• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

PK Gaming

so, NISA managed to piss off a lot of fans, falcom, and it seems the voice actors too?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=251785862&postcount=259

Other places I'm reading that the VAs have started saying they wouldn't reprise their roles if NISA got cold steel 3 (which is why along with the letter to xseed I'm cross posting this here).

Imagine being this good at your job that the voice actors lobbying for your success

God I hope Xseed lands CS3 soon

Imagine being this good at your job that the voice actors lobbying for your success

God I hope Xseed lands CS3 soon
lets be honest though, sales are going to eat shit if anyone other than xseed lands it. The games sales potential is already limited by the fact that its completely dependent on playing and completing 2 previous games. The players that have played it are very much attached to the work xseed has done. There is no real market for another company to grab.

If xseed isn't the company localizing it then I'm bailing out. I'm sure many others would feel like doing the same. Especially those that are already playing the game in Japanese and will lose the reason to double dip. Whats left would be the people determined to see it through regardless of a massive drop in quality and most definitely consistency.

Ys didn't have much to worry about there. Consistency is a minimal requirement in the series, and VIII is the first game to give much of a shit about its story anyway. Aksys snagging Tokyo Xanadu of course had a completely new IP so nothing for them to worry about there.

I feel like other localizers probably see these factors and realize how foolish it would be to try and take on a massive project like CS3 and release it to instant backlash.

Also, does XSEED own the copyright/trademark for the title "Trails of Cold Steel"? Would be another limiting factor for sales if an encroaching company needed to find a new name

Neoweee

Thank you to the folks who suggested I look into Turbo Mode and helped me set it up.

Absolute gamechanger, holy shit. <3 <3 Wish I had that when I played FC/SC back then (I think it got patched in later?), but right now my enjoyment of the game has dramatically increased.

You could always use Cheat Engine to do the same, but the official implementation (back-added when Cold Steel 1 came to PC) is definitely a cleaner implementation of it, with different speeds for battle/world.

I found FC basically unplayable without either of the speed improvements, but really liked it after.

It'd quite shocking if XSeed owned the copyright/trademark for the title. Falcom almost certainly owns it.
I tried to find copyright/trademark info but failed...

Does falcom have a US arm to get the trademark? Its not like its unprecedented for the localized name to be held by the localization company. Harvest Moon being owned by Natsume, and now the newer games are being released as Story of Seasons.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Not announcing CS III until it's a just few months away from its projected release seems like a very XSEED thing to do.

preta

Sen III OST is up in Falcom's catalog. Out 11/15, 4 discs spread across 2 volumes (sold separately or as a single package), 90 tracks. Volume 1, volume 2. There are some spoilers in track titles, so be warned - I didn't look much at volume 2's, but I can confirm there's an early-game (but still surprising) one in volume 1 if you can read katakana.

This also confirms now that the PV 1 theme is called STEP AHEAD and the regular battle theme is called Brave Steel.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just played
Kloe
's door in Trails 3rd and I couldn't remember who
Lechter
was and why I should be familiar with him... Had to Google him and... ooooooooh xD

lisaeves

Neo Member
random question. how many playable characters are there? i could sneak a look at the kiseki wiki, but that seems like a bad idea.

I know you're probably right but I do worry about it. Hopefully we find out something soon enough about CS3.
I'm still worried about it too....If NISA was willing to release Ys VIII in the state they did, I can't put it past them that they'd be willing to snake cold steel and fuck it up in a hurry too

preta

I'm still worried about it too....If NISA was willing to release Ys VIII in the state they did, I can't put it past them that they'd be willing to snake cold steel and fuck it up in a hurry too

For what it's worth, Falcom licensed the entire Sky arc to XSEED as one object, rather than game by game, and seemingly did the same for Cold Steel I and II. (XSEED got those two at the same time, at least.) Obviously they couldn't include Cold Steel III at the time since it wasn't even announced, but it makes me think they might be inclined to approach XSEED first.

Given the high profile backlash to NISA's localization of Ys VIII, even to the point of being reported on Japanese websites, I have reasonable hope that Falcom will be reluctant to work with NISA in the future.

PK Gaming

NISA is pretty much out of the way, but we still need to worry about Aksys (though the potential for them pulling a money hat over Xseed is smaller)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
NISA is pretty much out of the way, but we still need to worry about Aksys (though the potential for them pulling a money hat over Xseed is smaller)

I don't think Aksys is going to actively try to outbid XSEED for CS3, they would probably only pursue it if XSEED didn't, kind of like Tokyo Xanadu. Assuming they even want to try to tackle something like that in the first place.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Sen 3. Loved it.
But Claire and Millium are the worst.
Sen 3 is also like a top tier middle part of a trilogy which makes sen1/2 look even poorer.
Can't wait for Sen 4.

PK Gaming

Finished Sen 3. Loved it.
But Claire and Millium are the worst.
Sen 3 is also like a top tier middle part of a trilogy which makes sen1/2 look even poorer.
Can't wait for Sen 4.

*Major Sen 3 spoilers, please be careful*

You're going to talk shit about a dead girl? Huuuuuuuuuh???

And Sen 3 Claire doesn't seem... great

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
*Major Sen 3 spoilers, please be careful*

You're going to talk shit about a dead girl? Huuuuuuuuuh???

And Sen 3 Claire doesn't seem... great

Sen 3 end spoilers
Millium deserves it as Mrs I'm class 7 first and foremost holding a speech about that and I will protect my sis Altina until I'm not and gonna betray class 7 just for a bit and actively aid in the sacrifice of my sis which also actively leads Erebonia into ruin just cause Osbro the guy I said was my second priority....until I flip flop again in the end.

Millium's thinking process is dumb as heck and I'm glad she paid for it.
There was no reason established why she wouldn't at that point try to help class 7 try to reach for a third solution and even when that fails still sacrifice herself in the end.
Her betrayal made me not care at all about her since it was so poorly done. The way all the games portrayed her was that her bond at that point with class 7 should have surpassed her obligations as she herself declared.
Only schadenfreude for her death :-x and it doesn't even make up for all the other shit that Erebonia has to deal with now + other casualties. I hope I get to tell Clair to screw off too in Sen 4. Cause Claire is portrayed as being smart enough that she should have known what she aided in wasn't right and at that point her emotional bonds towards Osbro and Rean should have had close to similar weight at least enough where she should have sided with class 7 just for the fact to protect Erebonia.

I still like Sharon cause there's a code established with her and she basically had a similar think going on just more relatable.

Neoweee

No localization company in their right mind would ever want to localize the Trails series.

Yeah, it is kind of a nightmare project.

- Huge scripts
- Niche genre
- Requires or heavily catered to an audience that has played previous games.
- Huge demands on consistency to other games in the series.

Is it even plausible that other publishers would pick up the 4th, 5th, and 8th games for English localization.

PK Gaming

Sen 3 end spoilers
Millium deserves it as Mrs I'm class 7 first and foremost holding a speech about that and I will protect my sis Altina until I'm not and gonna betray class 7 just for a bit and actively aid in the sacrifice of my sis which also actively leads Erebonia into ruin just cause Osbro the guy I said was my second priority....until I flip flop again in the end.

Millium's thinking process is dumb as heck and I'm glad she paid for it.
There was no reason established why she wouldn't at that point try to help class 7 try to reach for a third solution and even when that fails still sacrifice herself in the end.
Her betrayal made me not care at all about her since it was so poorly done. The way all the games portrayed her was that her bond at that point with class 7 should have surpassed her obligations as she herself declared.
Only schadenfreude for her death :-x and it doesn't even make up for all the other shit that Erebonia has to deal with now + other casualties. I hope I get to tell Clair to screw off too in Sen 4. Cause Claire is portrayed as being smart enough that she should have known what she aided in wasn't right and at that point her emotional bonds towards Osbro and Rean should have had close to similar weight at least enough where she should have sided with class 7 just for the fact to protect Erebonia.

I still like Sharon cause there's a code established with her and she basically had a similar think going on just more relatable.

Sen 3 spoilers

I saw it as a pride thing. "'I'm all about class VII but I'm gonna fight you guys cuz I'm an Ironblood too, and hey maybe everything will work out and we'll stop fighting!"

That said, I get where you're coming from. As for me, Sen III is going to make replaying CS1/2 a bit harder.

MILLIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nyoro SF

I have had Sen 3 for a while but I have been so busy the past few weeks I haven't had a chance to continue. Reached the end of chapter 1.

One thing I really appreciate is that the game is taking the time to answer a ton of the lingering questions I had about CS1 and CS2 that were left lingering, all in the first chapter of CS3. At first I thought Falcom was going to let these details slide but they did a great job wrapping them up and now we can start moving the story forward big time with a stronger foundation and understanding.

vkrili

There's one thing from the end of CS2 that I really want to know if they attempt to answer in CS3. Don't give me details, just a ---yes--- or a ---no--- under spoilers.

CS2:
Do they explain how everyone else managed to get into the Infernal Castle?

PK Gaming

There's one thing from the end of CS2 that I really want to know if they attempt to answer in CS3. Don't give me details, just a ---yes--- or a ---no--- under spoilers.

CS2:
Do they explain how everyone else managed to get into the Infernal Castle?

No.........

The most important question for CSIII. Can you romance
Sara?
Please answer yes or no.

Nah

Is there any reason to believe that Falcom has dropped XSEED? It doesn't seem like XSEED is big enough to manage all of the titles Falcom wants localized anyways.

Re: VA - Sen III seems to use some sort of pseudo silent protagonist / player stand-in logic when it comes to many voiced scenes, so you have a lot of scenes where there is a conversation between Rean and another character, but Rean himself is not voiced. I'm assuming XSEED will fill in the blanks here.

Top Bottom