• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great Ace Attorney |OT| Herlock Sholmes on the case!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
H2x1_NSwitchDS_TheGreatAceAttorneyChronicles_image1600w.jpg

Info:
Platform: Switch, PS4 and PC
Genre: Adventure, visual novel
Rating: ESRB Teen
PLAYERS: 1

Reviews:
RPGfan - 90
Not only are the two games in The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles remarkable examples of what this series can do, but they deliver a massive amount of content for the price. When played back-to-back, you’re looking at around 70 hours of playtime in total, and that isn’t including all the extra content. I’m delighted that I can now go from desperately wanting Capcom to localize the games to desperately wanting Capcom to announce The Great Ace Attorney 3! These games are full of the same over-the-top craziness and heartbreaking melodrama that makes the series so memorable, and I highly recommend it to both long-time fans and those who are simply looking for a fantastic story. Absolutely no objections here.​

RPGsite -9
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles isn’t perfect, but it’s the closest that the series has ever been to that lofty goal. These games are Shu Takumi at his absolute best, and it’s a blessing that western players finally have the chance to play them without resorting to fan translations. Whether you’re a new fan, or have been with the series from the very beginning, I can’t recommend The Great Ace Attorney: Chronicles enough.

Nintendolife - 9
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is two brilliant games for the price of one, and it not only gives us more of what we love, but gives us something that is visually, narratively, and historically deeper than ever before. There's a bit of a learning curve that you'll have to get on top of to meet the game where it's at, but honestly, we couldn't have asked for a better version of the game we've been wanting for years.

R6Rider

Gold Member
My copy just arrived from UPS. About to jump into the series for the first time after work.

Last edited:
How does this run on switch I choose that version over the other consoles cause it has a physical version on the switch here in the states.

Sleepwalker

is there a disc/cartridge version for this and the collection? Been meaning to pick them up, I used to play these on a DS emulator on my phone while at college and loved them, but I don't think I ever finished them.

Danjin44

is there a disc/cartridge version for this and the collection? Been meaning to pick them up, I used to play these on a DS emulator on my phone while at college and loved them, but I don't think I ever finished them.

Also Digital bundle

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I started AAT and then switched to this one and am enjoying it a bit more. Obviously there's more innovation in the gameplay but the old-timey setting just works for me.

It's also interesting to start at the beginning for these two characters: I always thought these Ace Attorney's were the best of the best at the outset instead of the bundle or nerves they are in the beginning. I mean you're quite literally learning the ropes in GAA.

. . .also the writing is top notch and some of these characters are random as fuck. "Was that. . .a baby?!"

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Holy shit that was a first case. This was like a god damned episode of Law and Order. I legit thought the thing would be over two or three times.

. . .also it is WAY CLEAR where Team Danganronpa got the inspiration for their games; I'm not saying they are straight up ripoffs, but I can't imagine DANGONRONPA existing as it does without AA (maybe not this specific one but the mechanics of relistening to testimony and using the right bit of evidence on a statement is straight up in DANGONRONPA as well as the absolutely ridiculous murder setups).

Really fun (and funny with the right amount of earnestness) so far.

Holy shit that was a first case. This was like a god damned episode of Law and Order. I legit thought the thing would be over two or three times.

. . .also it is WAY CLEAR where Team Danganronpa got the inspiration for their games; I'm not saying they are straight up ripoffs, but I can't imagine DANGONRONPA existing as it does without AA (maybe not this specific one but the mechanics of relistening to testimony and using the right bit of evidence on a statement is straight up in DANGONRONPA as well as the absolutely ridiculous murder setups).

Really fun (and funny with the right amount of earnestness) so far.
Yeah, Danganronpa is definitely the most popular mystery/detective adventure game that's directly indebted to Ace Attorney. Basically a mashup of the mystery and courtroom battles of Ace Attorney with the Death Game aspect of Zero Escape. With its own take on the ideas, of course. A lot of games have done their take the contradiction puzzle mechanic post-AA like Contradiction: Spot The Liar, Root Letter, Aviary Attorney, The Spirit Hunter series, etc. There was even a Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law game that did it lol.

