• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vashetti

Banned
I would argue that the Balrog in Fellowship (and Two Towers!) was very popular.

I think the CGI holds up especially well today too.

There aren't many characters in movies with 75+ years of hype behind them. And by many, of course, I mean any. I can't imagine the amount of pressure that comes with designing a character like that, let alone bringing him to life. And keeping him secret with the internets lurking in every pocket! 'Epic' doesn't even begin to describe how amazing he's gonna be <3

Truly legendary.

Loxley

LEGO have unveiled their Orthanc set:

orthan2lr.jpg

evilkv1lr697x1024.jpg

10237box3na3843x1024.jpg

LEGO Treebeard and Gwaihir :D

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
"... so that what he made was naught, only a little copy, a child's model or a slave's flattery, of that vast fortress, armoury, prison, furnace of great power, Barad-dûr, the Dark Tower, which suffered no rival, and laughed at flattery, biding its time, secure in its pride and its immeasurable strength."

Lego sure does a bang-up job with (most of) their bigger builds, but I'm still glad to see Treebeard and Gwaihir in there to even things out a little :) And Wormtongue being quite creepy, even in his Lego form.

I remember seeing that amazing fan-made one and thinking "they must have the thickest soles ever" :p I'd love to see it up close, and see how they did the ents, too.

Edmond Dantès;55649484 said:
"... so that what he made was naught, only a little copy, a child's model or a slave's flattery, of that vast fortress, armoury, prison, furnace of great power, Barad-dûr, the Dark Tower, which suffered no rival, and laughed at flattery, biding its time, secure in its pride and its immeasurable strength."

God.damn. So relevant it burns.

As always, I'm sure Tolkein spins in his grave here, and Mr Tolkein Jr is enraged, but Lego and LotR both inspire a childish glee for me that undercuts any adult cynicism. I am gonna be buying that Orthanc model and it will be fantastic.

I like to think of that quote above as an endorsement of a 6000 piece Barad-dur set. Get on it, LEGO.

God.damn. So relevant it burns.

As always, I'm sure Tolkein spins in his grave here, and Mr Tolkein Jr is enraged, but Lego and LotR both inspire a childish glee for me that undercuts any adult cynicism. I am gonna be buying that Orthanc model and it will be fantastic.

I like to think of that quote above as an endorsement of a 6000 piece Barad-dur set. Get on it, LEGO.

The source material is the unshakable platform for boundless imagination. It's the heart of the fans, and they take it to new heights every day! So as long as Tolkien's writing isn't forgotten in its original form, it's awesome to see how people express their enthusiasm for it. Fantastic Lego sets are merely a facet of the much larger gem :)

The source material is the unshakable platform for boundless imagination. It's the heart of the fans, and they take it to new heights every day! So as long as Tolkien's writing isn't forgotten in its original form, it's awesome to see how people express their enthusiasm for it. Fantastic Lego sets are merely a facet of the much larger gem :)

Splendid perspective. Off to fail at modelling Rivendell now.

Edmond Dantès;56128056 said:
Man of Steel most probably.

But it'll be released before that on the net.

The extended edition will be released before Christmas according to the latest news.

Certainly before the next movie for marketing purposes?

I expect October-November

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
In terms of the extended cut, seeing Gandalf's initial meeting with Bilbo will be quite touching considering what the future held for them both. Gandalf knew him his whole life, to the very end when Bilbo died in the West.

Jacob

Certainly before the next movie for marketing purposes?

I expect October-November

No doubt about the bolded.

The EEs for FOTR and TTT were released in late November, less than a month before the next film came out, and it seems to me that the trend will continue for AUJ-EE.

Aguirre

my only problem with the hobbit:an unexpectey journey is that none of the hobbits, except thorin oakenshield, kili, bofur, balin and dwalin had any real screen time... or lines for that matter.

this could be rectified in an extended edition, and i really hope it is. i do understand the difficulties in giving each dwarf screen time with dialogue... but i cant recall seeing bifur, gloin, oin, nori and bombur talk... well except bifur when he says
he noticed bilbo slip away amidst being taken away by the orcs

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
my only problem with the hobbit:an unexpectey journey is that none of the hobbits, except thorin oakenshield, kili, bofur, balin and dwalin had any real screen time... or lines for that matter.

this could be rectified in an extended edition, and i really hope it is. i do understand the difficulties in giving each dwarf screen time with dialogue... but i cant recall seeing bifur, gloin, oin, nori and bombur talk... well except bifur when he says
he noticed bilbo slip away amidst being taken away by the orcs
That'll be dealt with in the extended cut to an extent.

But we've know for a long time now that there would be a division between the 'star dwarves' and the 'lesser dwarves'.

I never thought I could be so hyped for a trailer, but, there it is. Would it be weird if the middle movie was the best out of all three? Because I can totally see that happening with these.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I wonder if they'll sneak in another reference to Beren and Luthien in this trilogy.

It could be a clever nod to the Tolkien scholars around the world who know of its significance in The Hobbit.

Beren and Luthien isn't really significant to the plot of The Hobbit though. It made sense to reference it in LotR, since Aragorn saw himself as a modern day Beren (though Arwen is certainly no Luthien IMHO), but I don't know where they'd insert it in the Hobbit

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Beren and Luthien isn't really significant to the plot of The Hobbit though. It made sense to reference it in LotR, since Aragorn saw himself as a modern day Beren (though Arwen is certainly no Luthien IMHO), but I don't know where they'd insert it in the Hobbit
A quick and easy way would be to compare the Arkenstone to the Simaril that Beren took from the crown of Melkor. All the trouble and strife that jewel caused would mirror the conflict the Arkenstone creates and the darkness it brings out in
Thorin and co.

Yeah, I guess there are parallels that could be made there. I wonder though. They only have rights to stuff that is in the Hobbit and LotR and drawing too strict a parallel could open them up to lawsuits since Beren and Luthien is straight out of the Silmarillion. Yeah, the Lay is mentioned in the LotR movies, but they were pretty vague, saying only that Luthien died. Nothing too explicit about the plot. They might have some room though, since Aragorn talked about the Lay a little bit in the book.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yeah, I guess there are parallels that could be made there. I wonder though. They only have rights to stuff that is in the Hobbit and LotR and drawing too strict a parallel could open them up to lawsuits since Beren and Luthien is straight out of the Silmarillion. Yeah, the Lay is mentioned in the LotR movies, but they were pretty vague, saying only that Luthien died. Nothing too explicit about the plot. They might have some room though, since Aragorn talked about the Lay a little bit in the book.
There's plenty of detail regarding the famous tale in Appendix A – Annals of the Kings and Rulers: (i) The Númenórean Kings. As well as in the chapter; a knife in the dark. There wouldn't be an issue with the Estate. What would cause problems is if they tried to expand on what's mentioned in the main text of the novel and the appendices.

Aguirre

did anyone feel that bilbos presence was pushed to the background from when he agrees to join the adventure? i didnt really notice it until
bilbos encounter with gollum
. i felt thorin and gandalf had more screen time, but i doubt thats the case.

There's a Q+A screening with Armitage at the Orpheum tomorrow night for anybody that lives in Sydney.

I've been offered free tickets and am still not going, if that tells you anything about how The Hobbit has fared the further I've gotten away from it.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;56156820 said:
I wonder if they'll sneak in another reference to Beren and Luthien in this trilogy.

It could be a clever nod to the Tolkien scholars around the world who know of its significance in The Hobbit.

Well there is a star-crossed love added to the movies...

did anyone feel that bilbos presence was pushed to the background from when he agrees to join the adventure? i didnt really notice it until

If anything, they gave Bilbo more to do in this section of the story. In the book, he's not very successful until Riddles in the Dark. Before then, he's just sort of there and in some cases a bit of a liability.

In the movie, they downplay that.
It is because of Bilbo rather than Gandalf that the trolls argue all night, leading to them being turned to stone. When they are captured by the Goblins in the book, one of the dwarves, Dori I think, has to carry him as they make their escape. That doesn't happen in the movie. In fact, Bilbo manages to get away from the goblins on his own. Furthermore, Bilbo has his big scene at the end of the movie where saves Thorin from Azog, something that didn't happen in the book.

