• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hmm, let me check my notes on deep, meaningful Rings of Power wisdom for an answer:

The sea is always right.

There is a tempest in me.

Stab, twist, gut.

There can be no trust between hammer and rock.

Nothing is evil in the beginning.

An avalanche can start with one stone.

Faith may bind one heart, but it is too fine a thread from which to hang a kingdom.

Cleverness is for men of small ambition.

It's folly to kick against a current.

Loyalty to a friend ought to be expected regardless of his race.

A kingdom should be led, not dragged.

A burden shared may be halved or doubled, depending on the heart that receives it.

Sometimes to find the light, we must first touch the darkness.

Find the light, and the shadow will not find you.

Despise not the labor which humbles the heart.

The iron that must bear the most heavy of burdens must also endure the most rigorous tempering.

It darkens the heart, to call dark deeds good. It gives place for evil to thrive inside us.

What cannot be known hollows the mind. Fill it not with guesswork.

Every war is fought both without and within. Of that every soldier must be mindful.

92QqwdK.gif
That awkward moment when the quotes in the beginning of every Clone Wars episode had more wisdom and resonance than what is supposed to compliment the upper echelons of literary work. On a billy budget no less.

Alex11

Can I just express how pathetic the name of the music guy is. His name is Bear for chrissake. Not only is that a poorly written first name but it is clearly shitting all over the lore and is an affront to the magesty of the beornings.
Well, to be fair, he was always going against the music of the LOTR trilogy. But even so, yeah, the music is a bit bland, with one exception for me, I liked it in episode 6.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hmm, let me check my notes on deep, meaningful Rings of Power wisdom for an answer:

The sea is always right.

There is a tempest in me.

Stab, twist, gut.

There can be no trust between hammer and rock.

Nothing is evil in the beginning.

An avalanche can start with one stone.

Faith may bind one heart, but it is too fine a thread from which to hang a kingdom.

Cleverness is for men of small ambition.

It's folly to kick against a current.

Loyalty to a friend ought to be expected regardless of his race.

A kingdom should be led, not dragged.

A burden shared may be halved or doubled, depending on the heart that receives it.

Sometimes to find the light, we must first touch the darkness.

Find the light, and the shadow will not find you.

Despise not the labor which humbles the heart.

The iron that must bear the most heavy of burdens must also endure the most rigorous tempering.

It darkens the heart, to call dark deeds good. It gives place for evil to thrive inside us.

What cannot be known hollows the mind. Fill it not with guesswork.

Every war is fought both without and within. Of that every soldier must be mindful.

92QqwdK.gif
Damn, are all of those actual quotes from the show? Or did you lift them from www.fortunecookie.com?

Trying hard to find the positives....
The dwarves are good. Possibly the only thing I'm emotionally invested in. In fact, if they made the entire first season about them just mining mithril and stumbling upon the balrog it would have been quite good.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Trying hard to find the positives....
The dwarves are good. Possibly the only thing I'm emotionally invested in. In fact, if they made the entire first season about them just mining mithril and stumbling upon the balrog it would have been quite good.
What is Durin’s Bane!! These writers keep disregarding lore, either they don’t know it or just being incompetent hacks! Ugh!

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Haha, "Live, Laugh, Love." Am I right?

:messenger_expressionless:🔫
Think about how much time you waste on this show. At least an hour every week. You probably watch some YouTube videos to give you an opinion and talking points you can regurgitate.

Not to mention the time you spend posting in this thread. One day you're going to grow up and free time will be a luxury. You're going to have a hard time if you spend so much it being pissed off.

Kimahri

Banned
Think about how much time you waste on this show. At least an hour every week. You probably watch some YouTube videos to give you an opinion and talking points you can regurgitate.

Not to mention the time you spend posting in this thread. One day you're going to grow up and free time will be a luxury. You're going to have a hard time if you spend so much it being pissed off.
I'm 40, married, kids, full time job, and smart.

Smart, you say? Yeah, I am. I got myself into a profession with short days, lots of vacation, and plenty of time for whatever I feel like.

If an hour a week is a problem in your life, you made som bad choices along the way my friend.

PhaseJump

Banned

So you come to this thread and imply someone else wastes time watching this, posting here, and that they are disingenuous, getting their opinions from others?

get-out-leave.gif

118005.gif

Hardensoul

Wait, Halbrand was NOT healed before he rode off? he rode off to get healed? I assumed he was healed in the tent or something, because riding off to the elves is gonna take weeks, and he had a gash across his entire fucking body.
Yup! That’s what happened! 😂 🤦‍♂️

Edit: if you look at map of where they are heading! It’ll take a month! But with these writers, it’ll be next scene! 😂

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Wait, Halbrand was NOT healed before he rode off? he rode off to get healed? I assumed he was healed in the tent or something, because riding off to the elves is gonna take weeks, and he had a gash across his entire fucking body.

J J Abrams' influence probably helped remove the whole concept of time and distance from the continuity. The magic of television works in mysterious ways.

Alex11

Watching shows you don’t like.. “living the dream”!
Why do you keep saying this? For the love of all that is good, criticizing isn't hate, isn't dislike, disgust or whatever. If you think that we sit and watch Youtube videos to fuel some hatred, you couldn't be more far from the truth.

Do you not have a favourite sports team that somewhere along the way had a shitty period of time? Well, this is something like this, I have one, you still support it and like it, you're just disappointed that they don't/can't do better, you swear like a lunatic for a few hours then you move on. It's very simple.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Did this week's torching of the caravan of courage inadvertently force the ones who stayed behind to dig hobbit holes to live in; sticking around to live in the hobo wizard's newly revived apple orchard?

Did this week drop a subtle origin story for the Shire without us knowing it?

200w.gif

Hopefully they spell it out in the finale next week... with big on-screen text.
Those of us who were lobotomized by watching this season will probably need all the spoon fed assistance we can get by the end of it.

Last edited:
My wife and I burst out laughing at this. Because we thought they were going to get the medicine and come back to heal him.

Fbh

Last week I said it was dumb fun.
This week it was just dumb.

What a boring, slow chapter

Next episode. A Balrog.

As far as I know they would first need to mine some Mithril to awaken the Balrog.
But then again they now made it some some magic metal that will save the elves or something so maybe they awaken it on the first day of mining or something

pramod

Banned
Last week I said it was dumb fun.
This week it was just dumb.

What a boring, slow chapter

As far as I know they would first need to mine some Mithril to awaken the Balrog.
But then again they now made it some some magic metal that will save the elves or something so maybe they awaken it on the first day of mining or something
I thought the leaf already woke it up?

Tams

Mate, the only YouTube videos I watch about this are the Charlie Hopkinson ones taking the piss out of it. I've watched bits of one or two of the ones posted here, but I don't need them to 'give me talking points'. As for this thread; these comments take me minutes, if not seconds to bang out. It's also fun to complain with others.

It doesn't change that you can't see the shit in front of your very eyes.

The show's shit and I'm only hate watching it (which is somewhat entertaining). And perhaps my scathing review at the end won't be deleted by Amazon if they see I've watched the entire series. I won't be back for series 2 though. You can enjoy that shit on your own.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
The foreshadowing in this show is so figuratively on the nose, it cuts it clean off to spite the face.

In episode 5 at the 27 minute mark, we get the king of dementia laying out all that awaits his daughter in middle earth. Darkness. We later have the whole cast of plot-centered useless fucks walk into a volcanic cloud, survive it, only to have the queen lose her eye sight. Wow! Those writers must be clever or something!

The only "dead" character for dramatic weight here is Isildur, the fucking lynchpin of the entire LOTR franchise being connected to this age; the guy who cuts the ring from Sauron's hand and defeats him. Obviously not dead.

I'm so glad they showed that Southlands to Mordor title transition though. I almost allowed my thoughts to wander and think of the lifecycle of Numenorians.
How old are their stupid teenagers, really? Considering they all live for centuries compared to the dirty peasants of Middle Earth.

homer-brain.gif

Fbh

I thought the leaf already woke it up?

I'm not sure if they are implying the attack is imminent or if it was just a tease of what's under the mines.

Lore wise they should first mine a lot more mithril. It was rare but they still mined enough that there were armors, jewelry and other stuff made from it.

But as I said, they already changed it into a magic healing rock so maybe they don't mind further changing the story of mithril

Tams

I'm not sure if they are implying the attack is imminent or if it was just a tease of what's under the mines.

Lore wise they should first mine a lot more mithril. It was rare but they still mined enough that there were armors, jewelry and other stuff made from it.

But as I said, they already changed it into a magic healing rock so maybe they don't mind further changing the story of mithril

Nothing is sacred and anything is possible with these fuckwits in charge.

DarthPutin

The haters in this thread need to consider something. Amazon purchased this IP because they knew die hard fans were going to have trouble resisting. "We'll capture MODERN AUDIENCES as well as the super fans."

Stop watching the show. It's not LotR. It's just badly written TV with cheap (expensive) CGI dangled in front of your faces seeded with references to a story you love.

Seek out well written shows created by talented people.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The very moment before the show hit when they were proclaiming (projecting) that they were the "biggest Tolkien fans ever," and same for the age group of actors (I mean "super fans") in a generation that doesn't read shit outside of 8 second TikTok videos... we all knew this was going to be a hot trash dumpster fire.

Half the main cast would be extras or one-off characters in a sci-fi/fantasy show of yesteryear.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

Well if they need Elf medicine to heal him and none is immediately available they have 3 options:
1. Take him to the elf medicine.
2. Go to where the elf medicine is and bring it to him.
3. Hope some falls out of the sky.

Option 1 takes the least amount of time and is thus the most logical.

From what I remember of the dialogue he likely has an infection, the physical wound has mostly healed/not going to get much worse.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
The foreshadowing in this show is so figuratively on the nose, it cuts it clean off to spite the face.

In episode 5 at the 27 minute mark, we get the king of dementia laying out all that awaits his daughter in middle earth. Darkness. We later have the whole cast of plot-centered useless fucks walk into a volcanic cloud, survive it, only to have the queen lose her eye sight. Wow! Those writers must be clever or something!

The only "dead" character for dramatic weight here is Isildur, the fucking lynchpin of the entire LOTR franchise being connected to this age; the guy who cuts the ring from Sauron's hand and defeats him. Obviously not dead.

In the book it was Elendil and Gil-Galad who defeated Sauron, though they died in the process. Isildur simply cut the ring from his battered body

Bragr

Banned
Well if they need Elf medicine to heal him and none is immediately available they have 3 options:

From what I remember of the dialogue he likely has an infection, the physical wound has mostly healed/not going to get much worse.
The most logical thing would be to write a script without him needing elf medicine that is on the other side of the continent.

Its just an excuse to get him to witness the creation of the rings of power. Its just poorly planned and written.

AJUMP23

The most logical thing would be to write a script without him needing elf medicine that is on the other side of the continent.

Its just an excuse to get him to witness the creation of the rings of power. Its just poorly planned and written.
But if he is Sauron the rings were his idea. He convinces celebrimbor to make them with out celibrimbor knowing that Sauron was making a ring to rule them.

Another crap/parody episode down! One more to go :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Seriously the only good thing about it is the burning of the proto-hobbits' houses.
Because they deserve it. Are we supposed to be caring about those "pure-evil" :messenger_smiling_horns: creatures?

They even managed to destroy the only good pair in the whole show (Durin / Elrond)
"Please Elrond come back, please don't LEAVEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!" (Line not in the show but could have easily being :messenger_winking:
The show didn't even show us that they were good friends (maybe a flashback instead of the one with Galadriel?)
Durin one moment hate Elrond guts and the next moment he defy his king's command for him. Seriously????

If your body is slashed across and you’re on your deathbed, what do you do? Do you get up and cycle to the hospital 1 hour away (most likely more since you won’t be able to ride like a fully fit person) while bleeding out or do you rather wait for 2 hours with first aid and pain killers and applying pressure to reduce the bleeding in as much comfort as possible?

Tams

If your body is slashed across and you’re on your deathbed, what do you do? Do you get up and cycle to the hospital 1 hour away (most likely more since you won’t be able to ride like a fully fit person) while bleeding out or do you rather wait for 2 hours with first aid and pain killers and applying pressure to reduce the bleeding in as much comfort as possible?
I think it's supposed to be some kind of i fection or something. Not that they even mention that.

The main issue is that he looks like shit and then what seems like the same afternoon is off for a few weeks' ride.

But what else could we expect from the moronic showrunners for this?

I think it's supposed to be some kind of i fection or something. Not that they even mention that.

The main issue is that he looks like shit and then what seems like the same afternoon is off for a few weeks' ride.

But what else could we expect from the moronic showrunners for this?
Nah this is magical middle earth. They will be there by night fall.

Top Bottom