• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

" The History: NFL2K Series " - free Madden trolling inside!

Status
Not open for further replies.
" Allow me to Introduce the greatest football games in history, and thanks to the wack ass nfl/madden deal, i will keep playing the old games. And just a quick note, those screens shots of madden 06 is wack, the series never changes "

NFL 2K
nfl2k.large.jpg

NFL2K1
9988241184.jpg

NFL2K2 DC & XBOX
sim-nfl2k2-0010.jpg

17144-9-2.jpg

NFL2K3 XBOX
sim-nfl2k3-0002.jpg

10301780157.jpg

NFL2K4
fp2.jpg

vortal_pic_95226.jpg

NFL2K5
b2e942bb7d.jpg

1e7033372c.jpg

Now Bow down to the greatest football games, Madden dont even understand, they playing catch up....

HCgamer

NFL 2K5 still looks way better than Madden 2006 on PS2 from the pictures I have seen. Monopolies are bad.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I missed Dan and Peter already. I'm sorry but 2K was and still is alot more fun to play than Madden. The Crib > Stupid Mini Games

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
jobber said:
I missed Dan and Peter already. I'm sorry but 2K was and still is alot more fun to play than Madden. The Crib > Stupid Mini Games

Agreed. NFL2K was what got me into sports videogames. Madden can go die.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
*Sigh* Must you re-open such freshly healed wounds? I loved this series. Still do really. Just waiting for the hyper-obsessed geeks out there to create all the new rookies and update every single roster and it's Gameshark time for me.

U.2.K. Tha Greate$t said:
Now Bow down to the greatest football games, Madden dont even understand, they playing catch up....

Nah, 2K had the potential to be the greatest football series yet. The gameplay and feature set were definitely there, but every single year VC fucked it up with a huge game breaking bug or balance issue. GO VC!

jobber said:

They did a great job with Dan and Peter. They seemed like real life commentators. I loved how throughout the life of the series, Dan and Peter developed catch phrases, and seem to become more comfortable with each other. I will miss "You can't coach that". and "He's gone like a train."

It's a damn shame that it won't make the next gen transition.

Damn you EA, Damn you!!!

TheDiave

Banned
Great job on the collection of chronological screenshots. I agree that the 2K series has always trumped Madden from a visual standpoint. From what we've seen of Madden on 360, there are areas that 2K5 still beats it. Monopoly or not, EA has some catching up to do. If they were smart, they'd be trying to steal modelling talent from VC's team with sacks full of cash money.

bionic77

HCgamer said:
NFL 2K5 still looks way better than Madden 2006 on PS2 from the pictures I have seen. Monopolies are bad.

Acclaim's NFL Quaterback N64 looked as good as those game do in the screens.

Obviously screenshots don't tell the whole story.

P.S. Winning Eleven > Madden > NFL2k

HCgamer

bionic77 said:
Acclaim's NFL Quaterback N64 looked as good as those game do in the screens.

Obviously screenshots don't tell the whole story.

P.S. Winning Eleven > Madden > NFL2k

2k5 had it all beautiful graphics, jaw dropping presentation, fun gameplay, crib, VIP, custom soundtracks now if I want to play a NFL game I have to put up with graphics that still look a lot worse than 2K5 and EA Trax. Yuck

I still have fun playing nfl2k2 on dreamcast, not to mention playing nfk2k3 and 2k5 on xbox, i also own nfl fever 2004, even tho people dont seem to enjoy that game, i do.

I aint buying madden, playing 50 or 60 bucks for a game that dont even look better then the 2k series. And talking about gameplay, i enjoy the gameplay on the 2k series a bit better. The running game is more advanced and more fun on nfk2k too, the game is really intense you crack up the level of play, put it on pro and change the sliders to a point, its really intense.

Ea dont mess up, and i shall no part in it. Cant wait till the deal is over tho :) :D

Bet you EA steals 2k's VIP system next year and calls it something like Coach Personality Stick, seeing as they love to use stick in everything now a days. :)

And the custom soundtrack feature that let you edit and play your own music depending on the situation was very underrated. I love the Bucs, and with that feature I could have the virtual Raymond James Stadium sounding just like the real thing. If EA was all about their slogan (If its in the game, its in the game) this kind of shit would of already been in the game, and they would not be playing catch up to a game that’s only been out for 6 years.

Ramirez

You guys that love 2K must not be big fans of the actual game of football if you can stomach this series :lol

NOW UNLEASH YOUR HATRED UPON ME!

put it on pro and change the sliders to a point, its really intense.

You play on Pro?That make's this thread THAT much better :D

Jeff-DSA

I had so much fun with NFL2k5 on Live. It was such a beautiful game, it's a shame to see it's not going to see a successor.

Ah well, I'll embrace the one football game future. I preferred the 2k series to Madden last year, but it wasn't by a large margin.

Mrbob

NFL2K series is pretty good. My problem with VC is that they were so busy trying to add extra shit year in and year out they never shored up the core gameplay. Which is extremely lacking compared to Madden. Madden 2005 is the first time I seriously played Madden, and I gotta say it feels much closer to real football than that arcade mix NFL2k series employs. DM, you need to cue THE video.... :)

Lil' Dice

Banned
I'd rather play with a homeless person's smegma than to ever pick up Madden again.
Thanks for killing my interest in football games EA.

DMczaf

I heard the guys who made NFL2K also made Barbie games on SNES/Genesis, that explains a lot. Especially the Cribs...

Lil' Dice said:
I'd rather play with a homeless person's smegma than to ever pick up Madden again.
Thanks for killing my interest in football games EA.

john-madden-bg.jpg

"What's that? I can't hear you over all the MONEY!"

bionic77

Seriously what do you guys see in NFL2k?

I admit it wiped the floor with Madden when the DC was still alive, but Madden has been a really good game the last few years. Still isn't in the league of winning eleven, but I don't hold that against Madden. VC has gone to shit since the DC died. I am terrified of what NBA2k/ESPN2k is going to play like this year.

WayCoolJR

NFL 2K / ESPN NFL no doubt looks way better than Madden. Always has and most likely always would....

In terms of presentation, graphics and atmosphere there really is no comparison. The 2K / ESPN frachise was in a league of it's own.

Gameplay though is a different story. The DB problems and guards/tackles pulling the wrong way on running plays just killed it for me. Game is a lot of fun, but just too many on-the-field issues to truly be considered elite. Don't forget the fact that the QB Spy is completely broken.

Oh and don't even get me started with franchise. I'm not talking about pricing the seats, hot dogs etc...screw all that shit. I'm talking about general stat tracking and the AI GM's. FUBAR!

Fun game for sure...but on the field "football" just never really got it right.

newsguy

WayCoolJR said:
NFL 2K / ESPN NFL no doubt looks way better than Madden. Always has and most likely always would....

In terms of presentation, graphics and atmosphere there really is no comparison. The 2K / ESPN frachise was in a league of it's own.

Gameplay though is a different story. The DB problems and guards/tackles pulling the wrong way on running plays just killed it for me. Game is a lot of fun, but just too many on-the-field issues to truly be considered elite. Don't forget the fact that the QB Spy is completely broken.

Oh and don't even get me started with franchise. I'm not talking about pricing the seats, hot dogs etc...screw all that shit. I'm talking about general stat tracking and the AI GM's. FUBAR!

Nail-Head-SMASH

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
WayCoolJR said:

Quoted for truth. Thread over.

I find it funny how you guys trash a game (2k) that’s only been out for 6 years, has a much smaller development team, and a whole hell of a lot less money to work with. Yet you give EA a pass year after year even though they can easy afford the talent to step up the visuals, sound, animations, etc.

I'm a EA Sports gamer for life, played every single sports game they've released since 95, but you have to give it up to a development team that has been able to accomplish so much in so little time. Think about it, if 2k had a few more years to get itself together gameplay wise, the Madden team would look like a complete joke. Just thinking about how long EA has used the same busted up player model is enough to drive me crazy. Look at the original 2k on dreamcast, and then compare it to 2k5's player model. Now do the same for Madden. Bottom line EA is lazy or they just don't care as long as the game sells.

Like the New York Yankees this year, I'm Out. :lol

This is such a great football series. I've owned every entry with the exception of the first ESPN NFL Football.. and they've all been spectacular..

Ramirez

Madden 01

madden2001_162.jpg

Madden 06

madden-nfl-06-20050425052329504.jpg

Just as much a difference as the NFL models over the years...not to mention ESPN's animations couldn't hold Madden's animations jock...-_-

Madden is a piece of shit. ESPN NFl 2K5 is great except for the DBs should be better and the pass protection should be better, and the defensive front seven should be faster. But it's still way better than playing Madden.

Both screens dont prove anything. They might have change , but not by far. 2k series still is the king, and besides that photo of madden 06 still looks weak , say next to nfl2k3 on xbox.

DMczaf

Ramirez said:
You play on Pro?That make's this thread THAT much better :D

Playing a 2K sports game on Pro (or any difficulty!) is like playing one on one basketball against a retarded midget who is also paralyzed from the neck down.

TheDuce22

Banned
You guys that love 2K must not be big fans of the actual game of football if you can stomach this series

The same old tired madden fan argument. According to your logic anyone who plays ANY football game doesnt truly love the sport since they are all flawed in one way or another.

Here's a better screen to compare to your Madden 06 screen, do you see big difference in the models, I don't.

Madden 01
madden2001classic_5.jpg

Matlock

Banned
Haha, you act as if Madden does any better. Hello impossibly dropped passes and Mike Vick that blows all of those ESPN vids outta the water. :lol

TheDuce22

Banned
I like how I can play any random person online in ESPN and still have a somewhat realistic game. Unlike madden where they can only play against eachother with their own user imposed rules because the game has so many freaking holes that others take advantage of.

