• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Geek Critique | NINTENDO WII U: The Legacy of the Loser

Hunter 99

Wii u was awesome,I got it a year after release and played zombi u,project zero,donkey kong,mario 3d and mario kart 8 all before they were on switch so was worth every penny.
Didn't get my switch until 2019 and they was purely for zelda and luigis mansion 3.
Hope mine doesn't stop working though,I tested it about a month ago and all seems fine but worried I'm gonna have to do that backup thing if it bricks itself at one point...

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Ah, the WiiU. The most cumbersome hardware ever since the days of the Sega Tower of Power. Still, what a library. And while the PS was ridiculously slow, the interface was miles better than the Switch’s. That, and the Pro Controller.

nush

Gold Member
Ah, the WiiU. The most cumbersome hardware ever since the days of the Sega Tower of Power. Still, what a library. And while the PS was ridiculously slow, the interface was miles better than the Switch’s. That, and the Pro Controller.

Best and final Virtual Console.

LakeOf9

YouTubers trying to be edgy by shitting on something for views not realizing it was a great system.
Given how roundly and thoroughly it was rejected by the market, it was self evidently not a "great system", other than managing to appeal to a very small niche of dedicated nerds

It was a failure that was abandoned by the market, abandoned by publishers, abandoned by developers, and abandoned by Nintendo themselves the first chance they got. That didn't happen because it was secretly a great system and everyone else was too stupid to tell, it happened because unless you fell in a very specifically defined narrow niche, the Wii U was garbage.

Just like the Vita.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Ngl, Nintendoland had no right to be as good as it was for a "platform showcase launchgame".
Nintendoland was awesome. I had so much fun with both the single player and multiplayer. The Donkey Kong game, Yoshi’s Fruit Cart, Animal Crossing Sweetest Day, and the Metroid game were the stand outs for me.

My friend and his wife would always come over to have some drinks and play 4 player Animal Crossing, everyone got so into it. Especially his wife, who barely ever played video games before.

It’s a shame Nintendo fucked up basically every aspect of this system. The asymmetrical local multiplayer + dual screen stuff had so much potential.

Robb

Gold Member
I enjoyed the WiiU quite a bit. Although I wouldn’t really put it anywhere close to being a favorite when it comes to neither software nor hardware personally..

Looking back, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Splatoon, Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8 were probably my highlights.

But I’m a big Mario fan and more New Super Mario Bros. Wasn’t really what I wanted. Mario Maker didn’t capture my attention much. And Super Mario 3D World is one of my least favorite 3D Mario games ever..

To add to that Star Fox Zero was awful. Paper Mario was still going in the wrong direction with less and less personality. Animal Crossing was demoted to an Amiibo game. The only sign we got from Metroid was in NintendoLand and the one original Zelda turned out to be more of a Switch game than a WiiU game.

It’s good reminder of how much better the Switch is in pretty much every regard.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Developers had to be inventive with the use of the gamepad so the games were immediately more exciting. The internet browser and miiverse were really good so it ended up being such a fun, all in one entertainment system. Local multiplayer is also 👌 🔥

Pure gaming.

Last edited:
Wii U was a ton of fun. Maybe only 10 million people knew it, but it's still true. While people were sitting on years of drought during the early PS4 years, I was playing multiple 10/10 games with unique controller functions and creative new IP like Zombi U or Splatoon. MiiVerse is still ahead of every other system's social features. Virtual console was better than Switch, and worked wonderfully on just the controller screen. Pro controller battery lasted for months. The system had it all.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Wii U was a ton of fun. Maybe only 10 million people knew it, but it's still true. While people were sitting on years of drought during the early PS4 years, I was playing multiple 10/10 games with unique controller functions and creative new IP like Zombi U or Splatoon. MiiVerse is still ahead of every other system's social features. Virtual console was better than Switch, and worked wonderfully on just the controller screen. Pro controller battery lasted for months. The system had it all.

Gamepad TV remote function, I saved so much time not looking for my actual remote that had fallen down between the cushions on the couch and just grab the gamepad off the dock. Didn't even need to switch on the Wii U to use it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Man, I had so much fun sharing and commenting on people’s drawings on Miiverse in the early days. And yeah honestly I think it got more play time than my PS4 or Xbox One. Splatoon, MK8, Super Mario 3D World, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Smash Bros, Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed, Xenoblade X, Super Mario Maker…

What a cool little machine, I had so many good memories. And TBH I really miss the gimmicks! I’ll be disappointed if Switch 2 is “same thing but more powerful”

bender

What time is it?
Still have mine but the plastic in my Gamepad creaks which exposes one of the bigger flaws of the system in that you can't easily replace the controller.

nush

Gold Member
Still have mine but the plastic in my Gamepad creaks which exposes one of the bigger flaws of the system in that you can't easily replace the controller.

My screen went yellow. Easy enough to just buy a whole Wii U for cheap rather than repairing the screen.

However I'm saying it again as I have for years, this console is going to be a Nintendo collectable like the Virtual Boy. Right now it's hardware and software prices are as cheap as they will ever be.

bender

What time is it?
My screen went yellow. Easy enough to just buy a whole Wii U for cheap rather than repairing the screen.

However I'm saying it again as I have for years, this console is going to be a Nintendo collectable like the Virtual Boy. Right now it's hardware and software prices are as cheap as they will ever be.

Looks like US versions are $150+ and I fear what the screen looks like in the used market. Japanese units seem much less expensive and they generally take better care of their devices/games. Still a pretty expensive controller replacement when all is said and done.

nush

Gold Member
Looks like US versions are $150+ and I fear what the screen looks like in the used market. Japanese units seem much less expensive and they generally take better care of their devices/games. Still a pretty expensive controller replacement when all is said and done.
It’s not a “controller” in the traditional sense, it’s an integral part of the system and part of the consoles failure in the market. The used controllers did not get much use so are generally in good condition. Now can’t say the same for a cheaper controller than say anXbox 360 with worn out sticks. For example.

bender

What time is it?
It’s not a “controller” in the traditional sense, it’s an integral part of the system and part of the consoles failure in the market. The used controllers did not get much use so are generally in good condition. Now can’t say the same for a cheaper controller than say anXbox 360 with worn out sticks. For example.

Obviously but that doesn't negate the fact it an integral part of the system that is prone to break due to wear and tear and also isn't easily replaceable. It's why the Joycons on the Switch are detachable.

nush

Gold Member
Obviously but that doesn't negate the fact it an integral part of the system that is prone to break due to wear and tear and also isn't easily replaceable. It's why the Joycons on the Switch are detachable.
Your disagreeing with me while also agreeing with me. Good work.

nial

Gold Member
I'm a PlayStation fan who likes the Wii U more than the PS3, and even then I don't agree with the 'awesome library' claims. Boy did it have some godawful first-party games; Star Fox Zero, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario? still better than the switch tho

Given how roundly and thoroughly it was rejected by the market, it was self evidently not a "great system", other than managing to appeal to a very small niche of dedicated nerds

It was a failure that was abandoned by the market, abandoned by publishers, abandoned by developers, and abandoned by Nintendo themselves the first chance they got. That didn't happen because it was secretly a great system and everyone else was too stupid to tell, it happened because unless you fell in a very specifically defined narrow niche, the Wii U was garbage.

Just like the Vita.

The WiiU had great games, but no killer app, and was horribly outdated when PS4 and XBOne dropped.

Vita failed because Sony suddenly stopped supporting it. It had received some decent support at first, and was technically speaking pretty awesome.

I love my Wii U, I brought it late and knew what I was getting. It fulfilled my criteria of having ten games I wanted to play and anything over that was a bonus. I still play it.
I love the Wii U, I'm retarded, though. I've already went through 2 Wii U Pro Controllers (they both work, but now drift) so I'm going to get 2 more and put them away and go with a Hori for my main controller. It's supposed to have anti-drift hardware inside.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I'm a PlayStation fan who likes the Wii U more than the PS3, and even then I don't agree with the 'awesome library' claims. Boy did it have some godawful first-party games; Star Fox Zero, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario? still better than the switch tho
Paper Mario Color Splash is awesome. Best script of any Nintendo game since forever, and more ideas than most devs would come up with in an entire trilogy.

Paper Mario Color Splash is awesome. Best script of any Nintendo game since forever, and more ideas than most devs would come up with in an entire trilogy.
I mean, I did enjoy color splash and I remember some good writing but something like 1000 year door has a much better script right? With Rawk Hawk and the train murder mystery and all that. I guess it is like 10 years older though

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I mean, I did enjoy color splash and I remember some good writing but something like 1000 year door has a much better script right? With Rawk Hawk and the train murder mystery and all that. I guess it is like 10 years older though
“Since forever” meant “in a good decade at least” here.
Anyway, I never played TTYD.

manzo

Our Wii U is still used every weekend with the kids. As my old Gamecube's laser started going wonky, the now-softmodded Wii U holds all the Wii U, Wii and Gamecube stuff.

Playing Phantasy Star Online 1&2 split screen with the kids is STILL a fucking blast. Mario Party 5 is still also in full rotation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom