• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hunger Games (Dir. Gary Ross) |OT| May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

hate spoilers on the phone but they are
Limited avoxes
No Madge
Capital is indeed toned down on purpose
Cinna's crew has reduced time. So no bringing Kat to base 0 (I think that's what they call it

That last one could kind of suck for subsequent movies, depending on what they mean by reduced--two of the scenes I view as important emptional points for the series are (book two and three spoilers)
the prep team breaking down/having to leave the room while getting Katniss prepped for her second games, because awwwwww, and Katniss finding the prep team locked up in District 13, for kind of highlighting how harsh the whole situation is.
Both are still possible, but if they decided to scale back to nonexistance well, that'd suck. Not vital to the plot, but good for expanding the world a little

Made my peace with the other three, though.

JGS

Banned
All those changes seem 100% and for the betterment of the film.
For the movie probably so (Except the Capital). It's far more important to have a cohesive story even if some things are lost. They all make the book fleshed out past Katniss.
That last one could kind of suck for subsequent movies, depending on what they mean by reduced--two of the scenes I view as important emptional points for the series are (book two and three spoilers)
the prep team breaking down/having to leave the room while getting Katniss prepped for her second games, because awwwwww, and Katniss finding the prep team locked up in District 13, for kind of highlighting how harsh the whole situation is.
Both are still possible, but if they decided to scale back to nonexistance well, that'd suck. Not vital to the plot, but good for expanding the world a little

Made my peace with the other three, though.
I think they could have all sucked depending on how they handle it. I don't think it will for the movie though. As it stands, they are
combining characters for streamlining (Cinna becomes his crew, Madge becomes Prim) emotional and that makes sense. However, as you indicated, the connections Katniss gained with Capital folk is what helps her to realize.

Madge missing altogether means that Haymitch's story won't be fleshed out or loop the Mockingjay pin back to the big picture of the cause (I like all the connections in the book). Since it's solid gold and the only reason Katniss family doesn't starve is because she illegally hunts, I'm interested in how Prim got the pin to begin with.

Like I said, I'm overworried about it. If I had gone into John Carter worrying about how much changed from that book, I would have been worrying about nothing.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I honestly like that they [book 3 spoilers]
changed the pin stuff for the movies. I think spending precious minutes building a character that dies off-screen and makes Katniss go like "oh, ok, she died, too bad" for like three paragraphs would be a real waste.

JGS

Banned
I honestly like that they [book 3 spoilers]
changed the pin stuff for the movies. I think spending precious minutes building a character that dies off-screen and makes Katniss go like "oh, ok, she died, too bad" for like three paragraphs would be a real waste.
I agree but think
Cenna should have just given it to her
since they are bulking up that character anyway.
The pin could also lack value, but if it stays gold, it makes no sense if that makes sense.

Brazil

I agree but think
Cenna should have just given it to her
since they are bulking up that character anyway.
The pin could also lack value, but if it stays gold, it makes no sense if that makes sense.

Yeah, it makes sense. But I'm sure they came up with something. I mean, Collins helped with the script.

JGS

Banned
I know. It should be fine. I'm not really worried that much, just obsessing over what I'm familiar with.

The Hobbit will have a bigger WW gross. The WW appeal is much bigger.

maybe domestic, but Hobbit will destroy it worldwide.
The Dark Knight wasn't exactly a slouch internationally, grossing about $470m without China. And Inception has only made Christopher Nolan a bigger name overseas (it grossed over $530m).

I have no doubt Hobbit will beat it internationally, but I'd bet on it not being enough to overcome the domestic difference.

The Dark Knight wasn't exactly a slouch internationally, grossing about $470m without China. And Inception has only made Christopher Nolan a bigger name overseas (it grossed over $530m).

I have no doubt Hobbit will beat it internationally, but I'd bet on it not being enough to overcome the domestic difference.

Hobbit will destroy all worldwide. I will make a bet on it. Just look at ROTK numbers. It's international was giant, and international has only gotten bigger since 2003. DKR may beat it domestic (maybe), but international for Hobbit will be the biggest this year.

I'm on team Hobbit this B.O year.

Seriously. It won't even be fair. The wild card is Avengers. That will be big, but it could possibly be HUGE.

But no matter how well Hobbit does, Dark Knight will win for opening weekend among the two. Twilight will probably win opening day for the year.

Seriously. It won't even be fair. The wild card is Avengers. That will be big, but it could possibly be HUGE.

But no matter how well Hobbit does, Dark Knight will win for opening weekend among the two. Twilight will probably win opening day for the year.

Avengers won't have a chance against The Hobbit or TDKR. I will make a bet on that.

Avengers won't have a chance against The Hobbit or TDKR. I will make a bet on that.

I put it in wild card territory. It will do exceptionally well domestic and worldwide. But just how big is up in the air.

But both of us will surely go make a bet on here that Hobbit will destroy all worldwide. Right?

I'd be surprised if it made more than Iron Man.

I think Spider-Man will make more than The Avengers.

Amazing Spider Man will be the lowest grossing of the series unless it just blows minds. Which I doubt it will. At least domestic it will be lowest grossing.

Avengers will outgross Iron Man. Domestic and ww.

Spider Man and Avengers will be close in gross.

tranciful

It's different. I'm a fan of Battle Royale but the story is different. I used to say the same thing.

I didn't really like Battle Royale much and Hunger Games doesn't sound any better, so I'll probably pass. I just thought it was interesting. Did some googling after my last post and found out BR vs HG is a popular topic.

I put it in wild card territory. It will do exceptionally well domestic and worldwide. But just how big is up in the air.

But both of us will surely go make a bet on here that Hobbit will destroy all worldwide. Right?
I'll take you up on that bet. ;) Dark Knight Rises > Hobbit worldwide thanks to a monster domestic difference.

For the record, I also believe DKR will taking home the opening day and weekend records, with $100m and $205m, respectively.

Koodo

Banned
5djeP.png

More pictures from the premiere.

I'll take you up on that bet. ;) Dark Knight Rises > Hobbit worldwide thanks to a monster domestic difference.

For the record, I also believe DKR will taking home the opening day and weekend records, with $100m and $205m, respectively.

I'd take that bet with somebody else that I would enjoy having avatar design choices over. I wonder how much faith DM has in TDKR.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Apparently he's actually 5'7'' or something like that.

Yeah like I believe his publicist. I hope they put him in lifts (or on stilts) for the movie cause it looks heck of silly with whats-her-face towering a foot over him.

Okay, so an avatar bet then. But an avatar of the winner's choosing. And whomever loses has to use it for a month or two months?

And that is total gross WW. Not opening weekends or days. I know DKR will win opening weekend over Hobbit. But Hobbit will have stronger legs.

UK version was cut down 7 seconds to get a lower rating:

"A number of cuts were made in one scene to reduce an emphasis on blood and injury," the report states. "These cuts, which were implemented by digitally removing sight of blood splashes and sight of blood on wounds and weapons, were made in accordance with BBFC Guidelines and policy. An uncut 15 classification was available. These cuts were made in addition to reductions already made following an earlier 'advice' viewing of an incomplete version."

Glad it will be a "harder" PG-13 for the US.

UK version was cut down 7 seconds to get a lower rating:

Glad it will be a "harder" PG-13 for the US.

There are two deaths that need to be grisly in the US one to make me happy.

The first death. When that kid just spews blood all over Katniss it is shocking. The other is the kid who kills Rue. If I remember right he takes an arrow through the throat.

I raise you guys a 'battleship'.

That is just trolling. Nice try though. Battleship will not come anywhere near DKR or Hobbit numbers unless there is some insane miracle.

If the book was written by a competent author it would be amazing... Just thinking about this book written in a Game of Thrones style makes me all giddy inside.

You mean really boring and over filled with tons of needless shit.
I have no doubt in the hands of a better author this world would have been better but not in the hands of george.

Tom_Cody

Based on the last Avengers trailer and the reception it got (beating TDKR in views) I think it will have a shot. More than that though, I am basing my opinion on TF3's global gross. If the transformers franchise was able to reach the heights of Tolkien and Batman, I think it's at least conceivable that the Avengers will reach that level. I mean, come on:

untitled-1czjkc.gif

Based on the last Avengers trailer and the reception it got (beating TDKR in views) I think it will have a shot. More than that though, I am basing my opinion on TF3's global gross. If the transformers franchise was able to reach the heights of Tolkien and Batman, I think it's at least conceivable that the Avengers will reach that level. I mean, come on:

untitled-1czjkc.gif

Just that clip makes me think the movie should be called HULK SMASH!: Guest starring The Avengers.

Brazil

Yeah like I believe his publicist. I hope they put him in lifts (or on stilts) for the movie cause it looks heck of silly with whats-her-face towering a foot over him.

You say that like she isn't obviously wearing huge high heels there.

There are two deaths that need to be grisly in the US one to make me happy.

The first death. When that kid just spews blood all over Katniss it is shocking. The other is the kid who kills Rue. If I remember right he takes an arrow through the throat.

Yup, that's right.
Can't wait to see that ridiculous face of his getting destroyed.

Solo

It absolutely will not. Not saying Spider-Man won't make bank, but TDKR is going to cut hard into ASM's box office.

They are two weeks apart though. ASM will have made most of its money by then.

S-M1 made $223M after 2 weeks, $404M total. So it made 55% of its gross in 2 weeks.
S-M2 made $256M after 2 weeks, $374M total. So it made 68% of its gross in 2 weeks.
S-M3 made $240M after 2 weeks, $337M total. So it made 71% of its gross in 2 weeks.

Domestic numbers.

EDIT: they are actually 2.5 weeks apart.

Cheebo

Banned
Worldwide:
Hobbit > Batman > Avengers

Domestic:
Batman > Hobbit > Avengers

Avengers will do solid numbers, best marvel movie in terms of box office but the fact hulk, thor, & captain america did modest at best and iron man 2 wasn't that well received will hurt it.

JGS

Banned
Just that clip makes me think the movie should be called HULK SMASH!: Guest starring The Avengers.

The trailer in front of John Carter was great but felt unbalanced. I think Iron Man is the star from that which makes sense. I'm interested in how they tame Hulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom