• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II Director doesn't understand relaunching critiscism.

cormack12

Gold Member
AvXBfWM0yXaJmXwJJxWfOq5Ngpg=.gif

Fair.
What about Diablo 2 resurrected?
Also a remake. While you can shift to the old graphics, every enemy, environment, and character was remade in 3d, there were balance changes, the cinematics were completely redone, and the endgame was changed completely. Which, it would have had to be, the game was basically 20 years old when the resurrected version came out.

Compare that to the Warcraft 3 remaster which was absolute dogshit.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's not the pricing I take issue with.

What I take issue with is the fixation on graphical changes as the totality of what constitutes remastering.

Pretty ironic considering the term originates from music!

Its a good looking game, and its always been a good looking game, so its pretty debatable what value pushing the boat out in that aspect would have. That said, what's absolutely unforgivably stupid in my opinion is ignoring changes elsewhere to the user experience. As if haptics, and load time improvements and additional content don't factor in!

EruditeHobo

I agree.
if you are tired of buying it or played it enough- look elsewhere.
Not everyone is in that same boat. There is even more incentive with the HBO Show getting season 2 and introducing/refreshing people.

Seriously. It's not that complicated.

Don't like it... don't support it. Many others will disagree, they want improvements and optimal versions of games that they love made available.

Toons

Yep, current naughty dog is pretty out of touch with reality

So are most of the posters in this thread whining about 10 bucks, sounds like a match made in heaven
Right. Just like many other gaming studios, but I don't often see this same level of self masturbatory behavior as I do with Naughty Dog.
Theres nothing masturbatory about anything in this article or this thread.
Who's praying for their downfall? Who said that, cause it wasn't me.
You said you can "see their next games failing" with zero concrete evidence or any indication anything is heading gib that direction.

Uh kinda? Let's not pretend Neil wasn't piggybacking off the Emmy Award winning Craig Mazin, who won awards for writing and producing. And before you think it, no I'm not rooting against Neil. If he fully breaks into Hollywood by leaving gaming behind and creates an awesome new show, then great. Hope I like it. My point was that it seems like making it in Hollywood may be taking a lot of Neil's focus away from game development.
I mean probably. But I'd rather they took their time if there was gonna be a TLOU3 than rush it just to make people think he was still into games. I dont think he's made any indication of leaving gaming.

Really? I didn't know that something I didn't like may be liked a lot by others. Thank you for enlightening me with your unmitigated wit Aristotle.
I can only respond to the perspective you send across with your posts.

Toons

Five iterations (technically six I guess) of two games is just wild.

Some people at ND must be sick and tired of this series by now.

The ppl at ND are happy to have a consistent and steady income on an IP that is immensely popular, sells reliably and is only going to do so more in the coming years.

In an industry as fickle and shaky as the gaming one i can almost assure you thy dont lament that they get to work on an acclaimed game and see actual money for it long term.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Also a remake. While you can shift to the old graphics, every enemy, environment, and character was remade in 3d, there were balance changes, the cinematics were completely redone, and the endgame was changed completely. Which, it would have had to be, the game was basically 20 years old when the resurrected version came out.

Compare that to the Warcraft 3 remaster which was absolute dogshit.
The internet says it’s a remaster. I mean you hit one button in game to turn it into the original graphics. Sounds like… Blizzard put in a lot of effort into the remaster. Which is the argument here that ND didn’t do shit with this and called it a remaster when it’s basically a patch at best?

rYwHd5i.jpg

Kokoloko85

Those games were specifically released as "director's cut" though, not as a "remaster", including heavy discounts for people already owning the base game.
You dont pay full price for this either if you own the base game.

Who cares if its called directors cut or remaster. TLOU1 got a remaster straight away on PS4.

Its essentially for new players who dont own a PS4 or the PS4 version

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
2013 - PS3 LOU1
2014 - PS4 LOU1 Remaster

2020 - PS4 LOU2
2022 - PS5 LOU Part 1
2024 - PS5 LOU2 Remaster
-------------------------
2027 - PS5 LOU3 (very likely given 1 and 2 releasing last year of a generation)
2028 - PS6 LOU Part 1 Directors Cut
2030 - PS6 LOU3 Remaster
2032 - PS6 LOU Part 2
etc...........

No joke. Going forward from PS5 LOU2 game, try to figure out a logical path. its insane how they milk it.

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts:

- This is not a remaster but a DLC / update at the "scandalous" price of 10 USD.

- Though milking of the series is pretty obvious, I think this DLC happens for two reasons:

1) They are recycling part of the content from the canceled MP game.

2) PlayStation Studios' production is lacking. The management of first-party titles is beyond pathetic. If Sony released three high-caliber games alongside this DLC, nobody would give a damn about this.

Eiknarf

Banned
Speaking of this game

Does anyone know who we spend more time playing as? Ellie or Abby?

Or is it kinda evenly split ?

Dorago

The "old" version came out three and a half years ago and was playable on the PS5 day one. What improvements have been made in those three years? What unique PS5 features are implemented in this version? Will owners of the existing version be given a discount on this version?

Eiknarf

Banned
The "old" version came out three and a half years ago and was playable on the PS5 day one. What improvements have been made in those three years? What unique PS5 features are implemented in this version? Will owners of the existing version be given a discount on this version?
The Dualsense trigger effects and haptic feedback AND the No Return gameplay make it nice to have

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
No Return is great. In the story encounters, I tend to play as sneaky as possible, but with No Return, the enemies often know exactly where you are PLUS you get more points for faster completion.

It made me appreciate the more frenetic side of the TLOU combat system.

If it didn't contain No Return or the lost levels and was full price I could understand some complaints.

But No Return is a fantastic addition and I enjoyed the lost levels and the remaster portion is a welcome addition too. Can't see why there'd be any complaints. Personally I think at 10 dollars they are undercharging for it.

Eiknarf

Banned
If it didn't contain No Return or the lost levels and was full price I could understand some complaints.

But No Return is a fantastic addition and I enjoyed the lost levels and the remaster portion is a welcome addition too. Can't see why there'd be any complaints. Personally I think at 10 dollars they are undercharging for it.
Dude, I bought the new, native, physical PS5 version for $49 and it’s worth every penny

SSfox

Useless remaster. They should have just release a free update like Capcom did with PS4 re games and move on to their next new -not rereremasteted- game.

Last edited:
Considering the additional content like No Return the much better situation in terms of pop in and the fact no one is forced to upgrade yeah it makes little sense for anyone to complain.

This was used to rain new hires as well.

Also it's quite clear this simply a part of their PC port process which will come in the next year inevitably.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The story is a service to apocalypse fans and with the hbo series taking off why not.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
What is it?

Honestly it's the fact that it feels redundant, either bereft of ideas or bereft the autonomy to go against Sony's blueprint now that ND has earned such a pedigreed reputation as the cutting edge studio. I get the boilerplate "it gets the story and the game to more people," idea, and that's well and good, but it's starting to feel aggressive and long in the tooth.

These aren't arcade classics or something. The Last of Us is becoming too saturated in the media. It's a good story, and two functionally incredible games, but it just feels off and weird to me. Playing with the pre-release journo lulz for a moment, it's like if they made a radio adaptation, a tabletop board game and an escape room out of Schindler's List.

Honestly it's the fact that it feels redundant, either bereft of ideas or bereft the autonomy to go against Sony's blueprint now that ND has earned such a pedigreed reputation as the cutting edge studio. I get the boilerplate "it gets the story and the game to more people," idea, and that's well and good, but it's starting to feel aggressive and long in the tooth.

These aren't arcade classics or something. The Last of Us is becoming too saturated in the media. It's a good story, and two functionally incredible games, but it just feels off and weird to me. Playing with the pre-release journo lulz for a moment, it's like if they made a radio adaptation, a tabletop board game and an escape room out of Schindler's List.
So a show and, two remasters and a remake is bad? Lol?

Disco Dave

2013 - PS3 LOU1
2014 - PS4 LOU1 Remaster

2020 - PS4 LOU2
2022 - PS5 LOU Part 1
2024 - PS5 LOU2 Remaster
-------------------------
2027 - PS5 LOU3 (very likely given 1 and 2 releasing last year of a generation)
2028 - PS6 LOU Part 1 Directors Cut
2030 - PS6 LOU3 Remaster
2032 - PS6 LOU Part 2
etc...........

No joke. Going forward from PS5 LOU2 game, try to figure out a logical path. its insane how they milk it.
They will probably remaster TLOU HBO show while waiting for the third game...

Top Bottom