• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
For the Tolkien fan in me, absolutely, however I actually can't stand animating :lol I love animation in general, but not the process so much. I took some classes on 3D modeling and animating in college but it really wasn't my thing. My degree is in Illustration with an emphasis in Biomedical Art, and right now my interest is in medical education for kids (my senior thesis project was a fantasy comic book that educates kids about Type 1 diabetes).

That said, if WB/New Line called me up today and told me they wanted to hire me as a concept artist for an animated Tolkien movie you bet I'd be there ;)
That sounds very interesting.

Kind of reminds of an old cartoon series set inside a human body with an aim to do the very same.

Once upon a time, Life was its name.

rivendell_nasmith.jpg

Wow. Is that it down there in the middle? It kinda blends in, which isn't that surprising I suppose... The House itself in the theatrical portrayal is a little more imposing, but overall the setting seems like it has the spirit of this illustration (at the very least). Hoh man, I would die to take some hikes around there :(

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Wow. Is that it down there in the middle? It kinda blends in, which isn't that surprising I suppose... The House itself in the theatrical portrayal is a little more imposing, but overall the setting seems like it has the spirit of this illustration (at the very least). Hoh man, I would die to take some hikes around there :(
Yes, Ted Nasmith's depiction of the Elvish stronghold is quite literal; the "Last Homely House". Rather than a large complex as depicted in the films.

Here's another by him:

Ahhh! See, that's much closer to how I always pictured it in my head. It's almost a [European] mountain lodge, yeah? The bridge seems a little out of place (kinda fancy), but I guess they are elves.

For completion's sake, here's how Tolkien himself drew Rivendell:

rivendell2.JPG

You can just tell Nasmith had this picture nearby when he did the first of the posted Rivendell landscapes (though what happened to the tree in the foreground?)

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;54227133 said:
Back to AUJ. I don't think Thorin's relation to Kili and Fili was made clear enough.

That was an issue I had as well. Of course there's a chance it'll be mentioned in one of the next two films, but it seems like somewhat of an odd omission given the first fim is typically the one that sets up most of the character's backgrounds.

I hope they do make a point of it in DOS and TABA, it'll make
their deaths while protecting Thorin in the Battle of the Five Armies
carry much more weight.

*edit - It's weird, in this behind-the-scenes video, the actors talk about Kili and Fili being Thorin's nephews as if it was brought up in the films. Perhaps there's a chance it was mentioned in scene cut from the theatrical version?

Vashetti

Banned
Back to AUJ. I don't think Thorin's relation to Kili and Fili was made clear enough.

I'm hoping we'll get more information like this in the next film.

I'd particularly like Bombur to get some lines, me and my boyfriend were really excited by him in the trailer and were disappointed that he had zero lines (as far as I'm aware) in AUJ.

Of course that's for the other dwarves as well. Only a few really had something to do.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
That was an issue I had as well. Of course there's a chance it'll be mentioned in one of the next two films, but it seems like somewhat of an odd omission given the first fim is typically the one that sets up most of the character's backgrounds.

carry much more weight.

*edit - It's weird, in this behind-the-scenes video, the actors talk about Kili and Fili being Thorin's nephews as if it was brought up in the films. Perhaps there's a chance it was mentioned in scene cut from the theatrical version?
That's certainly a possibility. If the Dwarf Lords bonus track included on the deluxe soundtrack is anything to go by then we'll be seeing Dwarven lineage explored in more detail.

I'm hoping we'll get more information like this in the next film.

I'd particularly like Bombur to get some lines, me and my boyfriend were really excited by him in the trailer and were disappointed that he had zero lines (as far as I'm aware) in AUJ.

Of course that's for the other dwarves as well. Only a few really had something to do.
Bombur's most significant moments are yet to come, some very poignant ones with
Bilbo
especially.

Im sure all the Dwarves will have a fair share of character development by journey's end and we'll be sad to see them go.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
CinemaCon News - The Desolation of Smaug trailer
The presentation concluded with a special message from Peter Jackson, apologizing for not having completed footage from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, but teasing some behind-the-scenes shots (including glimpses of Orlando Bloom's return as Legolas and Evangeline Lilly's debut as Tauriel). Jackson also noted that the film's first trailer should be ready in the next few weeks.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/cinemaconnews.php?id=103104

Released with Star Trek or Man of Steel?

Loxley

How would you guys rank the movie credits songs?

For me:

In Dreams > Song of the Lonely Mountain > Gollum's Song > Into the West

Wow, my list is the literally the complete reverse of yours. I love Into the West with a passion, especially because of how well Howard Shore implemented it into RotK itself.

I will say that Song of the Lonely Mountain has really grown on me. The first time I listened to it I didn't care for it at all, but now I really dig it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Wow, my list is the literally the complete reverse of yours. I love Into the West with a passion, especially because of how well Howard Shore implemented it into RotK itself.

I will say that Song of the Lonely Mountain has really grown on me. The first time I listened to it I didn't care for it at all, but now I really dig it.
It takes on even more meaning when you consider it was inspired by Cameron Duncan who died due to cancer before the film was completed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBlgSeYktB8

carry much more weight.

Agreed. I mean, I guess there are a few shots that try to link them in some way, but unless it's mentioned straight up, how are you supposed to know how? It seems like an important piece of information, so it's a little weird they didn't mention it at all, even just in passing. So yeah, I am also hoping it's in a cut scene that'll be in the EE, buuuuuut that won't help the people who don't buy it. They'll have to mention it several times over the next two films for casual movie-goers to get the connection.

And ya had to type it out, Loxley, hnnnggguuu *sob*

Into The West & Song of the Lonely Mountain > May It Be >> Gollum's Song

It took a bit for me to warm up to The Song of the Lonely Mountain as well, but yeah. Love. Y'all should be tired of my praise for that one by now :p

Into The West took me much longer, but there was a moment when it kind of surprised me on my playlist... I felt like I actually heard the lyrics clearly for the first time, and damn. Extremely moving. It does an incredible job of evoking the last few scenes of RotK at the Grey Havens & what lies beyond them.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
What do we all think will feature in Desolation's first trailer?

I'm thinking lots of Elves, shots of the spiders, Beorn's house, the minions of the Necromancer, Lake-town, Bard, the Master, glimpses of Smaug and Biblio Boggins of course.

Edmond Dantès;54336294 said:
It would be interesting if they touched upon Ungoliant in more detail in the prologue. Maybe explore dragon origins too.

One thing's for certain, Gandalf v Thrain will be happening in TDOS.

I have a feeling Desolation will be the best of the three. Calling it right now.

Two Towers is my favourite too so... :p

Loxley

PJ is going to tease the ever-loving hell out of us for as long as he can. I bet the trailer will be pretty Mirkwood/Laketown heavy, and will likely have an exceedingly brief glimpse of Beorn. I don't expect to see Smaug at all aside from the usual silhouette tease.

Edmond Dantès;54122232 said:
Minas Tirith and the surrounding fields should have looked like this ideally.

But I can see why they went with a more ruined landscape devoid of any substantial greenery, to reflect the the decline of a once great kingdom and the influence of Sauron on the beauty that Yavanna crafted before the ages of Arda.

Rivendell's geographical variance with what's established in the Legendarium seems to be based on the following illustration, with the trek through the crevice shortened a great deal due to obvious time constraints.

Neat pictures. The second one looks too futuristic, though. Like cover art from a cheesy sci-fi novel.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I have a feeling Desolation will be the best of the three. Calling it right now.

Two Towers is my favourite too so... :p
I made a ranking prediction a while ago for The Hobbit trilogy.

1. The Desolation of Smaug
2. There and Back Again
3. An Unexpected Journey

As of now:

1. The Fellowship of the Ring
2. The Return of the King
3. The Two Towers
4. An Unexpected Journey.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
My current ranking is

1) Fellowship
2) Unexpected Journey
3) Return of the King
4) Two Towers

I was not a huge fan of the Two Towers, especially in comparison to the Fellowship which was a revelation when it was released. Return of the King was a fitting finale but I have always had a soft spot in film series for the first film, because I do love the beginning of journeys and the character development that needs to take place.

I have seen An Unexpected Journey 7 times now on Itunes and I truly do believe it is a fitting companion to the LOTR universe and because it contains alot of the great elements of a "first film" of the series is ranks up highly for me. I do understand alot of the criticisms, I can see where alot of people are coming from but I dont honestly agree with them.

Nyx

Just a quick question, haven't seen the movie yet and can watch it now on BR.

Is it worth it to watch it in 3D? (as it's 169 minutes long....)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yes, lots of spinning, bow and arrow, dual-sword wielding graceful kung-fu Elf acrobatics. Maybe even an Oliphant-trunk-slide type of setpiece. Feel this type of action is an expectation for these films. Wouldn't be at all bummed out if they actually showed some restraint and dialed back the ninja elf stuff, but seems very unlikely, especially in Desolation where they will get their first real spotlight of the trilogy. And who am I kidding I'll probably have fun with it and enjoy the heck out of all that stuff anyway.

Would maybe also expect there to be an acceleration of the camaraderie between the Dwarves. They gotta start ratcheting that stuff up for the final movie.

Sorry if i missed something, just curious, is that a personal ranking or a ranking based on what you feel will be a consensus on the films?
The Hobbit ranking is a gut feeling of how the films will be ranked by the masses and on Rotten Tomatoes come journey's end.

The second list is my personal ranking of Peter Jackson's Middle-earth films thus far.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Just a quick question, haven't seen the movie yet and can watch it now on BR.

Is it worth it to watch it in 3D? (as it's 169 minutes long....)
The 3D in the film is pretty well done, but frankly, you won't be missing out on much if you watch it in 2D.

Nyx

Edmond Dantès;54399489 said:
The 3D in the film is pretty well done, but frankly, you won't be missing out on much if you watch it in 2D.

Guess I'll just start with 3D, if it isn't worth it and my head starts aching, I'll watch the rest in 2D.

Thanks!

Edmond Dantès;54412581 said:

Aww, the list starts with the return to Middle Earth. Personally, I think that one ought to be higher. Going back after all these years made me giddy when I saw it for the first time, especially Bag End. It's rare (for me) to feel an overwhelming feeling of familiarity and joy for a place in a film (as opposed to a character), and sharing it with close friends made it extra special <3

Loxley

Really can't disagree with any of those points.

Well, sweet. So glad I don't have to feel ashamed. Facepalm.

Yeah, that comment reminded me of people trying to troll the AUJ OT by claiming it was going to be the Phantom Menace for The Lord of the Rings fans after reviews began to come out and weren't universal acclaim, and that those of us who were claiming to like the film once we saw it for ourselves were just caught up in our own fandom; refusing to admit the film was a terrible disappointment.

Believe me, I checked myself before I wrecked myself multiple times after my three viewings of AUJ in the theaters, to make sure I wasn't suffering from complete Stockholm Syndrome with Jackson's Middle-Earth films. Did I actually dislike the movie but simply not want to admit it to myself like many-a-Star Wars fan after Phantom Menace? Thus far the answer to that has been a resounding "nope".

And really, the only reason that concern was ever there was because - as I mentioned - people trolling and trying to piss on a film they hadn't seen themselves and just swallowed reviews from critics as gospel. I'd like to think I've been realistic about my thoughts on AUJ thus far.

In fact, the one point in that article that I agreed with the most was, "We're going to see Middle-Earth on the big screen again". Even if I'd found AUJ to be a complete travesty of cinema, it would have had that one redeeming factor going for it. I said it months before AUJ hit theaters, but seeing the Shire with Howard Shore's music again made the price of admission easily worth it.

PowderedToast

watching AUJ again and man, that radagast scene is the worst. just because gandalf mentioned him in a conversation doesn't give jackson the right to go and give him a 10 minute scene -__-

when the camera starts moving away i feel like shouting STAAHP

at that point it must be around the third detour from the main story, and another flashback comes straight after that about thorin. horrible pacing

Vega

watching AUJ again and man, that radagast scene is the worst. just because gandalf mentioned him in a conversation doesn't give jackson the right to go and give him a 10 minute scene -__-

at that point it must be around the third detour from the main story, and another flashback comes straight after that about thorin. horrible pacing

Yeah. Radagast is Jar Jar Binks level of bad for me. Remove or rewrite the character and AUJ would be damn near perfect in my opinion.

Daft_Cat

For me, that transition is the weakest moment in the film. It amounts to one tangent too many after the prologue, and the Pale Orcs backstory (which are both amazing sequences in and of themselves).

Radagast's entrance is just a really awkwardly edited moment. It just sort of happens, and feels entirely unmotivated. That said, I think the scene itself is fun...and once Radagast is properly woven into the film's main-ish narrative, I think he works just fine. They just needed to find a smoother way to bring him in.

Yeah. Radagast is Jar Jar Binks level of bad for me. Remove or rewrite the character and AUJ would be damn near perfect in my opinion.

and his ass is in the next film too, they released their first sneak peek of the next movie and it ends up being that turd

he's definitely gonna be remembered as the jar jar binks of the tolkien saga in films years from now.

Well sheesh! That graphic sure does how much I don't know about the Legendarium! I imagine it's just to show the relationship between Arwen and Aragorn...? Only because I don't see Thranduil or Legolas on there. I'd love to see a similar tree with all the elf races on it.

That family tree is just for the house of Finwe, which is the primary focus of the Silmarillion. Thranduil is from another race of elves completely, and not nearly as high born.

Edit: Looking at this chart, it made me think. Why didn't Elrond become the High King of the Noldor? Why did it go to Gil-Galad? Surely Elrond had more of a birth right? The crown seemed to jump from Fingolfin's line, to Finarfin's without any explanation

Loxley

and his ass is in the next film too, they released their first sneak peek of the next movie and it ends up being that turd

he's definitely gonna be remembered as the jar jar binks of the tolkien saga in films years from now.

Maybe by people who forget how genuinely terrible Jar Jar was. Radagast only has a few scenes in AUJ, he's not an equally constant obnoxious presence.

I just wish people would stop drawing parallels between AUJ and Episode I altogether. I get it, not everyone liked it, or had to. But goddamn, it wasn't that awful. Why try and bring other people down? It's getting hard to ignore when people keep bringing it up :(

Maybe by people who forget how genuinely terrible Jar Jar was. Radagast only has a few scenes in AUJ, he's not an equally constant obnoxious presence.

to be fair i haven't seen phantom menace in ages. and yeah thankfully radagast isn't in a majority of the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom