• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Staab

To anyone who might care, the Giant Bomb F1 podcast (Alt-F1, I think?) is now free and not just available to premium subscribers. I don't know what it's like, but could be something okay to pass the time?
Oh, fuck yes !
I loved it when they did a couple of free episodes, looking forward to adding that to my F1 week-end sum-up routine.

How is the upgrade situation going to be for Red Bull? They basically own the engines and can apply upgrades themselves, right? They're already using a different exhaust solution than Renault.

Aiii

So not worth it
How is the upgrade situation going to be for Red Bull? They basically own the engines and can apply upgrades themselves, right? They're already using a different exhaust solution than Renault.

Honestly, I'm not really sure. I believe the power unit is still Renault, but everything around it isn't and can be modified as they see fit (within the rules)?

Theorry

Honestly, I'm not really sure. I believe the power unit is still Renault, but everything around it isn't and can be modified as they see fit (within the rules)?

Abit. What is good for them must be good for Renault works team also.
Only Red Bull managed to get Ilmor in the picture to work with Renault on the engine. Tag Heuer is just abit of smoke. It's better for both parties if they keep a distance from each other after all the things that happened between them. PR wise.

Staab

I can barely believe we're back on tour starting tomorrow, even better we're about 12hours out from first practice... dayum it flew by.
Please be a good season, please be a good season, please be a good season...
(read: no mercedes domination)

Aiii

So not worth it
I can barely believe we're back on tour starting tomorrow, even better we're about 12hours out from first practice... dayum it flew by.
Please be a good season, please be a good season, please be a good season...
(read: no mercedes domination)

For what it's worth
(nothing at all)
, Hamilton said at the drivers press conference that he believes that Ferrari played possum over testing and is in fact a lot closer to them than they've led us to believe.

Zeknurn

Wolff, Rosberg and Hamilton have all been doing their fake hype tour because they need people to not lose interest even quicker than last season.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
CdwX5eMUEAAd3BN.jpg:large

Mastah

Pirelli can't even make shitty tyres now:

Pirelli's plan to bring back the 'cliff' in tyre performance to Formula 1 in 2016 "didn't work", according to its motorsport boss Paul Hembery.

"That was the theory, that's what we were trying to do, but it hasn't worked at the level we wanted," he said.

"We haven't seen the difference in terms of a cliff.

Williams chief technical officer Pat Symonds said his team could not tell a difference between the tyre drop-off in 2016 compared to last year.

"It's quite peculiar," he said. "We went to Barcelona and thought 'well, let's see what we've got'.

"We ran some tyres really a long way down and we didn't actually detect the cliff of performance.

"We honestly can't see the difference between this year's tyre and last year's.

"If we look at the specification that Pirelli has given us, as we get to this underlayer, it should be really low grip.

"But we're not feeling it, we don't understand why, and I don't think it's just us.
"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123294/pirelli-tyre-cliff-plan-didnt-work

5 fucking years of experience and they can't reintroduce awful cliff in their tyres? How can anyone expect that these clowns are able to produce proper racing tyres for 2017?

Ridiculously narrow temperature window, no grip in tyres, even though they are falling apart when pushed for more than 1 lap, blow ups in circumstances tyres from other manufacturers coped with no problems, tyre regulations and limits unheard of in F1 before 2011 and now Pirelli doesn't understand why cliff they tried to bring back is not there. But yeah, wider tyres surviving laptimes up to 5 second per lap faster than now are totally doable, lol.

Goldrusher

Red Bull are to use their Formula One expertise to help British sportscar makers Aston Martin produce a ground-breaking new ‘hypercar’ for the road.

The ‘innovation partnership’ will see Red Bull Racing’s Chief Technical Officer, Adrian Newey, and Aston Martin’s Chief Creative Officer, Marek Reichman, collaborate on project ‘AM-RB 001’, which will combine cutting-edge F1 technology with Aston Martin’s signature design.

To celebrate the partnership, Red Bull Racing’s F1 cars will carry the iconic Aston Martin wings logo throughout the 2016 season, making their debut at this weekend’s Australian round at Albert Park in Melbourne.

“This is a very exciting project for everyone at Red Bull Racing,” said team principal Christian Horner. “Through this Innovation Partnership the iconic Aston Martin logo will return to Grand Prix racing for the first time since 1960, and Red Bull Advanced Technologies, led by Adrian, will be using Formula One DNA to produce the ultimate of all road cars.”

https://www.formula1.com/content/fo.../3/red-bull-announce-aston-martin-tie-up.html

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/03/17/red-bull-aston-martin/

dubc35

Ha, wasn't Aston rumored to supply Force India with engines this year? Quite the change.

So this will be the Red Bull X2016?

Azzawon

I know it's gaming related, but some of the community guys who got to test F1 2016 have confirmed the return of Career Mode and the Safety Car in this year's game. Woo!

saucy

kvk1

CM can't lose the F1 license fast enough.

Those games never stopped being broken in major and unfixed ways, and have gotten progressively watered down in features with each release.

Zeknurn

Well to be fair to Codemasters, they showed that they were able to create the best rally game since RBR with Dirt Rally. I have a feeling FOM is a big reason why the F1 games turn out like they do.

kvk1

I've bought every single one of those games since their 2010 acquisition of the license, because I'm a sucker.

There hasn't been a single one where there wasn't some combination of tire/fuel/AI bugs that pretty much ruined the game for anyone not looking to purely multiplayer or run races at 10% length or something.

Nothing against their other titles though, CM makes some badass rally games.

Love this part for Haas.

Haas promise to bring some good ol’ American know-how to Formula 1, straight from their factory in the proud American state of Oxfordshire where the Italian chassis and Italian engine are put together ready for their French and Mexican drivers.
There's nothing more American these days than outsourcing labor and manufacturing to other countries. Just thank god the engine isn't made in China with Vietnamese and Pakistani drivers.

Mohonky

Wolff, Rosberg and Hamilton have all been doing their fake hype tour because they need people to not lose interest even quicker than last season.

So was Lauda. It remains to be seen though whether they are closer. If you listen to the drivers and team execs at Merc, they all seem to think Ferrari are right there on them pretty much.

But at the same time we've heard that before so we won't really have a clue till Saturday Quali and the race on Sunday as to whether Merc really are sandbagging hard or Ferrari did in fact sort it out. Ferrari were definitely very close at points throughout last year but at the same time, Merc seemed to be pissing about abit toward the end of the season also, I don't think they've really shown the performance of the engine they actually brought out for the end of last year much less whatever they were doing in the off season.

I will kind laugh though if Merc come out and annihilate everyone again.

tomtom94

I know what the problem is, you guys don't know about the new deal: basically, if you aren't subscribed to Sky Sports then you only get half the OT posts. Aiii and I have just been chatting shit in it for the last week now, it's great.

dubc35

I know what the problem is, you guys don't know about the new deal: basically, if you aren't subscribed to Sky Sports then you don't get half the OT posts. Aiii and I have just been chatting shit in it for the last week now, it's great.

ha, the OT really was copyright infringement and taken down by FOM!

Ruruja

Almost theeeere.

I was looking through the liveries on F1Fanatic earlier and good grief Haas really blew it, what a grim livery.

Chris R

Almost theeeere.

I was looking through the liveries on F1Fanatic earlier and good grief Haas really blew it, what a grim livery.

If the car is good, who cares what the thing looks like. I'd rather they focus on the stuff that makes it go fast first, and worry about making it look good second.

Fox Mulder

If the car is good, who cares what the thing looks like. I'd rather they focus on the stuff that makes it go fast first, and worry about making it look good second.

It's not like the engineers are designing the liveries too though.

It's a spectator sport where people stare at cars. Of course ones that look boring will be hated on.

Line_HTX

Is the green flag actually midnight Saturday morning or midnight Sunday morning?

Also, what in the hell are those new front wings design?

Chris R

Is the green flag actually midnight Saturday morning or midnight Sunday morning?

Midnight Sunday morning if you are in the Central Time Zone (just after Saturday finishes and as Sunday is beginning, in case midnight Sunday doesn't actually mean 12:00 AM on Sunday)

Top Bottom