• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

This game can still surprise you in so many different ways. I knew that you could give your kids a pet dog with Hearthfire, and I did that.
But I come home to Falkreath from Windhelm after completing Summerset Shadows, and my daughter walks up to me with a live fox and asks if she can keep it.
A fox.
In the house.
I let her keep it.

JDdelphin

Meeko disappeared from my hearthfire house... He was there for a while, though everyone just called him 'stupid dog' whenever they saw him (even the kids, who asked to keep him) then he was just gone......

I have yet to check if he's back at his shack, but still...
I also can't seem to get my family to move to the house I made with more bedrooms and a kitchen from my first hearthfire house... oh well

Volimar

So I visited my home near Falkreath, and apparently the events waiting for me have stockpiled. I was collecting the herbs from my garden when I hear a dragon. I go looking for it and see it fighting (and losing) to a group of bandits and the respawning necromancer/conjurer near that altar. I even things out a bit and watch the dragon finish the rest of them off before dispatching the dragon and going to collect the spoils. That is when I find the body of Wood Cutter. Uh oh. Was this guy going to be a helpful alternative to having to use the mills? Poor guy never stood a chance in all that chaos.

Edit - Apparently Wood Cutter is a random dead body spawn, but I never saw him in that area before. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Wood_Cutter

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed to learn that.

Mad_Ban

So, I wanted to pop this into my PS3, but I've no idea how the patches have gone. Still freeze when I get in water, still slow down?

New patches should fix that, otherwise delete the patch data and reinstall the patch and it should sort itself out for a little bit. :)

This game can still surprise you in so many different ways. I knew that you could give your kids a pet dog with Hearthfire, and I did that.
But I come home to Falkreath from Windhelm after completing Summerset Shadows, and my daughter walks up to me with a live fox and asks if she can keep it.
A fox.
In the house.
I let her keep it.

They can ask you to keep a spider, too.

GhaleonEB

Working on the Daedric quests, on and off between bouts of home building. The main structures are complete, now I'm filling each room out one at a time. Not adding everything - that would be too much clutter. Mostly just bookshelves, lights and weapon racks.

It's a nice balance, destroying souls by day, building my home by night.

After I'm through with the Daedric quests and building the house, I'll work on some other missing Achievements, namely a certain crime spree across all of the holds.

One of the game's great pleasures: find a high, safe vantage point and snipe a guard with an arrow from very long range. Hide until safe, and then walk up and chat with said guard, while examining exactly where the arrow is jutting out of him.

Repeat until most of the guards have an arrow in them. Bonus points for tagging them in the knee.

GhaleonEB

How many hours have you put into Skyrim thus far?

Probably somewhere between 200-300 hours. I have no idea where in that range though; I might tally things up before I'm through, as I still have the old saves in the queue. (This game REALLY needs character slots.)

I didn't play from early this year to the present; the game sucked me in for four months hard and then I took a nice long break, only starting back up when 1) 343 deleted the one Halo playlist I enjoyed and 2) Hearthfire was released.

I'll probably put 40-50 hours into this character to knock off some Achievements and build the house. Then I'll wait for the (hopefully) full expansion to roll one last character for it.

Easily my game of this generation.

MrBig

Probably somewhere between 200-300 hours. I have no idea where in that range though; I might tally things up before I'm through, as I still have the old saves in the queue. (This game REALLY needs character slots.)

I didn't play from early this year to the present; the game sucked me in for four months hard and then I took a nice long break, only starting back up when 1) 343 deleted the one Halo playlist I enjoyed and 2) Hearthfire was released.

I'll probably put 40-50 hours into this character to knock off some Achievements and build the house. Then I'll wait for the (hopefully) full expansion to roll one last character for it.

Damn.
Skyrim really changed the way I play games. I played over 100 hours in just a few weeks, with at least 2 overnighers. Since then I've never played a game for more than a couple hours a day. Really enjoying playing games more now, but playing through skyrim was great while it lasted, and I'll probably revisit it after its final DLC.

JDdelphin

In 'those wacky daedric artifacts and their wacky ways' category...

I had Volendrung equipped on a follower (Female Orc) just because that seemed like the right thing to do, so we ran around awhile and did some quests I gave her a bunch of stuff from my inventory to make room and she switches weapons and armors around as I do it (like usual and I don't even think about it) only after I get everything back to sell it Volendrung isn't there anymore.

Sadness.

`

I only got it in June, but I've put at least 100 hours in since then. I love it so much, definitely my game of the generation as well.

In 'those wacky daedric artifacts and their wacky ways' category...

I had Volendrung equipped on a follower (Female Orc) just because that seemed like the right thing to do, so we ran around awhile and did some quests I gave her a bunch of stuff from my inventory to make room and she switches weapons and armors around as I do it (like usual and I don't even think about it) only after I get everything back to sell it Volendrung isn't there anymore.

Sadness.

`

Followers have a bug where they switch back their default weapons and that nukes whatever was in their hands. It probably vanished awhile ago and you didn't notice until you were trying to get stuff back.

If you can access the console, pull it down and type:
help "Volendrung" 4

That shows the Item ID#

Then type:
player.additem <itemid> 1

which will add 1 Volendrung to your inventory.

Raptomex

I don't want to start a new playthrough until some more DLC is released. I must just say fuck it and start over again anyway.

JDdelphin

Followers have a bug where they switch back their default weapons and that nukes whatever was in their hands. It probably vanished awhile ago and you didn't notice until you were trying to get stuff back.

If you can access the console, pull it down and type:
help "Volendrung" 4

That shows the Item ID#

Then type:
player.additem <itemid> 1

which will add 1 Volendrung to your inventory.

Yeah... I asked my xbox to do that. It gave me the look that a dog gives you when you ask it to solve for the square root of tacos. Then it exploded.

I really appreciate the help though, I'm just resigned to let stuff glitch as it may and I can make up reasons for it later... Or not.

Borgakh Steel Heart just bit the big one in a dragon battle in the courtyard of Winterhold.
I just told her to go home so I could do some running around with J to the Zargo- we all exit the building... DRAGOOOOOON. She was chomped and shaken like a ragdoll to death right before everyone killed it.

(So I'm saying she stole it and this was Orc-karma)

Funniest thing about that whole situation- as the dragon was circling and randomly spraying stuff I could hear an angry dremora lord. I knew the unbound dremora I summoned was still up there enjoying the view (forever I guess) - and thought it was funny he was up on the ledges taking swipes at the dragon.

HOWEVER the dragon is slain, Borgakh is the only casualty, and it's the usual 'whoa holy crap we could have died everybody that was involved gathers around the dragon carcass' moment. Nelorien, Gestor, Onmund, all milling together to form a row muttering stuff on the one side with a few on the other- only the unbound dremora walks up next to Onmund like it's no big deal just having that moment with the rest.

"Times like this really makes an evil monster thing sit back and take a moment to think, don't you agree puny meatsack weakling filth creature?"

Like a real special moment- complete with double takes.

Gestor: "I never thought I would see this day."

Onmund: "I can't believe it, a dragon."

Dremora: "Yeah, that's messed up."

Onmund: "For real, I-"

file.php

Atruvius

Bought Skyrim a few hours ago on my PC. I am the very beginning but dang this game looks so weird with a smooth framerate.

What are the must have mods should I install? I have been eyeing the modding thread but it's full of different mods.

Bought Skyrim a few hours ago on my PC. I am the very beginning but dang this game looks so weird with a smooth framerate.

What are the must have mods should I install? I have been eyeing the modding thread but it's full of different mods.

See this Reddit post for "essential, must have" Skyrim mods: http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/zw55w/a_detailed_list_with_links_and_explanations_to/

I know its Reddit, but its well formatted. I'm making a revised version to post too, but this list should keep you very busy =) Not all are essential to download, but its a good list to go through and pick and choose =)

Atruvius

cdyhybrid

I can't convince myself to spend $5 on Hearthfire. Not interested in the whole adoption thing and I want to build a fortress, not a house. I await the mods that come out of this.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'd wait. If you're not tired of Skyrim after you've tried everything, then get Dawnguard. There's more than enough content in the game already.
This. I put 111 hours into Skyrim and have completed like 40% of the game. Most of that is sidequesting, too. I kind of want to see what is in Dawnguard, but I haven't even seen the storyline of Skyrim.

Who will be in charge of making the |OT 3| thread for Skyrim? We are nearing the 400 page/20,000 post mark.

I can do it if no one else wants to =)

Edit: Also, if you play Skyrim on the PC, I'd recommend picking up Dawnguard. A lot of new mods are based with Dawnguard assets as a requirement. If you still enjoy playing Skyrim, its money well spent. Main quest is forgettable, but still cool to complete/explore/do.

Atruvius

Downloaded a bunch of mods and then I couldn't get past the main menu. "WET.somethingsomething is missing" or something like that. Does it have something to do with W.A.T.E.R.?

Uninstalled mods from NMM. That didn't help, so I deleted all the mods from NMM and got into game but I was buggy. I deleted Skyrim and am downloading it again.

Maybe Mod Organizer would work better? I won't need NMM if I have Mod Organizer, right?

Just picked up SKyrim at GMG for $27, is dawnguard actually worth getting?

you need to get dawnguard if you want the dragonbone weapons and the crossbow. (though it may not matter much when you are first starting out because you have to have a maxed out smithing skill to get the perk to create dragon weapons and armor anyway...

that's the main reason why I bought it.

not worried about the random vampire killings of npc's because it only happens when you enter towns at night, and I never do that, as I usually will reset to daytime before i enter a town so i can see the blacksmiths and other merchants.

plus every time you enter a town either through fast travel or through a gate, i believe you get an autosave.

turns out that this random npc killing worry was kinda unfounded. though a warning would have been nice in the beginning, you can always backtrack if you save often. which is the first rule of skyrim (and any other bethesda game) in general

JDdelphin

Ha I was just about to say, I just went through a slaughter in Ivarstead...

"Klimmek! I delivered that stuff like you asked me toooooooooooooooooooh my goddddd!!!!"
Klimmek and the remaining Fellstar family all dead by the time it was all over.

I totally wasn't expecting it.

Who will be in charge of making the |OT 3| thread for Skyrim? We are nearing the 400 page/20,000 post mark.

I can do it if no one else wants to =)

I'll put it up if I'm here when that point gets reached, otherwise I'll ask someone else. Thanks for offering, though.

We're not quite there yet.

Was going to wait till i finished Mass Effect 3 (starting it today) and skyrim goes down to about $30 to buy it. but after hearing this, fuck that. I think i'll buy sooner.

Are the people actually human who creates songs like this? Jesus.

Was going to wait till i finished Mass Effect 3 (starting it today) and skyrim goes down to about $30 to buy it. but after hearing this, fuck that. I think i'll buy sooner.

Barely human. Man I want to play this game again after hearing that song...

Ha I was just about to say, I just went through a slaughter in Ivarstead...

"Klimmek! I delivered that stuff like you asked me toooooooooooooooooooh my goddddd!!!!"
Klimmek and the remaining Fellstar family all dead by the time it was all over.

I totally wasn't expecting it.
wat? Context pls.

Oh, you left out the best ones. The main theme, "Dragon Fight", and "Dragonsreach" are all much better.

NBtoaster

Listening to the soundtrack makes me want to play again. But I've really soured on a lot of things in the game since I last played, hard to remember the good things.

cdyhybrid

Where can I buy the sound track?

Off the top of my head I can't remember if Amazon had it.
Really makes me sad.

Definitely love the music.
Love it.

cdyhybrid

Aahhhh, can't decide on what character to play now.

Nord using Heavy Armor + Two-Handed Swords and shouts only. Just a walking meat grinder.

OR

Khajiit that uses Stealth and Illusion/Destruction magic along with a spear and Light Armor if things get too hairy.

I can't help but always do one large playthrough where i do everything with a character that specializes in stealth, archery, destruction magic, and one-handed...

it's almost too easy now to just one hit everybody with a stealth arrow to the head(or knee)

I finally got to sit down and play Skyrim last night for the first time and it blew me away. The music and atmosphere are incredible so far. I've barely started the game, but I have a strong feeling I'm going to enjoy this much more than I did Oblivion. So far the game feels more like Morrowind than Oblivion. If it stays that way I will likely swoon over this game to an embarrassing degree.

Slermy

Aahhhh, can't decide on what character to play now.

Nord using Heavy Armor + Two-Handed Swords and shouts only. Just a walking meat grinder.

I have a character like this. Doesn't use magic, doesn't trust potions. Tends to eat a lot of food to heal...

OR

Khajiit that uses Stealth and Illusion/Destruction magic along with a spear and Light Armor if things get too hairy.

I actually like the second type. Much more my playstyle. Swap Destruction for Conjuration, and you have my current build. So many options, keeps encounters fresh.

Top Bottom