• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The greatest comic book that nobody knows about - ANIMAL MAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomoment

Who is Animal Man?

Animal Man is Buddy Baker. Beloved husband and loving father. Animal rights activist and vegetarian. And least (Yes, I said least) importantly, a superhero and a member of Justice League International.

Despite all of the critical acclaim that Grant Morrison's run on the title (#1-26) has received over the years, the character and title "Animal Man" is hardly known outside of the most hardcore comic book circles. Casual comic book readers know about Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One, and Maus, but say Animal Man, and they're stupified. Animal Man has every right to stand aside the aforementioned greats -- but it doesn't. Why? Maybe it's because the art looks dated (the title's ONLY flaw, IMO). Or, maybe because the story revolves around a 3rd string hero that nobody knew about to begin with.

Well, I'm here to promote Grant Morrison's Animal Man. There are three TPBs out, which collect the entirety of Grant Morrison's run. Animal Man is Grant Morrison's best work. Yep, I said it. Better than the Invisibles. Better than JLA. Better than New X-Men. Better than Doom Patrol. Better than Flex Mentallo. Better than SeaGuy. Well, you get the idea.

What is Grant Morrison's Animal Man run about? Hard to say, without giving too much away. Basically, it's about Buddy Baker aka Animal Man, your average joe; a guy trying to make the world a better place, while also, trying to find his place in a world of colorful heroes, day-glo colors, and hokey villains. In terms of superpowers, Buddy can absorb the abilities of animals (animals being a broad term) -- say, the weight of an elephant, the flight of a bird... you get the idea.

jacket.jpg

Kicking off the #1, we learn that Buddy has quit the superhero game for a number of years, after marrying his high school sweetheart, Ellen. Now living in the San Diego suburbs with his wife and two kids, Buddy is inspired by recent headlines made by Justice League International. Of course, it becomes much more than this, but it's better than you go in with as little information as possible.

animalman5.jpg

As mentioned earlier, there are three TPBs currently out: Animal Man, Animal Man: Origin of the Species, and Animal Man: Deux Ex Machina.

animal_man.jpg
new_graphic_novel1051.jpg
gm-animalman.jpg

You might scoff at the notion of this being one of the greatest comics ever after the first TPB, but I assure you, but the end of the second, you'll realize how brilliant this book is. By the end of the third, you'll agree that this is one of the best comics of all time.

So yeah, please trust me on this one. Give it a shot. You won't regret it.

FoneBone

I'll second nomo here, but I'm not sure how effective it is for people not at all familiar with the DCU. It's fucking brilliant, though, and I like how even the earlier issues, before the main story arc started, are tied into the later ones, at least vaguely.

Also, what I find really bizarre is that the series continued for another 5 years without Morrison -- why bother?

GG-Duo

I don't read comics... but you've gotten me interested. Those covers look delightfully messed.

I'll go check it out.

EDIT: wait, you have to know stuff about the DCU? aww.

nomoment

FoneBone said:
I'll second nomo here, but I'm not sure how effective it is for people not at all familiar with the DCU.
I thought about that too, but I don't think it's a major issue. The stuff regarding the Crisis may be a bit confusing, but most casual comic book readers have a basic understating of Crisis on Infinite Earths, anyway.

EDIT: I do want to emphasize that it is VERY important that new readers committ to all three books, though. Many readers might pick up the first TPB and write off the rest of the series as mediocre. It is absolutely necessary to read all three TPBs to understand and enjoy the title to the greatest extent.

8bit

Knows the Score
I don't think it's his best work, I'd nominate Zenith for that. However, Animal Man for me is a comic that feels as if it was written specifically for me, in particular the end.

In the last pages of the final issue there are a few scenes set on top of a hill in Glasgow. My primary school was there, so I spent a lot of time in my youth hanging around that area. Seeing it in an American comic book was one strangely moving experience, especially as I had moved away from the UK.

I don't know what to add except that I love Animal man, especially the Coyote Gospel, and that you shoudl all go read it.

The first Mirror Master story was pretty cool, too.

I don't know if it's his best work. I still think that goes to Doom Patrol.

I canna track down the links right now, but Comics 101 at moviepoopshoot.com had a good feature on Animal Man (tho spoilery) and two good writeups on Crisis. I would recommend reading the Crisis bits before reading the Animal Man series - certainly helped me.

As my nick shows, I'm a huge Morrison fan ... tho Invisibles is probably my favorite, Animal Man is quite possibly his best. Just good, solid stuff from start to finish.

Exis

You are correct Animal Man is the best comic sereis, after Alan Moores Miracleman that is...

-Exis

nomoment

8bit said:
I don't think it's his best work, I'd nominate Zenith for that. However, Animal Man for me is a comic that feels as if it was written specifically for me, in particular the end.
I haven't read Zenith in it's entirely, so I can't really comment on this. I plan to get my hands on it soon, though.

Ignatz Mouse said:
I don't know if it's his best work. I still think that goes to Doom Patrol.
This was hard decision to make. Doom Patrol is great (Morrison's second best work, IMO), but it lacked the semi-autobiographical element that Animal Man had. Morrison's Animal Man just felt more deeply personal, for me.

I really need to buy the Doom Patrol TPBs when they're released, though. I read Morrison's Doom Patrol run via scans, so I'll admit, I didn't really sit down and breathe in the themes properly.

JackFrost2012 said:
I canna track down the links right now, but Comics 101 at moviepoopshoot.com had a good feature on Animal Man (tho spoilery) and two good writeups on Crisis. I would recommend reading the Crisis bits before reading the Animal Man series - certainly helped me.
I actually hotlinked some of the pictures in this thread from there. :)

I didn't want to link to the article though, because it was far too spoilerific.

Exis said:
You are correct Animal Man is the best comic sereis, after Alan Moores Miracleman that is...
Miracleman is good, and balls-out comic book cool, but it doesn't hit close to home, like Animal Man does. Mircleman is very, very good though, and definitely better than Watchmen.

Willco said:
You haven't even read Animal Man!

8bit

Knows the Score
nomoment said:
I haven't read Zenith in it's entirely, so I can't really comment on this. I plan to get my hands on it soon, though.

Maybe it helps to be British, but Zenith Phase III is a wonderful romp through old UK comic characters that just cements the deal for me. It probably won't ever appear in print, but I know it's available as scans on Direct Connect.

As to those that think Miracleman is Moore's best work, allow me to introduce you to The Fury. Or Supreme. or Halo Jones. Or DR & Quinch.

8bit

Knows the Score
Oh, and the announcement of Albion for next year is the most exciting thing I've heard in comics for about 10 years. It's much the same as hearing Alan Moore was given the Charlton toybox to play with.

BuddyC

Animal Man is a solid ride that really ramps up as it progresses. Can't say much more than that, it's definately on my (huge) list of TPBs to purchase when I get the shot.

I've been re-reading The Invisibles a lot lately, especially since I just blew over $100 finishing up my collection. Another title worthy of the praise it received.

Animal Man is good, but, um, a little odd. It's certainly pointing in the direction that Morrison has pursued with the Invisibles (to a certain extent) and the Filth (to a much greater extent).

Greatest comic no-one knows? Um, maybe, though I'd probably nominate Strangers In Paradise. When is a comic one that no-one knows? Greatest comic, I wouldn't have said so. Greatest Morrison comic? I prefer the Invisibles.

nomoment

I'd still rank Invisibles lower than Animal Man. Way lower.

While the Invisibles is dabbed with moments of brilliance, there are many moments where Morrison is "weird for weirdness' sake" - which is undoubtedly, Morrison's greatest flaw as a writer. Of course, upon re-read certain things become clearer, but there are many ideas and moments that aren't properly explained.

It wasn't until the underground guide to the Invisibles was published that readers truly got a complete idea of what Morrison was trying to achieve.

BuddyC

nomoment said:
It wasn't until the underground guide to the Invisibles was published that readers truly got a complete idea of what Morrison was trying to achieve.

Which was? I've heard so many different theories on The Invisibles picking through various message boards, but I haven't had the funds to pick up the underground guide. Worth it?

nomoment

BuddyChrist83 said:
Which was? I've heard so many different theories on The Invisibles picking through various message boards, but I haven't had the funds to pick up the underground guide. Worth it?
Haven't read the guide myself - but a few friends and my LCS owner, all Invisibles nuts, swear by it. Many of those Invisibles interpretations from the messageboards stemmed from the guide, anyway.

Basically, if you're a hardcore Invisibles fan, it's apparently worth it.

BuddyC

Alucard said:
What's that? The Invisibles you say? I should check it out? OKAY!
The Invisibles...is a sort of acquired taste. Not everyone enjoys it, and to fully comphrehend the ideas presented within it requires a lot of external reading, including Robert Anton Wilson, Phillip K. Dick (especially Valis) and Aleister Crowley, among others.

Likewise, you could also snag the reader's guide, or partake in discussion on message boards (I'd recommend Barbelith.com for Invisibles chatter).

I could go on and on about the influence of the series (such as the building jump training in The Matrix) but I'm finding it hard to accurately describe the comic here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom