• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake wins the best horror game of 2023 at Horror Game Awards

Draugoth

Gold Member
re4.jpg

After the first day of big reveals, Feardemic’s Fear Fest 2023 concluded last night with the Horror Game Awards. Spread across 13 categories (and one lifetime achievement award), the big winner last night was Capcom’s Resident Evil 4 remake.

The acclaimed remake of the 2005 classic nabbed all five of its nominated categories, including Horror Game of The Year. Meanwhile, Capcom’s other Resident Evil title, Resident Evil Village, snagged the award for Best VR/AR Horror.

The title closest to equaling RE4‘s total wins was rose-engine’s Alien-esque Survival Horror title Signalis, which snagged the awards for Best Narrative of the Year and Best Indie Horror of the Year.

Meanwhile, the Horror Game Awards’ Lifetime Achievement Award went to Mikael Hedberg, lead writer for the upcoming Alone in the Dark remake, as well as Amnesia: Rebirth and SOMA.
  • Best Game Design of the Year: Resident Evil 4 Remake
  • Best Score/ Soundtrack of the Year: Resident Evil 4 Remake
  • Best Audio Design of the Year: Dead Space Remake
  • Best Horror Trailer of the Year: Silent Hill 2 Remake
  • Best Performance of the Year: Nick Apostolides (Resident Evil 4 Remake)
  • Best VR/AR Horror of the Year: Resident Evil Village
  • Best Horror Multiplayer of the Year: The Outlast Trials
  • Best Horror Content Creator of the Year: The Sphere Hunter
  • Best Narrative of the Year: Signalis
  • Best Indie Horror of the Year: Signalis
  • Best Art Direction of the Year: Scorn
  • Best Character of the Year: Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 4 Remake)
  • Horror Game of The Year: Resident Evil 4 Remake
  • Lifetime Achievement Award: Mikael Hedberg (Alone in the Dark, Amnesia: Rebirth, SOMA) – Lead Writer

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Remakes creates a lot of jobs no issue there but what happens when I want to fire up an old game with a new system? Backwards compatibility is a feature gamers would be all over.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m not sure what else has been released, but I love RE4 and am not a fan of horror games in the slightest so this comes off as weird to me. It’s more of an horror-themed action game.

Alex11

Lol, horror, ok, sure.

There were some light horror vibes at the start and throughout the first half and that one short section in the castle, but the second half is non stop action, especially the whole final location, that was straight COD.
Amazing game up until that point. It isn't in the same league as Dead Space, horror wise.

Arachnid

OG is my all time favorite game and the remake was just as good.

That said, it winning a horror game award is kind of dumb. It doesn't even try to be scary. It should have been Signalis or Dead Space.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me its between Dead Space and RE4R, they both are excellent.........long live 3rd person survival horror game.

Alan Wake

It's 10/10. But it's more action than horror to be honest. A shame we didn't get a contest between RE4R, AW2 and AitD.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Now let's have it win a couple of Game of the Year awards like it deserves.

Alan Wake

As much as I like the game and I like it a lot, it still remake of existing game. In my opinion GOTY should be for new entry and not remakes.
I'm a bit torn on this. Yes, it's not a completely new game but on the other hand it's a bit different from the original. And an amazing game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm a bit torn on this. Yes, it's not a completely new game but on the other hand it's a bit different from the original. And an amazing game.
It is a great game but it’s still remake of existing game, I want to see new entry get rewarded rather than remakes.

Last edited:

Hudo

Don't take me the wrong way, RE4 is awesome.... as an action game. I never felt particularly scared while playing the original or the remake. Maybe stressed. But it's the same kind of stress I felt while playing Doom or something like that.

So... I dunno, if RE4 is the best horror game this year then this says a lot about the current state of horror games, I guess.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Don't take me the wrong way, RE4 is awesome.... as an action game. I never felt particularly scared while playing the original or the remake. Maybe stressed. But it's the same kind of stress I felt while playing Doom or something like that.

So... I dunno, if RE4 is the best horror game this year then this says a lot about the current state of horror games, I guess.
I'm not quite sure what about it makes if qualified as a horror game either. Dark-themed action at best. Monsters, violence and blood are all in there, sure, but is that really horror? Monsters are in lots of games.

It feels like the nepotism of game genres.

killatopak

I'm not quite sure what about it makes if qualified as a horror game either. Dark-themed action at best. Monsters, violence and blood are all in there, sure, but is that really horror? Monsters are in lots of games.

It feels like the nepotism of game genres.
I mean horror is a very diverse genre. I can simply label it as body horror and it would stick.

Re4 is amazing but it’s not scary one bit.
I have yet to play it. Last time I played RE4 was the GC version lol. RE stopped being scary at RE4. RE7 though finally went back to actual horror. RE4 is just more of a solid action "horror" game than anything else.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have yet to play it. Last time I played RE4 was the GC version lol. RE stopped being scary at RE4. RE7 though finally went back to actual horror. RE4 is just more of a solid action "horror" game than anything else.
RE4 has its moments that keep you on edge and can absolutely be considered scary. I mean shit, the regenerators, that stuff is intense.

Scares are different for everyone. I like rofif rofif but dude comes hard with blanket statements 🤣😅

bender

What time is it?
TIL about Stasis: Bone Totem. Buying that shit on Steam tonight. Thank you!

Don't buy it on Steam. It's part of bundle on Humble currently for $13.

You also get a GOAT in Pathologic 2.

Last edited:
RE4 has its moments that keep you on edge and can absolutely be considered scary. I mean shit, the regenerators, that stuff is intense.

Scares are different for everyone. I like rofif rofif but dude comes hard with blanket statements 🤣😅
Don't be hard on the guy. He has the Forspokenitism disease. It makes you kore retarded than you already are :p

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Yeah, exactly. I like what they did with the Ashley sequence which was very different from the original. That was tense. But RE4 isn't really scary.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Signalis and Fatal Frame are better horror games. RE4 is just a 3rd Person Shooter with Inventory management.

Best Horror game to date is still Alien Isolation.

I still think it's my game of the year. Finishing it gave me that empty kind of feeling. Like a 'what do I do now?!' Absolutely loved it and will jump into a new game plus over Christmas when I've got some time off work.

Top Bottom