your crafting skills in this game requires very little actual creation of items, instead it's just a byproduct of your regular progress thru the game. Basically all you need to do is deconstruct all of your trash loot rather than selling it and the corresponding skills go up.

The results of the deconstruction will usually be worth more sold to a player (join a trading guild) than the 20-30 gold a vendor would have given it for you. Especially if you get tempers from them. Or you can be like me and hoard them.

You're going to want to also make sure you are researching traits on one of your characters (the one you might ever want to use crafting on eventually) as that takes almost a year of real life time in order to learn them all. You could always pay people to do your crafting for you, but if you're serious about the game there's no reason not to be able to do it yourself, it will save you a lot of hassle in the long run. It's just not something you need to care about until you're high level and trying to maximize your potential with the best possible gear.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Leveling up your crafting skills in this game requires very little actual creation of items, instead it's just a byproduct of your regular progress thru the game. Basically all you need to do is deconstruct all of your trash loot rather than selling it and the corresponding skills go up.

The results of the deconstruction will usually be worth more sold to a player (join a trading guild) than the 20-30 gold a vendor would have given it for you. Especially if you get tempers from them. Or you can be like me and hoard them.

You're going to want to also make sure you are researching traits on one of your characters (the one you might ever want to use crafting on eventually) as that takes almost a year of real life time in order to learn them all. You could always pay people to do your crafting for you, but if you're serious about the game there's no reason not to be able to do it yourself, it will save you a lot of hassle in the long run. It's just not something you need to care about until you're high level and trying to maximize your potential with the best possible gear.

I've found that to be kind of annoying, honestly. Makes it difficult to focus on one particular type of crafting, at least for equipment. My Provisioning, Alchemy, and Enchantment are all considerably higher than my equipment crafting skills, because you can focus on them without relying so much on inconsistent loot.

Somnia

Going to start playing again on PS4, going to start with a new character and work on him prior to Morrowind's launch.

Feel free to add me on PSN: Somnia

Matchew

Stupid question, but how do you deconstruct your equipment in this game?

oktarb

Stupid question, but how do you deconstruct your equipment in this game?

Go to the appropriate crafting table and Deconstruct is an option. Select it with square and the kill it with X. You can't to it on the fly away from a table.

I created 3 different characters when I started playing this, one for each faction because at the time you couldn't move around freely until much later in the game and I wanted to check out the different starting zones:

Wood Elf Archer/Thief
Dark Elf SpellSword
Breton Paladin

The problem is I kinda like all three characters but now it seems like a complete waste of time to continue playing all of them as I can freely move around and complete the same quests with a single character. They're all around level 10ish. I just can't decide which one I want to concentrate on.

MattyG

Banned
I want to jump back in, but this will be my 4th or 5th new character. I never make it past level 15, even though I love the game. Any tips on how to stay invested long term and not burn out?

And how is the Pro support compared to base PS4?

LiQuid!

To the 2 posts above: My advice is pick a character whose race you like the most and really "main" them to do everything. My Redguard Templar has been my main and practically only played character since I started but he has had stints in every role. If I ever get bored rather than rolling a new character, I just spend a few gold to respec and try something totally different.

I've been playing the game on and off for almost 2 years now and I just this week got my 2nd character to 50.

If you've only gotten characters that are level 15-ish or so though, you've practically touched the game at that point. Your drive to see more of it, more quests, more dungeons, more zones to explore, that should be what motivates you to keep going.

Aces&Eights

Anyone want to sell me a Seducer armor set?

I think I've hit a wall. Level 45 Champion and all of a sudden I'm getting wrecked. Also, when I get a new destruction staff, it will have, say, 1200 base damage and 2300 elemental. After a while, it drops down in numbers. Do I need to repair it? I thought I was going crazy but seen it happen a few times.

LiQuid!

Anyone want to sell me a Seducer armor set?

I think I've hit a wall. Level 45 Champion and all of a sudden I'm getting wrecked. Also, when I get a new destruction staff, it will have, say, 1200 base damage and 2300 elemental. After a while, it drops down in numbers. Do I need to repair it? I thought I was going crazy but seen it happen a few times.
Don't bother finalizing a build or buying sets until you hit cp160 when gear caps off.

The reason damage is going down is because of the way scaling works. From what I can gather, all gear when you are of appropriate level for it, scales to cp160, but as you start to outlevel it, the stats on it diminish. So if you're level 1 and using a level 1 weapon, it will have 1200 damage or whatever, but as you start to level up it gets down extremely low.

Aces&Eights

Don't bother finalizing a build or buying sets until you hit cp160 when gear caps off.

The reason damage is going down is because of the way scaling works. From what I can gather, all gear when you are of appropriate level for it, scales to cp160, but as you start to outlevel it, the stats on it diminish. So if you're level 1 and using a level 1 weapon, it will have 1200 damage or whatever, but as you start to level up it gets down extremely low.

Ahh, man I see! That sucks, lol. So if I need to wait for armor, what do I do in the meantime? Everything I can buy is half as good as my level it seems but I'm getting wrecked in some spots. I'm still wearing level 36 shoulder pads cause they are purple and give me a good magicka bonus. I need a set I would think to get all the bonuses for the 5 pieces. I'm this hodgepodge mage running around looking like an idiot.

I want to jump back in, but this will be my 4th or 5th new character. I never make it past level 15, even though I love the game. Any tips on how to stay invested long term and not burn out?

And how is the Pro support compared to base PS4?

Native 4K or 1080p enhance (Water reflections/god rays) tbh the clarity offered by 4K is more than worth the standard effects. 4K all they way.

The Elder Scrolls Online is one of the first games to support the new Sony PlayStation®4 Pro, which was released today worldwide. After downloading ESO to your new system, you'll be able to run ESO in native 4K resolution with the newly-supported 4K Mode! Even if you're not using a 4K screen, there's still benefits to playing ESO on a PlayStation®4 Pro. The PlayStation®4 Pro allows you to play in 1080p Enhanced Mode, which includes all of the graphical features available on the original PlayStation®4 and also includes graphical enhancements to ambient occlusion, water reflections, and improves shadow fidelity.

LiQuid!

The wife and I just started playing this and we were wondering if there is a NeoGAF guild we can join?

There's not. Here I'll quote my post from the last page.

The problem with the idea of starting a GAF guild is that the playerbase is spread out among 6+ different servers (3 available systems and then either NA or EU) so there's no way for us to form into one large group. This was even worse before One Tamriel when you basically had to be on the same faction as well. The game has never lended itself well to social grouping between regions.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever tried to start any GAF guilds when the game first launched, since I only started playing after the subscription was dropped, but it sounds like it would have been a logistical nightmare. Cross play would make it a lot better for international communities like ours to group up in game, but that will likely never happen.

My advice is try to join a large, active trading guild on your server. Everybody is going to want to join one (or 2, or 3, or 4) just for access to a highly trafficked guild traders anyways, but often the most active members in those guilds will organize groups for dungeons and trials.

Well last night I started messing with research and deconstruction. Let's just say that there's a lot more to these systems than I was expecting. Sometimes I forget this game's an MMO and not just an online Oblivion 2.

LiQuid!

Well last night I started messing with research and deconstruction. Let's just say that there's a lot more to these systems than I was expecting. Sometimes I forget this game's an MMO and not just an online Oblivion 2.

Like most systems in MMOs it seems very obtuse at first but once you're familiar with them they become second nature. At least you got started sooner rather than later cause research is a pain.

BizzyBum

There was a GAF guild at launch and was pretty active since it was new but it died pretty quickly.

Speaking of guilds, I'm not sure I like being able to join 5 guilds at once. It's cool to join guilds for specific things (PvP, PvE, trading, etc.) but on the other hand diminishes guild pride / loyalty.

LiQuid!

There was a GAF guild at launch and was pretty active since it was new but it died pretty quickly.

Speaking of guilds, I'm not sure I like being able to join 5 guilds at once. It's cool to join guilds for specific things (PvP, PvE, trading, etc.) but on the other hand diminishes guild pride / loyalty.
That's what tabbards are for! You rep whichever guild you're wearing a tabbard for. Tho I do think it should be like Guild Wars 2 where you can just pick a guild to rep without having to cover your armor up with a tabbard. The tabbards are cool and a neat idea but it would be better if there were more haraldry options.

Is there anything useful (deconstruction-wise) to do with spare amulets? Or just sell them?

I heard 2nd hand info that jewelry crafting has been in development for a while but as of right now all you can do is sell it.

Top Bottom