I am really excited for film 2. I honestly don't know how film 3 could top it thinking through the events of the book

Super pumped for the new trailer, even if its just a short teaser.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I am really excited for film 2. I honestly don't know how film 3 could top it thinking through the events of the book

Super pumped for the new trailer, even if its just a short teaser.
The
Battle of the Five Armies
will be the biggest Middle-earth
battle
we've seen thus far. So that'll certainly be entertaining, plus the climax of the The Necromancer subplot as well as the big finale that'll
induce tears in many

Peter and co will want to go out with a bang with There and Back Again as it's very likely to be the final Middle-earth film they produce.

Edmond Dantès;56305164 said:
The
Battle of the Five Armies
will be the biggest Middle-earth
battle
we've seen thus far. So that'll certainly be entertaining, plus the climax of the The Necromancer subplot as well as the big finale that'll
induce tears in many

Peter and co will want to go out with a bang with There and Back Again as it's very likely to be the final Middle-earth film they produce.

I just finished watching all of the LOTR:EE films one at a time each weekend (one movie each Saturday). Its difficult for me to visualize how
the battle of five armies can be bigger than pelennor fields considering what is at stake with Minas Tirith and the pouring out of mordor.

I admit though that I'm not as knowledgable outside of whats explicitly written in the hobbit.

In regards to the third movie, I hope the
'Back Again' part is handled with care, as I expect it could be bittersweet and deeply moving if handled properly.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I just finished watching all of the LOTR:EE films one at a time each weekend (one movie each Saturday). I can't picture how
the battle of five armies can be bigger than pelennor fields considering what is at stake with Minas Tirith and the pouring out of mordor.

I admit though that I'm not as knowledgable outside of whats explicitly written in the hobbit.

In regards to the third movie, I hope the
'Back Again' part is handled with care, as I expect it could be bittersweet and deeply moving if handled properly.
They've said that they want to top all previous
battles
and with the added elements of
Dwarven and Elvish armies, varying terrain, Beorn, and the extra elements not found in the book,
I'm sure they'll achieve their goal.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;56308492 said:
They've said that they want to top all previous
battles
and with the added elements of
Dwarven and Elvish armies, varying terrain, Beorn, and the extra elements not found in the book,
I'm sure they'll achieve their goal.

If the rumors about
Dáin II's appearance (mohawk, riding a giant boar)
are true, then he'll definitely be quite the spectacle alone. Toss in
Beorn, the eagles, Thranduil + Legolas + Tauriel, wargs, and everything else - you have a ton of great things you can get creative with with when it comes to big battles.

Ogni-XR21

What I found interesting when watching the Blu Ray I got recently is that Sir Ian McKellen is the first name mentioned in the credits, not Martin Freeman. I found that very odd...

Aguirre

just read a comment on youtube. the person was "disgusted" because peter jackson shoehorned in
gollum and the one ring
to get people to watch the movie, that the whole scene felt divorced from the rest of the movie . he genuinely did not realize the
ring and gollum
were in the hobbit. or i've been trolled. smh.

Loxley

just read a comment on youtube. the person was "disgusted" because peter jackson shoehorned in gollum and the one ring to get people to watch the movie. he genuinely did not realize the ring and gollum were in the hobbit. or i've been trolled. smh.

I read far too many similar thoughts around the time of AUJ's release. Hell there were people who thought the entire film was an invention of Peter Jackson, "Oh for God's sake they made a prequel to The Lord of the Rings? Lame."

Then again the comments section of a YouTube video is where stupidy and ignorance are born and thrive, so I don't bother to correct people.

With Bilbo, I'm reminded of Plinkett's TPM review, and why Anakin wasn't a good protagonist: "The things that are happening around him are pretty much out of his control or understanding."

Also, anybody else get a Top Gun vibe from that scene at the end where
Thorin shouts at Bilbo, "YOU!!! ....you can be my wingman any time."

Platy

With Bilbo, I'm reminded of Plinkett's TPM review, and why Anakin wasn't a good protagonist: "The things that are happening around him are pretty much out of his control or understanding."

Also, anybody else get a Top Gun vibe from that scene at the end where
Thorin shouts at Bilbo, "YOU!!! ....you can be my wingman any time."

if by Top Gun vibe you mean you could see the fanfictions and fanarts comes to live ... than yes, I fot a Top Gun vibe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom