• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gold Master Series: interactive documentaries by Digital Eclipse for impactful video games (like the Criterion Collection for video games)

Agent X

Digital Eclipse has announced that they will be developing and publishing a series of "interactive documentaries" focused on notable video games, studios, and designers. These products will be known as the Gold Master Series. Their intention is to preserve and present these games, along with deep examinations of the history of their development, much like what The Criterion Collection has done for movies.

If you're familiar with Digital Eclipse's work on Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration, then you have an idea of the approach they're using for these products. The inaugural release will be The Making of Karateka, which includes “pixel-perfect versions” of the original Karateka releases and early prototypes, accompanied by design documents and documentary-style video features.

The Making of Karateka will be available later this year for PC, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and Switch.

Digital Eclipse's announcements of the Gold Master Series and The Making of Karateka can be found at the following links:

Here is a trailer for The Making of Karateka:

For more information on The Making of Karateka, check out this article from The Verge, and this blog post from Karateka designer Jordan Mechner for more details of what features you can expect from the final product. Here's a brief excerpt from Jordan Mechner's blog

Digital Eclipse has reconstructed my Super 8 rotoscoping process — from film to pencil tracings to pixelated game character — in their interactive, hands-on "Rotoscope Theater." And that's just one element of "The Making of Karateka." It's packed with audio and video interviews with me, my dad, and game-industry luminaries; a podcast about Karateka's music (which my dad composed); rare original design documents; excerpts from my journals; and 14 playable games — including not only the final Apple II, Commodore, and Atari versions of Karateka, but also work-in-progress builds I submitted to Broderbund along the way, tracking its development from prototype to gold master. All the games are playable on a choose-your-own nostalgic menu of period monitors and TVs, with optional audio commentary and a "watch/play" mode that the Dagger of Time would envy.

This is a very promising concept. I look forward to trying out The Making of Karateka, and I'd like to see what other entries are planned for this series.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It hurts not to see this get much love. I think this looks great. Digital Eclipse did an amazing job on the Atari one. What I would like is all of this wrapped up in one long form video. Drew Scanlon from GiantBomb works on these documentary things.

What is the price?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
$20. Yeah this looks like a GOTY contender honestly. First ever interactive criterion collection documentary complete with the game, demo dev versions and a remaster.

sachos

Holy shit, such an interesting initiative, the production value & format is great. You think they will do a physical release?

Last edited:
Top Bottom