That video is a freaking joke. Someone could make the same kind of video of Madden. You guys tweak Madden to the tenth degree, but easy give up on 2k. If Madden's gameplay was so tight, why do almost all the games played in the Madden Bowl end something like 49 to 53?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Konex likes the series,you know it sucks.

Andokuky

Banned
NFL2K= A good start, the game was just above average. Insane graphics and great sound but no balance in gameplay. It was impossible to run the ball effectively and there was no bullet pass. Every pass throw was a lob, even if the dude was 10 yards in front of you and standing still. Plus bugs, loads of bugs.

NFL2K1= The best game in the series. Fixed the running game, but made it too easy to run. Completely unrealistic physics and special moves allowed you to shake off a 275 pound defender simply by spinning. Finally added bullet passes. The game still suffered from horrible defensive AI. Out routes, posts and streaks were way too successful. On the defensive side you had the "electric slide" move, which was the only way to keep up with your man on an out route in most cases. Added a franchise mode but man was it horrible. Great online play though. One of the best football games ever made imho, but in no way shape or form was it realistic or anything near Madden.

NFL2K2= Series really started going downhill here. Tried to fix the running by making it nearly impossible to break tackles and also made it too easy to be caught from behind on a breakway run. Passing the ball became a complete pain in the ass because the WR's would never hold on to the ball. If you didn't have a guy named Moss, Rice or Owens on your team, your passing game sucked. Unless of course you utilized one of the many money plays in this game. Franchise mode didn't see a single improvement here and the online play seemed to take a step back.

NFL2K3= Another step down from NFL2k1. None of 2k2's problems were fixed. Running was still a boring 3 yards a carry crap with linebackers chasing down backs in the open field. WR's still dropped everything way too easily. Menus were still unchanged. Bugs? Yes sir. How about the nasty bug that didn't allow a human-controlled player to register a sack? The QB always broke the tackle unless it was the CPU controlling the defender. Laggiest online play I have ever seen. I swear Madden 2003 on 56k was smoother than NFL2k3 on cable. Subtle improvements did not help the still lackluster franchise mode and the menus were exactly the same for the 4th straight year. Another bad effort by Sega.

ESPN NFL Football= Well, atleast they got some presentation changes. Probably a better game overall than NFL2k3 also, but still just a bit worse than 2k2 and not even in the same league as 2k1. Franchise mode seems to have seen the most attention, too bad the menus were impossible to navigate. It was also right up there with 2k1 in terms of realism. In other words there was none.

ESPN NFL2k5= Probably the 2nd best in the series, but far from a great football game. All offense, no defense. This game might have the absolute worst AI I have ever seen in a football title. Plus the franchise mode is useless. The menus are again, a pain in the ass to navigate and the gameplay itself stinks. Pre-determined player progression? That's so 90's. But back to that horrible AI. The only football game I have ever played that was easier to run in is Tecmo Bowl. Just hand the ball off and start tapping that shoulder charge button. An easy 5-6 yards a pop. Throwing the ball isn't much more difficult, seeing how the defenders will run around in circles while you lob the ball up to your player for easy yardage. No one open? Just run for it. In ESPN NFL2k5, there is no such thing as QB Spy. I know in the book is says to hold select while turning the analog sticks counter-clockwise while franticly tapping X while holding L1, then hit the player's icon button. But it doesn't work. So unless you wanna manually take a player and shadow the QB, you're screwed. Oh but wait, doing that means there's no blitz and given time in this game, you can always find someone open. Now lets talk about online leagues. Really, what's the point of offering leagues with no real NFL schedule? Didn't GameDay 2004 offer real NFL schedules? In a 32 team league with 10 games, I still somehow end up playing the same team 3 times? Huh? Worth $20 just as a change of pace to Madden but not worth a penny more.

Matlock

Banned
sportzhead said:
That video is a freaking joke. Someone could make the same kind of video of Madden. You guys tweak Madden to the tenth degree, but easy give up on 2k. If Madden's gameplay was so tight, why do almost all the games played in the Madden Bowl end something like 49 to 53?

Because both sides are so good! I think!

hgplayer1

NFL2k is what, like 5 years old? Ive been playing Madden since 94 and it was only just recently that they fixed that "running Mario" animation. NFL2k is a fun game when youre not playing against someone looking for faults on ever single play. "OMG that lineman missed a block!!!!!!!!! that NEVER happens!!!!!!!!" I cant stand playing any football games in franchise or single player mode anymore.

Brofist

Speaking of Madden, I must have been asleep, but I just noticed the PSP version of 2006 is coming out like almost 2 months later than the others. That sucks, I was thinking in a month I'd be playing some real handheld Madden :(

Maverick

I'm a pure Madden lover, but I did play every 2K game and I will say this...

Peter and Dan were the best. I wish Madden would just stop doing the commentary and EA would hire these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom