• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash reviews are in

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
55u3vS8.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
Honestly I'm kinda shocked this is happening.

First reactions seemed great, reviews were okay, there seemed to be quite a bit of hype online and it didnt't really have that stink of "immediate flop" like Black Adam had.

And then the movie gets released and no one goes to see it. O and it's shit. And the special effects are dogshit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

First reactions seemed great, reviews were okay, there seemed to be quite a bit of hype online and it didnt't really have that stink of "immediate flop" like Black Adam had.

And then the movie gets released and no one goes to see it. O and it's shit. And the special effects are dogshit.
I dont think Flash is the kind of hero people will spend $1B worth of tickets to see. He's a secondary superhero. At best it might get lucky and do Antman numbers. I dont think middling sales has anything to do with Miller being wacko off set. Most people dont even know or care about his offset antics.

Just to show that the character isn't important, when I saw the trailer on TV all they showed was Keaton as Batman and Superman whizzing through the sky. I dont think they showed Flash once.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I would have loved to see Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Thomas Wayne Batman but alas.

Ill set sail for the seas when the blu ray version comes out, already seen all the spoilers anyway.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'm about to see it. Only care about the not beating Zod part, I want to see the struggle. Every Capeshit movie is the bad guy gets beat by the good guy and it's boring as fuck.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Nah the FX are shit on PURPOSE

“The idea, of course, is...we are in the perspective of the Flash. Everything is distorted in terms of lights and textures.”

Can you argue with that PUSSY?!

354227280_2255913767913969_7301775115450173606_n.jpg

FACT IS ASSHOLES IS THAT THIS FILM IS 10 MORBS OUTTA 10 MORBS. Y'ALL CAN FUCK OFF!!!!!!!!

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This is a surprise, I don't tend to bother with superhero stuff anymore, but I thought this had some super buzz about it.

Saw it yesterday and yeah, stand by my earlier comment that it was mid. But also a bit fun.

I think the thing that annoyed me the most, besides some hand-wavy timeline/universe shenanigans, was the fact that Keaton's Bruce Wayne become some sort of crazy hermit. It felt like a completely different version of Keaton's Batman, like it didn't even track with how that character might have turned out. If anything, he would've quit being Batman and settled down with Catwoman or Viki Vale.

Last edited:

yazenov

Good. Ezra Miller shouldn't be rewarded for being a piece of shit human being. He should not get any movie roles going forward since he is not a draw at the box office.

VulcanRaven

Its sad that Keaton filmed scenes for both Batgirl and Aquaman 2 and we are not going to see those. They later reshot those Aquaman 2 scenes with Affleck but there were rumors some time ago that those were removed too.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Seems to be reviewing OK, but man I'm tired of multi-verse shit for these cape films.

Give me grounded origin films all day over this shit lol

jason10mm

Gold Member
I disagree with this (and concur with the poster you're quoting). Captain Marvel was 'too much' for me in the MCU, as an obviously broken OP character that couldn't be defeated. She removed what little 'grounding' the MCU had, and it was clear that multiple directors had no idea what to do with her. In Endgame they had to find a reason for her to not be around and just 'win', and even Thanos souped up with the gauntlet struggled with her. Superman-like characters absolutely break these kinds of live action 'universe' series. DC could pull it off in cartoons because of the added layer of non-realism; it was easier to suspend disbelief.
Agreed, Superman is a force of nature, very hard to write around him directly. I like him like hiw they have used Wonder Woman in the last few films, she shows up, does her thing, then fucks off to wherever.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think the thing that annoyed me the most, besides some hand-wavy timeline/universe shenanigans, was the fact that Keaton's Bruce Wayne become some sort of crazy hermit. It felt like a completely different version of Keaton's Batman,

Writers don't really know what to do with Batman when he gets past a certain age. Nolan screwed it up, and so does The Flash. Both going for the lonely hermit angle.

The truth is Batman would carry on being Batman until somebody eventually killed him. That's kind of the point of the character's psychology.

The whole 'I've stopped crime in Gotham so I retired' schtick is bollocks. He'd keep going out every night to just take on low level robbers and violent criminals, until someone got lucky, and topped him.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Writers don't really know what to do with Batman when he gets past a certain age. Nolan screwed it up, and so does The Flash. Both going for the lonely hermit angle.

The truth is Batman would carry on being Batman until somebody eventually killed him. That's kind of the point of the character's psychology.

The whole 'I've stopped crime in Gotham so I retired' schtick is bollocks. He'd keep going out every night to just take on low level robbers and violent criminals, until someone got lucky, and topped him.
Dunno, Batman's a bit looney in some current batman stories also... 👀

Fortress1_3_628d94cb0a7b50.42161565.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member

Agreed. It would kill him (emotionally) if he was physically unable to patrol.

This is why Batman Beyond is the natural evolution of the character. He MUST pass on the mantle (and the various sidekicks never quite measured up or were killed).

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Seems to be reviewing OK, but man I'm tired of multi-verse shit for these cape films.

Give me grounded origin films all day over this shit lol
Fuck that, that's the core problem of Capeshit. We don't need more spoon feeding the normies. This movie is a perfectly serviceable "Jump in, jump out." As long as you have some surface level knowledge that's all you need to enjoy it. I tire of Western media consumers being groomed into wanting a "universe" all you watch movies for with that mind set is the fucking post credits scene, nothing in the actual movie matters.

The CGI was bad but otherwise this is more in line what I come to comics for, an unfamiliar world with new character interaction and the hard reality that some things you just can't win. I have zero nostalgia for MK as Batman but god damn he IS the best Batman, his on screen presence and charisma is just unrivalled. Supergirl isn't a boss chick and despite being a plot device has a few good scenes, I'd be happy to see more of her. When she recites what Barry said to her when they tried to save her earlier in the movie, it was a good moment.

Ezra Miller is a fucking Psycho but unfortunately he can act when he needs to and does a good enough job here. If James Gunn can maintain the tone of seriousness with sprinkles of comedy like this film has I'm more willing to pay to see Capeshit again regularly.

EDIT: Also there's no implication this is the Burtonverse, but if that's the logic is Barry in the Schumakerverse at the end of the movie? Dumb way to think of it tbh. It's just a returning actor.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't read much into which batman actor they use. The Keaton parts didn't really look like '89, other than the batmobile and the suit. None of the architecture or any of that was different than the nolanverse on "real world" look. So Clooney just took the part instead of Kilmer (obviously harder to do) or Bale. Heck, I would have LOVED it to be Kevin Conroy but alas we lost him already. It's just an easter egg for the fans, like the Nic Cage superman fighting the giant spider (was it the same one from IT?).

stn

Question, and please forgive my ignorance in advance as I'm legitimately curious with this question. Why is Ezra Miller identifying as trans (i.e. they/them) without actually being trans? From what I understand, he is gay but not trans. Isn't this disrespectful to the trans community?

Fbh

Question, and please forgive my ignorance in advance as I'm legitimately curious with this question. Why is Ezra Miller identifying as trans (i.e. they/them) without actually being trans? From what I understand, he is gay but not trans. Isn't this disrespectful to the trans community?

As far as I know he identifies as "non binary" (neither male nor female), not trans.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Trans is not they/them, that's non-binary.

I thought the movie was ok, I think people just wanna hate. It was just as ok as Top Gun 2 was for me.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Dunno, Batman's a bit looney in some current batman stories also... 👀

Fortress1_3_628d94cb0a7b50.42161565.jpg
Batman takes out violent criminals who kill and maim or get things that kill and maim. Not common rioters.

Name an issue when he got into a crowd of rioters and subdued them. I'll wait.

Ulysses 31

Batman takes out violent criminals who kill and maim or get things that kill and maim. Not common rioters.

Name an issue when he got into a crowd of rioters and subdued them. I'll wait.
The issue is more that he assumes the stores are insured and that they'll recoup (most of) the losses while in reality, those kinds of riots can destroy communities.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
You do realize Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, one of the most acclaimed Batman comics ever, had political commentary in it as well, right?
But complaining about 80s Regan Era politics is kinda like saying Robin hood is political because he fights a sheriff.

Nok Su Kow

If Keaton had agreed to play Batman again WB should have just paid Tim Burton whatever he wanted and made Batman 3

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yeah, nah. Crime is crime. If Batman can stop it, he will. He absolutely would stop rioters destroying someone’s livelihood.

No he wouldn't. He never has. That may be your head canon but it isn't found in any pages of the comics. A riot where people are being targeted? He probably would. Lives over property. That's ALWAYS been his MO. Things can be replaced, lives can't. That's always been his moral code.

jason10mm

Gold Member
No he wouldn't. He never has. That may be your head canon but it isn't found in any pages of the comics. A riot where people are being targeted? He probably would. Lives over property. That's ALWAYS been his MO. Things can be replaced, lives can't. That's always been his moral code.
I'm pretty sure batman '66 is almost ENTIRELLY about batman stopping theft and property crime (and a good dose of kidnappings for ransom, true). That batman would ABSOLUTELY stop a riot/looting as he was Mr. Civic Order.

Naturally, being made in the mid 60s there is an agenda there as well....

Top Bottom