• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us | Official Trailer | HBO Max

At 1:20, how is there any morbidly obese people left 20 years into the zombie apocalypse. Where we even getting enough food to keep a lady looking like that, let alone how's she managed to keep away from the zombs all this time.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
At 1:20, how is there any morbidly obese people left 20 years into the zombie apocalypse. Where we even getting enough food to keep a lady looking like that, let alone how's she managed to keep away from the zombs all this time.

twinkies-origi.99539d19c4899e8bdafeb8f75ac2845e.jpg

I dont think it will but I hope it does better than other game adaptations. The format works in its favour which is why movies are never a good thing because they are way too short to show off the whole world and connect to characters so TV show is a good choice.But can at least ONE director for fucks sake stick to the source material and stop acting like they know what would be a better take? I was also surprised how well animation adaptations work recently. Way better than live action, maybe because the drawn characters actually do look like the ones from games and follow the storyline closely.

Last edited:
I dont think it will but I hope it does better than other game adaptations. The format works in its favour which is why movies are never a good thing because they are way too short to show off the whole world and connect to characters so TV show is a good choice.But can at least ONE director for fucks sake stick to the source material and stop acting like they know what would be a better take? I was also surprised how well animation adaptations work recently. Way better than live action, maybe because the drawn characters actually do look like the ones from games and follow the storyline closely.

The person who made the game is literally directing 2 episodes and overseeing the show lol

The person who made the game is literally directing 2 episodes and overseeing the show lol

Except they said the main director didnt even play the game so not too optimistic. Its like en ego thing, they always think they can do it better but forget the game already got awards for its story so no need to change it. But lets see.

Last edited:
Except they said the main director didnt even play the game so not too optimistic. Its like en ego thing, they always think they can do it better but forget the game already got awards for its story so no need to change it. But lets see.

The team at Naughty axed the movie deal because the studio deviated too far from the source material. They wanted it more action packed and they wanted sex scenes in it.

Mazin is actually a big fan of the game, this is his dream project. It didn’t fall into his lap like most game adaptations

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

Gonna another case of a bunch who don't really respect the source material making the TV show, will it? 🤨

“When you’re playing a section, you’re killing people, and when you die you get sent back to the checkpoint. All those people are back, moving around in the same way,” said Mazin in an interview with The New Yorker. “Watching a person die, I think, ought to be much different than watching pixels die.”

Yeah, he's 100% right. If you don't agree or feel the need to push back against this, you probably aren't engaging with what he's talking about in terms of the consequences of story choices in the different media.

It is by definition desensitizing to be able to die 100 times as a character, and still restart at the last checkpoint -- that's going to be much different than a death in a linear narrative, like film.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
“When you’re playing a section, you’re killing people, and when you die you get sent back to the checkpoint. All those people are back, moving around in the same way,” said Mazin in an interview with The New Yorker. “Watching a person die, I think, ought to be much different than watching pixels die.”

Yeah, he's 100% right. If you don't agree or feel the need to push back against this, you probably aren't engaging with what he's talking about in terms of the consequences of story choices in the different media.

It is by definition desensitizing to be able to die 100 times as a character, and still restart at the last checkpoint -- that's going to be much different than a death in a linear narrative, like film.
If he's talking about the hunter thugs you have sneak around of or kill once spotted he might have a point, the deaths of story characters were impactful despite the stylized graphics.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
For us as gamers, yeah it does.

But for the new audience and this tv format I can understand the creative leniency. Pretty difficult to convey character arcs and progression with a mask over their face during encounters.

I guess it can be hard for actors to portray emotions with mask covering their faces. Still, not a worthy trade-off. It's just generic zombie disease now, shame.

Pelta88

I guess it can be hard for actors to portray emotions with mask covering their faces. Still, not a worthy trade-off. It's just generic zombie disease now, shame.

Zombie lore isn't ready Naughty Dog innovation.

That audience will be used to familiar zombie tropes. They're about to be introduced to 3 types of zombies one of which has a flower/tree growing out of it's face and skull. Baby steps to guide them into the innovation. But I'm kinda biased lol. We've been talking about how good a tv show this would make and I can't believe we're just a few days away from the premier.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Shame on the spores thing, but surely they could have got creative in not doing too much in the way of dramatic scenes with the spores....such a shame. It would be bad ass to have Ellie just walking through the spore areas when everyone else is shitting it.

I mean its not cordiceps without spores so what is it?

I bet they couldn't work out how to do a spores infested area without it costing a fortune or looking shite.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Gold Member
Zombie lore isn't ready Naughty Dog innovation.

That audience will be used to familiar zombie tropes. They're about to be introduced to 3 types of zombies one of which has a flower/tree growing out of it's face and skull. Baby steps to guide them into the innovation. But I'm kinda biased lol. We've been talking about how good a tv show this would make and I can't believe we're just a few days away from the premier.
We've been through 2 years of a pandemic I think audiences can understand airborne viruses by now

skneogaf

I like the look of the bits in the air in the upside down in stranger things so it could have looked amazing!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Man I just cant get over the Ellie casting. I am trying so much to do so. I do think she is a good actress, but the sheer appearance difference is almost insurmountable.

Hopefully they knock everything else out of the park. Not long now. Just 1 week.

xrnzaaas

Spores being removed from the show is a bigger travesty than the casting decisions. They're destroying a lot of Ellie's character (how she needs to hide her immunity) and people not familiar with the games won't even know about that. Besides it's not like it was an impossible problem for a tv show. They didn't wear masks all the time in the games and they could actually shoot some cool scenes based on the limited sights of the characters using them.

Venuspower

Man I just cant get over the Ellie casting. I am trying so much to do so. I do think she is a good actress, but the sheer appearance difference is almost insurmountable.

I feel you. Just stop trying to get over it. Worked quite well for me. Just accept that the series is not a 1:1 clone of the game and the characters look different as a result. Even in terms of performance, Bella will put her own touch in there. Therefore, it will also be different from that point of view. The only thing that matters to me is that the performance is "Ellie-worthy". But as long as she delivers for me in some specific scenes, it is all good.

mitchman

Gold Member
I've just seen this and tiny bit of interest I had for this has dissipated! Spores are a huge part of the world.

Ellie proves her immunity by breathing the spores in front of Joel!

When Joel wears a gas mask it adds to the claustrophobia, its a integral part of the feeling!

I'm very likely to rate 1/10 ASAP ie review bomb!
The spores will likely not compress well for a streaming show, would probably cause compression artifacts.

Top Bottom