Must be an interesting perspective to have played the DR games first, then see the same mechanics in AA, just with way less mini-games lol.

Man case 2-4 is serving up some hotass twists and some great bro moments between ]Asogi and Naruhodou. Just need the strong finish for this to be my low-key, high-key favorite AA game.

Last edited:
Fucking hell, Rei is so lovely! This studio really has something special when it comes to creating such memorable characters! The 3D models and their animations are wonderful, they really make the characters look so full of life. I can only imagine what this team could do with a bigger budget so we could get a bigger number of suspects/witnesses and more complex cases (I already played DGS1 before, so I jumped straight into DGS2).

Anyway, on to the second case, let's see if the rest of DGS2 is as good as people say.
HW2vwpi.png

Danjin44

imagine what this team could do with a bigger budget so we could get a bigger number
As much as I want that, series doesn't sell enough to justify the big budget unfortunately, heck even now majority of big gaming websites haven't review this game.

But even with limited budget, the game is polished as fuck, the animation and character models in on point.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I started playing today and I'm surprised at the amount of extras and special episodes included in the package. They really went beyond here. Awesome deal 😃

I have it on Switch but I'm playing on TV with surround sound and it's like watching a TV show. I might continue playing this way instead of in my bed like I did with the other games.

Saiyan-Rox

Had no idea this game was even a thing untill today and I loved the original

Playing it atm and is there a way to make the text faster? It's driving me nuts

I think it's possible that AA7 (which was revealed in the Capcom leaks that revealed GAA Collection) will have a "bigger budget," if not necessarily a "big budget." The 2019 AA collection was the game in the series to finally crack Capcom's Platinum Titles list selling 1.1 million (just under Resident Evil Director's Cut and Commando for the NES lol). I think that collection made a lot of new fans who never bothered with the hand-held titles/decades of positive word of mouth finally boiled over. It'd also be the first time the series is being developed for consoles from the outset.

I've got high hopes that GAA can sell nearly as well as AA collection did. The quality is there and positive word of mouth is too. The only thing that may hold it back is people seeing it as a spin-off/lack of Phoenix Wright as the popular main character.

For the most part I'm happy to get AA however we get it, but it would be cool to see how Takumi & Co. would revamp some things. Like more in-depth 3D crime scene investigations or something. I have always liked when the series flirted with forensics, too.

I think this game is going to take my whole weekend. I've been waiting for this!

Hope beyond AA7 we get a 456 collection as well (with AJ improved in some way) and an AAI collection with an official AAI2 translation. I can dream, at least. Hell, could we just get a LvPW56 collection? AJ was kind of retconned/made irrelevant anyway.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
So what is this game all about?

You investigate criminal cases? It seems the gameplay is the investigation. So reading and...? Can you fail?
I watched Rosies video on PS Access and still don't get what it really is.

Gaf convinced me to buy 13 Sentinels and i finished it about a week ago and liked it so i think Gaf can convince me to play this game.

Danjin44

You investigate criminal cases? It seems the gameplay is the investigation. So reading and...? Can you fail?

Gaf convinced me to buy 13 Sentinels and i finished it about a week ago and liked it so i think Gaf can convince me to play this game.
There is two parts in Ace Attorney games, one you investigate to gather clues and second is courtroom battles, which you use the you use the evidence you gathered to defend you client. (this is simple description what the game is about)

They are essentially VN/adventure games.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
There is two parts in Ace Attorney games, one you investigate to gather clues and second is courtroom battles, which you use the you use the evidence you gathered to defend you client. (this is simple description what the game is about)

They are essentially VN/adventure games.
And the more you investigate the more you have on hand inside the court, i guess?

So the cases act like missions? Does the appeal come from the fact that it is well written or just through the fact that you can interact with the world?

Danjin44

And the more you investigate the more you have on hand inside the court, i guess?

So the cases act like missions? Does the appeal come from the fact that it is well written or just through the fact that you can interact with the world?
You don't get all evidence in investigation section, some of them you get from pressing the witness in courtroom.

As for the structure, it plays episodic like TV show.

I HIGHLY recommend you to play the first trilogy.
phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-trilogy-switch-hero.jpg

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I think this game is going to take my whole weekend. I've been waiting for this!

Hope beyond AA7 we get a 456 collection as well (with AJ improved in some way) and an AAI collection with an official AAI2 translation. I can dream, at least. Hell, could we just get a LvPW56 collection? AJ was kind of retconned/made irrelevant anyway.
AJ is great though. Great music, hilarious characters, and the gimmick of the last case is fantastic. Much better pacing that AA5 and (especially) AA6, which is way too long for its own good.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Should I play through with English dub? I figured it being set in London would make more sense that way. Or maybe I'll switch depending on location.

Danjin44

Should I play through with English dub? I figured it being set in London would make more sense that way. Or maybe I'll switch depending on location.
I would say english dub, each case starts with narration and it’s really well done, but most of the dialogue are not voiced.

Edit: Also like to hear “OBJECTION!”

Last edited:

These trailers Capcom put out explain the gameplay well. The primary mechanic is using evidence against a particular piece of witness testimony to expose a contradiction.

Finished Great Ace Attorney 2 - Resolve and the last case was absolutely glorious. The reveals, the twists, the puzzles, the freakouts, just everything about it was great right through to the very satisfying end. The Dance of Deduction with Mikotobo and Holmes has gatta be my favorite. That fucking tap-dancing! It got me every single time. I need the Yujin and Holmes spinoff so bad.

In general the Dance of Deduction puzzles are such a great representation of what adventure games can do well. Constructing gameplay from narrative in a way that elevates both in the process. You're getting the fun of participating in the mystery solving but also the narrative aspect & comedy is bolstered by the fact that you're the one telling Holmes how he fucked up. The non-interactive equivalent of these sections in another form of media could be entertaining, but would never be as good IMO. Like other aspects AA's design I do wish it was more in depth, at times. But the final episode's last DoD was just sublime through and through.

From the individual cases, the over-arching mysteries, the big picture themes, the game design, presentation, unforgettable cast, OST, etc... I've gatta say this is Shu Takumi & Co's best for me, and that's a very high bar. I love everything about it save for a few minor issues like thinking the multi-witness mechanic was half-baked and finding that GAA is a bit too wordy for it's own good sometimes, especially compared to the original trilogy which were comparatively terse.

Shu Takumi has said in interviews he went into developing GAA with the intention of topping the OG Trilogy and IMO he succeeded. I just hope Capcom continues supporting the series and Shu as a creator so we can get more from him while he's at the top of his game.

Danjin44

Shu Takumi has said in interviews he went into developing GAA with the intention of topping the OG Trilogy and IMO he succeeded. I just hope Capcom continues supporting the series and Shu as a creator so we can get more from him while he's at the top of his game.
The character animation is phenomenal!! I'm currently in 4th case in GAA1 and I can just stare at Soseki's idle animation all day, so crazy detailed and fun to watch.

I thought it couldn't surpass the 2D animation from pervious games but GAA games definitely did.

This has been such a joy to play thus far, I must say. I'm currently at case 2-3 and I'm in love with a new character that just showed up, everything from her model/animations to her personality and interactions with other characters (especially Holm lol) have been so full of charm that I can't help but have a giant smile plastered on me all the time while playing. The music has been lovely as well.

There's been some issues so far, though, like the game bugging out on me a bit after I switch tabs (PC), the needless amount of filler text that makes going through later parts of trials feel like a chore sometimes, and the fact that none of the cases live up to the rest of the series so far (for me) except 1-3. That being said, I can see that the game is building up towards a major, overarching plot point that I think is going to be the main focus of 2-4 and 2-5, which I've heard are basically the best cases in this duology. I can't wait to get there!

Last edited:
This has been such a joy to play thus far, I must say. I'm currently at case 2-3 and I'm in love with a new character that just showed up, everything from her model/animations to her personality and interactions with other characters (especially Holm lol) have been so full of charm that I can't help but have a giant smile plastered on me all the time while playing. The music has been lovely as well.

There's been some issues so far, though, like the game bugging out on me a bit after I switch tabs (PC), the needless amount of filler text that makes going through later parts of trials feel like a chore sometimes, and the fact that none of the cases live up to the rest of the series so far (for me) except 1-3. That being said, I can see that the game is building up towards a major, overarching plot point that I think is going to be the main focus of 2-4 and 2-5, which I've heard are basically the best cases in this duology. I can't wait to get there!
From the screenshot you posted it seems like you're having the PC resolution scaling issue, which there's a quick fix for:
Yes, it seems the game has some display scaling problems. A workaround was suggested by Jazzem in https://steamcommunity.com/app/1158850/discussions/0/3055114073648825073/.
Right-click the EXE, go to Properties -> Compatibility -> Change High DPI Settings and check the "Override High DPI scaling behaviour" box. This allows the game to scale it the way it wants to and overrides Windows' preferences, mitigating the issue.
I had it at first too, changing that setting markedly improves the image quality of the game.

From the screenshot you posted it seems like you're having the PC resolution scaling issue, which there's a quick fix for:

I had it at first too, changing that setting markedly improves the image quality of the game.
Would you look at that -- you're not kidding! Thank you so much for this mate, it did look a bit shite to me but I figured that's just the way the port was. It looks much better now!

Nico_D

Am I just imagining it or is the first game easier than the original trilogy was? It is not ridiculously easy like Dual Destinies was, thank god, but still easier.

I'm playing the third case atm but if it doesn't get any more challenging, that's a shame.

Am I just imagining it or is the first game easier than the original trilogy was? It is not ridiculously easy like Dual Destinies was, thank god, but still easier.

I'm playing the third case atm but if it doesn't get any more challenging, that's a shame.

The game does get harder as it goes along, with the last cases in each game being the most difficult. AA has a weird difficulty curve, it gets harder overtime but has a relative reset in difficulty at the start of each individual case. So the overall trend is harder difficulty with dips back into easier stuff. The last case in GAA2 was a decent challenge.

The original trilogy was mostly the same, though. Except for the 2nd game being significantly harder than the first. The 2nd game is the one where you could also present profiles, effectively doubling your inventory and possible wrong answers.

Danjin44

You also need keep in mind that this is not our first time with AA series, we understand the core mechanics so the expriance is much more smoother.

Nico_D

You also need keep in mind that this is not our first time with AA series, we understand the core mechanics so the expriance is much more smoother.

That is true. You are more able to predict what Shu Takumi is aiming for, knowing his habit for twists.

The last cases in all of the first three games could get ridiculously hard at times. And a lot of information was hidden in the inventory items, you really had to read them word for word (and often many times) to spot contradictions. There haven't been anything like that yet.

That said, I really like this one. If the difficulty has been slightly lower than I'd prefer, the animation and stories have been spot on. And these cases have had some of the best humor in the series. The new mechanics are great too.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I always had mixed feelings about the localizations of the AA games, taking huge liberties including some that made no sense (like saying they were in California and the. Like taking a drive to a nearby Japanese village) but this seems to go hard the other way, a little too literal.

I absolutely hate that they swapped "Hold it" for "Yes". Makes no sense.

The last cases in all of the first three games could get ridiculously hard at times. And a lot of information was hidden in the inventory items, you really had to read them word for word (and often many times) to spot contradictions. There haven't been anything like that yet.

GAA2 def gets more like that by the end, there's some pretty clever stumpers (GAA1 may as well but I cant really recall specific deductions at this point).

Last edited:
Top Bottom